Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TheresaJayne posted:

How do HDD with USB even work?

USB is 5V

HDD (Sata) has power inputs of 3v, 5v, and 12v

If there is no Double header how do they get the 12v to spin up the drive?

Further to that, I know Apple Macbook PSU is 19v, but the screens use 52v , how do they get that voltage without large transformers and AC?

Transformers don't have to be super large if they aren't making a lot of power, like the screen might need 52 volts but it's likely at a very low current draw compared to other parts of the system. But yeah there are 'tricks' to get higher voltage at the expense of lower current, like a boost converter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

mod sassinator posted:

Transformers don't have to be super large if they aren't making a lot of power, like the screen might need 52 volts but it's likely at a very low current draw compared to other parts of the system. But yeah there are 'tricks' to get higher voltage at the expense of lower current, like a boost converter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

It's interesting to pull apart an old camcorder from the analog tape era - a lot of them used tiny little monochrome CRTs, running somewhere in the neighborhood of a kilovolt, starting with the handful of volts a crappy NiCd battery pack could give.

A few people have actually turned them into displays for RPis, too. Since they generally run from a control board that takes low voltage and a composite video signal, it's not a difficult hack.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY7olqQF8iM

Nice little demo of one of those tiny CRTs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking of creating an emulation box and I heard Raspberry Pi was a good choice. How well does the most powerful stand up for this? What's the best system it can run reasonably? I mostly want it for 2d fighting games. Can Raspberry pi handle Dreamcast emulation?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I was thinking of creating an emulation box and I heard Raspberry Pi was a good choice. How well does the most powerful stand up for this? What's the best system it can run reasonably? I mostly want it for 2d fighting games. Can Raspberry pi handle Dreamcast emulation?

Dreamcast is pushing it. It can do PSX. 2d fighting games should be no problem, it runs mame and final burn alpha.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rutibex posted:

It's bad for emulation. Use an old PC you or someone else has lying around - it'll play the games better both from having access to up to date emulators and raw power.

The Pi is definitely not capable of giving you good Dreamcast emulation, and it'll struggle a lot with mid 90s and newer 2d arcade fighters. The most recent system the Pi can run reliably is Genesis and SNES, and even then some high end SNES stuff will slow down.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's bad for emulation. Use an old PC you or someone else has lying around - it'll play the games better both from having access to up to date emulators and raw power.

The Pi is definitely not capable of giving you good Dreamcast emulation, and it'll struggle a lot with mid 90s and newer 2d arcade fighters. The most recent system the Pi can run reliably is Genesis and SNES, and even then some high end SNES stuff will slow down.

The specs on the raspberry pi model 3 B+ is a lot better than something like the original Xbox, and I used that for emulation up to n64 just fine. Though I guess the graphics card is less powerful on the pi. I dont really want to use a full blown PC, i kind of like the idea of it being a tiny box I can fit in my pocket.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Emulators have gotten better since the XBOX and with that they've also gotten a lot more demanding. The Pi's suite of emulators, with some exceptions, are based on older versions which are less compatible and accurate than what you can use on a modern PC. MAME and SNES suffers from this the most, 8/16bit Sega stuff is close to perfect on the Pi though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SwissCM posted:

Emulators have gotten better since the XBOX and with that they've also gotten a lot more demanding. The Pi's suite of emulators, with some exceptions, are based on older versions which are less compatible and accurate than what you can use on a modern PC. MAME and SNES suffers from this the most, 8/16bit Sega stuff is close to perfect on the Pi though.

That's surprising, isn't the raspberry pi Linux based? I thought most emulators were written for Linux natively by super nerds then ported to PC afterwards.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rutibex posted:

That's surprising, isn't the raspberry pi Linux based? I thought most emulators were written for Linux natively by super nerds then ported to PC afterwards.

You can run newer emulators on the Pi, they're often just too slow to be usable.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
RetroPi is the go to dedicated RPi emulator suite. It uses RetroArch.

Not counting rough spots, an RPI2 or 3 can emulate up to and including the PS1. Another way to think about it: PS2, GCN, XBOX, Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, and DS are the hard barrier in terms of power. N64 is a crap shoot. Arcade emulation limits are harder to define, but I can verify that an RPI2 or 3 can run Street Fighter 3 and Mars Matrix, but not MVC2.

The only games I've had intermittent frame rate issues with were SotN (but I'm told it was like that in the original) and, of all things, Kirby's Dream Land 3.

See also: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831406

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serenade posted:

but not MVC2.

:(
Dang this was the one I really wanted. I asked about Dreamcast emulation because my lovely tablet can emulate MvC2 on Dreamcast just fine so I figured the pi might be able to handle it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rutibex posted:

The specs on the raspberry pi model 3 B+ is a lot better than something like the original Xbox, and I used that for emulation up to n64 just fine. Though I guess the graphics card is less powerful on the pi. I dont really want to use a full blown PC, i kind of like the idea of it being a tiny box I can fit in my pocket.

