Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

So didn't they promise the f14 for December?

Let me guess they're going to release it new years eve .... ?

But if you’re a Christen Eagle fan, good news...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Thanks for the X-Plane links! I spent an hour the other day flying the S-76 helicopter back and forth between two airports in my home city (5 miles each way). It'd been a while since I'd flown a helicopter that wasn't the Ka-50, and holy poo poo does that thing's autopilot spoil you.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Getting back in to this. So far I've had to spend about a 1:2 ratio of troubleshooting and actual pretending to fly airplanes. Got my old P3D 2.5 install running like a champ again though and even got to use the old GOON airfield for a diversion because my wife woke up a bit earlier than I thought. GOON of course is a strip I built in an airport editor because the FSE devs are dumb and refuse to correct the airport locations that are wrong in their database which is a 1:1 copy of DS9 even though nobody uses FS9 anymore.

I'm tempted to move all the airplanes in the region there.

Now I kinda want to give XP11 a whirl but I really can't spend any money on this stuff.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Bubbacub posted:

But if you’re a Christen Eagle fan, good news...

Not gonna lie, I am super amped about this poo poo

SoapyTarantula
Jun 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shine posted:

Ka-50's autopilot

I remember a time when I knew how it worked and could get it to do exactly what I wanted to almost without trying. Sadly, as I didn't fly it for all of a week, all that knowledge was lost to me and now I'm firmly in the "its trying to kill me" camp.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

In situations reminiscent of the thread title, I'm trying to civ sim (specifically some GA in a Cessna 177RG) but everything but my navdata needs updating

EDIT: And the sim crashes once I get airborne

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 1, 2019

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Been kicking around the idea of getting back into flight sims. I haven't really done anything since FS2004. Is FSX still the go to, or should I look into xplane?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

If you're not tied in to any specific Sim right now, X-Plane is probably the way to go.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I regret having like 500bux worth of stuff for FSX. So much money spent on a dead platform.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Carth Dookie posted:

If you're not tied in to any specific Sim right now, X-Plane is probably the way to go.

Pretty much this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Amazon has the Warthog throttle on sale for $100 off MSRP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5X3Z2S

Picked one up to pair with my Cougar in preparation for DCS: F-14, and I've heard you can mix/match them. I'm more comfortable with the F-16 stick since it has a heavier base.

EDIT: Dell is selling it for $189.99 and the $199 price seems to be uniform pretty much everywhere else. Thrustmaster might be about to show something off at CES.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 3, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Amazon has the Warthog throttle on sale for $100 off MSRP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5X3Z2S

Picked one up to pair with my Cougar in preparation for DCS: F-14, and I've heard you can mix/match them. I'm more comfortable with the F-16 stick since it has a heavier base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0nuwLtnLlY - Ralfidude.

I linked this in the DCS thread, but there's a bit of crossover.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So if you ever needed proof that Thrustmaster/Guillemot makes their stuff to 'self-destruct'...

...I've not used my HOTAS Cougar in years. It's literally been without the stick attached to it for ~2-3 years now, and I kept it without the stick attached specifically to not put extra weight on the gimbal assembly inside.

Tonight, I take it out, dust it off, attach the stick, begin to run it through the range of motion, and SNAP, the stick limply falls to the right.

I say quite a few curse words, then open up the base and sure enough, the gimbal's busted along one of the long axes. Since the stick's *long* out of warranty, I've no recourse really than to order a damned Warthog stick while they're discounted. Yes, I know I could avail myself of the few providers of 3D printed part replacements for it, but while I'm a wiz at putting computers together, I'm not as seasoned with mechanical repair, and the cheapest parts I could find were *plastic* and *still* cost ~$100 for all four pieces of the gimbal assembly.

gently caress.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 6, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So if you ever needed proof that Thrustmaster/Guillemot makes their stuff to 'self-destruct'...

...I've not used my HOTAS Cougar in years. It's literally been without the stick attached to it for ~2-3 years now, and I kept it without the stick attached specifically to not put extra weight on the gimbal assembly inside.

Tonight, I take it out, dust it off, attach the stick, begin to run it through the range of motion, and SNAP, the stick limply falls to the right.

I say quite a few curse words, then open up the base and sure enough, the gimbal's busted along one of the long axes. Since the stick's *long* out of warranty, I've no recourse really than to order a damned Warthog stick while they're discounted. Yes, I know I could avail myself of the few providers of 3D printed part replacements for it, but while I'm a wiz at putting computers together, I'm not as seasoned with mechanical repair, and the cheapest parts I could find were *plastic* and *still* cost ~$100 for all four pieces of the gimbal assembly.

gently caress.

That sucks, but i perked up when you said the warthog is discounted.

gently caress everyone ever that lists a Warthog HOTAS using a stock picture that clearly shows both the joystick and throttle, but the price is for JUST the joystick.

