Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Cheap garbage food is the only thing Americans take seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

just remember if you think america has been as loving dumb now as it has ever been

clearchannel's post 9/11 "lyrically questionable" song list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_memorandum

featuring such provocative songs as "walk like an egpytian by the bangles" and *checks notes* "america by neil diamond"
What still mystifies me is the fact that Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me was ever allowed on the radio in the first place.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
all because France wanted evidence before murdering a million Iraqis. how unpatriotic of them

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

just remember if you think america has been as loving dumb now as it has ever been

featuring such provocative songs as "walk like an egpytian by the bangles" and *checks notes* "america by neil diamond"

just loving lol about the climate whiplashing from back then to the freeze peach that exists now

and also lol corporations having to put together a trigger list together and then spend next 20 years walking it back to the point it no longer ever originally existed

and star spangled ice cream i think was the most dumb conservative moral panic food thing too

flavors:
fighting marine touch cookies & cream
air force "plane" vanilla
gi love chocolate
navy battlechip
iraqi road
smaller government
gun nut
i hate the french vanilla
nutty environmentalist
rushmallow
ara-fat free
candy mccain <-- lol
cherry falwell <-- lol
choc & awe
donald rum Raisin
dutch (reagan) chocolate
iraq the vote
orange alert sherbet <-- yes america did need an ice cream for the scary terrorist warning chart that doesn't seem to exist any more. just hmbol
school prayerleens & creme
al gore fundraiser coffee
bill clinton im-peach
jimmy carter Peanut Malaise
john kerry ketchup dough

also note how much things have changed before and after 2006 that this list is completely missing supporting are first responders or even are cops

https://web.archive.org/web/20060207010206/http://www.starspangledicecream.com:80/New/index1.htm

jesus gently caress humans are dumb we deserve ecological collapse from climate change

Rage Against the Machine was completely banned lol

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

the other “authentic” option is provolone I think

I hope the real thing and not provel :ohdear:

provel doesn't really exist outside of St Louis

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

zegermans posted:

so there is a god

(at least outside of St. Louis)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Baloogan posted:

i think japan has been cagey around american president food since HW bush puked on their prime minister

abe is just skeptical because president trum,p called it a steamed hAM

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

zegermans posted:

it's because st louis is beyond god's light.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
when Trump had those loved ones of people killed by undocumented immigrants up on stage with big photos of people they lost and he had autographed each one

Dio - Holy Diver

whattttttttttttttttttttttttt

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

HobbitGrease posted:

Dio - Holy Diver

whattttttttttttttttttttttttt

you know, because people dove off the world trade centre :rolleyes:

lol that someone even made this list, thinking “woah, falling for the first time? like those poor souls who fell from the world trade centre, also for the first time??? u r banned from our radio”

the rationale for these says a lot about human hysteria and stupidity

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“walk like an Egyptian”, you know, like the terrorists who attacked us :wtc:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

“walk like an Egyptian”, you know, like the terrorists who attacked us :wtc:

Well we hadn't decided where to invade get, gotta keep options open

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

I love that everyone has one or two songs listed except for ratm who just got their entire discography banned

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Gum posted:

I love that everyone has one or two songs listed except for ratm who just got their entire discography banned

I am imagining some young Paul Ryan looking motherfucker spending part of their internship at Clear Channel reading the entirety of RATM's lyrics in a vain attempt to find something not politically objectionable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Boots Riley posted:

There's been a whitewash in the media over the past couple days over what the U.S.'s role in the world is, and the fact that they kill hundreds of thousands of people per year to protect profit. Now how can I get to the point where I could be saying that on the world stage, and interrupt the lies that CBS, CNN, NBC, and everyone is saying? In my view, that [would be] by keeping the cover. Not because I think by looking at the cover you get all of this message that I'm telling you, but as a way to have a platform to interrupt the stream of lies that are being told right now.[11]

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The days and weeks immediately following 9/11 were weird enough over here in Germany, I can’t imagine how they must have been in the US. I’m imagining flags and awkwardly shoehorned-in patriotism (and xenophobia) everywhere, am I right?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich posted:

The days and weeks immediately following 9/11 were weird enough over here in Germany, I can’t imagine how they must have been in the US. I’m imagining flags and awkwardly shoehorned-in patriotism (and xenophobia) everywhere, am I right?

Yes but change the time period to months and years

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

System Metternich posted:

even as a 12 year old in Nebraska I found it deeply unsettling, though I had a hard time articulating why. that vague sense of revulsion towards the insane nationalism was one of the things that pushed me along to left radicalism, in the long term

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Remembering a funny post-9/11 commercial:

*shot of row of sleepy midwestern porch houses, birds chirping*

black title card: the terrorists tried to change america.

next card: they succeeded.

