Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lampey posted:

It is a relatively low bar to become a license real estate agent in most states.

Yeah, it's a bit less than community college associate's degree level, you just need the time and minimal amount of money to be an agent unless you have mental deficiencies. The cartel then requires servitude before you can get to the fully autonomous level though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Howdy folks. Long time no talk!

I'm looking to buy my first investment house. Probably something ~1000 sq ft, sfh, $80-100k, and hopefully work out all the kinks and buy more of the same type of house. I like this route because if required I could float the mortgage indefinitely. I'll be using a 92% occupied rate, and 150% mortgage numbers to build a slush fund and shoot for ~$200-300 monthly cash flow after those modifiers. I will probably use my old realtor, and a structural engineer as the inspector.

I have some questions that hopefully y'all can answer:

1. Is the 150% mortgage rate and 92% occupied rate realistic, as a general rule of thumb? I'm sure it heavily depends on location and the state of the house but I need to start somewhere.

2. Anyone have any good calculators / spreadsheets for investment houses? No need to reinvent the wheel if it's available and free.

3. What am I forgetting and what's probably gonna bite me in the rear end?

Thanks moneyfriends!

e: this is in Richmond, VA if it matters.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Adiabatic posted:

I'm looking to buy my first investment house. Probably something ~1000 sq ft, sfh, $80-100k, and hopefully work out all the kinks and buy more of the same type of house. I like this route because if required I could float the mortgage indefinitely. I'll be using a 92% occupied rate, and 150% mortgage numbers to build a slush fund and shoot for ~$200-300 monthly cash flow after those modifiers. I will probably use my old realtor, and a structural engineer as the inspector.

1. Is the 150% mortgage rate and 92% occupied rate realistic, as a general rule of thumb? I'm sure it heavily depends on location and the state of the house but I need to start somewhere.

2. Anyone have any good calculators / spreadsheets for investment houses? No need to reinvent the wheel if it's available and free.

Thanks moneyfriends!

Hello future river city landlord!

I have a home in the chamberlain estates area that has been continuously occupied for about three years now.

~2400 sqft, 5 beds, rents for $1650. Mortgage payment is around $1200. I pay Dodson 8% to manage it and they’ve been fantastic. Both tenants I’ve had have been great. No damage, no late payments, submit regular maintenance requests so I know they aren’t making GBS threads the place up.

Both times it took less than a week to fill, which tells me I’m still charging too little.

What location are you considering? For that price range it’s gotta be south side I assume.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks moneyfriends!

What do you mean by "150% mortgage rate"? Vacancy is very dependent upon the type of property and nature of the location. For example in college towns and attractive rental properties there can be virtually zero vacancy on the right properties.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

Hello future river city landlord!

I have a home in the chamberlain estates area that has been continuously occupied for about three years now.

~2400 sqft, 5 beds, rents for $1650. Mortgage payment is around $1200. I pay Dodson 8% to manage it and they’ve been fantastic. Both tenants I’ve had have been great. No damage, no late payments, submit regular maintenance requests so I know they aren’t making GBS threads the place up.

Both times it took less than a week to fill, which tells me I’m still charging too little.

What location are you considering? For that price range it’s gotta be south side I assume.

Howdy! I'm looking just West of Manchester, or along Chippenham near Hull/Midlo. I admittedly need to do more research into the areas, but I've lived here for a few decades and currently I'm in Stratford Hills.

Thanks for the Dodson tip! I definitely need to use a property management service, as I'm doing a bunch of other stuff currently.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

What do you mean by "150% mortgage rate"? Vacancy is very dependent upon the type of property and nature of the location. For example in college towns and attractive rental properties there can be virtually zero vacancy on the right properties.

Whatever the mortgage for the property entails, I'll be halving that number and sending it to a savings account just for this property. If PITI is $500 my monthly costs would be $750, with $250 of that going to a savings account just for this house for maintenance purposes.

I'm unsure if this is too conservative, but I'd at least like to start out very conservative and see if I can still get a positive cash flow out of a property.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2019

Jan 11, 2004
I see, what you are saying is kind of an unusual way to word the 50% expenses rule. In my opinion these robotic rules are kind of unhelpful because they make it more difficult for you to understand your business. How much money you will need to set in reserves really depends upon your overall rental business cash flow and the specific needs of the property, particularly anticipated midterm capital expenditures. If I were you I would make decisions really based on individual properties and your assessment thereof. I would treat a rental property that is going to require a new roof at some point differently than I would for example a freshly renovated property with new systems. If I had a comfortable portfolio of established cash flowing properties I wouldn't be that worried about reserves on one particular $100k property.

$300 a month free cash flow is probably going to be on the high end of what is possible for a $100,000 property with a 30 year 20% down investment rate mortgage; assuming your mortgage payment with insurance and property taxes is going to be about $700 a month you will need to be collecting at minimum ~$1200 a month in rent to take that much free cash flow without thinking twice about it. Be sure you accurately calculate your mortgage payment and research rental comps before you make assumptions about how much cash flow you are going to get.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, all these figures I always see thrown about for occupancy rates are way too general. "Expect an occupancy rate of X%" is going to be just bullshit 95% of the time.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I see, what you are saying is kind of an unusual way to word the 50% expenses rule. In my opinion these robotic rules are kind of unhelpful because they make it more difficult for you to understand your business. How much money you will need to set in reserves really depends upon your overall rental business cash flow and the specific needs of the property, particularly anticipated midterm capital expenditures. If I were you I would make decisions really based on individual properties and your assessment thereof. I would treat a rental property that is going to require a new roof at some point differently than I would for example a freshly renovated property with new systems. If I had a comfortable portfolio of established cash flowing properties I wouldn't be that worried about reserves on one particular $100k property.

$300 a month free cash flow is probably going to be on the high end of what is possible for a $100,000 property with a 30 year 20% down investment rate mortgage; assuming your mortgage payment with insurance and property taxes is going to be about $700 a month you will need to be collecting at minimum ~$1200 a month in rent to take that much free cash flow without thinking twice about it. Be sure you accurately calculate your mortgage payment and research rental comps before you make assumptions about how much cash flow you are going to get.

Thanks! You're right. I will assess each one individually and break out some estimates of stuff it may need soon. Do you (or does anyone) have a good check-off list for major expenditures requiring inspection? I know a good inspector will go over this, but I'd like to grab information on them myself before it gets to that point.

Off the top of my head:

roof - new or old / patches present
hvac system (both cold & hot if separate) - performance and age
soft areas in walls or water spots on ceiling showing roof neglect and water intrusion
water heater age
obvious foundational issues - horizontal cracks, major settling, etc
obvious electrical issues - old wiring, bad wiring, state of breaker panel
obvious plumbing issues - smells, water pressure, clogging, slow drains
appliances staying with property - age and performance

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, all these figures I always see thrown about for occupancy rates are way too general. "Expect an occupancy rate of X%" is going to be just bullshit 95% of the time.

In my mind this was just a starting point for me to spot houses that could potentially work. For the occupancy rate I really just wanted to have a more conservative number than 100% occupied for the initial SWAG.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
One other thing—

I didn’t think it was even possible to still find houses for $100k in richmond, even in the area you described. You should probably assume you’re going to have some...challenging tenants.

Also, now that I think about it, that 8% figure from Dodson probably goes up as the rent goes down. I could see it being 10-12% on $1000 rent.

Jan 11, 2004
That is a good starter list but also look at stuff not simply from the perspective of maintenance needs but opportunity for inexpensive rental value added property improvement. For example spending $1,000 on a fresh coat of interior paint and $2,000 on laminate flooring and $200 to get the lawn fixed up and all the trees and bushes trimmed can instantly pop your monthly rent on a dumpy looking house by a hundred bucks or something like that. So let the actual property inspector do the hard work of finding problems and turn your eye towards the opportunity for improvements.

Jan 11, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

One other thing—

I didn’t think it was even possible to still find houses for $100k in richmond, even in the area you described. You should probably assume you’re going to have some...challenging tenants.