No they are not much better. The GPU is still a 10+ year old smartphone GPU which is well behind even an original Xbox's capability, and this absolutely cripples it for things like Dreamcast, latter era arcade, and even a wide swathe of PS1/Saturn/N64 titles.

If you want something that can run them and fits in a pocket, buy/use an older smartphone with an HDMI out function on it, they will have improved GPU performance and can do a reasonable job for much more consoles.

Rutibex posted:

Most emulators are written for Windows on x86 primarily, and the rest are for x86 Linux primarily. The Pi systems are ARM.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

fishmech posted:

The most recent system the Pi can run reliably is Genesis and SNES, and even then some high end SNES stuff will slow down.
Absolutely this, every time I've tried to use a Pi for emulators it's never been able to go above the Mega Drive (even SNES games like Starfox/F-Zero will run like garbage).

However feast your eyes on these beauties which came out recently;

RetroFlag MEGAPi Case

RetroFlag SUPERPi Case

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Absolutely this, every time I've tried to use a Pi for emulators it's never been able to go above the Mega Drive (even SNES games like Starfox/F-Zero will run like garbage).

RetroFlag MEGAPi Case

RetroFlag SUPERPi Case

Those cases are awesome, i looked at them about a month ago! The genesis one has an eject button and the lid pops open where the cartridge would have gone, and it has a little storage space under it, perfect for holding sd cards, maybe even a usb cord?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

If you want something that can run them and fits in a pocket, buy/use an older smartphone with an HDMI out function on it, they will have improved GPU performance and can do a reasonable job for much more consoles.

My other option was one of those Android TV boxes, that's basically just a cell phone without a screen and an HDMI port. But those don't have cool retro cases available like the ones just posted.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ETA prime said the amazon firestick has a beefier processor than raspberry pi

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Super Slash posted:

RetroFlag MEGAPi Case

RetroFlag SUPERPi Case

aaaaaaaaaaaaaand purchased

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

mewse posted:

ETA prime said the amazon firestick has a beefier processor than raspberry pi
Raw power isn't everything: driver quality and optimization also matter.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bourricot posted:

Raw power isn't everything: driver quality and optimization also matter.

The Pi is still left in the dust on that score as the current Fire TV Sticks use a semi-low-end GPU from about 2017 instead of a low end smartphone GPU from 2006 like the Pi still does. The current Fire TV Stick has 1.5 GB of DDR4 RAM, the Pi 3b+ is still 1 GB of DDR2. The Fire TV Stick has a 1.7 GHz quad core 64 bit ARMv8 CPU, the 3b+ is 1.4GHz 64 bit ARMv8. The primary limiter for the stick is that it just has 8 GB of onboard storage that can't be expanded, and there's also no USB ports so anything you use with it has to be bluetooth.

Of course there are many similar devices from companies like ODROID that have the same specs but do have proper support for expansion and connecting things by USB.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
:eyepop:
This is exactly what I'm after! Much beefier than the pi and just the right size.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
This is exactly what I'm after! Much beefier than the pi and just the right size.

Sorry I'm late to the party. But this is what I came here to tell you, get an XU4. Currently on sale. There's also a RetroPi build for it that supports Dreamcast and Saturn and does a much better job with N64.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Can it play Radiant Silvergun?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Serenade posted:

Can it play Radiant Silvergun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNefvxoLGI
It looks like some Saturn games are spotty.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shawn posted:

Sorry I'm late to the party. But this is what I came here to tell you, get an XU4. Currently on sale. There's also a RetroPi build for it that supports Dreamcast and Saturn and does a much better job with N64.

Yeah the XU4 seems to be the thing to get. There are even sweet retro case available just like the pi. I think I'm going to go with this n64 case, as it adds 4 extra usb ports to the front :D

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

A while ago I had found an old CCTV camera in a box of junk and was curious to see if it worked. As the output was NTSC via BNC conector, I just bought a cheap BNC-to-RCA adatper and a startech USB RCA input. To my surprise it the camera worked pretty well, even though the quality is what you'd expect an old sercutiy camera with a 1/3 in sensor. This lead me to want to be able to stream random crap but not be tied to my computer or the camera just being hooked up to a TV.

So I bought a raspberry pi and a capture card specifically for the pi. There are some issues, but I wanted to post my findings as searching for how to properly configure everything lead to out of date information.

Panasonic WV-CP244
Raspberry 3 Model A
Lintest PiCapture SD1

The picapture card connects to the pi's camera port to take advantage of the native h264 encoding. This leads to an issue with NTSC input as the camera modes are made for the modern ATSC standard. So, the the image gets scaled horizontally and then cropped vertically. While NTSC doesn't exactly display the entire frame as some lines are used for additional information, such as closed captioning, it is still noticably cropped. On top of that the scaler tends to make it a little muddier as opposed to connecting it to my PC.

When I first started attempting to stream video it was delayed and had tons of re-encoding issues leading to a terrible image. On top of that it was running the processor at 95%.

