Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Xae posted:

You're assuming that the state and its agents are acting in good faith, unless acted upon by an outside force (money).

There are also cases where criminals are known, but have general support of the community.

A better phrasing would be that crime either requires one or more of: anonymity, state sanction or popular support.

Huge parts of the Rohingya genocide were allowed to happen or directly carried out by military troops acting on orders.

Now how do you tell those a part?

I agree. Rohingya especially adds context. My assumption implies a certain level of not being corrupt from the government. Which we extremely take for granted in parts of the US.

At some point one wonders when these companies that have such outsized influence, how one stops them. With the internet you have these companies which the government commit genocide is happy to help along, which only a unified world regulatory system could stymie.

In some ways it's like there's a CIA toppling governments and causing genocide with no national fealty.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

I agree. Rohingya especially adds context. My assumption implies a certain level of not being corrupt from the government. Which we extremely take for granted in parts of the US.

At some point one wonders when these companies that have such outsized influence, how one stops them. With the internet you have these companies which the government commit genocide is happy to help along, which only a unified world regulatory system could stymie.

In some ways it's like there's a CIA toppling governments and causing genocide with no national fealty.

It gets really fun when you try to address how you could do any of them with out blatant imperialism.

Is it really the best thing for Western governments or companies to determine the rules by which everyone else has to abide?

Whats more is this a problem that our pathetic ape brains can even solve? We've been trying to deal this these basic issues since Ancient Greece. Our record is pretty spotty.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Xae posted:

It gets really fun when you try to address how you could do any of them with out blatant imperialism.

Is it really the best thing for Western governments or companies to determine the rules by which everyone else has to abide?

Whats more is this a problem that our pathetic ape brains can even solve? We've been trying to deal this these basic issues since Ancient Greece. Our record is pretty spotty.

I guess thats why my basic answer is to kneecap their ability to make money in places like the US doing something, like selling personal information so they don't have the slush fund to assist genocide. Basically our lack of regulation means they have money to do even more morally objectionable things in the longer term.

Another example would be how the lack of regulation of ISPs like Comcast lead them to having so much extra money they were able to buy one of the original US television networks. Which has all sorts of undesirable implications.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RuanGacho posted:

Another example would be how the lack of regulation of ISPs like Comcast lead them to having so much extra money they were able to buy one of the original US television networks. Which has all sorts of undesirable implications.

You're really not making any sense now. Also most of the money involved there came from selling TV as opposed to being an ISP. You know, including already owning all or partial interests in a few dozen cable/satellite channels?

Or more directly, why would it be better for NBC to still be owned by General Electric?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Xae posted:

Now how do you tell those a part?

Uh, one is "kill all *insert race/gender/religion*" and the other is "kill the rich people who are actively making the world worse"?

fishmech posted:

Hmmmm, I feel like you miss Facebook's own guidance for how their rules work:

It's almost like Facebook is run terribly.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schubalts posted:

Uh, one is "kill all *insert race/gender/religion*" and the other is "kill the rich people who are actively making the world worse"?

I'm going to make this simple for you: a lot of the people saying the latter thing are using that to say "kill the jews". Especially online.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

I'm going to make this simple for you: a lot of the people saying the latter thing are using that to say "kill the jews". Especially online.
You're going to have to qualify "a lot" a bit better, because guillotine jokes aren't really associated with anti-semitism the way people talking about (((soros))) are.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

You're going to have to qualify "a lot" a bit better, because guillotine jokes aren't really associated with anti-semitism the way people talking about (((soros))) are.

You really seem desperate to ignore that the person I quoted said: "kill the rich people who are actively making the world worse".

Like it doesn't take much knowledge about the Nazis or modern Nazis to know that they will indeed use talking about say, "bankers" to mean "Jews we need to kill".

This illustrates quite well why one couldn't be like "well you can't say you want to kill all the Jews, but we'll let you say you want to kill all those rich people" is easy for Nazi groups to use to defend their own anti-semitic agenda. It's one of the deepest tenets of the Nazis that all the Jews are stealing from honest Aryans and corrupting otherwise honest wealthy Aryans etc etc.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

I guess thats why my basic answer is to kneecap their ability to make money in places like the US doing something, like selling personal information so they don't have the slush fund to assist genocide. Basically our lack of regulation means they have money to do even more morally objectionable things in the longer term.

The difference comes down to: Would the genocide have happened without Facebook?

Which is fundamentally unknowable.

You look at the involvement of a Facebook and believe it wouldn't. I look at the historical past of the regime and persecution of the Rohingya and believe it would have.

Schubalts posted:

Who decides what are the correct groups to hate?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Xae posted:

The difference comes down to: Would the genocide have happened without Facebook?

Which is fundamentally unknowable.

You look at the involvement of a Facebook and believe it wouldn't. I look at the historical past of the regime and persecution of the Rohingya and believe it would have.

Probably. But meanwhile Facebook has played a part and as a result of the actions of Americans and I think those Americans should be held to account, even if the law, nevermind society itself hasn't identified as a whole that they have committed crimes against humanity.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xae posted:

The difference comes down to: Would the genocide have happened without Facebook.

Which is fundamentally unknowable .

It's not unknowable, it would have happened, it's continuing to happen. Because it was already ongoing. Remember, Myanmar didn't lift extensive censorship and control of the internet by the military until 2011, while there's been ongoing persecution including mob lynchings of Muslims and several military campaigns going back over 40 years. Most of the Rohingya are refused citizenship status within the country and treated as stateless illegal immigrants, who are only issued the same sort of ID that in another country would be issued to temporary refugees from a foreign country.

It's really weird how people treat this as something that just all of a sudden happened, or is any way directed by average Myanmar internet users as opposed to long standing policy of the official military government and then the post "stepdown" still-heavily-influenced-by-the-military government. They weren't standing around waiting for enough facebook likes to pile up to execute on their latest rounds of blowing up villages and forcing people from the country.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

fishmech posted:

Political dogwhistles are far more noticeable than their namesake is. It would be incredibly obvious that their actual goal is anti-semitism. It's the same as when white supremacists say "thugs". Everybody knows what they actually mean.

Xae posted:

Who decides what are the correct groups to hate?

Is this a real question? In a time where we have literal Nazis, you are asking this. The list is incredibly short, and includes insanely obvious poo poo like knowingly making the world worse out of pure selfishness (hello exploitative manufacturing factories), genocide advocates, people committing violence against people in the name of religion, racists, sexists, or people against LGBTQ rights.

There are viewpoints and actions that are obviously harmful to society, and they should be stamped out through education and law.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Schubalts posted:

Is this a real question?

Is this a real question?

Policies have to be written and enforced. This is generally done by human beings.

The process of determining who decides policies and how they are enforced is called politics.

What is a great and laudable goal in your mind is in someone else's a dangerous and damaging one to society. You are all for protecting calls for violence against "correct" groups. You either don't or can't understand that not everyone agrees with you that those are the "correct" groups. Or even what the problems in society are. Or what direction society should be heading. Or if violence is acceptable in general.

Snark aside the point you're painfully oblivious to is that your opinions are still just that: opinions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Schubalts posted:

Political dogwhistles are far more noticeable than their namesake is. It would be incredibly obvious that their actual goal is anti-semitism. It's the same as when white supremacists say "thugs". Everybody knows what they actually mean.

Incredibly obvious to who exactly? How would you actually enforce this by policy reducible to a 24/7 moderation team's training for instance?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fishmech posted:

Incredibly obvious to who exactly? How would you actually enforce this by policy reducible to a 24/7 moderation team's training for instance?

We will create world peace by putting the other seven billion assholes against the wall.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

You really seem desperate to ignore that the person I quoted said: "kill the rich people who are actively making the world worse".

Like it doesn't take much knowledge about the Nazis or modern Nazis to know that they will indeed use talking about say, "bankers" to mean "Jews we need to kill".
Huh, weird. When he says "Kill the rich people who are making the world worse" you hear (((JEWS))). Why is that, Fishmech?

Are all bankers jews, Fishmech? Rich people in general?

When I talk about dealing with the feral population, I'm talking about stray cats and dogs. Do you hear "black people" just because that's stormfront slang?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harik posted:

When I talk about dealing with the feral population, I'm talking about stray cats and dogs. Do you hear "black people" just because that's stormfront slang?

Are you gonna kill cats and dogs?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

Huh, weird. When he says "Kill the rich people who are making the world worse" you hear (((JEWS))). Why is that, Fishmech?

Are all bankers jews, Fishmech? Rich people in general?

What point are you trying to make?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fishmech posted:

If I had to guess it's that, "when I talk about a shadowy bunch of bankers who are ruining the world, it's completely separate and not in any way related to a common conspiracy theory about a shadowy bunch of Jewish bankers who are ruining the world, how could you think such a thing???"

It's not a terribly compelling argument.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

Just because you see jews everywhere doesn't mean the rest of us do. Dogwhistles have to hide behind the normal meaning of words for a reason. It's telling that you can only hear the reverb when we talk about eating the rich.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Schubalts posted:

racists, sexists, or people against LGBTQ rights.

You get that if you limit voices as a privilege of only people with the best morals you are going to cut out a bunch of the underprivileged people that you claim you stand for, right?

It's not like everyone in an oppressed group magically becomes an angel. If you leave the rich first world or find people denied opportunity and education you aren't going to find people that are up on the best points of gender theory or inclusivity. If you look at marginalized groups they exist in marginal places, stonewall inn was a mafia run bar, that underaged sex workers congregated, there was crime happening there, bad crime, because that is what happens when you marginalize a group and push a group down: they end up having to exist in awful situations. Like, there is tons and tons of nonhateful people in gaza, but I can guarantee any hard anti-antisemitism rules you set up is going to impact them, the oppressed group, vastly more than it impacts the israelis oppressing them.

