Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

1. The NOLA game was a fluke, save for the fact that Dallas actually has a pretty great run defense and NOLA couldn't get the run going.

2. Dallas is better than SEA, but if Linehan wants to keep eating his own poo poo about avoiding play action like it's the loving plague and never letting the best (by EPA and efficiency) running QB in the league actually run the loving ball, then Dallas will lose regardless of the talent gap.

3. This Dallas team had the largest disparity between talent(good) and coaching (bad) in the NFL since Hue Jackson was fired.

4. Dak is so much better than everyone realizes, and he really needs this win to justify his upcoming extension to the sweaty masses before a ton of massive extensions are going to come up (D-Law, Byron Jones, Smith, Cooper); inversely god damnit Jerry you loving egotistical lich fire Garrett, fire Linehan, promote Richard to HC and loving die, but I know you won't if they win today so whatever we're hosed either way GO COWBOYS

Agree with all of this. I can deal with them keeping Garrett if they win. I’ll be happy if they fire Garrett if they lose. Nightmare scenario is they lose and JJ keeps Garrett. And Dak leaves when they lowball him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Drew Brees is the 🐐

Brees and Payton are the best QB coach combo ever

Look, as much as I love what they've done its frankly impossible to argue any duo other than Brady/Belichick as the greatest ever.

Both Parcells guys though

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

blarzgh posted:

Look, as much as I love what they've done its frankly impossible to argue any duo other than Brady/Belichick as the greatest ever.

If you are judging solely based off of winning Super Bowls, I would agree with you. But I think in terms of game planning, creative and exciting play calling, and chemistry, Payton and Brees are better. Also Brees and Payton aren’t gigantic assholes.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

I think you could make a solid argument for Chuck Noll and Terry Bradshaw.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
As much as it pains, me, A-aron Rodgers is the best QB. Thankfully, McCarthy is like the worst NFL coach with a winning record in history. Yes, worse than Gruden, who won't have a winning record soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Could you imagine if Sean Payton had been able to get the cowboys to trade him Tony Romo before he replaced Bledsoe?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Could you imagine if Sean Payton had been able to get the cowboys to trade him Tony Romo before he replaced Bledsoe?

The Saints would have never made it to the Super Bowl, you mean?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Ugh. Sportsball.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’m sure somewhere on this dumb forum you can find people to talk about theater with

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
We need a palate cleanser, a perspective we can all agree upon.

Selachian posted:

Bravely Beating Up That Straw Man

I think the comics thread is getting ready to drop it from posting circulation, which is...let me put it this way, they still run Funky Winkerbean.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alexeythegreat posted:

That's by definition any [gridiron] football or baseball team in existence because these are highly regional sports

I'm not sure what you mean by this but my post was sarcastic. People getting mad about sports loyalties is the silliest thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Brees and Payton are the best QB coach combo ever

most olds lose a step as they decay into obsolescence, so its nice to see you're still v funny

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

most olds lose a step as they decay into obsolescence, so its nice to see you're still v funny

Glad u laugh

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Ugh. Sportsball.

Your elf husband is probably an Eagles fan

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’m sure somewhere on this dumb forum you can find people to talk about theater with

Who summons me to Midgard?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Sportsball. Ugh.
Scots Chud comics. Ugh.
Musical Theater. Ugh.
Online Gaming. Ugh.

Since spiders are too scary,
how about log cabin chat instead?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
is that the hospital where u were born

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Good morning everyone.

how bout them cowboys?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

is that the hospital where u were born

:lol: “hospital” Goat Man was birthed by the light of a kerosene lamp on a bed stuffed with hay

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Good morning everyone.

how bout them cowboys?

Can’t decide if I prefer playing the Saints, who the Cowboys already beat*. Or play the Rams, who seem to be fading. But playing the Rams means the Eagles have to win today, so nah. Bring on the Saints.

Go Cowboys.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Can’t decide if I prefer playing the Saints, who the Cowboys already beat*. Or play the Rams, who seem to be fading. But playing the Rams means the Eagles have to win today, so nah. Bring on the Saints.

Go Cowboys.

If the eagles win today and both cowboys and eagles win next week, the NFCCG is in Dallas.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Still wondering what Seattle was thinking with a drop onside kick, a tactic that as far as I can tell has never worked in the history of the modern NFL*?

*Assuming you could even onside kick in the 30’s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Their punter was the backup kicker. He drop kicked last week when seabass was out for half the game. He practiced some kicking from the tee and was atrocious. The only way he had any accuracy was drop kicking. He just accidentally put too much juice into it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the eagles win today and both cowboys and eagles win next week, the NFCCG is in Dallas.

