Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What are the best Souls series LPs? I really enjoyed Squint’s Demon’s Souls and Kay Plays Dark Souls. Looking for something akin to that chill vibe for II and III.

Edit: Apparently I asked this question almost verbatim in 2015 and got some good recommendations for II, so now looking for III!

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
a good lp of Return of Obra Dinn? with more than one commentator please?

Herr Tog fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 4, 2019

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Herr Tog posted:

a good lp of Return of Obra Dinn? with more than one commentator please?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872849

OP and sister play and commentate on Obra Dinn.

Not sure if its good, I've only watched one episode.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872849

OP and sister play and commentate on Obra Dinn.

Not sure if its good, I've only watched one episode.

thank you and long live the GDI

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

thank you and long live the GDI
ban this sick filth in the name of Kane

dantheman650 posted:

What are the best Souls series LPs? I really enjoyed Squint’s Demon’s Souls and Kay Plays Dark Souls. Looking for something akin to that chill vibe for II and III.
Not exactly an answer, but I would suggest checking out the ongoing LP of Sinner by Nidoking; the thing is literally the laziest Souls ripoff possible and it will be a great aperitif for something actually good (when someone comes up with a recommendation for 3, I don't think I've seen a very good LP yet - Slowbeef tried but he burned out on Souls midway through and it kinda shows).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dantheman650 posted:

Edit: Apparently I asked this question almost verbatim in 2015 and got some good recommendations for II, so now looking for III!

CJacobs has done a very in depth LP of Bloodborne that focuses on lore and story. You should check it out.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

bony tony posted:

CJacobs has done a very in depth LP of Bloodborne that focuses on lore and story. You should check it out.

I have that bookmarked - working on beating the game for myself first :)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

dantheman650 posted:

Not strictly Souls, but Salt and Sanctuary is a 2D Souls-like (and not in the lazy "everything is dark souls now" way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxpw2brxYBA

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

dantheman650 posted:

I have that bookmarked - working on beating the game for myself first :)

Well let me give you an assortment of various LPs that might strike your fancy.

wottermelon does a group type thing with rotating guests that's pretty fun. He doesn't get a lot of views, but he's a good LPer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ3OBSShXNs

IGgy IGsen has a more completionist solo style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuUVBlZ6syk

Franz, a German Spy (a Youtube lorester) recorded his first playthrough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBuSUinySY

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I've started playing Monster Hunter Worlds, has anyone done a thorough informative LP of that yet? I'd particularly like to see what the different weapons can do when someone knows what they're doing, it seems like a game with a lot of combat depth and variety.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

TheDarkFlame posted:

I've started playing Monster Hunter Worlds, has anyone done a thorough informative LP of that yet? I'd particularly like to see what the different weapons can do when someone knows what they're doing, it seems like a game with a lot of combat depth and variety.

There was one in progress here, but it's essentially dead right now, or on extended hiatus. LPer said he might get back to it in 2019, if life eased up but yeah. Only one I know of that wasn't awful to try and watch.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheDarkFlame posted:

All you need to know is that Sword and Shield are the best.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Jeff and David have been doing a pretty informative LP of Monster Hunter World

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I can vouch for Iggy's DS3 LP. Nice and comprehensive.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Riatsala posted:

What's the best all mask playthrough of Majora's mask? I'm fine with informative or funny commentary.

There's also FaerieFortune's guided blind playthrough. She beats it once without all masks then goes back to get the rest for the all-mask reward.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has there been an LP of a game like Dwarf Fortress or even that game on the level of Boatmurdered or other classic series?

Disappointing Pie fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 7, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You should look up the various Paradox LPs, they have a similar "turning game events into fanfic" flavor to them. Crusader Kings II is probably the best-known for that. The Papal Paradox LP is a good one to start with.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Long shot, but is there any good LP of Settlements out there? The premise of the game interests me, but I'm not buying into that UI without knowing more about the game.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should look up the various Paradox LPs, they have a similar "turning game events into fanfic" flavor to them. Crusader Kings II is probably the best-known for that. The Papal Paradox LP is a good one to start with.

Seconded on the notion of the paradox mega-LPs in general being fairly awesome generators of fake historical fiction. I especially enjoyed Blood in the Bosphorus, by Empress Theonara, and Gold Rules the World, by ZeroethK. Both require Archives, but ongoing is Hashim's Chronicles of Al-Andalus is ongoing and the author has recently confirmed that we're going into Hearts of Iron IV as we goons in the Majlis have continued to absolutely gently caress up poor Andalusia.

