Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Interesting, I will try that! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Pretty sure the debuffs like Wither can stack multiple times. If I recall they do something like ATK -2 instead of halving the enemy attack. And they're permanent, so you can keep using them until the enemy has bottomed-out stats. They're the sort of thing you'd use on a boss more than random enemies.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah there were fights where I just left that on a gambit for one person to use throughout an entire fight just to trivialize it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is this the thread where I cry about getting owned by ronin and mindflayers in the FFXV glacial grotto dungeon/chapter 3 story step? Because :cthulhu: :cthulhu: :cthulhu: makin' me sad.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 30, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Cook some magic grenades and throw them around when you see enemies you don't like to fight. iirc Ronins and Mindflayers are also one of those enemies that's best handled with timed guards too.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the tip; a few fire/fira spells and that was that. Hooray!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

Cook some magic grenades and throw them around when you see enemies you don't like to fight.

This is the solution to most problems in FF15

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Including the bosses and superbosses

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’ve lost my car and have a two mile jaunt to the next story mission to retrieve it. “No problem, I’ll just ride my chocobo,” I say, moments before discovering I let the rental lapse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fifteen of Many posted:

I’ve lost my car and have a two mile jaunt to the next story mission to retrieve it. “No problem, I’ll just ride my chocobo,” I say, moments before discovering I let the rental lapse.

dude imperials jacked my car

emergent situations like this are what make ff15 a truly great game

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Bitches I am the rightful king, why would you think I am interested in fetching your green beans or chocobo poop! Also stop calling me “you boys!” I’m the motherfucking KING and this is my deadly posse of animes!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You're not allowed to be king or queen until you beat the game, that's Final Fantasy law.

e: The After Years doesn't count.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fifteen of Many posted:

Bitches I am the rightful king, why would you think I am interested in fetching your green beans or chocobo poop! Also stop calling me “you boys!” I’m the motherfucking KING and this is my deadly posse of animes!

Youre not in your kingdom and also you havent been coronated and the king is dead, so good loving luck getting respect while dressed like an rear end in a top hat in a tricked out car.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You literally can't be coronated until you complete a sweet roadtrip filled with shenanigans with your bros. Rule of law dictated by the crystal and gods. Its a good, just world that way.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Hmm, sounds like peasant talk to me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't wait to attend Toriyama's wedding to Lightning.

(It's based on FF14's marriage system but still.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So in FFVI was it all part of Kefka's plan to get the power of the Statues? Like, he was planning to attain Godhood all along and everything went according to plan or was he winging it?

I never really understood that part of the plot. Were both he and I guess the Emperor just using Espers temporarily until they could get at the Goddess' power?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
kefka's entire character presumes that he does everything he isn't ordered to, on a whim

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

So in FFVI was it all part of Kefka's plan to get the power of the Statues? Like, he was planning to attain Godhood all along and everything went according to plan or was he winging it?

I never really understood that part of the plot. Were both he and I guess the Emperor just using Espers temporarily until they could get at the Goddess' power?

I mean, the Empire was using the Espers they captured (both from the Esper world years ago and during the Thamasacre) to conquer the world. Then when Terra got the Espers to open the barrier to the Esper world, it just so happened to give Gestahl the opportunity to reach the petrified gods and access the source of all magic. And then I think Kefka decided he'd rather just have the power himself because he really wanted to barbecue Celes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I mean, the Empire was using the Espers they captured (both from the Esper world years ago and during the Thamasacre) to conquer the world. Then when Terra got the Espers to open the barrier to the Esper world, it just so happened to give Gestahl the opportunity to reach the petrified gods and access the source of all magic. And then I think Kefka decided he'd rather just have the power himself because he really wanted to barbecue Celes.

Gotcha. I couldn't really remember. So it was all just kind of a stroke of horrifically bad luck for the world and good luck for the baddies.

That's interesting. Usually the villain has some giant overarching scheme for godhood that takes all game. Kefka just happened upon it. Makes him unique, I think.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 7, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Kefka mentions the Statues / Warring Triad as early as the Magitek Facility. Not saying he had it all planned from the beginning, but he at least had a rough long-term goal. He did wait for the perfect opportunity to take out Gestahl, after all.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Is there a comprehensive list of everything that's been patched in FFXV since launch? I played it obsessively at launch and got the platinum trophy, and then haven't touched it since. I know that there have been a lot of changes since then and I want to play the game again, but I am also interested in what new stuff they added (like useful accessories and weapons) and what mechanics have changed (I know the Ring of the Lucii got buffed a lot). I did a lot of searching on Google and Youtube, and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know I can just jump back in and explore, but I also don't want to pass up any interesting or OP things that weren't there at launch.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just started a new playthrough of FFXV, never finished my original playthrough, and found a treasure map. What the gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Shoren posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of everything that's been patched in FFXV since launch? I played it obsessively at launch and got the platinum trophy, and then haven't touched it since. I know that there have been a lot of changes since then and I want to play the game again, but I am also interested in what new stuff they added (like useful accessories and weapons) and what mechanics have changed (I know the Ring of the Lucii got buffed a lot). I did a lot of searching on Google and Youtube, and couldn't find what I was looking for. I know I can just jump back in and explore, but I also don't want to pass up any interesting or OP things that weren't there at launch.

You can fish on the boat now

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

S.J. posted:

I just started a new playthrough of FFXV, never finished my original playthrough, and found a treasure map. What the gently caress

sorry it's useless unless you can find all 16 pieces of it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The White Dragon posted:

sorry it's useless unless you can find all 16 pieces of it

I get that it's just a load of bullshit

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I started playing World of Final Fantasy on the Switch. Does this Tama character ever shut up?

She's unbelievably annoying.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Shart Carbuncle posted:

She's unbelievably the annoying.

ftfy

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I wouldn't be a good the jRPG without an annoying the mascot!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I started playing World of Final Fantasy on the Switch. Does this Tama character ever shut up?

She's unbelievably annoying.

I saw a 5 minute clip from the game, and that thing's vocal tic was enough for me to decide i was never ever going to play it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Easy trick to get rid of her annoying voice: play in Japanese

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

This does not a goddamn thing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Thats even worse cause I can't understand what they're saying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry you lost the ability to read

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Not being able to understand a Final Fantasy game is a blessing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Instant Grat posted:

I saw a 5 minute clip from the game, and that thing's vocal tic was enough for me to decide i was never ever going to play it

This but also the kawaii idol girl in Rogue Galaxy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

the-weakling. the-coward. insolent the-fool

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I tried to get into WoFF but even for a nostalgia addled fool like me the pacing/battle system just didn't keep me interested

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
woff's humor didn't entirely land for me and the combat became braindead simple after about the halfway point but there were still a lot of nice parts about it

the tonberry voiced by urdnot wrex and the incredibly heavy-metal backstory come to mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was enjoying it but it got shelved for other things at the time and I honestly forgot I owned it until I started reading this conversation.