Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bfm, you are a good son. That warmed my overgrown forest of a heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

If I may, I'd like to share a nice family story. It is very, very cold in Wyoming lately, so cold all the locals are actually grumbling about it which is rare. It's going down to sub zero at night with 80 mph winds several times a week. I am very grateful for the means to keep my family warm in such weather, including, weirdly, an old GameCube I pieced back together with eBay parts!

How does that keep people warm, you might ask? Well, my mom, who loves sci-fi and fantasy, has been gobbling up old console games with my brother and I while we're stuck inside and making the best of extremely limited internet speeds. She doesn't play them, but really likes the stories. So far we've been cruising around old PS3 classics, Fallout/Elder Scrolls and the Arkham series, Half-Life/Portal and Little Big Planet and Infamous and such, games I would probably not have played again (on console at least) but get to show her for the first time. Eventually I asked her which was her favorite, and she was very clear it was Fallout: New Vegas. Not surprising, she grew up reading classic Heinlein and Bradbury and watching Lost in Space and having Conelrad/ Duck and Cover trash dropped on her, which even when she was a kid she knew was BS. And she loves really complicated stories with tactical politics and tons of characters (this is the woman who put Dune and Foundation and Ender's Game into kid me's hands after all) so it makes sense, but none of those were the reason she gave.

'It's nice to pretend you're in the desert when it's so cold out' she says. And that gets me thinking...

Cut to just this week when I finally get the last (counterfeit, but it works so far) piece to make an old Nintendo GameCube work again and run Legend of Zelda: Windwaker! She loves it. Sailing a tropical ocean in a cartoony faerie-tale is the most fun we've had together so far with this experiment, and it really does make you forget about the cold. Plus, drat I had forgotten how tight the design is, it has aged wonderfully (unlike, uh, a lot of the titles on that PlayStation list).

It's a surprising late-hour revival for that broken purple box that's been in a drawer since I first left home 17 years ago this fall. Not something I would have thought to revisit, honestly, but now when we finish a day of work, me writing or drawing or (ugh) moving furniture and her making jewelry or designing websites (my mom is cool), and it's dark and cold already at five pm, she'll say "let's go sailing!" and we'll put an hour into saving Hyrule. And her insights are great- even for 2002 Tetra really is a surprisingly strong rejection of the usual princess trope (I haven't spoiled the secret yet, hee hee). And yeah, Zelda games really do follow Campbell's hero arc very effectively in a way both kids and adults can get behind emotionally. All great stuff, much better than just waiting for spring and staring out at the snow.

I'm probably moving back to town this year but in the meantime, it has been cool as heck revisiting old physical-media favorites with my family while I'm somewhere Steam is laughably unusable. Hoist the sail and man the cannon, we have a tropical sea to explore this winter!

City of Glompton posted:

congrats al

and that was v sweet bfm :)

hamjobs posted:

Bfm, you are a good son. That warmed my overgrown forest of a heart.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
some really good threads in byob these days

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Congrats froggy fam!

I keep watching that frog video and trying to decide if the sound effect of the little froggo is dubbed in. When he pops out it sounds like a wet sci fi door opening.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm going to get my burg ingredients today for the Burger Buds thread and I'm going to start the process. It's involved and super worth it.

Goons Are Gifts

Ater my approx fifth posting break in the past three years due to traveling without a computer I found out that byob works on phones nowadays and is also still doing great, so I'm posting again to say hi to everyone.

Hi everyone, I hope you're having a blast in your lifes!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
hey, nobnob! did u pick up any cool hobbies, pets, or lives of crime along the way?

Goons Are Gifts

As a matter of fact, I did! I not only moved to a whole different city to do whole different new things, met a lot of new nice people that could count as hobbies, I also started doing sports again and even stuck to it as well as watching every movie that runs in cinema these days when I have the time to do so.

