Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Augus posted:

if only we all could be so lucky to have a fanclub that seek out threads to drop into and stan for our terrible posts

This post is great because it's clear you think it's uncool to stand up for posters you like. Like you're all cool and no caps posting like it's the raddest thing in the world, where what you're doing is backing a forum moderator banning someone for a month. Yeah dude real rad. Me standing up for the poster? That's dumb and not cool, it's "stanning" (lmao. You dickhead).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Amethyst posted:

what you're doing is backing a forum moderator banning someone for a month

The horror.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It's not horrifying. it is incredibly loving lame though, and the fact that he thinks it's cool is really funny.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amethyst posted:

This post is great because it's clear you think it's uncool to stand up for posters you like. Like you're all cool and no caps posting like it's the raddest thing in the world, where what you're doing is backing a forum moderator banning someone for a month. Yeah dude real rad. Me standing up for the poster? That's dumb and not cool, it's "stanning" (lmao. You dickhead).

yeah it's really weird

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Spider-Man is the best and I love him and this movie also loves him and is the best and I love this movie and it loves me. :)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Four year old child watching this thread: Whoa, look at BotL go! He's shitposting like crazy! Oh man he got the big three oh!!
Internet weirdo looking on: Pfft, he didn't earn that

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Amethyst posted:

It's not horrifying. it is incredibly loving lame though, and the fact that he thinks it's cool is really funny.

Shut the gently caress up.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Stop letting the BotL re-reg poo poo up the thread with racism. Put him on ignore, let everyone know, and keep talking about how loving cool this movie is.

Edit: Content

https://twitter.com/skeletoon/status/1081560093378789379

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 8, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Amethyst posted:

This is pure conjecture. Apparently this counts as constructive though, and not talking about the text.
Ah yes, the finer points, how kickass the characters are.

Sarcasm aside, my point (since you’re either being disingenuous or thick) is that having non white (and none male and non binary) heroes is important, and a fair representation of people who don’t look like Chris Evans is long overdue. That’s (one of) the reasons why black panther was so universally loved, as is this film, and Get Out, Representation does matter, and you only need to look at black film twitter (or black twitter in general) to see why. The earlier example in this thread of the 4 year old is a perfect example of this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Stop letting the BotL re-reg poo poo up the thread with racism. Put him on ignore, let everyone know, and keep talking about how loving cool this movie is.

I think it’s fascinating that Prowler (distinct from Aaron) is a character who’s basically, like, 70% sound design. Visually, he’s not all that imposing at all; gangling of limb, goofy cape, ill-fitting mask. With the addition of a single sound, though, he goes from being laughable to utterly terrifying. There’s something primal and disturbing about that noise, and it’s great how effective it is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say there's also something about the way he moves that turns a design that doesn't appear that intimidating into something terrifying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

I'd say there's also something about the way he moves that turns a design that doesn't appear that intimidating into something terrifying.

The way he moves is basically Batman (dramatic leaps/broody perching) with a bit of Wolverine (or maybe anime) thrown in (running hunched over with his claws extended). I don’t think that would have worked alone, though, since you’ve still got his character design actively working against you there.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

https://twitter.com/Bakestain/status/1080139252439154695

this is so cool

edit:

and it's canon:

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1079878119761227776

hiddenriverninja fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 8, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's a nice short.
Good use of comedy with the mirror, too.

Also, super dorky, but apparently making an Original Arachnid Character Do Not Steal (AKA Spidersona) on Twitter is a thing since the movie came out??

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

That's a nice short.
Good use of comedy with the mirror, too.

Also, super dorky, but apparently making an Original Arachnid Character Do Not Steal (AKA Spidersona) on Twitter is a thing since the movie came out??

It's something that was explicitly pushed on social media as an extension of the movie's "anyone can wear the mask" through line. It's not my thing but making fan characters is the way that some people engage media and both them and the people who made the movie seem to be enjoying it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/spidersona

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
:D

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

let me tell you why this 4 yr old kid like a cartoon for children. i assure you my explanation is the only correct one.

