Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone know a good place (ha) to watch the first few episodes of Season 3? Hulu doesn't have them all and the wife and I are hooked.

Somehow we've managed to watch with a newborn.

Yeah you have to use the nbc app or :filez: the first 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jesus Becker is still that "new show ted danson did with the lady from DS9" in my mind.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never even heard of Becker till the last time it came up in this thread

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Regy Rusty posted:

What?! It's Ted Danson's most famous role!

(I think his role in the 3 Men and a Baby films are better remembered than Becker)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus Becker is still that "new show ted danson did with the lady from DS9" in my mind.

Holy poo poo Jadzia Dax was on Becker?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

PostNouveau posted:

Holy poo poo Jadzia Dax was on Becker?

Becker is the entire reason Ezri Dax exists.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ironically, didn't Farrell leave Becker a season or 2 in?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Klungar posted:

Becker is the entire reason Ezri Dax exists.

Nah she got sexually harassed off the show unfortunately

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Regy Rusty posted:

Same.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
Obligatory “We’re in the Bad Place!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

Ironically, didn't Farrell leave Becker a season or 2 in?

I think she was on all but 1-2 seasons of the show (though I was kinda surprised to find out it lasted six) but was written out pretty abruptly between seasons.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Does anyone know a good place (ha) to watch the first few episodes of Season 3? Hulu doesn't have them all and the wife and I are hooked.

I just checked and they're 2$ each for the SD version on Amazon. 3$ each for HD. I've been watching it on the On Demand Charter Spectrum app, but you need Charter TV for that.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Davros1 posted:

(I think his role in the 3 Men and a Baby films are better remembered than Becker)

He played Gulliver in a halfway decent Gulliver's Travels adaptation.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Someday someone is going to do that joke with Bored To Death or CSI and make the original tweeter feel as old as we do now. (Ted Danson, of course, being immortal.)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Danson also spent his post-Becker career doing

-Curb Your Enthusiasm recurring spots
-Two seasons of Damages
-Three seasons of Bored to Death
-Like five seasons of various CSIs
-The best season of Fargo

All of which I would have put ahead of "Becker" on notoriety levels, but below Cheers.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

VanSandman posted:

Soysaucebeast posted:

I just checked and they're 2$ each for the SD version on Amazon. 3$ each for HD. I've been watching it on the On Demand Charter Spectrum app, but you need Charter TV for that.

I use Amazon and episodes go up around midnight, iirc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, I completely forgot Danson did CSI.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Wow. What a great joke.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Bored to death is imo dansons best performance up until Michael

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tequila25 posted:

That is so perfect.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Davros1 posted:

What?! It's Ted Danson's most famous role!

Becker was barely on TV here, I'd absolutely say it's not.
Hell I think Curb is what made him properly famous to me.

It's also pretty funny that the country that actually broadcasts and makes the show is the one where it's hardest to watch. I guess the same goes for ST:Discovery though.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 7, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Taear posted:

Becker was barely on TV here, I'd absolutely say it's not.
Hell I think Curb is what made him properly famous to me.

Whoosh

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

If it's meant to be a joke they're just repeating the one that started this? Which isn't funny.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I doubt anyone remembers Danson's first post-Cheers sitcom, Ink, which aired on CBS for one season from 1996–1997 and costarred his wife, Mary Steenburgen. It aired after Cosby, the second Bill Cosby sitcom where he was married to Phylicia Rashad. Both shows were not good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
ted danson was in this teen sex ed video with justine and justin bateman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62x54y7y54g&t=728s

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I've watched way more Becker than cheers.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Becker had some good episodes. There's one where Reggie sets Jake up on a date, and it turns out it's with a blind woman, and Jake is peeved that just because he's blind Reggie assumed he would want to date other blind people - he wants to be with someone who can see, because being blind is stressful enough without having to look out for another blind person too. Plus, he asks her like, "would you have set up a seeing friend with a blind person without telling them she was blind?" and she's forced to admit she wouldn't have. That stuck with me. Some surprisingly complex takes in that show.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

yorkinshire posted:

I've watched way more Becker than cheers.

I'm sorry :smith: You must have been... Bored To Death

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I tried watching Cheers once, watched the pilot and peaced out.

I had heard that the show had a much different tone the first two (?) seasons, which gave me hope that it wasn’t another HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA sitcom. That hope was unfounded

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's not often that a pilot episode is peak show.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Watch the first Season Finale. It's fantastic. It's still an 80s sitcom, but it's a perfect example of early Cheers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also they had a really neat Gay Panic episode which played on stereotypes without using them straight. It was basically Sam, Diane and the (suspected) gay customers vs everyone else's hysteria. It also had a great twist where the suspected gays were friends of Diane's and weren't actually gay - the actual gay customers were joining the rest of the bar's hysteria, a plot of Diane's (I think) to prove how bullshit the stereotypes are and get the patrons to chill the gently caress out before Sam threw them out.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

GreenNight posted:

It's not often that a pilot episode is peak show.
True, but there has to be something there to keep my interest.

It may be a case of the Casablanca Effect, where the show was so groundbreaking that its influence has become entrenched in the fabric of those shows which have succeeded it, thus rendering it unremarkable to a new viewer.

I’ll give it another try, sometime.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pan Dulce posted:

Wow. What a great joke.
What am I missing here?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

LividLiquid posted:

What am I missing here?

The actress' name is Jameela Jamil. Her character's name is Tahani Al-Jamil. The name of the character's sister, who is a total spotlight hog and who people fawn over and ignore Tahani, is Kamilah Al-Jamil. Which of these is used in the chyron?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

pwn posted:

It may be a case of the Casablanca Effect, where the show was so groundbreaking that its influence has become entrenched in the fabric of those shows which have succeeded it, thus rendering it unremarkable to a new viewer.

This is like me and Seinfeld. I never watched it when it was first airing, and now going back while I can recognize that it must have been amazing for its time and had a lot of influence, I've seen other shows do the same things better now.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Tequila25 posted:

I wonder if it was a mistake or a prank. Either way this is amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

I wonder if it was a mistake or a prank. Either way this is amazing.

No way it wasn’t a prank and it’s amazing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Cheers is legit a good show that starts fairly dece and gets even better, especially once one handsome and svelte psychologist with a velvety voice joins the cast
Just keep in mind you’re never supposed to admire Sam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The payoff to the longterm storyline of Sam trying to buy back the bar is still one of the most hilariously pathetic things I've ever seen :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWRxs1zvy2w