In terms of pets I thought I'd do it the chill way and got myself the most chill pets imaginable, being a colony of ants.

blaise rascal

hamjobs posted:

I'm going to get my burg ingredients today for the Burger Buds thread and I'm going to start the process. It's involved and super worth it.
I can’t decide if I want to make quinoa burgers for that thread. On the one hand, quinoa is great, but on the other hand, maybe it’s evil? Like maybe it’s starving Peruvians or something?

Figuring this kind of thing out is tough for idiots like me

Farecoal

There he go

Jolo posted:

Congrats froggy fam!

I keep watching that frog video and trying to decide if the sound effect of the little froggo is dubbed in. When he pops out it sounds like a wet sci fi door opening.

i think it's dubbed and it's unfortunate. i tried finding a video without creepy music or sound effects but no luck. that frog is cute, not weird!

alnilam

welcome back nobnob :glomp:

ty manifisto

Hogge Wild

by FactsAreUseless

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Nobnob posted:

As a matter of fact, I did! I not only moved to a whole different city to do whole different new things, met a lot of new nice people that could count as hobbies, I also started doing sports again and even stuck to it as well as watching every movie that runs in cinema these days when I have the time to do so.

In terms of pets I thought I'd do it the chill way and got myself the most chill pets imaginable, being a colony of ants.

Speaking of ants, I just looked up the origin of "thought of [x] and died" and apparently it was a horse thinking about ants.

Ruddha posted:

Babies grow up and that's okay, it's like, sometimes a great meal is worth a lot of prep, for example. Horses only get more likely to die from a stupid reason as they get older. Oh poor ol' Freckles, thought of ants and died

City of Glompton

hi nobnob :glomp:

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

blaise rascal posted:

I can’t decide if I want to make quinoa burgers for that thread. On the one hand, quinoa is great, but on the other hand, maybe it’s evil? Like maybe it’s starving Peruvians or something?

Figuring this kind of thing out is tough for idiots like me

Did someone ask about South America?

Well, let me tell you one thing I know about South America, as a person that lives in a city in South America and has never even seen Peru.
People going hungry isn't a problem in South America.
Here in Chile, we had the opposite problem, and they had to pass a law to put warning stickers on Oreos and Mayonaisse.

Also, cartoon characters on food are illegal, so kids don't fall under the spell of the Trix Rabbit. Ever seen a Trix Box without the rabbit? Its kind of weird.

So what I am saying is, you should eat some Trix for dinner, because it is keeping them out of the hands of Chliean children who are at risk for obesity.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Another South American thing!

These frogs are common Chiloé, a place where I have been, where the potato was invented, and also a place that is full of all sorts of strange magic, like El Trauco, the demon succubus that no woman can resist, and El Caleuche, the ghost ship full of wizards.

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle
humans :shakes fist:

blaise rascal

glowing-fish posted:

Did someone ask about South America?
Sorry, I misspoke about the issue. The way I understand it is that foreigners buying up all the quinoa has driven up the price so the Peruvians can’t easily afford it (but they can still afford Oreos). So they’re not starving - if anything the farmers are making a lot more money than they used to - but it might be contributing to an unhealthy diet. Also I am not sure about how similar Peru’s situation is to Chile’s.

That’s really interesting about the mascot ban, though. And it’s fun to run into a fellow South America fan. I may travel to Brazil in December.

blaise rascal

alnilam I know you are eager to name your newborn but you gotta wait until byob convenes and gives its name recommendations.

now it’s true that byob is slow with its projects, if it ever finishes them at all, so you may need to refer to your baby with a grunt and a head toss for a while. but i am certain the rewards will be worth the wait.

congratulations in any case!

Jolo

Kickflip McDank

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

alnilam I know you are eager to name your newborn but you gotta wait until byob convenes and gives its name recommendations.

now it’s true that byob is slow with its projects, if it ever finishes them at all, so you may need to refer to your baby with a grunt and a head toss for a while. but i am certain the rewards will be worth the wait.

congratulations in any case!

i'd like to nominate the letter "a" as part of the name

Jolo

Or maybe just ROSCOE in all caps. No last name, just ROSCOE.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Pooh

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
my name is pooh, A. ROSCOE pooh

:smug:

Jaded Burnout

Tad. Tad Pole.

