Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SpazmasterX posted:

GDQ is a hot mess of a charity stream now. They don't provide any compensation (that I've heard of) to any of the runners, so these people are on the hook for their travel and potentially almost a week of hotel rooms. So now there's a lot of bigger runners that don't participate in GDQ anymore. The twitch chat is usually filtered to subs only, so you can't comment without paying. Nevermind all the drama behind certain runners and certain emotes. I believe Twitch even shuts down hosted streams so you can't even chat on a different channel about the stream.

Oh and let's not forget about the time when someone made a snide comment about an airline and the GDQ twitter scrambled to apologize to a very confused social media manager that had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about.

GDQ bans anyone with a personality but they will give their pocket streamers four or five multi-hour blocks where they silently fumble around playing Sonic or some poo poo. It's so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Almost everything on stream that isn't gameplay is usually cringe as gently caress.

Guess what word will also get you banned from chat.

"entertaining"?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

SpazmasterX posted:

Almost everything on stream that isn't gameplay is usually cringe as gently caress.

Guess what word will also get you banned from chat.

Pretty much any pronoun

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I refuse o play any game that doesn't allow me to invert colors

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm about to the point of refusing the game that doesn't allow you to turn off head bob in first person. Who the gently caress decided that was a good way to make it more "realistic," my loving vision doesn't bob up and down when I'm walking around.

TalkingBasically
Aug 19, 2018
it has to be like doom im sorry

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The difference is that in Doom it wasn't really annoying, probably because it was smooth, and the pseudo 3D engine prevented it from causing major fuckery.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

signalnoise posted:

Jet Set Radio Future is significantly worse than Jet Set Radio

It is, but the soundtrack still owns.

jokes posted:

Into The Breach is on Switch now, though. Best puzzle game ever made.

It's an incredibly elegant game. Glad it had a popularity resurgence during the holiday, I'd hate for such a little labor of love to be drowned out too easily.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The whole save/kill the animals thing at GDQ always makes me roll my eyes. I guess every charity org. needs dumb gimmicks, though.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

What's the best Into the Breach squad? I'm all about the Flame Behemoths. Nothing as satisfying as having the citizens thank you for saving them as the entire board is engulfed in flames.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The whole save/kill the animals thing at GDQ always makes me roll my eyes. I guess every charity org. needs dumb gimmicks, though.

It's a gimmick that brings in extra donations so it's fine imo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

What's the best Into the Breach squad? I'm all about the Flame Behemoths. Nothing as satisfying as having the citizens thank you for saving them as the entire board is engulfed in flames.

oh bro it's the frozen titans hands down, freezing is the most powerful ability in the game and the artillery not only freezes others but also freezes itself. It's insanely good

like if you want to play the easiest run ever just make a squad with 3 artillery from frozen titans.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

For 4-Island victory? I'd say Rusting Hulks, properly kitted. That being said, if you can get Steel Judoka past the first two islands in the game they are loving fierce.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

For 4-Island victory? I'd say Rusting Hulks, properly kitted. That being said, if you can get Steel Judoka past the first two islands in the game they are loving fierce.

The fire hulks with the little swapper bot owns bones too. Get him the pilot that can move after he attacks and upgrade the hell out of swap bot and dunk bugs into acid, ocean and lave all day. Swap them onto respawn points and skitter away to go stand on a different respawn point. The swap bot is hands down most fun unit in the entire game.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

signalnoise posted:

This is it

This is the worst opinion in the entire thread. We've found it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I thought most people who played both liked the first one more? I only played future.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

If the dungeons were as good as previous Zelda games and climbing in the rain were fixed BOTW would be the greatest game of all time (currently its the 3rd greatest game of all time, behind Solomon’s Key and Tetris

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Verisimilidude posted:

If the dungeons were as good as previous Zelda games and climbing in the rain were fixed BOTW would be the greatest game of all time (currently its the 3rd greatest game of all time, behind Solomon’s Key and Tetris

Dr Mario is better than tetris

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

You know what also forces ingenuity? Good game design. A bow breaking after using it 10 times is not good game design. It's moronic. A steel sword breaking after killing a slime is not good game design. It's frustrating and immersion breaking. 7/10

the weapon breaking is so that you don't just pick up a really good weapon and use it the whole game, its so you can get a good weapon early without breaking the entire game, and its so picking up weapons often throughout the game is always useful even if you already have a better one, its super well thought out, but i guess this guy is not immersed in the amazing and deep world of Zeldor because the metal sword breaks too quick lmao

i didn't love botw but people complaining about weapons breaking in a game that is completely braindead easy already are babies. like what, you're super sad you lost your sword or something? you should have like 7 good weapons on you all the time if you don't suck immensely

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

the weapon breaking is so that you don't just pick up a really good weapon and use it the whole game, its so you can get a good weapon early without breaking the entire game, and its so picking up weapons often throughout the game is always useful even if you already have a better one, its super well thought out, but i guess this guy is not immersed in the amazing and deep world of Zeldor because the metal sword breaks too quick lmao

i didn't love botw but people complaining about weapons breaking in a game that is completely braindead easy already are babies. like what, you're super sad you lost your sword or something? you should have like 7 good weapons on you all the time if you don't suck immensely

It's dumb to make weapons break all the time. there was already a mechanic that lets you tease powerful weapons and not break the game: ammo

make the weapons use some kind of mcguffen crystals with different ones being rare or drop from different monsters or something. then you don't feel like an idiot when you find a legendary sword and it breaks after 10 swings.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flannelette posted:

I thought most people who played both liked the first one more? I only played future.

Future is good, but the original was absolutely golden. I'd love a double remaster.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Can you not repair stuff in Breath of the Wild?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Star Man posted:

Can you not repair stuff in Breath of the Wild?

If you get a octopus to eat them they come back like new, so sort of yes.
The problem I had with the item durability was: it was supposed to make you try different things instead it often makes you not want to use your weapons and simply run away from fights since its easy and what you get from fighting regular enemies is often not worth losing your good weapon.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 7, 2019

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is COJ Gunslinger supposed to be a good game hampered by a bad PC port? Having issues with Windows 10?

I played some hours on Normal and this game has some serious aiming issues to where the aim assist is not helping and my headshots are not being counted part of the time. I picked up the shotgun in the Sheriff's office during a jailbreak and fired and missed two shots into the guy who walks down the steps and kill me while I reload both barrels. Killed me a few times, even when I only got one shot off.
There is also the problem with aimbots who hit me the instant I leave cover to shoot anyone. Even moving behind cover to shoot into a tiny opening results in getting hit when I can see them. Every fight ends up tanking a few shots getting out of cover to shoot someone and hiding behind cover, only being the clumsiest implementation of a cover shooter I ever had. Can't even see where the shooters are at times and I take damage humping the cover at a different angle.
Fall damage is terrible and your guy can fall not even half the height of other FPS protags without taking lots of damage. I died many times falling off a rock and the guy acts like he fell off a roof, because the aimbots suddenly put enough shots into me to put me over the damage threshold. The chase section after you fight the notApache attacking the stagecoach, got me killed so much I thought there was a certain path that won't kill you for leaving the area.

The music is also not helping since one section sounds like someone is always flanking me on top of buildings. Sounds like wood creaking under footsteps.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 7, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Caesar Saladin posted:

actually the real problem with durability isn't that your cool poo poo breaks but that you have to keep managing your equipment in menus

this is a system problem, not inherent to the mechanic itself however, and applicable to any game where you'll switch weapons constantly in any way more involved than pressing select or L/R

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

actually the real problem with durability isn't that your cool poo poo breaks but that you have to keep managing your equipment in menus

this is a system problem, not inherent to the mechanic itself however, and applicable to any game where you'll switch weapons constantly in any way more involved than pressing select or L/R

You can literally switch weapons by pressing left or right

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
doesn't matter. maybe you get a crappy weapon from a chest that you were expected to find earlier in the game and you wanna toss it out, maybe you have something that's getting low on durability but your stock is full, you still have to micromanage your inventory on a menu level and that's where the problem comes in.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

doesn't matter. maybe you get a crappy weapon from a chest that you were expected to find earlier in the game and you wanna toss it out, maybe you have something that's getting low on durability but your stock is full, you still have to micromanage your inventory on a menu level and that's where the problem comes in.

You can throw a weapon you don’t want by holding ZL and pressing R.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

It's dumb to make weapons break all the time. there was already a mechanic that lets you tease powerful weapons and not break the game: ammo

make the weapons use some kind of mcguffen crystals with different ones being rare or drop from different monsters or something. then you don't feel like an idiot when you find a legendary sword and it breaks after 10 swings.

Then all of the babies would be complaining about needing to pick up sword bullets

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
do any of these complete loving idiots who are mad about "weapons breaking waaaah!!!!!" not realize the whole loving point is to get you to win battles via more unorthodox methods

like luring a guy next to a cliff and smacking him once to send him over. or sniping an explosive barrel from really far off. or rolling a massive boulder down a hill to take out the entire enemy camp, etc etc

imo the point was you save your really good weapons for the pitched battles where you have to stand and fight, like when you get trapped in a gatehouse with a lynel at the castle

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The combat in Zelda games was never good, but at least now it’s interesting

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is COJ Gunslinger supposed to be a good game hampered by a bad PC port? Having issues with Windows 10?

I played some hours on Normal and this game has some serious aiming issues to where the aim assist is not helping and my headshots are not being counted part of the time. I picked up the shotgun in the Sheriff's office during a jailbreak and fired and missed two shots into the guy who walks down the steps and kill me while I reload both barrels. Killed me a few times, even when I only got one shot off.
There is also the problem with aimbots who hit me the instant I leave cover to shoot anyone. Even moving behind cover to shoot into a tiny opening results in getting hit when I can see them. Every fight ends up tanking a few shots getting out of cover to shoot someone and hiding behind cover, only being the clumsiest implementation of a cover shooter I ever had. Can't even see where the shooters are at times and I take damage humping the cover at a different angle.
Fall damage is terrible and your guy can fall not even half the height of other FPS protags without taking lots of damage. I died many times falling off a rock and the guy acts like he fell off a roof, because the aimbots suddenly put enough shots into me to put me over the damage threshold. The chase section after you fight the notApache attacking the stagecoach, got me killed so much I thought there was a certain path that won't kill you for leaving the area.

The music is also not helping since one section sounds like someone is always flanking me on top of buildings. Sounds like wood creaking under footsteps.

I loved the heck outta this game and found turning aim assist stuff off made accuracy a bit better but defs a poor port. Beat it on hardest difficulty iirc and must have played through a dozen times over the years. Best western fps since Outlaws or that Q3 mod. Don't remember any windows specific problems i think i was on 7 at the time btw.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wait.

Y'all are telling me that I can repair my poo poo in games like Diablo by going back to town and visiting a blacksmith, but in a Wii U Switch game like Breath of the Wild that's just impossible.

...what?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And your bow will explode after a set number of uses. It just shatters after it lets loose an arrow.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Star Man posted:

Wait.

Y'all are telling me that I can repair my poo poo in games like Diablo by going back to town and visiting a blacksmith, but in a Wii U Switch game like Breath of the Wild that's just impossible.

...what?

You don’t really need to because you find new gear constantly

And gear degradation in most games is just a money sink with no effect on gameplay. At least weapons breaking makes you have to consider how you approach fights and when to use what weapons.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Star Man posted:

Wait.

...what?
That is like asking Nintendo to port its games to PC like its competition. It is a maverick company.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

signalnoise posted:

ishikabibble posted:

This is it

This is the worst opinion in the entire thread. We've found it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sorry to hear about your love of mashing L

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bradzilla posted:

3D World is way better than Odyssey.

I wish they'd port this to switch, because my favorite mario game next to the 2 Galaxy games is 3D land, and I want to play World. I like all three of them significantly more than Odyssey. Odyssey was a still a dope game though.

Also Galaxy 2 is the best Mario and it deserves more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I said this since Halo:CE, but gently caress games that have hitscan sniper rifles. Or just sniper rifles in general.