If hugs were currency there would be peace on earth and good will towards all but the Saints are gonna win and no one wants to touch cowboy fans

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the eagles win today they are going to get steamrolled next week

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I think we can all agree that the worst possible super bowl would be Rams-Chargers. There is no less deserving “fan base” in all of sports.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So hey, on a serious note, I think I might need to quit my job. I’ve only been there two and a half months, but I don’t see it changing with more experience. I’m going to work excessive hours. I’m going to have more cases than I can handle. And people’s lives are dependent on my actions. The longer I do this, the more severe the issues. I feel lost all the time, and, quite frankly, I don’t know that any amount of time is going to change that.

I think ethically speaking I should sit down with my boss to discuss this and just work to wind down my current cases and just stay on long enough to resolve them or transfer them to someone else. Either way, I cannot see myself doing this long term.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Go to law school, folks.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

So hey, on a serious note, I think I might need to quit my job. I’ve only been there two and a half months, but I don’t see it changing with more experience. I’m going to work excessive hours. I’m going to have more cases than I can handle. And people’s lives are dependent on my actions. The longer I do this, the more severe the issues. I feel lost all the time, and, quite frankly, I don’t know that any amount of time is going to change that.

I think ethically speaking I should sit down with my boss to discuss this and just work to wind down my current cases and just stay on long enough to resolve them or transfer them to someone else. Either way, I cannot see myself doing this long term.

I'm so sorry because this is awful and I'm awful but I burst out a laugh mid-way through this post
I have no idea what's the correct choice of actions in your situation

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm so sorry because this is awful and I'm awful but I burst out a laugh mid-way through this post
I have no idea what's the correct choice of actions in your situation

But it was that bitter laugh right? The kind where you've struggled all your life and then you see the meteor coming at you? Yeah I know that one.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd bring your concerns to your bosses attention before telling her you're quiting. I doubt it'll accomplish much but you might be more valuable than you think and they might be able to adjust work load/tempo.

Would you say this is worse that submarine JO life or that you don't want to return to that lifestyle?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’d rather be a sub nuke than this. SWO life was a breeze.

It’s not necessarily the work load. It’s the work load in combination with the real world impact of my work. I’m also broken physically and mentally and can see the impact the work has on my life. I get up, go to work, come home, and go to sleep. I’m too old for that.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Have you looked for something new? Is there a doc review mill you can work at while you look?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I forget, is this private defense or public defender work?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Private defense. Haven’t looked for anything don’t care/need a job while I’m winding this down.

Boss is a former PD type. And we have clerks that are licensed and true believers that can take my place. I just don’t think I’m personally able to do it.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’d rather be a sub nuke than this. SWO life was a breeze.

It’s not necessarily the work load. It’s the work load in combination with the real world impact of my work. I’m also broken physically and mentally and can see the impact the work has on my life. I get up, go to work, come home, and go to sleep. I’m too old for that.

Start actively looking for a better gig, you'll feel better. Well, a little. I am, and my job is arguably on the cushier side of small-time attorney work. Due to among other things, labour laws, but whatever.

Have you considered building a cabin?

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Going to try to actually post in this thread this year. Somehow made it to my fourth year in biglaw. Didn't plan on lasting this long.

Also didn't plan on still having as much debt as I do.

Hopeful that I'll be able to transition to "something else" but utterly clueless as what that will/could be.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's really hard man, I'm sorry. The first thing I'll say is you have to take care of yourself, so you should quit if you really think that's what you need to do. Especially in light of ongoing health issues I remember you mentioning.

With that said, though, I honestly think that sometimes you just have a rough patch with this work and can come through it and eventually feel better later -- especially when you first start and everything seems overwhelming. It might be worth it to try to take some space on a weekend, say, and ask yourself exactly what it is that is causing your feeling of burnout and fear. Yes, legal work is high stakes -- if you are a human being at all, you feel bad about the outcomes your clients may face and it feels like it is all riding on you. But with experience you can get really good and begin to feel like you are at least doing the best that any person can reasonably do for them, given the situation, and the truth is outcomes are often outside of our control.

I also read Trauma Stewardship not too long ago and found that book helpful for thinking about self-care in the profession and setting yourself up for success if you do keep doing defense work.

Good luck bud :unsmith:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

I sincerely hope you find peace and something that makes you happy. I mean no disrespect when I say this but what’s happening to you is what I was afraid of happening to me and I completely saw it coming for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Chicago's going to kill that poor kicker, even though it was tipped and the bears played like garbage.

Mr. Nice, I honestly think that feeling is normal first year in criminal law. I recommend asking questions more often than you thing neccesary and trying to see if it falls into place.