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

Sorry, I misspoke about the issue. The way I understand it is that foreigners buying up all the quinoa has driven up the price so the Peruvians can’t easily afford it (but they can still afford Oreos). So they’re not starving - if anything the farmers are making a lot more money than they used to - but it might be contributing to an unhealthy diet. Also I am not sure about how similar Peru’s situation is to Chile’s.

That’s really interesting about the mascot ban, though. And it’s fun to run into a fellow South America fan. I may travel to Brazil in December.

I read about the quinoa thing back when that was a hot topic, and more recently I read another article saying that while the quinoa market was briefly weird, there was only ever that one article about it that everyone talked about, and nobody ever followed up they just kept talking about a ten year old article, and apparently that was only a short lived shortage and they've all been eating quinoa down there just fine for years now. Idk for sure though because that, too, was just one article.

Brazil and Chile both own, I'd love to travel to more places down in that continent.

ty manifisto

alnilam

Luvcow posted:

i'd like to nominate the letter "a" as part of the name

Aaaaaaaa is a good name :hai:

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
Aaaaaaaa!
At least wait until I'm through changing your diaper!

FluffieDuckie

Aaaaaaaa! what did i tell you about hitting your sister?

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

FluffieDuckie

Aaaaaaaa! I told you I'm not bailing you out again

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

alnilam

Baby Aaaaaaaa always screaming her own name like a dang pokemon

ty manifisto

Jaded Burnout

Aaaaaaa! Real Monsters

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I'm allergic to quinoa so I cannot try the burg ;___;

Welcome to Weird Allergy Talk

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

alnilam posted:

I read about the quinoa thing back when that was a hot topic, and more recently I read another article saying that while the quinoa market was briefly weird, there was only ever that one article about it that everyone talked about, and nobody ever followed up they just kept talking about a ten year old article, and apparently that was only a short lived shortage and they've all been eating quinoa down there just fine for years now. Idk for sure though because that, too, was just one article.

Brazil and Chile both own, I'd love to travel to more places down in that continent.

I hope I am not D&Ding in BYOB, so I will give the kind of fun version of this:

I think that a lot of people in the US still have versions of Latin America that are stuck 30 or more years ago. In part, because a lot of what has happened here has happened since 2000, and the US has mostly been paying attention to the Middle East and East Asia. Anyway, so like...I can buy mayonnaise in a vending machine in a subway station. That is my South American life. All those quaint little neighborhood panaderias in the barrios? They also sell Goku figurines. This is a real thing I saw yesterday, a Panaderia with a wall full of Dragonball Z merchandise. Like its a complicated and not perfect place, but it is kind of hard for me to explain to people in the US that my life in South America isn't about romantic, mystical llama herders, or about grim ghettos with barefoot children and gang wars. It is about subway station vending machines where I can buy mayonnaise.

I have not actually purchased mayonnaise from one of these vending machines. Should I?

Grimwit

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

glowing-fish posted:

So what I am saying is, you should eat some Trix for dinner, because it is keeping them out of the hands of Chliean children who are at risk for obesity.

:( I want to, but my nefew keeps knocking the box out of my hand and screaming "No! No! For Kids! No!"

Farecoal

There he go

peru and Bolivia are going to have pretty different poverty rates and issues from chile or argentina tho

Papa Was A Video Toaster

What else is in the mayo vending machine? Asking for a friend who wants to make a sandwich.

alnilam

Farecoal posted:

peru and Bolivia are going to have pretty different poverty rates and issues from chile or argentina tho

that and also I'd guess that your experience has been largely urban. which is fair, bc the majority of people live in urban centers, whereas this controversy focuses on rural and often native peoples, which are still not to be overlooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

but yeah it's also rude to think s america is 100% llama herders and favela wars when it's a lot more varied than that. just like it's rude to think that China is nothing but rice paddies or beijing.