Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

That is not an appropriate place to reply "Wilco".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nipponophile posted:

Questioning a Judge? That's three months in the iso-cubes.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

It wasn't bad but I think the ending was so-so because it was boxed in as a prequel. I think a lot of folks forget that Old Man Logan wasn't great either, it was just a kinda cool elseworlds take on the Marvel universe. The writing was pretty juvenile at times but I think it resonated with people because it was so different and interesting to see that kind of world building.

I remember when Old Man Logan came out and lots of people who enjoyed it, even though/because of the plot basically being Unforgiven with Wolverine. It's straight forward but it is well put together.
Yes it has some awful moments (Spider-bitch as a concept.)
Buts it's got some great bits that show how good Millar can be when he tries.
(The world building, the glimpses you get at the OML world.
The horror and despair when you see what Mysterio did to Wolverine. Or the Red Skull defeating Cap.
It also has some fantastic cool moments like how when Wolverine does finally pop the claws, it's nothing but a two page spread of the word "Snickt" or when Wolverine deflects Excalibre with Cap's shield and it's both a perfect homage to Wolverine and Captain America's first crossover, and there is this dawning look of horror on the Red Skull's face.)

There s too many good parts of OML to write it off as bad writing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Question IRL posted:

I remember when Old Man Logan came out and lots of people who enjoyed it, even though/because of the plot basically being Unforgiven with Wolverine. It's straight forward but it is well put together.
The horror and despair when you see what Mysterio did to Wolverine. Or the Red Skull defeating Cap.
It also has some fantastic cool moments like how when Wolverine does finally pop the claws, it's nothing but a two page spread of the word "Snickt" or when Wolverine deflects Excalibre with Cap's shield and it's both a perfect homage to Wolverine and Captain America's first crossover, and there is this dawning look of horror on the Red Skull's face.)

I loved OML, but the whole 'inbred Hulk family who rapes together' felt like something the writer spent too much time detailing for reasons I don't want to think about.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red posted:

I loved OML, but the whole 'inbred Hulk family who rapes together' felt like something the writer spent too much time detailing for reasons I don't want to think about.

Oh that’s very much Mark Millar being Mark Millar. I’ve always said, he’s a great writer but he’s in need of an editor to periodically slap him on the hand and tell him “NO! Bad Mark!”

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Question IRL posted:

Oh that’s very much Mark Millar being Mark Millar. I’ve always said, he’s a great writer but he’s in need of an editor to periodically slap him on the hand and tell him “NO! Bad Mark!”

Some of Millar's best work was when he was writing the Superman Adventures comic, which was the DCAU tie-in, and I imagine it's because he knew it was for kids and as such he had to rein himself in.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Oddly enough, the Dredd panel I just posted was by Millar. He's not one of the better writers at that point, but he's miles better than the guy who wrote the incredibly racist story after him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nipponophile posted:

"Heavy Metal Drummer" came on the radio and he couldn't contain himself, I guess it still kind of bops in the far-flung future.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Uthor posted:

She is canonically happy to see Wolverine.

It gives me such joy that Laura actually smiled

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doc Hawkins posted:

There was, on a Conan O'Brien bit. He was called the Pun-isher.

In his first and only appearance Conan pointed out to him that his name was itself a pun and he exploded.

He actually made a second appearance. The first time his name was something like Captain Punisher. The second time he was Super Punisher so his name was no longer a pun. Conan pointed out that he still had "pun" in his name and he again exploded.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I like green apple candy. :/

(USER WAS THROWN INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT FOR THIS POST.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

cmon with an editor we wouldnt get such gems like...

...booby trapped incest pregnancy? MILLAR NO.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I remember people mentioning mean-spirited comics a while ago, and I think Old Man Logan falls squarely into that. It's like a light Marvel Ruins but while some may make a point that Ruins is so exaggerated that it is almost a parody, Millar plays it 100% straight and surely thought that Bruce raping Jen and making a gang of inbred Hulks was a masterstroke.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mister Mind posted:

I like green apple candy. :/

(USER WAS THROWN INTO A BOTTOMLESS PIT FOR THIS POST.)

