Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

CRISPYBABY posted:

Realtalk tho, what's the best alternative? This thread reads every Trump tweet. Him babbling to an audience tends to be a newsworthy event, even when its nonsensical propaganda. What do you do? Have him on one side of the screen and analysts on the other? You can't even keep up with his lies and nonsense it comes at you so fast.

I like the laugh track idea.

24 News channels show it live, broadcast shows any important highlights during the 11 OClock news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol imagine thinking that Madonna is a relevant figure in pop culture in the year 2019.

The weird thing is that he was like "She's not Senator Barbie Doll, she's Senator Madonna" and for the life of me I can't figure out of Barbie was a positive or negative in his mind.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MSNBC and ABC haven't said if they are.

STAC Goat posted:

The weird thing is that he was like "She's not Senator Barbie Doll, she's Senator Madonna" and for the life of me I can't figure out of Barbie was a positive or negative in his mind.

Positive. If you want me to bust through the dog-whistles, its "She's not even a good woman who knows her place in the kitchen, she's a slut!"

Remember, it all comes down to judging a womans value by how much sex they are having with people who aren't you.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 8, 2019

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe, I mean sure Trump started at 4% and shot up, but his strategy (intentional or not) was "say a bunch of crazy racist poo poo that it turns out Republican voters have been dying to hear, thereby getting $1 billion worth of free media, also break with the GOP's unpopular positions of killing their old and rural white pieces of their coalition"

Nothing about Kamala Harris's politics or history indicates she's planning on saying anything surprising or unique that's going to shake things up and differentiate her from the pack, maybe she will, but if not just being black is not enough to win on Super Tuesday just ask Al Sharpton (and unlike her he actually did have the best and most radical ideas in 2004)

I think you're spot-on with Biden. Obviously having name recognition a year out isn't a slam-dunk (just ask Jeb Bush as you said) but not having it by now isn't a good sign either.

And it's not true that everyone else is polling badly, double-digits is respectable even if it's not first place.

My opinion is that there is a significant subsection of the Dem electorate who don't want Bernie Sanders, and that subsection is going to vote for someone, and it's not going to be Biden, so SOMEONE currently polling single digits is going to get a decent number of votes*. I don't disagree that Harris isn't exceptional, but neither are any of the others, really. Her lane and paths seems clearest of all other options, but that doesn't mean I think she's got it on lock, or anything. I just think OF the non-Bernie candidates, she has the best shot, but that's as much a comment on the others as it is on her.

*the alternative to this is the perpetual clowncar scenario where they're all getting slivers and no one's quitting in which case all hail President Sanders. But I think the Dems are much more likely to drop out/consolidate than the Republicans were.

Z. Autobahn fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Realtalk tho, what's the best alternative? This thread reads every Trump tweet. Him babbling to an audience tends to be a newsworthy event, even when its nonsensical propaganda. What do you do? Have him on one side of the screen and analysts on the other? You can't even keep up with his lies and nonsense it comes at you so fast.

I like the laugh track idea.

I'm largely of the unpopular opinion that covering the President is a necessary evil but in this case I think the networks should have refused and left it to the news channels. Unless POTUS could guarantee it was a genuine matter of national importance I don't like that they're giving him a platform for partisan rhetoric. But devil's advocate is that he and the White House will insist its of national importance and then you get down to partisan opinions of whether he's lying or not so I dunno.

In the end it doesn't really make a difference. He was gonna get heard and televised anyway and anyone who doesn't want to care won't.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 8, 2019

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

Koalas Massacre posted:

Also y'all are getting just as gross about AOC but in the other direction. Stan culture is loving toxic.

It's so true but I don't see any chance of change - hell this thread stans out about you super hard most of the time.

A lot of the D&D crowd pretty much clap their hands and honk a little horn with their nose every time they see a picture of a woman, I remember so much cringey BS about Bristol Palin when they would show her during the debates in 2008.

And you stan for Shonda Rhimes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Fulchrum posted:

MSNBC and ABC haven't said if they are.
ABC is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pull up thread

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Idahoant posted:

It's so true but I don't see any chance of change - hell this thread stans out about you super hard most of the time.

A lot of the D&D crowd pretty much clap their hands and honk a little horn with their nose every time they see a picture of a woman, I remember so much cringey BS about Bristol Palin when they would show her during the debates in 2008.

And you stan for Shonda Rhimes.

hwhat.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

No, but that guy is, anyone who argues that women of color have a responsibility to uphold the double standard that men swearing are tough and strong but women swearing are uncouth harridans is a racist and a sexist by definition, and I'm not about to forget about that when he comes in with his next complaint about women of color in politics.
Except no one argued that, you're just strawmanning racism and sexism into this because you know your argument is weak. See, Priapus Unbound is being generous by saying you're misreading his posts, but I'm happy to go one step further and call you a liar.

VitalSigns posted:

Like you're smarter than this, I know you know that there's a difference between "he vaguely disagrees in some way" and "he makes sexist comments"
Yes, but you aren't, and you're also being dishonest.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Well let's be fair, the broadcast networks have to show the speech, right? I mean he's going to announce that we're in a state of national emergency because of the incident at the Reichst......oh, wait *checks notes* because of the destitute refugees fleeing violence in the home countries which we hosed up claiming asylum so they don't die. Covering it is in the national interest for the Dear Leader, but also all of us!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I rarely clap and whoop aloud at a tweet but this nails it
https://twitter.com/Randazzoj/status/1082006370751152128?s=09

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess in the end my feeling on "should the networks show Trump" is "No, but its not like preempting network tv means all that much in 2019."

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
They could make it into a game show since dipshit used to host one. The program continues until he tells his first lie and then is cut off. The contestant closest to the correct time wins. Wayne Brady hands out some classy prizes.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

VH4Ever posted:

Well let's be fair, the broadcast networks have to show the speech, right? I mean he's going to announce that we're in a state of national emergency because of the incident at the Reichst......oh, wait *checks notes* because of the destitute refugees fleeing violence in the home countries which we hosed up claiming asylum so they don't die. Covering it is in the national interest for the Dear Leader, but also all of us!

I'm not sure if you're being facetious about having to carry the speech specifically, but the networks don't "have to" in a legal sense. They are not compelled to carry the speech.

You're absolutely right that, by virtue of being President, basically anything Trump says is newsworthy enough that good journalistic outlets probably should cover it. But there's a question of how they ought to cover it.

I saw a suggestion that they might broadcast the speech, but do so on a a ~10 minute delay so they can offer live graphics or other rebuttals to blatant lies. If I were making these decisions, I'd cover it but not do so live - perhaps even doing so on several hours delay so as to be able to give context and analysis.

Of course, the networks will cover it live and Trump's disinformation / propaganda blitz on the people of the United States will be allowed to continue with minimal pushback from corporate America. Rocking the boat is bad for profits.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 8, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You show some filler segment and get an intern to watch Trump speak. If he says anything important, change the topic to that.

But they're collaborators.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The odds Trump helps himself with the speech are... low.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A 10 minute speech? Are we declaring war or something? 10 minutes isn’t enough time to pursued anyone of anything other than maybe we should order an appetizer.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1082357030717931522

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lmao he tried it

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/07/mike-pence-trump-border-wall-national-emergency

More of the same uncertainty stuff. Really curious about the address if the state of emergency thing is indeed not certain to happen.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

sean10mm posted:

That's kind of my feeling too. I half expect him to claim credit for the shutdown (again) or add yet another demand on top of things.

Still shouldn't preempt normal programming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sean10mm posted:

"Today was the day Donald Trump finally became President..."

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Shifty Pony posted:

Might I suggest foster John's kitten cam? No ads and they have a very good crop of tuxedo and cowcats right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efH-53Wx73Q

Amazing :). You guys are saving my sanity!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ague Proof posted:

You have to cut a few minutes as Trump is always deliberately late.

It'll never happen, but I enjoy the idea of the networks telling Trump "okay, you get 9:00 to 9:08. At 9:09:00 we switch back to Big Bang Theory." and letting him get the end of his own dumb speech cut off because he thought it was a power move to show up late.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Except no one argued that, you're just strawmanning racism and sexism into this because you know your argument is weak. See, Priapus Unbound is being generous by saying you're misreading his posts, but I'm happy to go one step further and call you a liar.

Yes, but you aren't, and you're also being dishonest.

You don't have to take my word for it, you can click the '?' under his avatar and see him handwaving away crude behavior from male politicians while clutching his pearls about a woman saying a swear here ya go, keep on whiteknighting the dishonest cowardly misogynist, die on that hill man.

I promise if you want to "own" me I will post something stupid eventually and you can pounce, defending this guy who bailed on his own lovely arguments is the dumbest stand

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 8, 2019

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016
Isn't anyone else posting ITT bored with Trump? I've been bored with him for nearly a year. So I'm guessing we have a year or two before the rest of America gets bored with it?

Who cares what he says? He says tons of poo poo and nothing happens unless Republicans let him. Republicans, from the rank and file voter to the backroom power brokers, are the problem. Stomp out the party forever wherever you find it. When it can never win a national election again I might be entertained by debates and discussions once more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

A 10 minute speech? Are we declaring war or something? 10 minutes isn’t enough time to pursued anyone of anything other than maybe we should order an appetizer.

it means he will probably either A: national emergency or B: close the border.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Themagicalgoat posted:

Isn't anyone else posting ITT bored with Trump? I've been bored with him for nearly a year. So I'm guessing we have a year or two before the rest of America gets bored with it?

God yes. It sometimes feels like a fad that just refuses to go away, like a fidget spinner became the center of our society. we been talking about Trump the politician since 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Themagicalgoat posted:

Who cares what he says? He says tons of poo poo and nothing happens unless Republicans let him. Republicans, from the rank and file voter to the backroom power brokers, are the problem. Stomp out the party forever wherever you find it. When it can never win a national election again I might be entertained by debates and discussions once more.