The world isn't simple, good people in bad situations find it hard to stay as pure as people like us that have good and easy lives and advanced education. If you cut out every person with a bad opinion you are gonna find out you are sitting in a room of just a few types of people and a lot of the groups you'll cut are large portions of the exact groups you claimed to be helping.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

Just because you see jews everywhere doesn't mean the rest of us do. Dogwhistles have to hide behind the normal meaning of words for a reason. It's telling that you can only hear the reverb when we talk about eating the rich.

PT6A posted:

If I had to guess it's that, "when I talk about a shadowy bunch of bankers who are ruining the world, it's completely separate and not in any way related to a common conspiracy theory about a shadowy bunch of Jewish bankers who are ruining the world, how could you think such a thing???"

It's not a terribly compelling argument.

Welp there you have it folks, being insanely wealthy is now a protected class so wrap it up you can't ever say anything bad about them because some idiots see jews behind every shadow.

E Oh hey there Q != E.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

So you're denying one of the most common Nazi angles exists or what?

Also hmm yes why would the Jew worry about frequent antisemitic comments indeed.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Indeed the world is shades of gray, especially re: genocide

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

Indeed the world is shades of gray, especially re: genocide

A black guy wearing a shirt that says "kill whitey" is not the same as a white guy wearing a shirt that says "kill blacks".

A disadvantaged group having rough opinions about their oppressors and no method to enact that is different than a powerful group with the power to enact things. In the US this is all simple and there is a stable hierarchy, that isn't how it is everywhere. In places going through big changes who is the under and over class can change and it's not always obvious who is in the shoes of the guy saying "kill whitey" and who is the same as the guy saying "murder blacks". The world isn't all simple.

Someone joking about guillotines in one place and time *IS* joking, in another they absolutely aren't.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fishmech posted:

So you're denying one of the most common Nazi angles exists or what?

Also hmm yes why would the Jew worry about frequent antisemitic comments indeed.
Yes, I'm denying that guillotine chat is the same as the usurious jewish banker stereotype, because despite your inability to tell the difference between things they are not, in fact, the same.

I'll throw another freebie in for you: Rich people having vastly disproportionate influence on our government is not the same thing as waving around the protocols of the elders of zion.

Besides, "guillotine" isn't the anti-semetic word you're looking for. It's "globalist".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Harik posted:

Yes, I'm denying that guillotine chat is the same as the usurious jewish banker stereotype,

That wasn't what was being said. They're both things that would be allowed under the proposed character the original poster was using.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What does this have to do with the topic of this, the tech thread?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Party Plane Jones posted:

Hey, you're here and you can weigh in on this topic, because it's actually about moderation!

Specifically, does Lowtax instruct you to prioritize avatar buys to at the cost of a measly genocide in Myanmar?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Party Plane Jones posted:

Calls for tech companies to micromanage world politics through mass censorship (but with a pinkie promise the leopards won’t eat MY face)

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Calls for tech companies to micromanage world politics through mass censorship (but with a pinkie promise the leopards won’t eat MY face)

I'll note that you completely ignored me when I pointed out that they already have this 'mass censorship' power and already promise to use this terrible power to censor things you say they shouldn't.

I suppose if they actually lived up to their stated policies you would do a 180 and claim that it was right and good of them to do so.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Family Values posted:

I suppose if they actually lived up to their stated policies you would do a 180 and claim that it was right and good of them to do so.

No? Why in the world would you think that? Facebook is the weirdest "this is a christian server" nonsense possible and their censorship is consistently absurd and arbitrary. Which is like the exact reason I can not imagine anyone looking at it and demanding "you know what? We could use this to influence geopolitics" and thinking that would work and be used well.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so i read through all of bad blood yesterday and the funniest bit to me wasn't just that sunny was 20 something years older than holmes but he was also chubby dumb manlet.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Maybe the issue is more about anonymity?

When people go on racist rants on video there usually are consequences to their actions.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
IOT stuff.

I bought a BT Blood Pressure gadget because I had two medical clinic appointments (needed stitches) where their BP measurements were so far off from the devices at the pharmacies and real doctor appointments.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

VideoGameVet posted:

IOT stuff.

I bought a BT Blood Pressure gadget because I had two medical clinic appointments (needed stitches) where their BP measurements were so far off from the devices at the pharmacies and real doctor appointments.

The cheap IoS gadget was off, or the clinic was off?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Blood pressure monitors are pretty well established technology, I'd be surprised if they were very off.

Could be based on what you had done or the location, I routinely am 20 points above on systolic and diastolic at my doctor's office vs. at home or the pharmacy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Harik posted:

Specifically, does Lowtax instruct you to prioritize avatar buys to at the cost of a measly genocide in Myanmar?

Yes, 100%, I have here a list of emails sent to me by Lowtax telling me to encourage genocide in Southeast Asia to generate more NPC avatars.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

enki42 posted:

Blood pressure monitors are pretty well established technology, I'd be surprised if they were very off.

Could be based on what you had done or the location, I routinely am 20 points above on systolic and diastolic at my doctor's office vs. at home or the pharmacy.

Home blood pressure monitors are not to be trusted. A study published a couple of years ago came to the conclusion that more than 50% of the readings of home devices were unacceptably inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do they still make the regylar cuffs you use a stethascope with? Those are quick and easy to learn.