\/\/\/ edit its funny that you think literally any dissenting view is an attack on black people and not simply an attack on your lovely opinion

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 8, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
oh my god some people hate black people so much :psyduck:

jesus christ didn't you see we've already got tfr??

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Pick posted:

Does that person actually hate black people? Or do you just enjoy calling people racist? Honestly.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

drat hosed up that aunt may is QAnon

Also I never expected this of all threads to go from zero to massive disproportionate drama in 25 pages

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This film was truly marvelous and I had such a great time in the cinema! I have been on a spree of enjoying myself in cinemas lately but this knocked it out of the park.

It is always a pleasure to see inventive use of colours, angles and screenshots and a comic book movie is the perfect playground for such a thing. I think this is why the Lego Batman movie and this movie work so much better than their live action counterparts. The freedom to be more involved in blurring the lines between the page and the screen is much easier to do when you have a multimillion dollar storyboard consisting of 'actors/actresses' you have complete control over.

It was funny and sad and horrifying and all around a wonderfully told and executed tale. This is my favourite version of any animated Spider-man and I put it right alongside Homecoming as my favourite live action Spider-man. Moore's Miles and Holland's Peter are both my favourite interpretations of their respective Spider-men and I wish for more from both! :D

Also I really hope this wins the Oscar for best animated picture!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I Before E posted:

drat hosed up that aunt may is QAnon

Also I never expected this of all threads to go from zero to massive disproportionate drama in 25 pages

It's because one guy is weird and miserable about popular culture and enterainment and he has a legion of hangers on who swarm in whenever he is locked away in back in his ivory tower to continue in his place.

Just put em all on ignore and move on.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Hungry enough for content that I watched a McDonalds ad just because it had some original animation in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAGEEAAVe44

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Let's calm down with calling people racist so quickly. It makes it harder to find the actual racist posts, which I take seriously.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sony was really keen to do an "Aunt May, Super Spy" prequel/spinoff from the Amazing Spider-Man films a few years ago so maybe they'll do a Spider-Verse prequel now instead

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Sony was really keen to do an "Aunt May, Super Spy" prequel/spinoff from the Amazing Spider-Man films a few years ago so maybe they'll do a Spider-Verse prequel now instead

It's crazy how not even like two years ago Sony's Spider-Man movie concepts were still a laughingstock and now they dropped the best Spider-Man movie PERIOD by orders of magnitude and one of the best comic book movies ever made.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

It's crazy how not even like two years ago Sony's Spider-Man movie concepts were still a laughingstock and now they dropped the best Spider-Man movie PERIOD by orders of magnitude and one of the best comic book movies ever made.

They’ve produced two of the best Spider-Man films within a span of a year and a half...and one inexplicably but undeniably popular Venom film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venom's a lot like Ghost Rider where it's mostly carried by the lead being a good hammy actor with cool powers and good effects.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I enjoyed the movie a lot as well, but I'd like to pick up a discussion again that was already in the thread before (I read it all, bad and good). It's about Prowler's motivations. I thought the movie was doing Aaron a bit of a disservice by leaving it completely open as to why he turned to crime. I get that "pays well" is good enough motivation for many people, and when I was talking about it with my wife after watching it she also said that it made perfect sense for her in that way. After thinking about it a little, I also noticed that he probably could only afford his nice apartment because of the Prowler stint. But it still left me wanting more; Aaron seemed to be stuck in an unfortunate place between mentor/father figure For Whom Things End Badly, and Henchman, Who Cares About Him As A Person.

To contrast within the movie itself, Doc Ock is not given a motivation either, but that doesn't bother me for two reasons:
- she is a bit of a cipher in that she's a scientist that doesn't care about ethics, only about her awesome research, which you've seen a billion times before and you don't really need her giving a speech about how those RULES are RESTRICTING her GENIUS, and additionally she's a version of an established character so she's probably gonna have a similar backstory anyway.
- she is never portrayed as sympathetic and/or personally important to the characters, so her going "um...I'm evil actually" isn't much of a gutpunch to anyone and not meant as more of a "betcha didn't see this one coming!" twist.

Aaron however is NOT a cipher, because the mentor who is secretly evil doesn't apply really, as he is working for the bad guys in a way that's totally unrelated to him being a mentor to Miles; he never ever brings up anything Prowler- or Fisk-related to him, like trying to corrupt him or whatever, which is good, but makes the conflict between his "good guy who's a positive influence" and "brutal enforcer who enjoys his job and follows the bad guy's orders" sides much more jarring. I was basically trying to remember any sign that he might have some demons hidden from his dialogue and came up blank. Even something as simple like him going "sometimes you have to take dirty jobs to make a living" when he and Miles were going down into the subway tunnels would have satisfied me.

Even when he died in Miles' arms, he didn't get any resolution or explanation, and that irked me. It seemed he could have been more layered by not leaving it completely open. I know that last time this argument was brought up, people kept shooting it down with "this is how you get ten-minute flashback scenes" but that's really not what I'm asking for at all - I think that if the Occam's razor explanation is "he did it for the money" and I'm supposed to be satisfied with that, it's a worse reason than something like the social pressure forcing him to, or Fisk giving him a chance when not even his own brother would, or whatever. Yeah, I can make that up myself, but I honestly don't want to - it feels like I'm writing fanfiction in my head for a character that IS already plenty complex and really shouldn't need it, but there's this one piece of info missing.

To bring it back to Liv again, I love how there's implied history/rivalry/maybe even romance with Aunt May just from a single word uttered by the latter, you can read so much into that, it's still open for interpretation, it's not a ten-minute flashback, but it's there, and Aaron doesn't get anything like it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

To quote Zangief from Wreck-It Ralph: Just because you are a bad guy, doesn't mean you're a bad guy.

I don't see a dichtomy, at all. He's a chill, easy-going dude who earned his money as a hyper-competent enforcer. He doesn't have to tell Miles about doing dirty jobs to fit that role. In fact, it would make him a worse uncle, because his entire non-Prowler scene is him seeing that Miles is stressed out and helping him find a release. What good would it do to stop all that to say "sometimes you gotta do dirty jobs, kid."

Also, said release involves trespassing and defacing property, so it's not like Uncle Aaron is a goody two-shoes either. He's explicitly on the outs with the policeman father to boot.

The film shows us that Uncle Aaron is a guy who cares about his family and a guy who doesn't really care about the law.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Miles is caught in between his dad and his uncle. his dad represents a rigid rule-based way of life while his uncle represents a laid-back life of freedom. Neither of them are exactly right for Miles.

It seems like Aaron got stuck doing a dirty job in order to get by. I don’t think the specifics are important, what’s important is what he represents to his family. Aaron helps nurture Miles’s creativity but also helps him put things off. To Miles his death is a cautionary tale of what could happen if he keeps on running away from his problems.

Jefferson’s rigid way of thinking pushes Miles to do the right thing, but it also makes him emotionally distant in a way that alienates his family and makes Miles feel stifled. He doesn’t approve of his brother’s lifestyle so he distances himself from him. Then the next time he sees him he’s dead in an alleyway, dressed like a supervillain. To Jefferson, this represents the consequence of letting your family slip away from you. It’s what pushes him to open up to Miles and encourage him to be himself.

The important thing here is accepting your failures and making things right by being a better person. Aaron takes a bullet to save his nephew and tells him he can be better than his uncle. Jefferson changes to be less of an unapproachable authority figure. Meanwhile, Kingpin’s plan is to try and undo the consequences of his mistakes without actually becoming a better person. In doing so, he guarantees that his family’s tragedy will always repeat itself. There is no universe he can go to where he can hide who he is forever.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ConfusedUs posted:

To quote Zangief from Wreck-It Ralph: Just because you are a bad guy, doesn't mean you're a bad guy.

I don't see a dichtomy, at all. He's a chill, easy-going dude who earned his money as a hyper-competent enforcer. He doesn't have to tell Miles about doing dirty jobs to fit that role. In fact, it would make him a worse uncle, because his entire non-Prowler scene is him seeing that Miles is stressed out and helping him find a release. What good would it do to stop all that to say "sometimes you gotta do dirty jobs, kid."

Also, said release involves trespassing and defacing property, so it's not like Uncle Aaron is a goody two-shoes either. He's explicitly on the outs with the policeman father to boot.

The film shows us that Uncle Aaron is a guy who cares about his family and a guy who doesn't really care about the law.

Agreed. If the movie's big message is Anyone Can Wear The Mask then Aaron works to show that it goes both ways. Anyone Can Be The Prowler doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

My biggest issue is that I can't quite reconcile the two. I'd love to have a reason or even a hint at a reason why someone who's such a good person in, well, person, is such a bad guy in costume. Trespassing and defacing property are against the law, but tbqh I really don't see the issue with them doing art in an abandoned subway tunnel, like that barely registers as criminal for me. And it's painted as such a positive, healthy thing for Miles as well, no hint of "uuh but what if they CATCH us? What if DAD finds out?". Just doesn't gel with "Aaron mercilessly hunts down who is obviously a young kid with a motorcycle, later strangles and almost kills him".

Augus posted:

Miles is caught in between his dad and his uncle. his dad represents a rigid rule-based way of life while his uncle represents a laid-back life of freedom. Neither of them are exactly right for Miles.

Guy Mann posted:

Agreed. If the movie's big message is Anyone Can Wear The Mask then Aaron works to show that it goes both ways. Anyone Can Be The Prowler doesn't have quite the same ring to it though.
The issue I have with both of your viewpoints is (abbreviated for Augus, sorry, but the "represents" in your sentence is already enough to point at what I mean) is that you talk about Aaron as a plot device. And I agree, it works just fine there, I have no issue with that. He fits very well into the story and bringing its themes across. But while watching the movie, I started wondering about Aaron as a person, and why he, as a character with a complex personality, would make the choices he did and what his motivations are and so on. And there's something lacking there, my curiosity is just not sated. I'd have loved if the movie had given him juuust a little bit more time to "explain himself", basically, to make his voice heard more.

Overall, I think it's a huge compliment to the movie that it made me care about one of its characters so much! It's just a tiny thing too, but it irks me enough to speak up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Simply Simon posted:

The issue I have with both of your viewpoints is (abbreviated for Augus, sorry, but the "represents" in your sentence is already enough to point at what I mean) is that you talk about Aaron as a plot device.
That's actually a good catch. The closest we get to understanding his POV is the line in the (subway?) where he reminisces about doing similar things with Miles' dad before he went all Law and Order.

It's a There But For the Grace of God moment, but you're right in that it serves plot more than characterization.

As for his dual life... well, even Dick Cheney gets to have Thanksgiving dinner with his family.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

I'd love to have a reason or even a hint at a reason why someone who's such a good person in, well, person, is such a bad guy in costume.

This kind of moral disconnection from a job isn't that unusual. Look at the Predator drone operators who clock off from exploding weddings to go home and hang out with their families.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

This kind of moral disconnection from a job isn't that unusual. Look at the Predator drone operators who clock off from exploding weddings to go home and hang out with their families.
You can't tell me he isn't having the time of his life as Prowler. There is something here as well, that he's getting into it TOO much maybe, but he's for sure not jus' followin' orders, cap'n.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/NickTyson/status/1083023477127278593

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Guy Mann posted:

It's something that was explicitly pushed on social media as an extension of the movie's "anyone can wear the mask" through line. It's not my thing but making fan characters is the way that some people engage media and both them and the people who made the movie seem to be enjoying it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/spidersona

It’s super cute. Mine would be a universe where he caught the robber, and stayed a wrestler. All the villains become wrestlers too.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Simply Simon posted:

You can't tell me he isn't having the time of his life as Prowler. There is something here as well, that he's getting into it TOO much maybe, but he's for sure not jus' followin' orders, cap'n.

You've got a super suit, near Spider-person levels of agility, a cool rear end motorcycle, and a really flexible set of morals... Prowler isn't some tortured soul in a bad spot, he's the "mirror darkly" of the super hero secret identity. The heroes are a bunch of adrenaline junkies, it seems pretty natural that at least some of the villains would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Other than the sound, my favorite part of Prowler's "feel" was his animation and movement style. He'd go from stock still to full speed and back in an instant. You always got the sense that he was pouncing. That economy of movement made him scarier!