Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Expanse is TVIV's third favourite show of 2018 :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems about right.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Rarity posted:

The Expanse is TVIV's third favourite show of 2018 :psyduck:

It's a good show, Bront.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the best show of the year

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would prob put it around 3 or 4 on my list too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

esperterra posted:

I would prob put it around 3 or 4 on my list too.

What list? You never made one :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
esperterra I am so disappointed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Expanse is very solid and has a pretty high crossover appeal

Like you and I know Patriot and Sharp Objects were the best shows of the year but at the same time, I know very few people will share that opinion bc both those shows appeal to fairly narrow tastes imo

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But the Expanse doesn't?

I'm not knocking the show. It just doesn't strike me as "crossover appeal."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a lot of mainstream press about The Expanse when it was cancelled and uncancelled. Nobody cares about Patriot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I agree The Patriot is more obscure than Expanse. But the Expanse seems kind of niche.

Maybe that's just me projecting because it felt too niche for me. I don't read any entertainment news or anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1TEme1doRA

I didn't watch the Golden Globes but this seems like one of the only redeeming moments of the whole thing. Hell yeah Andy Samberg.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The Expanse crushes rear end to dust.

I don't think I watched ten shows worthy of voting on in 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did Patriot get canceled or no word yet?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Patriot is awesome but also deliberately "weird" for lack of a better word. Maybe, "cerebral"?

Expanse may be sci-fi but it's pretty straightforward story- and character-wise.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It's not really any different than the Ducktales reboot playing down Scrooge's wealth in favor of him being an adventurer because who the gently caress wants to root for a billionaire these days. Teaching kids that cops are heroes and their friends is about the worst message any piece of media aimed at educating kids these days can have, especially when Carmen herself was the most iconic and interesting part of the entire property and everything with ACME Detective Agency was riffing on a generation of crime media meant for the parents of the parents whose kids are watching the new show.

So then why dont we then create shows about policemen that dont shoot miniorities or whatever instead of tossing out the entire concept of police all together?

I mean, i consider myself to be fairly left wing but I dont see why now the very concept of police is now under attack. Havent you guys ever been mugged?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Laterite posted:

Patriot is awesome but also deliberately "weird" for lack of a better word. Maybe, "cerebral"?

Expanse may be sci-fi but it's pretty straightforward story- and character-wise.

Overly indulgent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Overly indulgent isn't an inherently bad thing, though. I'd call the best works of people like The Coens or Sam Esmail as overly indulgent.

As long as what they're indulging in is good, go nuts, I say. And man what Patriot dips into is so good and has so much heart.

Double great. Best friends.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

A very good joke.

Whoever is behind this is my new favorite person.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

What list? You never made one :colbert:

I know and I should but I missed the cutoff!! Sad!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

1. The Americans
2. (tied with 1 tbqh) Sharp Objects
3. Maisel
4. probably The Expanse

And for anything else I need to see what was out this year lmfao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

3 of the spots on my list would prob be the 3 Drag Race seasons Ru blessed me with this year

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

muscles like this! posted:

A very good joke.

You have to be a big Good Place fan to get this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess I've won the YouTube recommendation algorithm game because I just opened up YouTube, went to the recommended section and easily found like an hour's worth of interesting-looking videos at the top to watch when I go out to get food in a little while.

(Yes, I watch YouTube videos through my headphones when I go out to eat sometimes because I have no friends. YouTube is my only friend. All hail YouTube :shepicide: )

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Lycus posted:

You have to be a big Good Place fan to get this.

idgi :ohdear:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jameela Jamil is the name of the actress, who plays Tahani on The Good Place. Kamilah Al-Jamil is the name of Tahani's fictional sister on the show.

So either someone went for the most meta of all deep cuts, or some intern got shitcanned this morning.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Timby posted:

Jameela Jamil is the name of the actress, who plays Tahani on The Good Place. Kamilah Al-Jamil is the name of Tahani's fictional sister on the show.

So either someone went for the most meta of all deep cuts, or some intern got shitcanned this morning.

And further to the joke, the defining aspect of Tahani and Kamilah's relationship is that Kamilah constantly upstages Tahani. So the chyron writer didn't call Jamil by her character name. She called her by the character name who is constantly upstaging her character.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Adding to the pile-on:
https://twitter.com/brookswheelan/status/1082431308679135232

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

https://twitter.com/jameelajamil/status/1082125125808316416?s=19

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

precision posted:

Black Monday is REALLY loving good

we do NOT have sex with eachother

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Edit: Whoops. People were just talking about this a page ago.

Still, super psyched for more Future Man.

Here's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meAKAcYGLog

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 8, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The R Kelly doc is just such garbage in terms of production, it’s like... what people are saying about him is bad enough, you don’t need to go through the Demonizing 101 textbook to layer on artificial effects on old photos. We get it, dude’s a monster. I don’t need After Effects to tell me that.

Should’ve been on ESPN.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Black Monday is REALLY loving good

I can,t believe Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg just own "New York Minute" now

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EL BROMANCE posted:

The R Kelly doc is just such garbage in terms of production, it’s like... what people are saying about him is bad enough, you don’t need to go through the Demonizing 101 textbook to layer on artificial effects on old photos. We get it, dude’s a monster. I don’t need After Effects to tell me that.

Should’ve been on ESPN.
What the gently caress man lol

It's excellent and powerful as hell

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It can be excellent and powerful, as well as have questionable editing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

esperterra posted:

It can be excellent and powerful, as well as have questionable editing.
Yeah I suppose, I just watched all 6 hours of it and the editing never bothered me once. I was too engrossed in the horrific poo poo being discussed :shrug:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just rewatched Chappelle's bit "How Old is 15?" and at first I thought it was outdated, being from 03 or 04. But man, by the end I realized how god drat genius he is in his joke telling. Like I knew it before, but this just reinforced it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Late but the Expanse is top tier sci fi.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So fuckin salted Adams didn't win the Globe smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

swickles posted:

I just rewatched Chappelle's bit "How Old is 15?" and at first I thought it was outdated, being from 03 or 04. But man, by the end I realized how god drat genius he is in his joke telling. Like I knew it before, but this just reinforced it.

Yeah, at the beginning you're kind of :stonklol: but by the end you hear the :airquote: punchline :airquote: and are like :bravo:!

Rhyno posted:

Late but the Expanse is top tier sci fi.

:peanut: