Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Computer, start beaming chicken strips into my mouth and lock out any cancellation requests authorization O'Brien-Delta-Six-Niner. Engage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Bogus Adventure posted:

Shakespeare also borrowed a TON from other writers and writing tropes that were common at the time. For example, Hamlet already existed before he rewrote it. Maybe....juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust maybe...Shakespeare was the JJ Abrams of his time...

Shakespeare may not have been original but he told drat good stories. The artistic affectation of originality is a mostly modern conceit and we suck at it (see all those sequels and reboots).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, they did that poo poo on the enterprise too. i've forgotten a lot of these episodes.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Danaru posted:

Computer, start beaming chicken strips into my mouth and lock out any cancellation requests authorization O'Brien-Delta-Six-Niner. Engage.
at which point a translation glitch from cardassian > federation common means the replicator begins beaming lukewarm poo poo directly into his mouth, and his children onto random disembarking ships

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Danaru posted:

Keiko convinces Rom to reverse the phase polarity of the transporter buffer and he finds himself filled with Asian salads.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Xenocides posted:

I was happy he hooked up with Ezri. :3:

Ehh, they had zero chemistry. And then you have the weird angle of Bashir stalking and striking out with Jadzia for years, and apparently all he had to do was wait for the next host.

“Stalk a girl long enough and eventually her stomach parasite will love you.”
- DS9 S7 Writers

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehh, they had zero chemistry. And then you have the weird angle of Bashir stalking and striking out with Jadzia for years, and apparently all he had to do was wait for the next host.

- DS9 S7 Writers

Zero chemistry is a step up from most Trek romances which are negatively charged.

Dax was also obviously turned on by genetically engineered guys but it was too late to act on it by the time she found out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By year 6 you can't blame the cardassians no more!!!!!

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no, they did that poo poo on the enterprise too. i've forgotten a lot of these episodes.

I vaguely recall Keiko being the picky eater in TNG. Like there's a scene where she proudly proclaimed eating the exact same thing every day of her life and gets disgusted when O'Brien mentioned his mother cooked using real meat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I vaguely recall Keiko being the picky eater in TNG. Like there's a scene where she proudly proclaimed eating the exact same thing every day of her life and gets disgusted when O'Brien mentioned his mother cooked using real meat.

She could have gone the other way and is now subjecting O'Brien to her cooking experiments.

Wouldn't be surprised if cooking is another mandatory elective at Starfleet Academy along with general survival. Of course, O'Brien actually enjoys Starfleet rations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- DS9 S7 Writers

Actually it's a bit creepier than that because one of the first things Ezri says to Bashir is that Jadzia would have eventually given in and dated him if he had just tried harder.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I always liked that bit where Jadzia is clearly distraught and messed up when she thinks she's getting rejected by the symbiote when they're on their way to Trillplanet and so she goes to bashirs room in her sexy clothes and asks to stay over and he remembers medical ethics that time . Sure is a shame that they completely forget this every single other time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EvilTaytoMan posted:

yes, and then that evening he served a culinary horror which she could not handle- potato casserole!!!!!

this was in the first cardassian episode, which i was surprised to find was also an o'brien episode. i didn't even remember that he had episodes on tng.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone eventually got an episode on TNG, even Barky

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

yes, and then that evening he served a culinary horror which she could not handle- potato casserole!!!!!

this was in the first cardassian episode, which i was surprised to find was also an o'brien episode. i didn't even remember that he had episodes on tng.

It would have been funnier if she liked potatoes and he liked seaweed, like real Japanese and Irish people

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Actually it's a bit creepier than that because one of the first things Ezri says to Bashir is that Jadzia would have eventually given in and dated him if he had just tried harder.

No, it was more if Worf had never shown up she would have fallen for Bashir. Either Bashir had matured to someone she could love or she has a fetish for the genetically engineered. I favor the latter theory.

