Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Gort posted:

That champion got chumped, so I guess I was worried about nothing.

In practice I've found players tend to zero in on obvious boss types and alpha strike as hard as they can, and keep it coming as fast and long as they possibly can. The scary attacks just add a little confirmation bias for them to say "yeah always nuke the boss" with more emphasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Ysengrin posted:

In practice I've found players tend to zero in on obvious boss types and alpha strike as hard as they can, and keep it coming as fast and long as they possibly can. The scary attacks just add a little confirmation bias for them to say "yeah always nuke the boss" with more emphasis.

Well he was pretty much alone in the encounter (being a champion and all) so this wasn't going to be a factor in any case.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gort posted:

more like a chumpion

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Jimbozig posted:

I mean, I wish I had that kind of power. The best I can do is put Captain Syrup into Strike! 2: Strike! Strikes Back. Will that suffice?

This is my greatest tablet failing and now my shame is known.

... Haven't gotten to play Strike! recently, I should prep some stuff for a one-shot and can it for later.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Gort posted:

He really did hurt though! Definitely wouldn't call it a chumpage, not from my perspective as one of your players anyway- we only made it look kinda good because he couldn't burst attack the whole party at once, which I will go ahead and pretend was a tactical move on our part rather than dumb luck. The two people he was hitting repeatedly were in serious trouble, I was only fine because I got up in his face really early before he started flinging out those immobilizes, and even then he did do his level best to pull me off a roof. It was a pretty drat threatening fight!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ferrinus posted:

I was hanging out with my ten year old cousin over the weekend and we had the Strike book on hand, although pretty much no other supplies other than pens, pencils, and some lined notebook paper:

He was able to immediately deduce that the final boss had an unreasonably high HP total and needed to be force-moved into the exposed tesla coils. He even used his Blaster power to summon a wall and trap it next to one for several turns.

I keep forgetting to post this, but a while ago I played Strike with my cousin again. We didn't have the book on hand so I just asked him what he wanted to be and wrote him a character sheet and pet, and then we did about 65% of a Shadowrun before I had to go.

Here's his character and sidekick (the sidekick is my cat)

Here's the part of the map he was able to explore before we ran out of time:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

behold the mighty tochka

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's dope as gently caress

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The older playtest expansion had an At-Will for Bard called the Chord of Pain (Target is Vulnerable 1 Damage) that is absent from the newer version. Was that removed, or was its absence an oversight?

Edit: Another question that came up in discussion: in regards to Bard's Expansion Boost, does it interact in the same way that Multi-target boost does for things like Stances and Feats that are specifically keyed off melee / ranged attacks?

Each stance has two benefits: an effect for your melee attacks and a passive effect. The effect for melee attacks also applies to non-ranged Burst attacks if you are a Blaster. (page 108)

I figure it would be the same, but thought I would ask because the quote above was before the Expansion classes were a thing.

Edit 2: One more question: with all classes getting 3 at-wills, does that apply to Bard's Chords as well? It feels as though I end up with more at-will Melodies than I know what to do with (three at level 1, four at level 5, and five and level 9), but only the two at-will Chords at level 1 for the life of the Bard. I'd happily trade a Melody for a Chord.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 28, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ghostpilot posted:

The older playtest expansion had an At-Will for Bard called the Chord of Pain (Target is Vulnerable 1 Damage) that is absent from the newer version. Was that removed, or was its absence an oversight?

Edit: Another question that came up in discussion: in regards to Bard's Expansion Boost, does it interact in the same way that Multi-target boost does for things like Stances and Feats that are specifically keyed off melee / ranged attacks?

Each stance has two benefits: an effect for your melee attacks and a passive effect. The effect for melee attacks also applies to non-ranged Burst attacks if you are a Blaster. (page 108)

I figure it would be the same, but thought I would ask because the quote above was before the Expansion classes were a thing.

Edit 2: One more question: with all classes getting 3 at-wills, does that apply to Bard's Chords as well? It feels as though I end up with more at-will Melodies than I know what to do with (three at level 1, four at level 5, and five and level 9), but only the two at-will Chords at level 1 for the life of the Bard. I'd happily trade a Melody for a Chord.

Chord of Pain was too strong, got tossed out.

RAW right now, the stances wouldn't work with Chord of Expansion-boosted attacks. But they probably should. I will re-word it to add: "For any rules interactions, treat target as a Blaster for that attack."

Bard only gets the 2 at-will chords. Most characters don't have even that many choices with regards to their Role Actions.

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
My Masks GM has transitioned the game over to Strike! He runs Sunday nights at 9PM EST and is looking for 1-2 players. Roll20 LFG is here: https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/118099/definitely-heroes

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Looking at the Ogre class: Can both players move the one character on their turn? How does targeting one player vs another player work? Do AoEs hit both?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Looking at the Ogre class: Can both players move the one character on their turn? How does targeting one player vs another player work? Do AoEs hit both?

1 Yes, but also we have a new version that works a bit differently in terms of movement because that was too much movement. The brawny side will get to control movement and positioning oike normal (with the option to save it's move action for the brainy side's turn) while the brainy side will get to use their move actions to do other stuff (and can also move as a contingency like if the brawny side is taken out). I'll send it to you if you like.

2 attackers can target whichever they like.
3 AoEs will hit both, yes.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Jimbozig posted:

1 Yes, but also we have a new version that works a bit differently in terms of movement because that was too much movement. The brawny side will get to control movement and positioning oike normal (with the option to save it's move action for the brainy side's turn) while the brainy side will get to use their move actions to do other stuff (and can also move as a contingency like if the brawny side is taken out). I'll send it to you if you like.

2 attackers can target whichever they like.
3 AoEs will hit both, yes.

Oh yeah, if you've got an updated version, I'd love to see it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If you roll a saving throw at the start of the turn instead of the end while having ongoing damage, do you not take the damage the turn if you pass?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
so any new updates planned for the Playtest Classes soon Jimbozig, cause I'm thinking about getting a copy printed out soon in case I get a chance to run it, and it'd stink if I had gotten it printed right before you released an update

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

so any new updates planned for the Playtest Classes soon Jimbozig, cause I'm thinking about getting a copy printed out soon in case I get a chance to run it, and it'd stink if I had gotten it printed right before you released an update

Yeah, I will post an updated version soon (I think I might get time for it tonight?) Not many updates, since I've been testing other stuff mainly, but the Ogre's move actions are the most significantly different. I also have two versions of the berserker that I'd like opinions on, so I'll post those up as well.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, I will post an updated version soon (I think I might get time for it tonight?) Not many updates, since I've been testing other stuff mainly, but the Ogre's move actions are the most significantly different. I also have two versions of the berserker that I'd like opinions on, so I'll post those up as well.

Sounds good, what other stuff are you working on currently anyways?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds good, what other stuff are you working on currently anyways?

Lots of stuff, not all strike-related.

What I've been playtesting is "momentum" rules, with the idea of having a single system that allows for a) tying a series of fights together, b) enabling different kinds of fight features like timed missions or reinforcements, and c) giving the GM more tools for making dynamic fights with cool environmental effects. The first fights we tried with it were good because the players were doing well, but when we got into a fight where the players started to lose and take a lot of strikes, the system didn't hold up, so I'm back to the drawing board a bit.

Over the break my wife finished the last couple of character portraits I was waiting on for Robbing Mr Seagull, the 6-8 player PvP scenario. So I'll send out a beta version of that for feedback soon. Again, if you think you can get together enough people to play it, I need playtesters and would be happy to send it to anyone who can get it to the table for testing.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

And here's the link to the updated expansion classes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqc4jie56xdjj4r/StrikeExpansionPlaytestMaterial.pdf?dl=0

Sorry I don't have a changelog in there. I didn't keep it up and it's been ages anyway, so I'm not concerned about someone still playing the same character needing to find what changed. Lots of little wording tweaks.

Anyone reading it, please check out the two versions of Battle Trance Berseker and let me know your thoughts.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm confused what the point of Separated at Birth is. If you want to be separate, why not just pick the other classes?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm confused what the point of Separated at Birth is. If you want to be separate, why not just pick the other classes?

Oh drat, I meant to take that out when I changed the move action stuff. Until the Move Action change there wasn't really anything that mandated they be stuck together so I thought it was worth playtesting as an option. I'll take it out and update the file.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm still desperate for badass treasure and trap rules for Strike.

If character classes are the focus, I'd like to see more takes on the "guy who shoots things with a gun" since all my players want to play is Shadowrun Strike forever - that ruleset where you gain powers based on your equipment loadout looked perfect for it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Gort posted:

I'm still desperate for badass treasure and trap rules for Strike.
The environmental effects stuff should work really well for traps!

Treasure is another thing entirely. I need to revisit all the item stuff I have written at some point and get organized. I have a decent amount of content written in that regard, but it's all a huge mess.

In terms of gaining power via equipment loadout, that's in the XCOM-themed game and is not even ready for alpha testing yet, though the doc quite long and full of literally hundreds of cool ideas. It'll be a big task to turn those ideas into coherent classes and kits and non-combat mechanics, but I can base the math on Strike's math, which will be a huge time saver over having to balance a game from scratch.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
In making a Shapeshifter, I had the mind of going with a One-Form Shifter, but after a glance between it and the Multi, I couldn't find a compelling reason to do One-Form.

The Multi-Form Shifter has greater versatility, feat support, and can replicate the One-Form's benefit at the cost of a feat. However, the reverse isn't true of the One-Form Shifter. I was thinking that One-Form could have an easier means of accessing their form or unique abilities to illustrate their greater familiarity / command of their one form.

It might be late for this at this point, but thought it was worth mentioning.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

In making a Shapeshifter, I had the mind of going with a One-Form Shifter, but after a glance between it and the Multi, I couldn't find a compelling reason to do One-Form.

The Multi-Form Shifter has greater versatility, feat support, and can replicate the One-Form's benefit at the cost of a feat. However, the reverse isn't true of the One-Form Shifter. I was thinking that One-Form could have an easier means of accessing their form or unique abilities to illustrate their greater familiarity / command of their one form.

It might be late for this at this point, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Yeah, I've said the same thing before and completely agree. You literally gain nothing from single form until you burn a second encounter power, at the cost of giving up a lot of versatility.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Somebody talk me out of using a traditional wealth system for my heist game I'm putting together.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

What are people going to buy with the money

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Moriatti posted:

Somebody talk me out of using a traditional wealth system for my heist game I'm putting together.

The wealth system fell flat for my group, I wouldn't worry about using a normal one.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Moriatti posted:

If you want to put in the work of pricing everything out, go for it. If the heist is in the modern world that makes things easier since you can just look up prices on Amazon.

One reason I went abstract is because price lists are setting-dependent, and I didn't want to make GMs do all that work for each setting.

Another reason is that I wanted to give players the ability to be rich. If everyone is equally poor, then traditional wealth systems work fine. But if I want to play "the rich person" whose wealth is itself an ability, then that blows traditional wealth systems up completely. Anything I can buy once, a 1%er can buy literally 1,000 times. So if you make a traditional gear list with prices, if a regular character is supposed to be able to afford just one of the relatively expensive items on the list, then the Richie Rich character will be able to buy the entire list. Just "I'll take one of everything in the book, please. Any of you guys need doubles of anything?"

The third reason is that it makes buying things uncertain and risky. Everything in Strike! is uncertain and risky (and if it's not, then the GM can just "say yes," which is still true even in the context of buying stuff).

But traditional wealth systems can be a lot of fun, too, and let the players feel like they are browsing and shopping, so if you don't mind the work of pricing everything out, and if all your characters are approximately equally wealthy, then go for it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ignite Memories posted:

What are people going to buy with the money

Various upgrades to gear for exploring and tactical battles, I'm going to be running a Megaman ZX heist, so I wanted a granularity for them to upgrade their abilities as they see fit.

Jimbozig posted:

If you want to put in the work of pricing everything out, go for it. If the heist is in the modern world that makes things easier since you can just look up prices on Amazon.

One reason I went abstract is because price lists are setting-dependent, and I didn't want to make GMs do all that work for each setting.

Another reason is that I wanted to give players the ability to be rich. If everyone is equally poor, then traditional wealth systems work fine. But if I want to play "the rich person" whose wealth is itself an ability, then that blows traditional wealth systems up completely. Anything I can buy once, a 1%er can buy literally 1,000 times. So if you make a traditional gear list with prices, if a regular character is supposed to be able to afford just one of the relatively expensive items on the list, then the Richie Rich character will be able to buy the entire list. Just "I'll take one of everything in the book, please. Any of you guys need doubles of anything?"

The third reason is that it makes buying things uncertain and risky. Everything in Strike! is uncertain and risky (and if it's not, then the GM can just "say yes," which is still true even in the context of buying stuff).

But traditional wealth systems can be a lot of fun, too, and let the players feel like they are browsing and shopping, so if you don't mind the work of pricing everything out, and if all your characters are approximately equally wealthy, then go for it.

Yeah, I don't know that the rich person archetype works for my setting, so this is good to hear. As I am going to run a (slightly less adversarial) version of Dangerous Delves, I figured I can occasionally give out "cash equal to appropriate fier of gear)" with an optional "save for higher tier, flashier gear" since that gives a bit more decision properties to the loot treadmill. Equal wealth is indeed a desire.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's rad, dude. I just finished up my megaman strike one-shot on roll20 last night. Ours was early megaman though, set in 20X3

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, I debated having it be a villainous game set in 20XX where players were all Robot Masters, but ultimately decided some background lore stuff in ZX Advent left a lot of room for interpretation and also that Cyber Elves, Bio Metals and Armor parts were all pretty easy to codify in Strike!, especially using the heroic skills and weakness matrix subsystems.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'd fucks with that game ^

In my game, the five Robot Helpers (fridge man, yard man, vac man, signal man and boiler man) saved their creator Dr Vatios and his daughter Martina from a the-purge-style home invasion of classic megaman enemies. He was so grateful for his rescue that he freed them all and declared them the very first Robot Masters. It was cute.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 7, 2019

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

Is this not still the case in Strike? It seems like someone with Wealth 3 can just handle all the Wealth 1 checks for the group. And I think you'd want it that to be the case in Strike since you're trying to model actually having a lot of wealth. If you can't buy a bunch of stuff easily, why are we calling you rich?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ignite Memories posted:

I'd fucks with that game ^

In my game, the five Robot Helpers (fridge man, yard man, vac man, signal man and boiler man) saved their creator Dr Vatios and his daughter Martina from a the-purge-style home invasion of classic megaman enemies. He was so grateful for his rescue that he freed them all and declared them the very first Robot Masters. It was cute.

It'll be me trying PBP, so you can if you would like!

Also that sounds super rad! I always loved classic megaman's dichotomy of cute character designs and the reality that a lot of times the robot masters would be creating a hostage situation, that just tends to work out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there any AP's of Strike! out there? All I get on Youtube for "Strike! RPG" are people getting blown up in Iraq.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Are there any AP's of Strike! out there? All I get on Youtube for "Strike! RPG" are people getting blown up in Iraq.

There is Trouble in Hogstown though I have not personally run it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Moriatti posted:

There is Trouble in Hogstown though I have not personally run it.

Naw I mean like, video or audio of people playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Oh!
Yes, check out Six Feats Under, they had a series where they played via podcast, I think it was just a few episodes.