Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Falcorum posted:

If it's any comfort, it happens elsewhere and even with regular non C level coworkers being the source of that dumb poo poo.
I work at an AAA games company (yayyyyyyyy) and had a department lead (not my department) try to get higher ups to force me to work overtime (they just went uwot when asked), because we had been working on something for months and he kept going back and forth on what he wanted and suddenly we were a few days away from release. He only shut up and stopped with that crap when I told everyone involved that if I were to do overtime for that piece of poo poo of a person, I'd quit the next day.

I no longer work with that guy directly (HR got involved in the end and told him to gently caress off), but it sounds similar to your situation (demeaning work done; implying not pulling my own weight; etc).

People can be cunts and if it reaches a point where it's stressing you out, you're better off jumping ship if you can. You don't owe your employer anything more than the work you've already done.

that sounds like a lovely situation and im glad it also sounds like you were able to defend yourself appropriately

jfc as much as id like to work on a aaa game everything i hear from the industry makes it sound like it would drive me toward suicide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
unless you're working contract and being paid for every hour or you get time in lieu, don't work OT

and even then, reconsider

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Cold on a Cob posted:

unless you're working contract and being paid for every hour or you get time in lieu, don't work OT

and even then, reconsider

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
uh, you should be getting paid at least time-and-a-half before you even think about doing OT

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wow cmake is barbaric

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

eschaton there is no reasonable way to get vim-mode in my xcode. i hold you personally responsible, as an emacs fan you should appreciate the importance of extensibility.

it took me a couple months but i don't really miss it too much anymore

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

wow cmake is barbaric

they did it, they made something even worse than loving makefiles, it's unbelievable

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

wow cmake is barbaric

To me the biggest problem with cmake is the general lack of introductory documentation. This site really helped me get started so I could understand what I was doing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

VikingofRock posted:

To me the biggest problem with cmake is the general lack of introductory documentation. This site really helped me get started so I could understand what I was doing

thanks this is helpful.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
terrible architecture question: what's a good architecture for when you have an ever-changing database of tasks and a fleet of low spec (preferably no storage) task runners and you want the task runners to automatically acquire tasks and continuously report results? is there a name for such architecture?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

eschaton there is no reasonable way to get vim-mode in my xcode. i hold you personally responsible, as an emacs fan you should appreciate the importance of extensibility.

nah, Xcode’s source editor works great, like an enhanced version of the Cocoa text system

if you really want to pretend you’re using a cheap surplus terminal in the 1970s that’s so rubbish it doesn’t even have arrow keys, just use vi itself, don’t try to twist things into acting like it

(I’ve sometimes wondered what the outrage would be like if we implemented vi compatibility and explicitly not vim compatibility)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

terrible architecture question: what's a good architecture for when you have an ever-changing database of tasks and a fleet of low spec (preferably no storage) task runners and you want the task runners to automatically acquire tasks and continuously report results? is there a name for such architecture?

bus or queue?

expect someone to repost the “you don’t really want a queue do you” rant explainer

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

eschaton posted:

bus or queue?

expect someone to repost the “you don’t really want a queue do you” rant explainer

do buses or queues require the task runner to consume the published task? i want tasks to be available indefinitely but *access* to tasks to be exclusive to whichever runner acquired it (until the runner dies)

realistic example: i may have a task "download the frontpage and verify http 200 every hour" that should only be done by one runner. i don't want the runner to delete the task from the database, just acquire it. i also want the task to become available if the runner dies.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

eschaton posted:

bus or queue?

somewhere, tef just flinched

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

do buses or queues require the task runner to consume the published task? i want tasks to be available indefinitely but *access* to tasks to be exclusive to whichever runner acquired it (until the runner dies)

realistic example: i may have a task "download the frontpage and verify http 200 every hour" that should only be done by one runner. i don't want the runner to delete the task from the database, just acquire it. i also want the task to become available if the runner dies.

