Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Queen are fine they’re just one of those bands that everyone is like “YOU HAVE TO LOVE THEM YOU SUCK IF YOU DON’T” and I’m not into them enough for that to not annoy me.

Is there any chance someone would be able to post a small synopsis of Future Man s1 / how it ended? Don’t wanna rewatch it but also can’t remember what happened at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Queen are fine they’re just one of those bands that everyone is like “YOU HAVE TO LOVE THEM YOU SUCK IF YOU DON’T” and I’m not into them enough for that to not annoy me.

Is there any chance someone would be able to post a small synopsis of Future Man s1 / how it ended? Don’t wanna rewatch it but also can’t remember what happened at the end

I started rewatching the last episode so i could answer your question.

It's too complicated, you need to watch it.

"I'm loving you with your own dick!"

edit:
Josh, Tiger, Wolf, Owl and Dingo go to the Kronish building and start laying charges everywhere, Josh decides to go to the future with them but end up climbing the possum chute to kill Kronish and die in the explosion. Owl and Dingo end up muy dead. Tiger and Wolf TTD back to their time, Josh manages to escape and gets captured by the cop, 1 year later in prison the TTD effects start and fades to black.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 7, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He got the better end of that deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The last episode itself would serve as a refresher as that's the big one that moved the plot forward.

Otherwise

They blew up the Kronish tower after Kronish injected himself with a disease cocktail and Josh (Joosh) took the blame for it and is in jail. It ends with the flash of a time travel portal opening up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1081601587393544192

This works surprisingly well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHwRal-AR8

What if John Wick Was Mads Mikkelsen

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 7, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Mann posted:

With how long the movie has been in development and how many revisions it's gone through pretty much every take on Mercury has been floated and hated by people on both sides so it's one of those cases where people are pinning too much of their identity on him for it to ever really satisfy everyone. Like there was one version that had a scene where Freddy had public sex with a man which was a thing that really happened and people complained that it made him look too depraved and sex-crazed and that the movie shouldn't be going out if its way to reinforce negative stereotypes of the gay community, and then when they excised it people complained that sanitizing the real person was them whitewashing history to make it more marketable to the squares a la the Stonewall movie from a few years back. And in both cases you have bisexuals bringing up the fact that he also hosed women with the tenacity of a Kool-Aid rep reminding everyone that the people at Jonestown actually drank cyanide-laced Flavor Aid thank you very much.

Yeah, it's impossible to make a movie about Mercury without pissing some people off.

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMHwRal-AR8

What if John Wick Was Mads Mikkelsen

hmmmm could b fun

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're ever in a fight with Mads Mikkelsen try to avoid taking out one of his eyes as it only makes him look more badass.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Josh Lyman posted:

As much as the Globes are a fake award, The Americans continuing to get hosed is bullshit

Aren't the Golden Globes for movies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's for TV too but The Americans won best drama so idk what he's on about.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

It's for TV too but The Americans won best drama so idk what he's on about.

Prob pissed Rhys didn't win, which is fine imho he at least nabbed the Emmy for it.

The real gently caress up is if Russell didn't win Actress. Did she or did she not? I'm only watching the Globes right now tbh. God Sandra Oh is such a fuckin gem and I'm glad she's finally getting some real attention now that she's doing good shows instead of trash like Grey's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only thing I know about the Golden Globes is that the punchline for the episode of the Drew Carey Show where he spent the entire episode trying to get nominated for an Emmy is that when he didn't, he went down to the pawn shop with 80 bucks to buy a couple of Golden Globes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rewatching You’re the Worst s4 and I wasn’t into Clarence Clarity then but I am now and it’s just another perfect Stephen Falk needledrop

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love the Globes b/c it's so much more relaxed a show. The celebrities are all drinking and imo the awards usually skew more toward feeling legit than something like an Emmy or an Oscar does w/r/t actual merit being awarded.

They still mean next to nothing, but they feel more real than the big two do.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m pretty sure the Globes are the most “bought” out of all the major Hollywood awards, but we all know awards are bullshit anyway and I think it has a fun tone. Plus I like when it gives early nods to shows when it can help the hype like Atlanta or Maisel

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m pretty sure the Globes are the most “bought” out of all the major Hollywood awards

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Just goes to show that the vibe and tone of an award show goes a long way to making it enjoyable to watch. The Oscars are too loving stuffy these days despite repeated attempts to make it cool/fun, which end up just making it cringier lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

esperterra posted:

Prob pissed Rhys didn't win, which is fine imho he at least nabbed the Emmy for it.

The real gently caress up is if Russell didn't win Actress. Did she or did she not? I'm only watching the Globes right now tbh. God Sandra Oh is such a fuckin gem and I'm glad she's finally getting some real attention now that she's doing good shows instead of trash like Grey's.

Arquette won for Escape at Dannemora or whatever it's called

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

loving CHRIST

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love Rhys so much, but Russell was hands down the best actor on The Americans imho especiallllly in the last season. She just embodied Elizabeth so loving well.

I'm glad one of them finally got an award for the show but they both should have gdi

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So was the last Emmys the last one they were eligible for?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

So was the last Emmys the last one they were eligible for?

Unfortunately, yes.