This is OK in jolly rancher format but never when you are expecting lime

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

I think a lot of what made OML work (for me at least) was what wasn't shown. You kind of got to guess how everything went down (personally I love how they mention Pym Falls early on and you think of a waterfall and then when they finally get there it's a Giant-Man skeleton and you go "ohhhh, Pym Falls, I get it") and sometimes there were little hints here and there of what happened to who but it was mostly focused on Wolverine.

And of course now that it's kind of had a resurgence in popularity thanks to Logan the movie, Marvel is gonna run that world into the dirt and I would put good money on them just straight up doing a one-shot or a mini soon just spelling out what happened and who killed who because it's money on the table.

But no matter what I do hate that incest Hulk casts a long shadow over all the good parts, cause Millar gonna Millar.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Venomsaurus Rex getting blasted by Black Bolt was awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

MegaCity-1 comes down hard on people who draw voting districts.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't suppose 200AD always has top talent on hand, but that's no sort of official work, is it?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Samuringa posted:

I remember people mentioning mean-spirited comics a while ago, and I think Old Man Logan falls squarely into that. It's like a light Marvel Ruins but while some may make a point that Ruins is so exaggerated that it is almost a parody, Millar plays it 100% straight and surely thought that Bruce raping Jen and making a gang of inbred Hulks was a masterstroke.

I'm reminded of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, which was also a mean-spirited comic. It was very bad. The same writer later did a story called Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe Again, which was a major improvement, since it had drama, tension and a kickass final issue. What was neat about it was that without saying it outright, it was intended to be a stealth prequel to Old Man Logan.

And to get back on topic, it gave us this wonderful description of Eddie Brock.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why does he have like 5 air horns?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm gonna go with Deadpool used them to keep Venom at bay.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

:mmmhmm: that's great.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Random Stranger posted:

MegaCity-1 comes down hard on people who draw voting districts.

Somehow Megacity-1 has more respect for the democratic process than the United States, and I find that sad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, when you're one of the only people in the world who can sneak up on Spider-Man...

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't suppose 200AD always has top talent on hand, but that's no sort of official work, is it?

That's Carlos Ezquerra, he co-created Dredd. Though, the 90s era early computer colouring isn't great.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Carlos ezquerra has a style that has basically never changed and he can only draw two faces but he has his moments and i think his style is charming.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Proteus Jones posted:

Lobok posted:

Well, when you're one of the only people in the world who can sneak up on Spider-Man...

Yup. Deadpool used the air horns to separate Eddie from the symbiote, shot Eddie to smithereens, then used the symbiote to help get the drop on Spider-Man. Then in a traumatized state, he let the symbiote free because 1) it was supposed to take place in the OML reality and that dinosaur thing is supposed to happen and 2) Cullen Bunn really likes to push his idea that Wade wearing the symbiote before Eddie is canon.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Carlos ezquerra has a style that has basically never changed and he can only draw two faces but he has his moments and i think his style is charming.

Wrong tense, sadly.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Unkempt posted:

Wrong tense, sadly.

Awwh he's dead? That's a shame,his style was pretty much the most memorable judge dredd art.

This style will always be my favourite though :

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/todoroquirk/status/1081745212177666049?s=21

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leave newspaper spiderman's space son alone

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Those four pieces of paper on the board should be loss,i mean we're all thinking it right? no?.....just me?....

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I assumed the city skyline was flipping me off.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1064246868102672389

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Gavok posted:

Yup. Deadpool used the air horns to separate Eddie from the symbiote, shot Eddie to smithereens, then used the symbiote to help get the drop on Spider-Man. Then in a traumatized state, he let the symbiote free because 1) it was supposed to take place in the OML reality and that dinosaur thing is supposed to happen and 2) Cullen Bunn really likes to push his idea that Wade wearing the symbiote before Eddie is canon.

gently caress, I hate Deadpool so much.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Well, he doesn't like you either.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Shall we look in the futurescope to see why you become Batman, Bruce?

No, I'm sure it's some wizard fun jape though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Also I'm sure the World's Greatest Detective would have had a hard time figuring out that Superboy standing next to him in full costume would eventually grow into Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His parents would already be dead at that point.