And I found that allover the internet, not just one place. I'm sure they get plenty of suckers that buy it thinking it's a killer price to have just the stick show up

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Blue On Blue posted:

That sucks, but i perked up when you said the warthog is discounted.

gently caress everyone ever that lists a Warthog HOTAS using a stock picture that clearly shows both the joystick and throttle, but the price is for JUST the joystick.

And I found that allover the internet, not just one place. I'm sure they get plenty of suckers that buy it thinking it's a killer price to have just the stick show up

Well, the set *is* discounted at the moment - Dell's selling the throttle for $189.99, and pretty much everywhere else is selling the stick for $198-199.99. I've seen Newegg discount the ensemble for under $400 before, though.

It's pretty clear Thrustmaster's going to show something new at CES/finally put the F/A-18 set up for sale very soon.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, the set *is* discounted at the moment - Dell's selling the throttle for $189.99, and pretty much everywhere else is selling the stick for $198-199.99. I've seen Newegg discount the ensemble for under $400 before, though.

It's pretty clear Thrustmaster's going to show something new at CES/finally put the F/A-18 set up for sale very soon.

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on that drat Warthog for years now.

But the x-55 i have sitting in front of me collecting dust, and has barely been used says otherwise

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I can't buy anything thrustmaster... I had a wheel of theirs and the base died. And I thought oh, kind of bad luck. Then the second one I bought died right as warranty died.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tater_salad posted:

I can't buy anything thrustmaster... I had a wheel of theirs and the base died. And I thought oh, kind of bad luck. Then the second one I bought died right as warranty died.

Yeah - I can't even say "oh, well - it saw a lot of use." The loving gimbal broke after I'd set it aside for *years* without use, and without the stick attached to the base. That tells me they used poo poo-quality metal that brittled over time.

At $198 and no tax, it's cheaper to get a damned Warthog stick/base than spend $100+ for just the 3D printed *plastic* parts, then however damned long it'd take to change out the innards, with no guarantee of success in the attempt.

Maybe I can find someone to buy my still-working (fingers crossed) Cougar throttle.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I might grab the Warthog throttle at some point. I'm finally replacing my CH stuff (still works, I just want something new and shiny) and ordered a VKB Gunfighter and MFG Crosswinds. Seems like there aren't a lot of options for fancy throttles, but the Warthog looks neat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

gently caress.

Russia to the rescue?

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html

Question mark, because I have NO IDEA how good these are

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah - I can't even say "oh, well - it saw a lot of use." The loving gimbal broke after I'd set it aside for *years* without use, and without the stick attached to the base. That tells me they used poo poo-quality metal that brittled over time.

At $198 and no tax, it's cheaper to get a damned Warthog stick/base than spend $100+ for just the 3D printed *plastic* parts, then however damned long it'd take to change out the innards, with no guarantee of success in the attempt.

Maybe I can find someone to buy my still-working (fingers crossed) Cougar throttle.

Huh, I had the same, except that my stick was attached all the time.

After like 5 or 10 years I took it out and bam, broken.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Shine posted:

I might grab the Warthog throttle at some point. I'm finally replacing my CH stuff (still works, I just want something new and shiny) and ordered a VKB Gunfighter and MFG Crosswinds. Seems like there aren't a lot of options for fancy throttles, but the Warthog looks neat.

I'm kind of in the same boat with my CH stuff. It all works and I have no real reason to replace them, buuuuuut it would be nice to get something newer.

That being said, the CH Software isn't being developed anymore and CH-Hangar is gone with no archive available. CH Software is a bummer but the stuff works out of the box with Windows 10. CH-Hangar sucks as pretty much all Google searches for for CH Products stuff points there.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Jonny Nox posted:

Russia to the rescue?

https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html

Question mark, because I have NO IDEA how good these are

Reddit RAVES about these things and if I flew Migs or Su’s I’d probably get one but I’d rather play F-15 jock.

Speaking of, I really want an old Suncom F-15 stick. Supposedly you can hack them to work with modern input buses but I guess it’s kind of a pain

edit: also I guess Virpil is based in Belarus whose government is even somehow even shittier than Russia’s so I dunno if I’d personally want to spend my money there. I dunno maybe I’m dumb

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

uXs posted:

Huh, I had the same, except that my stick was attached all the time.

After like 5 or 10 years I took it out and bam, broken.

In hindsight, I really should've considered re-greasing it first, but the way it broke, and looking at the metal fragments...nope, this is just really poo poo-quality metal. It feels like hard pencil lead and I can feel 'flex' when attempting to bend it.