Also, now that I think about it, that 8% figure from Dodson probably goes up as the rent goes down. I could see it being 10-12% on $1000 rent.

One other thing to really look at is that if you are not willing to do any of the property management yourself, it is very hard to get meaningful cash flow from a rental property with an 80% LTV mortgage after the property manager gets their hooks into you for 10 to 12% of your gross rent.

Excalibur
Mar 27, 2002
My last title made me a little too happy.

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Thinking about buying my first rental property out of state (I know) am looking for additional research to be done or like a checklist of sorts. I've looked into this a lot and have spoken with several people doing something similar, as well as have access to a lot of real estate professionals, but I guess I'm looking for unbiased opinion to make sure my people aren't just "yes-man"-ing me hoping to get a piece.

I'm currently in NYC, which means buying/renting local is all but impossible, so I'm looking at some single-family homes in the midwest or the south. I don't mind traveling in very short notice if 100% necessary, but I would be leaning heavily on property management/friends/family local to the areas to handle as much as possible without my physical involvement. I'm happy to be on a phone all day problem-solving (I actually enjoy it), but I just can't be there physically often at all.

I have a few properties in mind, all between 60-70k with maybe 5-10k in reno costs. I'm hoping to be able to purchase outright with cash to get a sizable discount on the sale (maybe pay 50 instead of 60?), or maybe even put 50% down so the mortgage is so low that in the event of non-occupancy I won't feel it too much. Similar properties in the areas I'm looking at typically rent between 7-900 depending on the size, so it sounds like a good investment.

Just on a personal note, I'm complete debt free other than my monthly expenses here in NYC like rent/food/whatever and I have about 4 months of living expenses saved up in addition to the 60k I've put aside for this property. Basically looking for an alternative way to cash flow as opposed to just index fund investing, eventually to roll into 3 or 4 more properties in whatever area I land in.

I guess the other option would be to put the 60k down on a multi-family but I feel like that's too big of an undertaking here for a first-timer. Am I completely nuts here? Any advice for my situation trying to break into cash flow and passive income with property rentals?

Hey fellow NYC person. I've also been looking for investment properties in the area. I would also suggest looking at properties in "upstate NY," (read: north of Westchester/Rockland counties) or even NJ/PA that would still be under ~2 hour drive. I think you'd be able to find something decent that you'd still be able to drive to in a day trip (assuming you have access to a car, if not you could do a zipcar and expense, etc). Being near a commuter rail might also be possible, but would likely be in a more expensive area. Since you have the cash on hand, you could also attend foreclosure auctions, and I'm confident you could find something at auction in that price range. PM me because I'd be happy to discuss in more detail.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

One other thing to really look at is that if you are not willing to do any of the property management yourself, it is very hard to get meaningful cash flow from a rental property with an 80% LTV mortgage after the property manager gets their hooks into you for 10 to 12% of your gross rent.

Agreed.

I ended up with a higher priced rental due to a relocation. If I were to start buying 100k homes to rent I’d manage them myself.

That being said, my property management company has been awesome. They get repairs done crazy fast for amounts that are always significantly less than I think they’ll be. They like me too as I always approve repairs quickly because I’m not a piece of poo poo.

They are so good at getting repairs done fast that I kind of want to use them for repairs on my primary home lol

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'd also get the sewer mains scoped on any older investment property. A collapsed sewer line could cause a lot of damage from backups, cost tens of thousands to repair, and leave your tenants without sewer service for an extended period.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

One other thing—

I've seen quite a few for $80k-$100k but they look pretty trashed. I am totally willing to up the limit on the price of the first house if I can't find anything that works. However, I would like to get into something small and cheap at first to get all of the "first time investment property" kinks out without being beholden to a lot of cash every month. Any other spots you'd suggest?