Based on that we can assume that the next incarnation of Dax will hook up with Emperor Kahless.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xenocides posted:

TNG really epitomized the messed up relationship with Picard/Beverly and Riker/Troi where it seemed that their main reason for not getting together was an adolescent “need to focus on career” rationalization. It takes a a lot to make Data/Tasha and Miles/Keiko seem like a mature relationship by comparison.

It was never brought up, but I'd also imagine there's still a "Please don't gently caress someone under your direct command" rule in Starfleet.

That and the TNG couples suffered from the no serialization or continuity, let people watch the episodes in any order philosophy of the time that got even more dogmatic in Voyager.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hey remember that time that they sent Jadzia and Worf on a dangerous mission alone together because Starfleet is dumb as hell about these things

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

That cant be good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That would only be like 1/2 of my total post count

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's probably for the best.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

It’s a really underrated episode as well. The scene where O’Brien beams over to talk down Maxwell and they sing “The Minstrel Boy” is just as good as any of O’Brien’s DS9 moments.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The most glaring plot hole is early on Jadzia acts like she was disgusted that Morn asked her out and then later she makes it sound like she asked him out and he turned her down flat

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maybe he thought she just wanted access to his mud jacuzzi because of the Worm

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cessna posted:

That's probably for the best.

i've been skipping wesley episodes and episodes about children. the remaining 1/3 or so of season 3 has been quite good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

The most glaring plot hole is early on Jadzia acts like she was disgusted that Morn asked her out and then later she makes it sound like she asked him out and he turned her down flat

The burning passion for Morn's hot body is a long burn but a hot one.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I never got the feeling that Jadzia wasn't interested in Bashir, it was just more that he was a young kid fresh out of the Academy and he had no idea what he was getting into as far as a joined trill. Jadzia always seemed to like flirting, even with Bashir. Bashir's deal was that he needed to cool it about 100°.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't gently caress ur cowankers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Proud of Sisko and Kasidy making a mixed-screentime relationship work

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

That is what we call mental gymnastics and autovictimization.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
she was just a side piece with regard to liberal humanism and wormhole aliens

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Kassidy's reaction to the Defiant decloaking was loving hilarious because it means she got busted by the cops AND her boyfriend

Also god drat Eddington was ice cold selling her out in that episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cythereal posted:

It was never brought up, but I'd also imagine there's still a "Please don't gently caress someone under your direct command" rule in Starfleet.

That and the TNG couples suffered from the no serialization or continuity, let people watch the episodes in any order philosophy of the time that got even more dogmatic in Voyager.

I saw a comic recently who's a history professor and said the first day and second day of orientation in Tennessee they had seminars "DON'T gently caress YOUR STUDENTS". Then later he was teaching in New York and they had a first day seminar "We would PREFER if you didn't gently caress your students! But IF YOU DO please let us know so we can TRANSFER them to another class."

This created a bizarre incentive in terms of work load.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
eddington and Odo should have buried the hatchet and gotten married

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

she was just a side piece with regard to liberal humanism and wormhole aliens

drat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

Hey remember that time that they sent Jadzia and Worf on a dangerous mission alone together because Starfleet is dumb as hell about these things

Sisko does at least admit that was a really bad idea after the fact.

naem
May 29, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch, is one of those actors that everyone seems to love for some unknown reason, and I really don't like him in anything.

I like cucumber patch

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Hey we revolted against those douchebags we should keep it going.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was someone who really wanted Jadzia and Bashir to end up together. I suppose it makes sense that she wouldn’t mind the attention but Bashir was young, inexperienced, but arrogant of his abilities or just brash or something and while Jadzia is physically young, thanks to the symbiote she has hundreds of years of experiences to draw from so it’s a mis match. The novelty may wear off. Given Dax’s history with the Klingons as Curzon, Worf being her type made much more sense.

Bashir and Garak make a hell of a lot more sense that Garak would have fun leading Bashir around. Even would have been fun to see him and Kira annoy each other

Gatts fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Hmmm small d bashir or big d worf tough call