The worst part is I'm happy Claire Foy won for The Crown but I wish Russell had gotten it instead. Sucks because it was the last year for both of them to be eligible for the award so

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ComplexMusic/status/1082337310702792705?s=19

I'm sure this will end well

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh look this is literally what Scientology does

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That was the miniseries category. Oh won the main one for Eve.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, did she

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. It’s bullshit that Arquette beat Adams, not Russell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Oh, did she

I see what you did there :thunkher:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

That was the miniseries category. Oh won the main one for Eve.

hmmm now i'm conflicted!!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy crap I am watching The Masked Singer on Hulu and I have no idea what's going on but I really expect Katniss Everdeen to break through my door or take over the broadcast...
:stare:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/thefader/status/987541885328740353

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

"what if Trump wasn't white?"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/1/4/18168810/carmen-sandiego-animated-series-netflix-release-date

I don't get why they changed the show's premise to this. "Crime school"? "Thief who only steals from other thieves"? What, is stealing monuments and following the cops trying to stop her not cool anymore?

It's not really any different than the Ducktales reboot playing down Scrooge's wealth in favor of him being an adventurer because who the gently caress wants to root for a billionaire these days. Teaching kids that cops are heroes and their friends is about the worst message any piece of media aimed at educating kids these days can have, especially when Carmen herself was the most iconic and interesting part of the entire property and everything with ACME Detective Agency was riffing on a generation of crime media meant for the parents of the parents whose kids are watching the new show.

Escobarbarian posted:

Gen Xers happily falling into the same trap they spent their entire lives complaining about Boomers doing as soon as they started getting old themselves is annoying but also completely unsurprising.

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m pretty sure the Globes are the most “bought” out of all the major Hollywood awards, but we all know awards are bullshit anyway and I think it has a fun tone. Plus I like when it gives early nods to shows when it can help the hype like Atlanta or Maisel

I never understand why people dedicate so much time and effort to the conspiracy theory that awards shows, which they totally don't care about despite watching and livetweeting every year and then dedicating more words to the events and outcome of the award show itself than any piece of the actual media they consumed that year, are all bought and paid for on some 10th dimensional marketing chess game that has been going on for a century without ever being exposed when right now you can look up the price sheet to buy an endorsement from almost every major streamer, youtube personality, pop culture writer, and social media influencer in existence. Is it the pretense of authority that comes with being an industry awards show? Is it just a weird current of anti-intellectualism?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Guy Mann posted:

I never understand why people dedicate so much time and effort to the conspiracy theory that awards shows, which they totally don't care about despite watching and livetweeting every year and then dedicating more words to the events and outcome of the award show itself than any piece of the actual media they consumed that year, are all bought and paid for on some 10th dimensional marketing chess game that has been going on for a century without ever being exposed when right now you can look up the price sheet to buy an endorsement from almost every major streamer, youtube personality, pop culture writer, and social media influencer in existence. Is it the pretense of authority that comes with being an industry awards show? Is it just a weird current of anti-intellectualism?

With the Globes, it's because it's been extensively well-documented that the awards are bought and paid for. The HFPA is a group of 80-some people who live in southern California, several of whom have said in interviews, on condition of anonymity, that it's an open secret among the membership that the winners go to the studios who do the best job of wining and dining them.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Timby posted:

With the Globes, it's because it's been extensively well-documented that the awards are bought and paid for. The HFPA is a group of 80-some people who live in southern California, several of whom have said in interviews, on condition of anonymity, that it's an open secret among the membership that the winners go to the studios who do the best job of wining and dining them.

Ricky Gevais mocked them to their faces about it, especially when The Tourist won an award.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gary Oldman used to be very anti-Golden Globes. I don't know if he's changed his mind now that he's won.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It actually doesn't seem terribly conspiratorial to think that the award shows put on by the same industry that are handing out awards to themselves end up being largely about glad handing, connections, bribes, and messaging. Like, that just kind of seems like a natural course of events and doesn't even strike me as that damning. "Best Picture" is a purely subjective notion and the film industry is gonna have a different opinion a lot of times than SA even if no one got paid for it or had a steak dinner.

But then again I also don't care so that probably feeds into my indifference of it. And like genuinely don't care, not like "I don't care" but I still watch and get upset at the results. But "I don't care" in football ends and they say "stay tuned for the Golden Globes" and I turn on something else (that is probably dumber).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

"what if Trump wasn't white?"

Trump's been dropped by plenty of representation

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A very good joke.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

It actually doesn't seem terribly conspiratorial to think that the award shows put on by the same industry that are handing out awards to themselves end up being largely about glad handing, connections, bribes, and messaging. Like, that just kind of seems like a natural course of events and doesn't even strike me as that damning. "Best Picture" is a purely subjective notion and the film industry is gonna have a different opinion a lot of times than SA even if no one got paid for it or had a steak dinner.

Harvey Weinstein was notorious for ploughing tons of his company's money into promoting Best Picture campaigns for movies he produced. Shakespeare In Love is an infamous example because he was so blatant about it and also because it beat out the favourite for the year (Saving Private Ryan).

But obviously it goes all the way back to the very start of industry awards. They came up with the Oscars to congratulate themselves but they managed to get a bit less obvious over time. Even so, there's that one book about the birth of "New Hollywood" which centres around the five movies nominated for Best Picture in 1967: Bonnie & Clyde; In the Heat of the Night; The Graduate; Guess Who's Coming to Dinner; and... Dr Dolittle, which looks very out of place next to the rest of them because it was the subject of a concerted behind-the-scenes campaign to get it nominated.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Black Monday is REALLY loving good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Top shows of 2018 poll just got to the top 10, come hang: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876499