That is a good starter list but also look at stuff not simply from the perspective of maintenance needs but opportunity for inexpensive rental value added property improvement. For example spending $1,000 on a fresh coat of interior paint and $2,000 on laminate flooring and $200 to get the lawn fixed up and all the trees and bushes trimmed can instantly pop your monthly rent on a dumpy looking house by a hundred bucks or something like that. So let the actual property inspector do the hard work of finding problems and turn your eye towards the opportunity for improvements.

You're right! I'm in a maintenance hole because that's the part I care about and am good at. I have blinders on about the importance of aesthetics and seem to have completely written off the actual "tenant as a human" bit by hand waving the idea of using property management. I need to look into both those areas way more.

Konstantin posted:

I'd also get the sewer mains scoped on any older investment property. A collapsed sewer line could cause a lot of damage from backups, cost tens of thousands to repair, and leave your tenants without sewer service for an extended period.

Definitely. Added.

Thanks again for everyone's answers. Y'all have any spreadsheets or programs you use to make the search easier?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Help me understand why this isn't a no brainer?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2437-Petsel-Pl-Iowa-City-IA-52246/2107599497_zpid/?fullpage=true

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Why was it listed and pending in 2017 for half the current asking? What did they plaster over that doubled the value?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Jealous Cow posted:

Why was it listed and pending in 2017 for half the current asking? What did they plaster over that doubled the value?

My friend is a RE agent and says it was completely renovated.

Jan 11, 2004

You have to run the full numbers on it including the mortgage payment, property taxes, landlord licensing, vacancy and capital reserves for building like that but it could be a reasonable deal. $1100 per unit fully rented on long-term leases sounds like high rent for old 3/1 apartment units in Middle America but I don't know the area. I would ask for the rent rolls and a P&L and figure out what fully renovated really means like for example what's the condition of the roof and major systems. Oftentimes "fully renovated"means they went in and put down laminate and new countertops and painted the cabinet doors. If everything checks out and you come up with a cap rate of like 6 or 7% and you are willing to manage an 8 unit property it could be a fine deal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Just another 11 hours left owning a rental! It's like selling a boat, except you actually make money! :woop:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

You have to run the full numbers on it including the mortgage payment, property taxes, landlord licensing, vacancy and capital reserves for building like that but it could be a reasonable deal. $1100 per unit fully rented on long-term leases sounds like high rent for old 3/1 apartment units in Middle America but I don't know the area. I would ask for the rent rolls and a P&L and figure out what fully renovated really means like for example what's the condition of the roof and major systems. Oftentimes "fully renovated"means they went in and put down laminate and new countertops and painted the cabinet doors. If everything checks out and you come up with a cap rate of like 6 or 7% and you are willing to manage an 8 unit property it could be a fine deal.

It happens to be < 10 minutes from the academic medical center, dental school and law school.

I’ll request the rolls and also an account of what was spent renovating.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

How long have they been running it? Do they have P&Ls that they can give you as well? You may have to price in a reassessment in your cap rate if the assessment is lagging the renovations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

crazypeltast52 posted:

How long have they been running it? Do they have P&Ls that they can give you as well? You may have to price in a reassessment in your cap rate if the assessment is lagging the renovations.

I'll have to look into all of this. I was just using numbers I know for the property taxes based on the sale price, estimating some of the other numbers and tying it all together with this spreadsheet.

https://www.calculator.net/rental-property-calculator.html

I have the assets on hand to put 20% down on a 30 year note (although would probably attempt to do this in a partnership with a couple I know - I went to business school with the husband and the wife is a RE agent). I figured property taxes as 15k (estimated based on sale price), insurance as 8k, maintenance as 10k, other costs as 2k and treated the net revenue from laundry services as 0. I also gave a vacancy rate of 12.5%

This prompted a cap rate of 5.22%

Jan 11, 2004
12.5% vacancy is super high, but you also don't have anything figured for cap ex so it's probably a wash. I guess overall I would say it's a little bit weird for a rehabber to like do a total renovation and then go through all the work of stabilizing the property to 100% occupied market rents just to immediately sell, but it is possible they want to just want to take the cash and don't want to deal with refinancing their hard money.