*next shot is same houses, all with giant american flags flapping softly in the breeze*

hooray, we're all jingoists now and that's great? wow, sure is better than being able to talk about how america does lovely things to the entire rest of the world, and has, since its inception, and should stop, before it gets attacked in retribution

for me it was as simple as knowing what kind of criminality the US supports overseas in the contras- and those are one of many examples of such bullshit. "history doesn't repeat itself but it certainly does rhyme"

I don't even remember what this was an ad for because it hit all the right oh, please buttons to make me switch channels immediately

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

the vertical line on george w bush;'s approval rating chart is some funny poo poo to me

also 12-year old me: why is the guy who stole the election less than a year ago suddenly good, its not like he was able to stop the attacks :nallears:

e: and this was loving thoughtcrime to the point you knew never to express this kind of sentiment out loud anywhere to anyone

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
my mom bought a big ol American flag a few days after 9/11 and when she got it from flags r us or whatever she said there was a big crowd there and she got the last big one and everyone was really mad

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember my dad on 9/11 telling me how we were gonna burn the middle east to the ground.

Some time afterward he was saying poo poo like "How long are these wars gonna go on for? Are you gonna get drafted?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I was doing student part time IT work at a major Danish insurance company and we had 2 minutes of silence in the cafeteria on 9/12.

I can only assume that some brass knew someone or had relations in the WTC because I've never experienced that before or since.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 09:36 on Jan 8, 2019

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
That's one big boy!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and yet we fingerwag leftists for not being swole enough

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

You shouldn't have to hide your hairline when you're that young.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

That's one big boy!

Absolute unit

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You shouldn't have to hide your hairline when you're that young.

It just struck me that the reason there are nazi skinheads is because being a nazi or reactionary makes your hairline recede, so you shave it off your head or wear a fedora to save face

Even insane old businessmen have that same receding hairline :thunk:

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
L to R starting with yellow shirt guy:
1) divide the number of PUA books by number of dates and you get a number greater than 1
2) has to leave soon to make fetal alcohol syndrome survivor support group
3) will loudly tell you liberals are the real fascists; wears Iron Cross in public
4) hello m'lady, my father is wilson fisk
5) divide the number of online games he plays by number of online games he's gotten banned from for using racial slurs = 1
6) absolutely has a fursona that's a nazi wolf
7) fash mclovin

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

blues fellow traveler

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

jeb! giving rubio the sword of chiang

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/u9KRmaZ.mp4

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Jan 8, 2019

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The months following 911 were the most surreal thing I've experienced. The local news had to warn people about jogging while wearing gas masks. My middle school had a detailed plan of how to respond to a chemical weapons attack. The national guard had troops stationed in the airports to make people feel "safe".

It's weird how little that period of hyper paranoia is discussed in mainstream culture. The only show I remember pointing out how absurd it all was is South Park.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tom Ridge telling people to wrap their houses in plastic & duct tape was a highlight

lol and the news reporting the color coded "terror threat level" every loving day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

lol and the news reporting the color coded "terror threat level" every loving day

holy gently caress I forgot about that

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

Tom Ridge telling people to wrap their houses in plastic & duct tape was a highlight

and it would always magically go to orange right before every election

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The months following 911 were the most surreal thing I've experienced. The local news had to warn people about jogging while wearing gas masks. My middle school had a detailed plan of how to respond to a chemical weapons attack. The national guard had troops stationed in the airports to make people feel "safe".

It's weird how little that period of hyper paranoia is discussed in mainstream culture. The only show I remember pointing out how absurd it all was is South Park.

My mostly white preppy high school would have Muslim students go from class to class and do a little speech thing just to let everyone know they weren't all violent extremists, I think the girl being really nice and widely liked helped a bit

I also distinctly remember hearing people, like full grown loving adults, talking about the chances of a terrorist attack happening here, like Al Qaeda would give a poo poo about attacking Sacramento lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
lol :thunk:

quote:

The threat level was never lowered to Low (Green) or Guarded (Blue).[26] It was recommended in a September 2009 Task Force report to remove the Low and Guarded conditions from the Alert System altogether and set Yellow (Elevated) to "Guarded" as the new baseline of the system, without changing the baseline conditions issued when under Yellow in the current system.

I remember people would roll their eyes and call me a conspiracy theorist when I'd say that the terror threat level thing was just a way to keep people scared and obedient.