I have to use raspivid to grab video from the camera port and force mode 6 (640x480) to correctly display the camera's output. Then pipe that to vlc, ffmpeg, etc. Originally, I was doing something like,
raspivid -md 6 ... - o - | ffmpeg -i - ... -f flv "rtmp://"

But this lead to terrible performance so I searched for alternatives. I tried v4l2 but I don't think there is an equivalent "mode 6" that raspivid uses; leading to an image of all noise. After wasting a lot of time I started to realize I was looking at post from as early as 2013. A lot of features such as v4l2 and ffmpeg with mmal_h264 support are already supplied in the latest raspbian stretch.

Using,
raspivid -md 6 ... -o - | ffmpeg -c:v mmal_h264 -i - ... -c:v copy -f flv "rtmp://"

Its a lot faster, although still delayed, and it only puts the processor at 2% load. I do have an issue with time stamps as the h264 bit stream has no meta data and flv requires timestamps. This leads to some issues with streaming to twitch where the stream will get error code 5000. I've tried a couple things but haven't gotten past the issue.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey so I'm just gonna barge in here, is there a pihole thread?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SniperWoreConverse posted:

hey so I'm just gonna barge in here, is there a pihole thread?

It’s here. You found it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah I can't get it to work

I should say I have an old netbook I put ubuntu server on, then I followed all the instructions to install pihole, and this is the result:

only 2 clients use the pihole, localhost & the router
obviously all adds still go thru to everyone else.
I can access the dashboard via ip/admin, but not pi.hole/admin (probably because nothing is using the pihole as the dns)
I can only access the dashboard on some browsers and not others for some reason

so basically I got a fresh new install, ran the pihole install script as admin, then changed the router to make sure the computer running pihole always has the same IP and that this IP is the only DNS server.
All the other attached devices act as if they have their old DNS info and I dunno exactly what to do to make it work for the whole network.

e: this computer i'm on now has the router set up as it's dns server, the router should then kick all dns to the pihole, right? idgi

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 13, 2019

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If all the attached computers are using their old dns info then you haven't got the router set up properly

Unless you are using static ip addresses, the dhcp settings of the router should have the piholes ip address in the dns section

mewse
May 2, 2006

I should say I have an old netbook I put ubuntu server on, then I followed all the instructions to install pihole, and this is the result:

I can access the dashboard via ip/admin, but not pi.hole/admin (probably because nothing is using the pihole as the dns)

so basically I got a fresh new install, ran the pihole install script as admin, then changed the router to make sure the computer running pihole always has the same IP and that this IP is the only DNS server.
All the other attached devices act as if they have their old DNS info and I dunno exactly what to do to make it work for the whole network.

e: this computer i'm on now has the router set up as it's dns server, the router should then kick all dns to the pihole, right? idgi

The problem is probably your router.

I couldn't stop my d-link router from appending my ISP's dns servers to the list after pi-hole's IP that I manually specified. I ended up enabling the dhcp server in pi-hole's web interface.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

check the dns on the clients, it should only have the netbook's ip. if its not, update the setting on the router, keep it as its only dns and reboot all your clients.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

RoboBoogie posted:

check the dns on the clients, it should only have the netbook's ip. if its not, update the setting on the router, keep it as its only dns and reboot all your clients.

yeah, it's weird, I did this and the clients still use the router for DNS. The pihole is the only dns mentioned in the router and this doesn't seem to be getting to the clients.

mewse posted:

The problem is probably your router.

I couldn't stop my d-link router from appending my ISP's dns servers to the list after pi-hole's IP that I manually specified. I ended up enabling the dhcp server in pi-hole's web interface.

this might be it, I dragged up some old post from somewhere that said this kind of router has issues if you try to put the DNS inside the local network instead of outside from the ISP or google or w/e. (unless you put in non-stock firmware)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there a thread about arduino and smaller electroic projects that don't use an entire Pi and operating system? I'm looking around IYG and SHSC but haven't seen one yet. I wanted to ask about bench power supplies and multimeters.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Is there a thread about arduino and smaller electroic projects that don't use an entire Pi and operating system? I'm looking around IYG and SHSC but haven't seen one yet. I wanted to ask about bench power supplies and multimeters.

I'd be interested in a general electronics thread. There's a 3D printer thread and a keyboard thread, both of which are areas I've got projects going, but afaik no general electronics

robostac
Sep 23, 2009
Theres the embedded thread in cavern of cobol for the programming side (though it's been a bit dead recently):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

If its the electronic side theres the magic smoke thread in DIY which is quite active:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

mewse
May 2, 2006

robostac posted:

Theres the embedded thread in cavern of cobol for the programming side (though it's been a bit dead recently):
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

That one's archived lol

quote:

If its the electronic side theres the magic smoke thread in DIY which is quite active:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977

Nice!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There is also a separate Arduino-specific thread that's reasonably active

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505424

though I think nearly everyone in there also posts in Magic Blue Smoke so it doesn't really matter that much. The Arduino thread is probably better for beginner questions while the electronics one is a bit more advanced.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
$52 B3+ kit

I ordered one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Oh hell, I didn't even need another Pi and I grabbed that kit. Thanks? :)