Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

triple sulk posted:

one of the dumbest halves of football i've ever watched

This isn't even in the top 10 of worst Bears halves ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

beejay posted:

Unlike what actually ended up happening which was totally smart and logical

It makes a lot more sense to call it incomplete than to give Chicago a free 20 yards on a play that was whistled dead by the refs after the bears lost control of the ball.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
It was ruled incomplete, why would they go for the ball?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Athanatos posted:

*3 point game*

FUCKIN NFL I'M TELLIN YA MAN

corrupt and wrong!!! hosed up im writing my congressman

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

Didn’t Brooklyn 911 get canceled ?

yeah they brought it back i guess

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

a new study bible! posted:

Because nobody recovered the fumble and the ball stayed in bounds. Literally a coinflip makes more sense then giving it back to the offense.

Imagine thinking this with such confidence. Lol.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

Refs can make up rules whenever they want. Though the fairest thing would have been to replay the down. The correct call should have been catch and fumble, no recovery ball reward to last possessing team da bears. Hella mad at eagles players just strutting around instead of picking up a football.

Each team picks their strongest man

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

Refs have had a shockingly bad day. Also trubs is trash.

Shockingly? They do this poo poo like every other game.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

euphronius posted:

Brooklyn 9/11...are you friggin talking about American Apparel going bankrupt? I mean seriously folks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dre2Dee2 posted:

If anyone had any hope of this playoffs being anything but the Patriots coasting to another super bowl win ahahahahaha

:confused: We still have the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs. Chargers played fairly well considering how good the Ravens defense is, and the Bears defense is still stifling as gently caress. Patriots are facing an uphill struggle

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

euphronius posted:

fox cancelled it and nbc revived it

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
This is a pretty average Bears game.

They are the kings of dumb poo poo

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The ball exists in a superposition of complete and incomplete that collapses to one or the other depending on who picks it up after the whistle.

Great rule.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

:confused: We still have the Rams, Saints, and Chiefs. Chargers played fairly well considering how good the Ravens defense is, and the Bears defense is still stifling as gently caress. Patriots are facing an uphill struggle

none of those teams are good except the patriots

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zyla posted:

fox cancelled it and nbc revived it

Ah that owns

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

triple sulk posted:

First time watching a game?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Been a couple of fun review situations for ref nerds today

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Glad the refs are getting everyone so steamed up

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Asproigerosis posted:

Refs can make up rules whenever they want. Though the fairest thing would have been to replay the down. The correct call should have been catch and fumble, no recovery ball reward to last possessing team da bears. Hella mad at eagles players just strutting around instead of picking up a football.

they DID replay the down

why is everyone talking about fumbles and recoveries, this play had nothing to do with that, it was whether or not the pass was incomplete. they hosed up the ruling AND the tesult, as if it were an incomplete pass it should have been fourth down, and if it were a fumble they should have got the ball at the five

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

beejay posted:

Imagine thinking this with such confidence. Lol.

Is the offense not required to field fumbles? I'm not a rules expert, but if a fumble is when no team possesses the ball, if it were called a fumble, why would it make sense to give it to the offense? Neither team picked it up.

That's why the referee call makes sense. Maybe there's some poo poo deep in the rulebook that contradicts it, IDK.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

triple sulk posted:

Its nice that both the playoff games today were total clownball so far.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Redoing the down sorta makes sense since the play never actually ended so heck why not

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Put everybody where they were standing when the whistle blew to stop the play. Then blow the whistle to re-start it, after greasing the ball with vasoline.

Dr. Cuddles
Jul 18, 2010
imagine four footballs on the edge of a cliff

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What happened to Trin?

Can he come back and explain that play for us while also Role Playing as Ecco the Dolphin?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

indigi posted:

they DID replay the down

why is everyone talking about fumbles and recoveries, this play had nothing to do with that, it was whether or not the pass was incomplete. they hosed up the ruling AND the tesult, as if it were an incomplete pass it should have been fourth down, and if it were a fumble they should have got the ball at the five

But it had everything to do with that. They straight up said if someone picked the ball up, it would have magically become complete and a fumble.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
actually youll find that wildcard weekend has so far owned and in the running for 2019's comedy of the year

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Put everybody where they were standing when the whistle blew to stop the play. Then blow the whistle to re-start it, after greasing the ball with vasoline.

The old XFL kickoff play, I like it.

Hire this man NFL

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

beejay posted:

But it had everything to do with that. They straight up said if someone picked the ball up, it would have magically become complete and a fumble.

but that's my point, nobody picked it up. so it was incomplete. but they got to replay the down anyway

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Luv 2 hear Terry McCauley, a guy whose job for 17 years was to know the NFL rules, start a sentence with "I guess..."

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm sad that football will be over this week before dinner. :sigh:

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

indigi posted:

but that's my point, nobody picked it up. so it was incomplete. but they got to replay the down anyway

Yeah I dunno, it's nutty.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

beejay posted:

You’re confusing pundits in a booth with actual refs. The play had already been whistled dead. Touching the ball would do nothing. The call was fine given how dumb the situation was.

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
Guys.

Is Dallas the best team in the NFC?

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cpranger posted:

Guys.

Yes

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

BGrifter posted:

I'm sad that football will be over this week before dinner. :sigh:

Eat earlier

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

deedee megadoodoo posted:

You’re confusing pundits in a booth with actual refs. The play had already been whistled dead. Touching the ball would do nothing. The call was fine given how dumb the situation was.

Fair enough.

Is Toyota doing a Chuck Norris meme 15 years late?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

cpranger posted:

Guys.

I guess...

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm not going to find out the outcome for this game for another 4 hours unless some gracious passenger or pilot gives us the play by play on our flight, see you on the other side, Bears goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Frankly the replay booth screwed up by blowing for the review, they gotta know the possible outcomes