Talk to a commercial lender about what you are going to need to get the best loan terms, probably is going to make them a little skittish if you tell them you are a first-time investor but if this is a truly turn-key deal and you have plenty of cash I'm sure you can make it happen. Think really hard about getting into a partnership on a huge deal like this where you are going to tie up $200k cash and make sure you have a very thorough written operating agreement that addresses what you're going to do with reserves and cash flow, disputes in management decisions and very clearly gives exit routes when one of you wants out. It could be interesting but honestly I'd start with something a little smaller before doing a JV.

Edit: also I see you're in the "one of the partners is a real estate agent" situation, make sure you talk about that $30,000 commission check before she pockets it at closing

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 11, 2019

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

It might not be quite big enough to finance with an agency SBL program, but if you find something bigger you could get agency debt from Freddie. The underwriting can be slower than a bank and they want more disclosure, but you will have trouble beating agency financing on stabilized multifamily.

https://mf.freddiemac.com/docs/product/small_balance_loan.pdf

The typical process will check a bunch of boxes from this document, but the multifamily side of the agencies have really low loss rates:
https://www.fanniemae.com/content/guide/multifamily-selling-servicing-guide.pdf

Also take a look at how your proposed pricing compares to the last few years of multifamily sales in Johnson County:
https://www.johnson-county.com/dept_jc_assessor.aspx?id=7337

Iowa has good public assessor databases in most counties, so you should be able to compare these sales to this one and see how it looks relative to the market.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

12.5% vacancy is super high, but you also don't have anything figured for cap ex so it's probably a wash. I guess overall I would say it's a little bit weird for a rehabber to like do a total renovation and then go through all the work of stabilizing the property to 100% occupied market rents just to immediately sell, but it is possible they want to just want to take the cash and don't want to deal with refinancing their hard money.

Talk to a commercial lender about what you are going to need to get the best loan terms, probably is going to make them a little skittish if you tell them you are a first-time investor but if this is a truly turn-key deal and you have plenty of cash I'm sure you can make it happen. Think really hard about getting into a partnership on a huge deal like this where you are going to tie up $200k cash and make sure you have a very thorough written operating agreement that addresses what you're going to do with reserves and cash flow, disputes in management decisions and very clearly gives exit routes when one of you wants out. It could be interesting but honestly I'd start with something a little smaller before doing a JV.

Edit: also I see you're in the "one of the partners is a real estate agent" situation, make sure you talk about that $30,000 commission check before she pockets it at closing

She knows that's (discounted) a portion of her initial capital in the JV so I don't think that situation is unclear. Just considering it. I know it's a big play.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

I just learned that you have to be a licensed real estate broker to perform property management duties in most states. This blows my mind, because it sounds so common for someone to pay a friend or family member to be their property manager for their house etc (which I was looking into).

I'm guessing most people just skirt these laws?

Some website lists these as some activities requiring a license:

Marketing the property to potential tenants
Showing the property to prospective tenants
Negotiating lease terms
Paying for services using the property's rent payments
Depositing the rent into a trust, signing checks, or withdrawing money from the bank account

In Texas, property owners are excepted from these laws. I would bet this is the case in most states.
If someone is acting as an agent for the owner in managing or marketing a property, then yes, they need to be licensed.

Jan 11, 2004

GEEKABALL posted:

In Texas, property owners are excepted from these laws. I would bet this is the case in most states.
If someone is acting as an agent for the owner in managing or marketing a property, then yes, they need to be licensed.

There's a variety of loopholes on a state-by-state basis but yes in general this is a big nuisance for people who are gathering enough rental properties that it becomes difficult to personally manage them and they do not want to cough up 10% of their gross rent plus a leasing fee to somebody just because they have a real estate license

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone dealt with tenants getting locked up? One just hit with a couple first degree murder charges so I don't think they're making rent.

Jan 11, 2004

baquerd posted:

Anyone dealt with tenants getting locked up? One just hit with a couple first degree murder charges so I don't think they're making rent.

