Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao cool, networks should definitely forego their normal programming to let trump do another insane rant

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1082333710060584960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DynamicSloth posted:

Someone just took a commanding lead in the race for 2019's dumbest Democratic office holder.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1082283243355992064?s=19

Chris Coons loving sucks. He really needs a primary.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If it was Shumer I’d be a little concerned, but no way will Nacy Pelosi be the one to give in here

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tibalt posted:

Democrats aren't going to cave any time soon. Their polling is holding steady or improving, while Republicans in Congress are starting to pick up more of the blame. They're going to at least wait and see if THAT moves the Senate. Plus, as some have pointed out, this is a matter of principle and power dynamics - if Pelosi doesn't hold out, everyone is going to interprete it as an inability to control her caucus. No way she folds yet, and become speaker in name only.

I really don't think they can afford to fold, just based purely on principles of democratic government. The American people don't want a wall and voted against a wall-supporting House of Representatives in November.

If the Democrats disregard the will of the people and cave to Trump holding the government hostage, then government-by-shutdown will become the new normal. How do you hold firm the next time Trump shuts down the government to get something he wants when you have already announced that keeping the government open is more important than your principles last time?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

eke out posted:

traffic citations don't generally count as probation violations

also lol @ the rush to declare she's definitely going back to jail. very cool

stating that the pigs will hound a released felon and ensure they go back to prison in the US in 2019 is an extremely safe bet.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

lmao cool, networks should definitely forego their normal programming to let trump do another insane rant

Calling it now: he'll go off script, start bitching about the FAKE NEWS MEDIA and Jim Comey and the RUSSIA WITCH HUNT, and have to be dragged out of the frame by panicked aides.

He seriously thinks that by directly addressing the nation that people who do not want a wall will suddenly go "I think I want a wall on the southern border now!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Calling it now: he'll go off script, start bitching about the FAKE NEWS MEDIA and Jim Comey and the RUSSIA WITCH HUNT, and have to be dragged out of the frame by panicked aides.

He seriously thinks that by directly addressing the nation that people who do not want a wall will suddenly go "I think I want a wall on the southern border now!"

Last time he went into explicit details about how women are stolen for sex trafficking.

Which is ironic, given what he was doing with the Miss America competitors...

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

The governor of Tennessee just pardoned Cyntoia Brown.

edit: she will be on parole for 10 years, during which she can't break any state or federal laws.

https://twitter.com/WSMV/status/1082323394668969984

That's actually fantastic news. That poor girl should never have been in prison to begin with; case was all kinds of hosed up

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

my god.. chuck is so serious he's not even going to vote to make BDS illegal (yet, though he will later)

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1082335268802318339

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

eke out posted:

Don't non chuds kinda just tune him out at this point?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

At least this time around, it's obvious to more people that, once again, the GOP are terrorists who are holding a gun to the head of a hostage and want to blame democrats when the GOP pulls the trigger.

Trump will complain that he's not getting what he wants, so we all must continue to suffer.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

my god.. chuck is so serious he's not even going to vote to make BDS illegal (yet, though he will later)

Boy, Nancy Pelosi really found him some big-boy britches.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

eke out posted:

hooray for perverse incentive structure

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is there any recent evidence to suggest this?
Not really.

538 has an article here. In short, more people blamed Trump for the shutdown prior to Christmas, but the most recent poll said that more people blame the Congressional Democrats than Trump (51% to 49%).

The Democrats always get blamed for a shutdown, no matter what.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

stating that the pigs will hound a released felon and ensure they go back to prison in the US in 2019 is an extremely safe bet.

Why are you betting on this at all? Why do you need to rush for a good thing that happened and find weird fan fiction justification that it's actually bad and nothing matters? Should they just not have bothered releasing her because your galaxy brain said it's just a crisis actor release?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really.

538 has an article here. In short, more people blamed Trump for the shutdown prior to Christmas, but the most recent poll said that more people blame the Congressional Democrats than Trump (51% to 49%).

Oh, goody. :smith:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really.

That new poll is an internet opt in poll only so I don't know how much stock you can put into it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really.

In that case, we should continue not giving a gently caress and press the truth that the GOP is at fault.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There are adds running on cable news from the Dear Leader 2020 campaign blaming dems for the shutdown lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why are you betting on this at all? Why do you need to rush for a good thing that happened and find weird fan fiction justification that it's actually bad and nothing matters? Should they just not have bothered releasing her because your galaxy brain said it's just a crisis actor release?

no, its pointing out the gov did not give her a pardon and instead went with an option that gives him a bunch of accolades for mercy and poo poo while knowing this woman who committed a horrible crime will likely be re-arrested sooner rather than later.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

That new poll is an internet opt in poll only so I don't know how much stock you can put into it.
It's all we have at this point. Once they have more polls, then we can weight it appropriately (or not at all, depending).

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Has the fact that Trump long wanted the wall to be 'see-through' been forgotten by a whole bunch of people?

Slats are the wall he's wanted for a long time. Rebranding it works on dumb people.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

eke out posted:

Blah blah Schumer Shutdown, who gives a poo poo.

If I wanted to have my tv viewing interrupted by a narcissist bitching about how everything is everyone else’s fault I’d probably still have a relationship with my dad.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is there any recent evidence to suggest this?
YouGov poll over Christmas had 46% blaming Trump the most, compared to 35% for Democrats. Ipsos around the same time found 47% to 33%, Morning Consult found 43% to 31%. Initially, Trump got most of the blame.

