Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

This is the first prime time "Mr. President Delivers a Super Serious Address to the American People" thing of his presidency isn't it? It will probably be boring teleprompter crap but who knows, maybe not.

yeah but Trump can't read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

schumer actually doing something smart lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Miller is Real Fuckin Mad that a Palestinian Muslim woman is being praised for saying the say poo poo about people like Miller that he's been saying about people like her for decades

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1082336881923276800

quote:

The “skills gap” was a lie
New research shows it was the consequence of high unemployment rather than its cause.

quote:

Five or six years ago, everyone from the US Chamber of Commerce to the Obama White House was talking about a “skills gap.”

The theory here was that high unemployment reflected a structural shift in the labor market such that jobs were available, but workers simply didn’t have the right education or training for them. Harvard Business Review ran articles about this — including articles rebutting people who said the “skills gap” didn't exist — and big companies like Siemens ran paid sponsor content in the Atlantic explaining how to fix the skills gap.

But nothing was really done to transform the American education system, and no enormous investment was made in retraining unemployed workers. And yet the unemployment rate kept steadily falling in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 as continued low interest rates from the Federal Reserve let a demand-side recovery continue. Donald Trump became president, injected a bunch of new fiscal stimulus on both the spending and tax sides, and in 2017 and 2018 the unemployment rate kept falling and the labor force participation rate kept rising.

Now along comes a new paper from Alicia Sasser Modestino, Daniel Shoag, and Joshua Ballance presented this week at the American Economics Association’s annual conference that shows the skeptics were right all along — employers responded to high unemployment by making their job descriptions more stringent. When unemployment went down thanks to the demand-side recovery, suddenly employers got more relaxed again.

quote:

In other words, the skills gap was the consequence of high unemployment rather than its cause. With workers plentiful, employers got choosier. Rather than investing in training workers, they demanded lots of experience and educational credentials.

And while job skills are obviously important, when the labor market is healthy employers have incentives to try to impart skills to workers rather than posting advertorial content about how the government should fix this problem for them.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
At this point trump cant fold on the wall without looking like a massive cuck so either he comes to some compromise with the dems where he gets like 1-2 billion for border security and calls it a win, even though its nowhere enough for WALL. Maybe the Dems get dreamers secured so something. That or the shutdown goes on until 2020.

I think trying to declare a national emergency is his best bet at this point because things are going to start falling apart eventually. Plus it would be chaos so naturally that is what will happen.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Oh man, its been a while since I've heard about the electoral college but which of his other greatest hits will be performing?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Polo-Rican posted:

the cricket narrative very strange and complete bs, by the way. "havana syndrome" wasn't "i hear a noise," it was "sudden unbearable pain in head followed by weeks of concussion-like symptoms and brain injuries that show up under a CAT scan, accompanied by a noise."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/11/19/the-mystery-of-the-havana-syndrome

yeah, something happened. i'm not convinced it's a russian plot but i bet it's some kind of weird interference due to on-site equipment. there was an article months back about the potential with broadcasting devices placed too close together or misaligned. it would probably be difficult to determine without seeing it happen

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol please tell me there's no real TV channels willing to let this dude live on primetime

they are going to eat that poo poo up op

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Waffle House posted:

ahaha lol what

Lyin Chuck going to buck le under to turtle man fastr then you can post trumbf

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
man drinking a handloe of vodka and eating that fried rice combo for dinner last night is really makin this 6th trip to thw bathroom this morning an adventure

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ArmZ posted:

julian typed all this out lmao

Pretty sure he just has his cats do it for him at this point

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

Blackchamber posted:

Oh man, its been a while since I've heard about the electoral college but which of his other greatest hits will be performing?

I am hoping for some of that sweet snake story again

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol he's gonna cancel everyones favorite TV shows to be a racist grandpa and declare a state of emergency, the emergency being we need Wall.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Prez has the prefect prime time address to secure funding for the border wall.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

:unsmiggh:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

they are going to eat that poo poo up op

Yeah the news channels will never miss an opportunity to give the fat bitch a platform

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh my god

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

oh word, capital trying to drive down the cost of skilled labor???

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lol if Trump had just let the dreamers be a thing he'd have the 25 billion for the wall already lmao

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

was this study done by anyone who applied for a job in the past decade or what

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
For real though trumo going live on air in the post-Kelly and post-Mattis era is probably going to be a real humdinger

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Blackchamber posted:

several of the ones about someone who cries after witnessing piss daddy's glory

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
taco bell is good

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Ramadu posted:

Lol if Trump had just let the dreamers be a thing he'd have the 25 billion for the wall already lmao

Miller and Kelly really hosed that whole thing up lmao.

In the end he's going to settle for like 2.5 billion for dreamers, at most. Probably nothing haha.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Chinatown posted:

taco bell is good

crunchwrap covered in fire sauce is the poo poo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ex post facho posted:

oh word, capital trying to drive down the cost of skilled labor???

join a coding boot camp today!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol that the govt is still shutdown due to pissbaby. what a loving way to end 2018 :discourse:

like im bay area and p mcuh unaffected since we aren't loaded to the brim with govt contractors and traffic was still super bad so not like i can tell. but it's funny that millions of people elsewhere are not working bc pissbaby president

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Fun fact: Inmates can legally request special meals for holidays. It's not beans and rice every day (actually it is, but they still get to request a special meal for any holiday).

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

how the gently caress am I functioning well enough on two hours of sleep to have people compliment the poo poo I'm doing at work? christ

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
*american's can't get jobs*

economy doctors: lol u idiots ur worthless, gross, deformed blights on the world, die in a lake.

economy doctors: also learn coding so we can depress wages

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it would own if trump accidentally preempted the Bama Clemson game

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

several of the ones about someone who cries after witnessing piss daddy's glory

Pead posted:

I am hoping for some of that sweet snake story again

Well the encore is the Fox News band playing 'and this was the moment he became president'

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

https://mobile.twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1082335137826783233

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

shiksa posted:

was this study done by anyone who applied for a job in the past decade or what

you'll never read a hot take on the labor market for people searching for a job or the ways to stand out from somebody who has actually hunted for a job since the mid-70's

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

MSNBC was appealing to ivanka and melania's "sense of decency" on the air, and telling them to tell trmup! to save SNAP and WIC.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1082302354156912642

quote:

Matt Osborne, a veteran progressive activist who worked on the project, said he hoped that such deceptive tactics would someday be banned from American politics. But in the meantime, he said, he believes that Republicans are using such trickery and that Democrats cannot unilaterally give it up.

“If you don’t do it, you’re fighting with one hand tied behind your back,” said Mr. Osborne, a writer and consultant who lives outside Florence, Ala. “You have a moral imperative to do this — to do whatever it takes.”
a good dem consultant?!?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

For real though trumo going live on air in the post-Kelly and post-Mattis era is probably going to be a real humdinger

have cameras set up in the white house big brother tv style, and force the networks to stream Trump 24/7

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Admiral Ray posted:

*american's can't get jobs*

economy doctors: lol u idiots ur worthless, gross, deformed blights on the world, die in a lake.

economy doctors: also learn coding so we can depress wages

depressing computer touching wages is cool and good because it's all doughy white males from wisconsin or some poo poo. computer touching jobs are basically a handout to the upper middle class white patriarchy.

naw, abolish capitalism instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
best way to stand out when applying for a job is to go find the hiring manager and sleep with their spouse. they'll be impressed by your motivation and problem solving skills