And as tempting as that base replacement looks - it's 150EUR before shipping and VAT (and currently out of stock), whereas $198 gets me a new yoke and two years of warranty on it, even though Youtube's telling me it has a 'sticking' problem. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 7, 2019

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Finally got motivated to upgrade from FSX to XP11. €65 is way too steep though and it looked like I missed the last sale that might happen for atleast 6 months.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Steam does a spring sale and XP11 is old enough now to probably go on sale every time other games do

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What are you guys doing for stands for your hotas? I build a thing out of PVC pipe a few years ago and it was sort of functional, but it's pretty big and clunky and not ideal.

simble
May 11, 2004

I built this for my warthog stick. Had plans of doing a throttle version but never got around to it. I have a cardboard box with a bunch of poo poo in it that is the perfect height for the throttle that slides under my desk so not a lot of motivation.

My chair slides under it perfectly and the friction hold is plenty to keep it in place. And when I'm done it comes right out and just sits next to my computer case or in the closet.

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/tv9m4dh

simble fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 7, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slidebite posted:

What are you guys doing for stands for your hotas? I build a thing out of PVC pipe a few years ago and it was sort of functional, but it's pretty big and clunky and not ideal.

Adjustable speaker stands, not perfect but gets the job done.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

slidebite posted:

VPC Desk mounts.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Have they started working on solutions for using a vr headset with a hotas ?

Ie how do you know where to press buttons without taking off the headset

I imagined a bunch of little stickys you can put on everything to make a vr seeable *thing*

Either a shape or each button

But then how would it super impose that with the vr cockpit in the way

Or has this already been figured out and I'm behind in the times ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is there a adapter for the saitek stuff. Or do you need to spend 500+ on a hotas for it to be compatible

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Blue On Blue posted:

Is there a adapter for the saitek stuff. Or do you need to spend 500+ on a hotas for it to be compatible

Probably not for Saitek, no, at least not without some drilling. They have adapters and fititng plates primarily for the Warthog, so if you can figure out somethign that works for that one, it should work here too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Those look sort of interesting, anything similar more available in North America? I suppose a guy could build something similar to that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Shine posted:

I'm finally replacing my CH stuff (still works, I just want something new and shiny) and ordered a VKB Gunfighter and MFG Crosswinds.

Holy poo poo these things are sensitive! :stwoon:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I'd likely have tried a Commie base if it had said it'd work with the Cougar stick. As it stands, it'll definitely be my go-to option after the 2+1 year warranty runs out on my Warthog.

I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more info out of Thrustmaster at CES. I was guessing the price drop on the Warthog stuff was clearance for the F/A-18C stick/throttle combo, or some surprise F-14 HOTAS out of nowhere.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If Cougar and Warthog sticks are interchangeable, you should be able to use your Cougar stick with a Commie base.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, except with a brand new Warthog stick costing ~$199, that was cheaper than a Commie base before shipping.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

A buddy of mine recently fell into a sim hole and dragged me into X-Plane, which I am very happy about. I was super suspicious because my mental image was from years ago when X-Plane seemed to be more of a flight model where FS9/X had all the bells and whistles to make it an “experience.”

Now I’m in for I think almost $100 of various payware and watching Netflix in a VR window inside my cockpit during long flights.

What’s any of y’alls staples for X-Plane? Mind you I’m avoiding straight graphical upgrades - anything taxing destroys VR since it’s already not the best performance ever (on a 1080Ti no less) but I’d love to know if there’s any must-haves I’m missing. Right now I have two payware aircraft (the Carendo Do228 and the Challenger 300), I have Navigraph and use Simbrief and ProjectFly for flight plans and tracking. I also have the Zibo 737, which blows my mind that it’s freeware. My buddy, another friend, and I bought the smartcopilot plugin which also works surprisingly well for planes that support it. I got the HD world meshes.

My buddy has some kinda FS Real Weather thing but it’s $40 and it seems like all it does is take the default sort “*shrug* Sorta these conditions.” to turbo accuracy, which doesn’t matter so much to me. I tried out the 124th ATC plugin (not looking for IVAO/Vatsim for personal reasons) but it wasn’t much better than the pretty bad stock solution and didn’t work for poo poo in VR.

I guess I’m mostly looking for diamonds in the rough - especially things not on the .org store. I’m disappointed to hear that the 777 on the store needs a visual update and might not support VR, which has become necessary for me now. I need a true long haul/heavy liner since I have a medium jet and STOL turboprop. I like “experience” addons - I mention the weather one cause it sounds good but not absolutely worth the money. I eyeballed World Traffic but I’m worried it’ll make VR slow to a crawl and also I’m not going to use the stock ATC to actually manage traffic and patterns, so it seems like a bad buy.

Anyway, TLDR: Sell me on your favorite planes or addons, freeware or payware. All I have in exchange is plane pictures and stories about really drunk flying, or my pitiful projectfly logbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Pilotedge. Get over whatever fears you have and do their training program.