my gut is this is needs a scheduler like quartz/quartz.net or something similar

i wouldn't use a bus/queue/etc for this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Symbolic Butt posted:

they did it, they made something even worse than loving makefiles, it's unbelievable

actually its much better than makefiles especially if you ever have to do something with multiple build toolchains

i really like cmake

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What is your platform of choice? Honestly, the .NET Orleans platform sounds like it might fit your wants? https://dotnet.github.io/orleans/

Basically, you define a set of Grains (your tasks) and when you need a task runner, you get your Grain client and connect, then use that to GetGrain<IMyTaskGrain>() and perform whatever operation you defined as part of your IMyTaskGrain. The backend is a cluster of Orleans silos that you either gin up in Azure or AWS or whatever (lol DevOps problems) and then when you create your grain client instance, you point it at your cluster and away you go. https://dotnet.github.io/orleans/Documentation/clusters_and_clients/index.html

The Orleans framework worries about which silo on which part of the cluster will run which grain, so you don't worry about that part, and if you want to see how your grains are doing, there's an Orleans Dashboard you can set up, too.

Last job I had, we ran this in production and it worked quite well. My recommendaton is to make sure to run some basic load testing because you have to be able to reason about the number of grains you're instantiating in the cluster, and make sure you have enough resources dedicated to your grain work. In other words, don't blame Orleans when you spin up a billion grains that all want to talk to a db table and your db dies.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wow cmake is barbaric

I moved all of my C++/C projects over to meson and I am more than happy with it.

I have a CMake file that calls out meson though for the express purpose that CLion only supports CMake. :smith:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

When merging in git, is there a way to explicitly tell git that two files are the same file? I'm trying to merge a feature branch in which a file was renamed and then went from 2 lines to 69. Even though the file was originally moved with git mv, git doesn't seem to be able to recognize that they are the same file during the merge. Most of the sites I've seen online suggest using git merge -X find-renames=N, where N is the similarity threshold, but because of the size of the difference here I'd have to set the similarity threshhold to a comically low value. Any ideas?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
my understanding of git is that it explicitly doesn’t track files that way and it always uses a similarity score to guess whether two non-identical blobs were the same file

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
renaming is just used after the fact when presenting it to the user, it doesn't store anything about the rename when it writes it out. git doesn't track it that way.

what are you trying to accomplish?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

When merging in git, is there a way to explicitly tell git that two files are the same file? I'm trying to merge a feature branch in which a file was renamed and then went from 2 lines to 69. Even though the file was originally moved with git mv, git doesn't seem to be able to recognize that they are the same file during the merge. Most of the sites I've seen online suggest using git merge -X find-renames=N, where N is the similarity threshold, but because of the size of the difference here I'd have to set the similarity threshhold to a comically low value. Any ideas?

can you commit the rename and the changes in two separate commits?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: nvm should've read before posting

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I got it! I had been on master and running git merge feature, but when I switched to the feature branch and ran git merge master it worked flawlessly. I'm a little surprised that those two operations are not the same, but this is probably one of those weird edge cases in git merging that the darcs/pijul people love to talk about.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

what are you trying to accomplish?

I was trying to preserve the history of the file, so that it "followed" the file back to the beginning instead of just to the move. It wouldn't have been a huge deal in the 2-line file case, but upon further review there was also a 200-line file that was being affected similarly by a significant number of minor changes.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

MrMoo posted:

Anyone use Veracode because :lol:

After smashing CI with way too many builds I get a 17 page report that appears to be utterly incorrect. Half a dozen signed/unsigned comparison errors on what are just lines with function calls in, and this single piece of code, which is apparently a severe numeric error:

C++ code:
poll_tv.tv_usec = delay.InMicroseconds() % Time::kMicrosecondsPerSecond;
That's even copied from :chome:

i'm about to start a poc with them please tell me more sadness

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

sometimes i really hate using git

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i am... ambiguous on the subject of cmake. on the one hand, i've had worse experiences with other build systems. on the other hand, i've just returned to c++ after a long period in c# land, and gently caress did i forget how much i hated all of c++'s compilation/linking process and all build systems in general. i will admit that making llvm/clang the first c++ thing i'm touching in a while might be part of the problem here, but still. well actually it's a fork of clang that folks at microsoft messed with to turn into an hlsl compiler for gpu shaders, and they've also sprinkled a fine layer of .cmd scripts and python on top of cmake to do... things. including using text to speech to tell you a build completed/failed which i personally think is the most goddamn annoying thing

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Blinkz0rz posted:

i'm about to start a poc with them please tell me more sadness

I have to fix this poo poo to get the application certified :chome:

"Buffer overflows"

That repeated set of lines is the for loop statement here (#2438), but of course not every instance that matches, just randomly picking them as far as I can tell.

"Numeric errors"

poo poo.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 9, 2019

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

https://github.com/xvimproject/xvim2 works vaguely okay except for all the things that don't work. just don't look too closely at how it's implemented because extending an editor that doesn't have any official support for plugins is pretty yikes.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Plorkyeran posted:

https://github.com/xvimproject/xvim2 works vaguely okay except for all the things that don't work. just don't look too closely at how it's implemented because extending an editor that doesn't have any official support for plugins is pretty yikes.

yeah, i looked at it but am not motivated enough to figure out if doing the xcode signing workaround is safe.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the attack vector that it opens is that if someone steals your private key, they can trick you into loading their code into xcode's process. even that can be prevented by just deleting the private key used immediately after signing xcode + xvim with it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

obviously don't download one of those "convenient" pre-built xcode+xvim packages because that's how you get ownedd

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
basically you can either suck it up and do it apple's way or suffer

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

VikingofRock posted:

I've been reading a discussion on modern C++ in the PL thread, and it's got me wondering: when is SFINAE actually needed over other template techniques? And when does it provide clearer code? It's something I've never really understood the motivation for.

it's all about pattern matching: templates are wildcards, SFINAE lets you narrow them down to more precise criteria. think of SFINAE as a hook into the function overload resolution algorithm: it lets you write customized match/skip conditions. concepts should make it significantly less gross but I haven't really looked into them. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Stringent posted:

basically you can suck it up and do it apple's way and suffer

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

actually its much better than makefiles especially if you ever have to do something with multiple build toolchains

i really like cmake

idk I don't see the benefit, I have to artisanally handcraft stuff for each toolchain anyway, I ever experience the cmake layer ever helping me out on this.

and that's really the gist of it: it's a complicated abstracting layer over the build process that never helps me out, it just adds complexity and I have to spend hours debugging it to understand why the hell it's not compiling with the flags I expected.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

What is your platform of choice? Honestly, the .NET Orleans platform sounds like it might fit your wants? https://dotnet.github.io/orleans/

Basically, you define a set of Grains (your tasks) and when you need a task runner, you get your Grain client and connect, then use that to GetGrain<IMyTaskGrain>() and perform whatever operation you defined as part of your IMyTaskGrain. The backend is a cluster of Orleans silos that you either gin up in Azure or AWS or whatever (lol DevOps problems) and then when you create your grain client instance, you point it at your cluster and away you go. https://dotnet.github.io/orleans/Documentation/clusters_and_clients/index.html

The Orleans framework worries about which silo on which part of the cluster will run which grain, so you don't worry about that part, and if you want to see how your grains are doing, there's an Orleans Dashboard you can set up, too.

Last job I had, we ran this in production and it worked quite well. My recommendaton is to make sure to run some basic load testing because you have to be able to reason about the number of grains you're instantiating in the cluster, and make sure you have enough resources dedicated to your grain work. In other words, don't blame Orleans when you spin up a billion grains that all want to talk to a db table and your db dies.

Just to expand on this a little bit - if .NET isn't where you want to land, the behaviour you appear to be describing fits the actor model pretty well. Orleans is one implementation of it, there are other non-.NET options available too.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hello thread, my latest book is out:

https://twitter.com/mononcqc/status/1083027123777036291

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

congrats :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU