Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really shocked that it took eight and a half hours for anyone to comment on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yaldabaoth to be correct is the Demiurge. A powerful god like being that could not recognize any other aspects of the divine and so thought of itself as the true creator and almighty being.

I mean we could get into an argument over the demiurge as a neo-platonic concept and as a gnostic figure, a significant portion of the latter specifically identifying the dude with the god of moses

and we could further argue over whether "yaldabaoth" was a name even used before said gnostics got their grubby hands on the whole thing

I'd rather not though

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wait, I'm confused.

So if the real enemy all along is the apathy/desire to blindly follow by humanity, then what do the seven sins have to do with that?

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

amigolupus posted:

Wait, I'm confused.

So if the real enemy all along is the apathy/desire to blindly follow by humanity, then what do the seven sins have to do with that?

I think that since this is the biggest enemy, the Sloth is the strongest because it spans the general public

Each sin is about someone taking advantage of others, whether for greed or lust or whatever. But for the Sloth, it's everyone trying to shift responsibility onto each other, this weird communal aspect of Sloth where everyone is victimizing each other through inactivity and intentional ignorance.

It's less that Sloth is the worst. It's about the context and magnitude

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's just that I can't see a relation between the seven deadly sins and 'people blindly following without questioning those in power' theme for the endgame. Like sure, the seven sins could be the driving force behind why some people abuse their power to take advantage over others. But it seems like a huge stretch to apply that to human apathy. Maybe you could say it's emptiness, but then the boss doesn't have an emptiness theme either.

That aside, maybe it's just me, but I'm still not fully sold on this idea for the true antagonist. P5 has shown over and over that people with power who use it to screw other people over are the problem. So it feels like a weird shift to say that it's the people's problem for not caring, since people already have a huge disadvantage if they do want to affect change.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Remember in the prison we learn those who were striking out like the palace owners and the mementos targets weren’t prisoners because they didn’t want to just blindly let others lead. That’s the connection, the previous targets were people using the general apathy of the population to take over whatever aspect of society they happened to be able to reach.

Shido thus is absolutely correct in his belief that God chose him to lead, as he is the one the masses chose to make their decisions and rule them so they don’t have to do anything themselves. But repeatedly the previous dungeons, besides Futaba, show that plenty of people did know about the actions of the target and either decided it was someone else’s problem or joined them. This is what the final boss represents, ignoring and accepting the abuse of those in leadership because it’s easier than rebellion.

It’s not apathy but acceptance and invisible support.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

DeafNote posted:

Nyx Avatar is almost impossible to top.

True. Even if you had no idea what it was it's very hard to look at Nyx Avatar and not immediately realize "Yes, that represents the end of the world right there."

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stroth posted:

True. Even if you had no idea what it was it's very hard to look at Nyx Avatar and not immediately realize "Yes, that represents the end of the world right there."

Really? I never found myself impressed with the final boss designs for the previous 2 games.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But yes, Yaldabaoth's boss theme is really remarkable in how unremarkable it is. Nothing about it makes it stand out, there's nothing about it that says "Yeah, I'm a track in Persona 5" like so many other pieces in this game do.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Between Shido's Senator Armstrong phase and all the subsequent "the masses are sheep!" dialogue I just muted the music for Yaldy and played Collective Conscious over it instead.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Yeah, I always feel that this particular cruel angel's thesis is:

"Humanity has a whole bunch of lovely folks who have distorted desires bringing about ruin (Shido, Kamoshida, Madarame, etc.) and rather than do something about it, people in general just pass the buck to others in their laziness. And in the end, they created me to be in charge of everything. And I get to pick whether I'm just going to rule the world forever with everyone all 'happiness in slavery' or if the masses are too lovely, I might just purge them all."

Interestingly, the Phantom Thieves of Heart, depending on how you look at it, are supporting his case, or opposing it. On one hand, they are clearly a bunch of folks who are stepping up and doing something about all the evil, even if it's not affecting them. However, they are doing this by 'assuming control' of other people's hearts, and in a way, becoming an 'authority' similar to Yaldabaoth, which I feel is illustrated by some of the creepy twitter remarks while our reputation was high. And of course, all the while we were doing that, we were doing it with Yaldy's express blessing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Shogeton posted:

Yeah, I always feel that this particular cruel angel's thesis is:

"Humanity has a whole bunch of lovely folks who have distorted desires bringing about ruin (Shido, Kamoshida, Madarame, etc.) and rather than do something about it, people in general just pass the buck to others in their laziness. And in the end, they created me to be in charge of everything. And I get to pick whether I'm just going to rule the world forever with everyone all 'happiness in slavery' or if the masses are too lovely, I might just purge them all."

Interestingly, the Phantom Thieves of Heart, depending on how you look at it, are supporting his case, or opposing it. On one hand, they are clearly a bunch of folks who are stepping up and doing something about all the evil, even if it's not affecting them. However, they are doing this by 'assuming control' of other people's hearts, and in a way, becoming an 'authority' similar to Yaldabaoth, which I feel is illustrated by some of the creepy twitter remarks while our reputation was high. And of course, all the while we were doing that, we were doing it with Yaldy's express blessing.

that's why he offered Joker the chance to stay the course when Lavenza was first reborn - the Phantom Thieves could go on changing people's hearts and soaking up adulation, acting as cogs within Yaldabaoth's larger order

Joker naturally goes "lol no, smash the state"

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 193: 12/24: Thanks, Satan

Music: Regret

Yaldy used his cutscene powers to gently caress us up again, despite us whipping his rear end earlier. Lame!

You’re destroying them because you can’t do that, aren’t you? So that you can flaunt your own existence. That’s why you were observing us! You had to because the reaction of the “masses” worried you!
That sounds about right.
I don’t know how long you lived, but you’re the perfect example of a pain-in-the-rear end old man!
You find people like that everywhere.
What drivel…

What is this!?
Dammit, I can’t see anything!
Do you want to erase us from this world that much!?

...I mean, yes. He clearly does.

G-Guys…!

If we lose… the world is…
I need to… get back up…

I can’t… go on…
Is this is…?

They mock you for revolting against a god. Humans are naught but clumps of desire. Logic dictates that a world filled with them will decline. The sin of rebelling against a god is severe. As punishment, you shall taste pain everlasting.

It is impossible for a petty existence like you to overrule my precedent.
Human hope is a desire too! You better not underestimate it!

Even if only one of us remains, we’ll get back up and fight to the very end. And we’ll definitely… definitely…!

Music: Desire

People continue to vanish.

Sir, what’s going on here!?

Weren’t the Phantom Thieves those--

Can they even do anything about a situation like this?

Rally (Watch this)

Huh?

Oh goddammit

Music: Swear to My Bones

How did Sojiro get here from Yongen?

…I sure am. Is the same true for you too?
Pretty much. Looks like it’s not just us though.

Akechi flips us off from beyond the grave.

No one wants you to rule over them! Isn’t that right, Maaku!?

I will see my justice through for the sake of protecting what I care about.
Morgana…
...The same goes for you guys too! If you’ve decided to take the world from him, don’t compromise your ideals to the very end!
Let’s defeat him together!

They’re prayin’ there’s no place for someone like you in this world!

Sick burn, Ryuji.

Give that evil god his final warning, Maaku!

Collective Consciousness (Watch this)

Oh gently caress yes.

Satanael (Watch this)

Music: Our Beginning

Man, it’s huge!

This is why man is doomed…

What better way is there for a finale as a Trickster!

Pillage him… Satanael!

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 7, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also i'm a little bummed at how the dumb joke i spent so much time on in the boss fight update didn't really get much attention, but that's the pitfall of hiding a goof like that

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

also also, not a ton of editorializing in this one but i think this scene of all scenes really needs to speak for itself

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's just been revoked. :getin:

But seriously, I wasn't sure how I felt about Yu summoning Lucifer as the personification of his bonds with his friends at the end of the Persona 4 anime.

I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Arist posted:

also i'm a little bummed at how the dumb joke i spent so much time on in the boss fight update didn't really get much attention, but that's the pitfall of hiding a goof like that

I thought it was great

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Satan shooting God in the head saved Christmas!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hail Satan :black101:

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Mankind ill needs a savior such as you!

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
The moral of the Persona series: Find the deific entity causing humanity the most trouble and blow an eighteen-foot hole through its head.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And that's why I can't hate Mishima.

Also, was super glad to see YAAAAAAAAAS guy back on the poll ticker. :allears:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I appreciate Mr. "Fan power levels -->".

Arist posted:

It was a pretty good dumb joke. (Also I should probably take a look at the Dancing Night for 3 at some point, that said.)

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Snorb posted:

The moral of the Persona series: Find the deific entity causing humanity the most trouble and blow an eighteen-foot hole through its head.

God Satanael bless us one and all

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Pillage Him is such a badass line.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'm a bit more partial to "Begone." but "Pillage him!" is badass too.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So we killed the personification of "humanity wants some strong figure to put their faith in so they don't have to think for themselves" by... becoming a strong figure that humanity puts their faith in because they can't do anything themselves.

I get that they wanted a giant pumping-up scene but the whole "omg 100% of people believe in us yaaaaaaay" thing just feels cheap as hell. We spent the last three hours fighting Yaldabaoth in various forms and losing because the public was ignoring us. Why is it suddenly now that not only do they pay attention, but decide that the Phantom Thieves are the ones they want to support? The Thieves didn't actually do anything different except get the poo poo beaten out of them.

Regardless, hail satan

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

I feel like more Chaos routes should end with shooting Demiurge in the face

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So we killed the personification of "humanity wants some strong figure to put their faith in so they don't have to think for themselves" by... becoming a strong figure that humanity puts their faith in because they can't do anything themselves.

I get that they wanted a giant pumping-up scene but the whole "omg 100% of people believe in us yaaaaaaay" thing just feels cheap as hell. We spent the last three hours fighting Yaldabaoth in various forms and losing because the public was ignoring us. Why is it suddenly now that not only do they pay attention, but decide that the Phantom Thieves are the ones they want to support? The Thieves didn't actually do anything different except get the poo poo beaten out of them.

Regardless, hail satan

Our consistently obnoxious cat colleague did...something

maybe

look the spirit bomb became satan, this game went a bit off the rails

Malah
May 18, 2015

HAIL SATAN

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

In terms of thematics it kind of goes against what it's going for, but god drat it's stylish as hell, especially with Maaku doing it all with his mask off.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Snorb posted:

Or to put it another way, we defeated the Demiurge...by pulling our Devil Trigger.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HAIL SATAN, but also it's worth noting that Yaldabaoth has been screwing with the collective conscious for a long time to remove any opposition to his rule. The idea behind this is The Phantom Thieves are awakening the sense of rebellion everyone always had against someone or something like Yaldabaoth.

Hence the lines about how he was afraid of Humanity's collective desires and trying to control them.

Then we summon Satan to shoot God in the face and save Christmas and it is wonderful :allears:

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I've managed to not hear anything about this game until this thread and "Satan saves Christmas" is amazing to hear the first time.

Also, the dancing footage was the first I've ever seen of the dancing games and I really didn't know how to react. I still can't tell if I want to see more of them or not.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah none of this really gels with me. Most of all the music? Our Beginning feels like it's missing something

But Satanael looks pretty dang cool

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, so the problem was that we were all very small and we just needed a 30 foot tall friend to shoot it with a much larger gun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't forget that the problem before was that there were some tubes and we just needed to have our axe-wielding girlfriend cut them with her axe.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

so the funny thing with this fight is that I just happened to be using satan for it

the radness of summoning satan to kill what is effectively the demiurge is lost a little when you were already using satan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Farseli posted:

I've managed to not hear anything about this game until this thread and "Satan saves Christmas" is amazing to hear the first time.

Also, the dancing footage was the first I've ever seen of the dancing games and I really didn't know how to react. I still can't tell if I want to see more of them or not.

To be fair to the dancing games, that was probably the worst possible song to set a big dance number to. Persona 4 Dancing used Reach out to the Truth for that instead of any of the boss themes, and it's actually possible to have a dance routine that fits that song.