As soon as they miss rent, proceed with a full, by the books formal legal eviction. No other answer to it. Just because they went to jail is not grounds for you to perform a self-help eviction and going through the full eviction process will protect you against future claims against missing property et cetera.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

As soon as they miss rent, proceed with a full, by the books formal legal eviction. No other answer to it. Just because they went to jail is not grounds for you to perform a self-help eviction and going through the full eviction process will protect you against future claims against missing property et cetera.

Yeah this is right.

Them getting locked up is immaterial (surprisingly, i do not know the law in every jurisdiction in the world), you just treat them like anyone else who isn't paying their rent.

Jan 11, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah this is right.

Them getting locked up is immaterial (surprisingly, i do not know the law in every jurisdiction in the world), you just treat them like anyone else who isn't paying their rent.

Depending upon the circumstances, your lease, and state law, if the crime were committed on the property it could be a breach of the lease, but as a general rule it is much easier and more expedient to evict for non-payment than for other breaches of lease. You could also offer a mutual severance if you are able to communicate with someone in jail but legally the safest option with respect to protections for the landlord is usually to evict and have possession rendered by the sheriff.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lawyer saying formal eviction via door posting and storage unit for 3 months for all their junk before it can be disposed if not legally claimed. Police won't let people in yet though.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Got a call from my property manager. The two car garage door needs to be replaced. “Something” happened that caused it to get tweaked and out of square so it won’t open anymore.

I talked to the contractor who said the door has a slide lock on it, which they always remove when installing an opener, and it’s likely that the tenant tried to open the door with the opener while the slide lock was engaged, but can’t prove it.

This is my first big tenant-caused repair since being a landlord for about 3 years. $1700. The new door won’t have a slide lock, so there isn’t really even anything to say to the tenant.

The garage door guy said he’s seen this litigated before and courts have found for the tenant, saying the landlord should have removed the lock if they didn’t want this to happen. Unfortunately I didn’t even realize the lock was there.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Jealous Cow posted:

Got a call from my property manager. The two car garage door needs to be replaced. “Something” happened that caused it to get tweaked and out of square so it won’t open anymore.

I talked to the contractor who said the door has a slide lock on it, which they always remove when installing an opener, and it’s likely that the tenant tried to open the door with the opener while the slide lock was engaged, but can’t prove it.

This is my first big tenant-caused repair since being a landlord for about 3 years. $1700. The new door won’t have a slide lock, so there isn’t really even anything to say to the tenant.

The garage door guy said he’s seen this litigated before and courts have found for the tenant, saying the landlord should have removed the lock if they didn’t want this to happen. Unfortunately I didn’t even realize the lock was there.

Sorry, I guess that's why you have a maintenance accrual account. Any problems with the tenant otherwise?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Sorry, I guess that's why you have a maintenance accrual account. Any problems with the tenant otherwise?

They were a day late paying once, but so far no. They renewed and I guess I’ll see how they’ve kept the interior during the renewal walkthrough.

They did put a huge trampoline in the backyard which I’m not thrilled about.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Jealous Cow posted:

They were a day late paying once, but so far no. They renewed and I guess I’ll see how they’ve kept the interior during the renewal walkthrough.

They did put a huge trampoline in the backyard which I’m not thrilled about.

Doesn't that absolutely, catastrophically gently caress up your insurance rates? People break their necks on those all the time.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Doesn't that absolutely, catastrophically gently caress up your insurance rates? People break their necks on those all the time.

How would my insurance know about it? I only know because I drove by and spotted it.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jealous Cow posted:

How would my insurance know about it? I only know because I drove by and spotted it.

When your tenant breaks their neck, sues you and thirty other entities, and your insurance refuses to defend you or settle because trampolines are excluded from your insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

When your tenant breaks their neck, sues you and thirty other entities, and your insurance refuses to defend you or settle because trampolines are excluded from your insurance

My policy makes no reference to trampolines. Just read through it and searched for the word just to make sure.

Is there any other way such an exclusion could be worded?

Also the lease I use holds me blameless for anything that wasn’t gross negligence on my part and it’s an agreement that’s already been litigated in VA.