I hit this point back in the 2016 primaries. The only time I pay attention anymore is to unmute my tv for a second to see if he is shouting over a helicopter engine when he is ranting to reporters.

He usually is.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Z. Autobahn posted:

It's not just California that helps Harris, it's the triple whammy of Super Tuesday hits just 4 weeks in (as opposed to 5 in 2008), California, and that this Super Tuesday has most of the Southern states where Harris is likely to perform best. Assuming that Harris does well in Cali + South (which is the entire gamble of her campaign), it's very likely to push her into a strong frontrunner position. Winning lots of delegates early absolutely does matter because primaries have a snowball effect and winning big early is one of the best ways to secure your spot.

I mean, the "if" above is carrying a lot of weight, be1cause Harris' strategy might well flop. But she's definitely got the clearest path to an early frontrunner designation.
Also voting in Cali and Texas begins early as Iowa, which helps those who can run national campaigns from the beginning like Harris and Beto.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

You don't have to take my word for it, you can click the '?' under his avatar and see him handwaving away crude behavior from male politicians while clutching his pearls about a woman saying a swear here ya go, keep on whiteknighting the dishonest cowardly misogynist, die on that hill man.
Unlike you, I actually did read his posts before commenting, and you are straight up lying by accusing him of being sexist and/or racist. I actually don't really agree with his point in its entirety, the difference between you and me is that I am capable of doing that without fraudulently claiming he is a racist, sexist, somethingsomething, and you are not. If you want to lie and slander him rather than actually engaging with his argument please take it to tumblr. Thanks!

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I rarely clap and whoop aloud at a tweet but this nails it
https://twitter.com/Randazzoj/status/1082006370751152128?s=09

The replies are comedy gold.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I'm not sure if you're being facetious about having to carry the speech specifically, but the networks don't "have to" in a legal sense. They are not compelled to carry the speech.

You're absolutely right that, by virtue of being President, basically anything Trump says is newsworthy enough that good journalistic outlets probably should cover it. But there's a question of how they ought to cover it.

I saw a suggestion that they might broadcast the speech, but do so on a a ~10 minute delay so they can offer live graphics or other rebuttals to blatant lies. If I were making these decisions, I'd cover it but not do so live - perhaps even doing so on several hours delay so as to be able to give context and analysis.

Of course, the networks will cover it live and Trump's disinformation / propaganda blitz on the people of the United States will be allowed to continue with minimal pushback from corporate America. Rocking the boat is bad for profits.

The uh....whole thing was pretty facetious actually....uh, the tip was that I was cheering on carrying the speech using Nazi and North Korean superlatives but...you know what, nevermind.

Heil Trump.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like "I'm bored of Trump" and "I might be entertained again if" speaks to a problem deeper in how one engages with politics.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Themagicalgoat posted:

Of course we're bored with Trump. He is a fundamentally boring person. He's also the head of the executive branch of our government and his death cult wants to gently caress America up forever, so we have to pay attention anyway.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like "I'm bored of Trump" and "I might be entertained again if" speaks to a problem deeper in how one engages with politics.

It is a symptom of how the media has taught us to engage with politics, really. We need twists to stay engaged, with the issue being that every twist is of the metaphorical knife in the ribs of immigrants.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Themagicalgoat posted:

He's also a part of that group. Saying you're bored with him is a real bad, privileged look.

There has been plenty of poo poo he's said and/or done that the GOP, and the rest of us, wishes he hadn't. I'm not saying the GOP is blameless, they certainly aren't, they just aren't fully in control of this idiot as you seem to think they are.

I'm 100% with you in stamping out the GOP though.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

RandomBlue posted:

He's also a part of that group. Saying you're bored with him is a real bad, privileged look.

There has been plenty of poo poo he's said and/or done that the GOP, and the rest of us, wishes he hadn't. I'm not saying the GOP is blameless, they certainly aren't, they just aren't fully in control of this idiot as you seem to think they are.

I'm 100% with you in stamping out the GOP though.

Maybe they shouldn't have let him be their nominee.

:shrug:

Republicans are worse than bystanders, they are enablers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Unlike you, I actually did read his posts before commenting, and you are straight up lying by accusing him of being sexist and/or racist. I actually don't really agree with his point in its entirety, the difference between you and me is that I am capable of doing that without fraudulently claiming he is a racist, sexist, somethingsomething, and you are not. If you want to lie and slander him rather than actually engaging with his argument please take it to tumblr. Thanks!

You obviously didn't.

He claimed you can't have a political career if you say a swear. I posted proof of President Obama swearing and he magically flipped to "uh it's okay if you're already President". I posted proof of Obama swearing before he was President and "oops bored now gotta go bye".

I didn't call him a sexist because I couldn't defend my position. I shredded his argument and exposed it for the sexist drivel it was. If you want to whine more that I'm too mean to a lovely misogynist idiot, send me a PM, otherwise quit making this thread about me because I made ya mad.