Also, re: DF, if you haven't read Bravemule, you definitely should. Finest of all Dwarf Fortress LPs.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Looking for some lp's to have on my second screen while working, so something that's easy to listen to. Bonus if it's an ME andromeda one since I still haven't witnessed that shitstorm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nalesh posted:

Looking for some lp's to have on my second screen while working, so something that's easy to listen to. Bonus if it's an ME andromeda one since I still haven't witnessed that shitstorm.

It's not Andromeda, but SubponticatePoster has done LPs of Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3, including their various DLCs. She's currently in the middle of the Leviathan DLC for ME3 before moving on to finish the game up completely and then cap it all off Citadel.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there a good LP of NaissanceE anywhere? CJacobs' new LP mentioned it, but I can't find anything inspiring in a quick search.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Okay the Jeff & David recommendation was really good and I'm going to make some time for that series before I go back into the game but this playlist here is just so brilliant, I can't believe I only just watched these. It might not really be what I asked for, but you absolutely knew what it was that I needed. Thanks.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I only knew that you needed it because everyone needs it.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'ma throw another lp in there, Habeasdorkus' own Football Manager 2014 LP is fantastic and he does a great job of writing story and characters around an in-depth Soccer Simulator. Also check out it's sequel when you're finished with it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd only add that the first few updates of the fm14 lp are a little rough, it was my first lp and I was figuring out how to do it as I went. Once we get to October of the second season things really kick off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In your opinion what is the funniest lp on the forums I need something to watch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Turtlicious posted:

In your opinion what is the funniest lp on the forums I need something to watch.

It's Kaubocks and Panzer Skank playing Saints Row 2

https://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-2/

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's Kaubocks and Panzer Skank playing Saints Row 2

https://lparchive.org/Saints-Row-2/

:emptyquote:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I have good memories of Star Fox 64 done by Some Strange Flea but that never made it to archive. It's probably buried on a page somewhere in the forum maybe.

e: dang it's farther back than I remember. Started in 2012. Youtube playlist here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jH5xT6qV7E

dscruffy1 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 12, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Turtlicious posted:

It's Danaru and Grace getting hammered and yelling at the AI in Dokapon and Grace somehow not figuring the game out after 25 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP5tbmHwYkw&list=PL0TFeduoJDqrvsTvKdl0TvwkASv15C4qt

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Turtlicious posted:

I don't know what's the funniest; I'm bad at ranking but this one is certainly up there. Dan and Dad's Venezuelan explosion vacation!

https://lparchive.org/Mercenaries-2

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Turtlicious posted:

Skate 3 with Pete and Amy imo

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Frank Cifaldi, former Retronauts podcaster, did a really solid LP of Gimmick! (or Mr. Gimmick!) for the NES around eight years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

He goes into a great amount of detail about the game, the developers, the technical aspects that make it better than most NES games, and plays it really well, considering how difficult it is.

Only problem: it uses YouTube annotations for commentary, and YouTube's axing annotations in four days. So watch it while you still can, if you're interested.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
YouTube is just removing the ability to add annotations. New videos won't be able to add them, but old ones will still have them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Skwirl posted:

YouTube is just removing the ability to add annotations. New videos won't be able to add them, but old ones will still have them.

Not anymore. That was the plan, but because they have absolutely no self-awareness, they're now completely removing them entirely.

quote:

We will stop showing existing annotations to viewers starting January 15, 2019. All existing annotations will be removed.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

This really warmed my heart to see. :-D I'm glad it seems like people liked our Let's Plays. Amy and I really want to do more (we haven't recorded in over a year), but we're finding that it's a lot tougher now that we're both working full time. :-\

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Ey, thanks for doing the LPs ya did, I enjoyed em all. Good luck out there.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Frank Cifaldi, former Retronauts podcaster, did a really solid LP of Gimmick! (or Mr. Gimmick!) for the NES around eight years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

He goes into a great amount of detail about the game, the developers, the technical aspects that make it better than most NES games, and plays it really well, considering how difficult it is.

Only problem: it uses YouTube annotations for commentary, and YouTube's axing annotations in four days. So watch it while you still can, if you're interested.

Just got done watching, and I definitely gotta second this. It's a very fun watch, give it a go while annotations are still a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I've never played Morrowind or Oblivion, would anyone know any streams or let's players that made some good videos about with those games? I don't really want to play them but I've played a shitload of Skyrim recently and wanna see the what the other games were like.