A later YouGov poll from the end of December showed that people were increasingly blaming Republicans in Congress, with 58% disapproving of how they are handling the shutdown, compared to 49% for Trump and 51% for Democrats. It's a bit apples to oranges, so I think we'll have a better picture as more polls come out. But either way, I don't think Pelosi backs down until at least day 26 - and even then, it's going to be with quid pro quo for the wall, not a capitulation.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Crows Turn Off posted:

Saving this for when EvilWeasel gets back and claims I'm being facetious when I say that people think shutdowns only hurt Democrats.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's all we have at this point. Once they have more polls, then we can weight it appropriately (or not at all, depending).

I mean if we're throwing in online polls then here's one from last Monday run by the Hill: https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/423513-democrats-facing-little-blame-from-public-over-partial

quote:

The shifting GOP messaging appears to have caused some confusion for Republican voters over whom to blame for the situation.

While 75 percent of Democratic respondents in The Hill-HarrisX poll pointed the finger at Trump, only 47 percent of Republican voters said congressional Democrats were responsible for the shutdown.

Many GOP respondents, 39 percent, said that both parties in Congress and the president are to blame. Just 17 percent of Democratic respondents agreed with that assertion.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I'm really curious what her explanation of the "humanitarian crisis" would be, it's almost certainly not even remotely close to reality.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Tibalt posted:

YouGov poll over Christmas had 46% blaming Trump the most, compared to 35% for Democrats. Ipsos around the same time found 47% to 33%, Morning Consult found 43% to 31%. Initially, Trump got most of the blame.

A later YouGov poll from the end of December showed that people were increasingly blaming Republicans in Congress, with 58% disapproving of how they are handling the shutdown, compared to 49% for Trump and 51% for Democrats. It's a bit apples to oranges, so I think we'll have a better picture as more polls come out. But either way, I don't think Pelosi backs down until at least day 26 - and even then, it's going to be with quid pro quo for the wall, not a capitulation.

Why do Trump and the GOP always get a free pass when it comes to polls or blame? They are the same loving party, with the same dumbfuck stupid goals

They always just lumped in democrats with Obama in polls; what the gently caress?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don’t care whether people blame Trump or the GOP Congressmen as long as it’s at least one of them. In fact the more that the disapproval shifts to the GOP in Congress the more pressure The Turtle will feel.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Why do Trump and the GOP always get a free pass when it comes to polls or blame? They are the same loving party, with the same dumbfuck stupid goals

They always just lumped in democrats with Obama in polls; what the gently caress?

The American public is generally disengaged and loving dim.

We're simple folk and the types of groups you find here and the extremely online out in the social media wilds are not representative of the generally dim and preoccupied electorate.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

I mean if we're throwing in online polls then here's one from last Monday run by the Hill: https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/423513-democrats-facing-little-blame-from-public-over-partial

The media has done such a thorough job of "both-sides"-ing the shutdown that significant portions of people in both those polls blame Democrats. Goddamnit.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It’s fun that pilots and air traffic controllers are frantically telling everyone that the shutdown is going to cause a horrific plane accident. That’s fun.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

It’s fun that pilots and air traffic controllers are frantically telling everyone that the shutdown is going to cause a horrific plane accident. That’s fun.

Just glad I have nowhere to fly to for the immediate future.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

VH4Ever posted:

Just glad I have nowhere to fly to for the immediate future.

My sister and her fiance do, and I'm loving terrified. I can only hope that her company tells her she can teleconference if she doesn't feel comfortable flying.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The secret to not crashing is never taking off in the first place. Just get a plane that does that and ride it to your destination.

Edit: I'm taking this idea to Silicon Valley. Gonna kickstart it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stereotype posted:

Hopefully air Force one is involved

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I mean Chuck Schumer, the ballless jellyfish, is basically tripling down today in holding the line by being willing to shut down that Israeli Boycott bill until the government is funded. Pelosi on her end has not moved an inch. If they were seeing bad signs in their internal polling and on the ground info they’d be acting very differently. They’d certainly be more open about “progress” being made. Remember last January when they cut of their shutdown after like 24 hours because they found out right away that they were being largely blamed?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

One of the most interesting things about the recent Trump approval numbers is that they have become fairly static, and also that they have had a larger increase in "Disapprove" than a decrease in "Approve".

Around about December 13th, a little bit before the Mattis resignation and the largest stock market losses, the 538 tracker had him at 42.5 approve, 51.6 disapprove. Currently it is at 41.4 approve, and 53.5 disapprove. It has been pretty solid like that for a week or so.

Trump's shutdown isn't dropping his approval numbers much, because he is doing something his base likes. But it is causing people who somehow, magically, manage to be in the middle, to change from "No Opinion" to "Disapprove". If Trump does give up on the wall, there is a good chance that both numbers will go down: people sick of the shutdown will no longer disapprove, but his base will no longer "approve" because he caved on one of his promises.

Yeah, that is a scary thought: at least some of the disapprove numbers are people who don't like him because he isn't crazy enough. Although I imagine that most people who are more extreme than Trump still say they approve, rather than disapprove.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

A powerful own goal it might be, but apparently Trump doesn't care, and Mitch McConnell is busy hiding in his shell--so what are our options? Wait until enough Republicans decide to put country before party?

It's more accurate to say that we wait for Republicans to give up, but yes basically. There is zero reason for the Democrats to cave, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Can you post a link to this?