Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
It bums me out that KT has stopped churning out Warriors titles but god drat if I don't still have poo poo to do in every game since WO3. I really miss DW Gundam though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Jibo posted:

It bums me out that KT has stopped churning out Warriors titles but god drat if I don't still have poo poo to do in every game since WO3. I really miss DW Gundam though. :(

The Gundam games were hugely frustrating to me because I liked some of the things they tried with each game, but they were each hugely flawed in new ways. It always felt like they were close to making a really good one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Randallteal posted:

The Gundam games were hugely frustrating to me because I liked some of the things they tried with each game, but they were each hugely flawed in new ways. It always felt like they were close to making a really good one.

How was Reborn? I never got to try that one.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Looks like I'm down to just replaying WO4 on Chaos, while completing all objectives (and getting 'S' rank), since that's pretty much it for replayability right now (aside from getting all weapons, but honestly I can't say I'm interested in getting all of those considering there are characters I just don't care for). Unfortunately it's going to be laughably easy seeing as Lu Bu, Keiji Maeda and Tadakatsu Honda are utterly maxed-out with their best gear equipped (not to mention the other 7 or so that aren't far behind which I can lob in for a bit of variety).

The "Slay" element is absolutely broken as gently caress, by the way. Hundun comes prancing in shooting his mouth off with this Pandemonium nonsense and immediately gets trounced by a quick flurry of button-mashing, spawning flames and lightning and Christ-knows-what.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Currently playing WO4 and Zhou Tai's incessant murmuring while playing as him is driving me crazy. I don't speak Japanese so it just feels like some sort of bizarre Musou-style ASMR experience. Are his sentences really that long? Like everyone else just screams their lungs out while using Unity Magic but he just keeps on talking.

Edit: Actually it seems it was a bug where his voice lines were playing over and over because I heard them for 10 minutes straight.

Azran fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 8, 2019

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Complaining about Zhou Tai talking too much does seem like a strange complaint.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So I got DW7: XLDE on Steam and I completely forgot that levels didn't use to be a thing. It's weird having to collect little Attack Up and such icons to get stronger.

Edit: This actually incentivizes blitzing lieutenants even more than the newer games felt like.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 15, 2019

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm getting a Switch soon. I need to pick between Hyrule, Fire Emblem, and Orochi 4. Leaning on Orochi 4 because of the sheer number of characters, but I'm worried about framerate. Split-screen multiplayer fine? Which is the most polished? I'm pretty much inured to musou game grinding, so no problems on that.

Additionally I might get Fate/Extella Link when it comes out because I'm an awful weeb

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm getting a Switch soon. I need to pick between Hyrule, Fire Emblem, and Orochi 4. Leaning on Orochi 4 because of the sheer number of characters, but I'm worried about framerate. Split-screen multiplayer fine? Which is the most polished? I'm pretty much inured to musou game grinding, so no problems on that.

Additionally I might get Fate/Extella Link when it comes out because I'm an awful weeb

Hyrule Warriors is the best warriors game by a wide margin.

I am hoping Extella Link improves on Extella. The first was okay but had a lot of janky characters. Good soundtrack, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Orochi 4 has very little content for a Warriors game. It's pretty disappointing.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

chumbler posted:

Hyrule Warriors is the best warriors game by a wide margin.

I am hoping Extella Link improves on Extella. The first was okay but had a lot of janky characters. Good soundtrack, though.

I'm more of a Fire Emblem fan than a Zelda fan, sell me a bit more on Hyrule? The little I saw of it was quite appealing but I don't really know anyone aside from Link (I've only played like, Link's Awakening DX and Oracle of Seasons).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FE Warriors is good, so if you're an FE fan, it's a solid choice. I know you've said you're inured to grinding, but it has far less mandatory grinding than HW. IMO History mode (which is where you're going to be spending most of your time in the game) is straight-up better designed, too; you're never stuck using a single character like HW. Also, while the character switching mechanic and the ability to give the other playable officers orders first appeared in HW Legends, it's much more natural in FEW; the game was designed around using these capabilities and it shows.

The main advantages to HW are that Definitive gets you the game, including all of the DLC from previous versions, so your $60 is getting you more content. Also, each character in HW has at least one unique moveset, while FEW has clones (although IMO FEW has better moveset quality on average; there weren't any characters I dreaded playing, as opposed to a few weapons in HW that were truly awful).

I don't have WO4, so I can't comment on its quality or lack thereof.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wasn't really feeling Hyrule Warriors on the Wii U but I've played a frankly silly amount of FE Warriors. Probably because I'm more of an FE fan, and especially the new games in particular, while I'm lukewarm on Zelda and its boss battles, of which HW has a few.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm more of a Fire Emblem fan than a Zelda fan, sell me a bit more on Hyrule? The little I saw of it was quite appealing but I don't really know anyone aside from Link (I've only played like, Link's Awakening DX and Oracle of Seasons).

The big thing with Hyrule Warriors is that it really differentiates characters more than any other musou (except maybe the One Piece ones.) The playable cast is pretty fair sized and you'll find someone you like to use. Most characters also have different weapons that change their movesets.

On top of this the game has a quite frankly insane amount of content. There's only a single story campaign but it's quite long and switches up characters as it goes but the meat of the game is the adventure maps where you unlock new battles with set conditions with a few other systems feeding into it.

The giant monster battles are the biggest weak point. While it's cool to see those iconic enemies they show up way too often and slow things down with their giant hp bars.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 25, 2019

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
On the plus side. Aside from MAYBE the imprisoned none feel as bad to me as Thrillerbark in One Piece. Oars is a bastard. On the downside, they like to throw the imprisoned at you a lot with conditions to beat him without damage basically......and force you to play Fi for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The imprisoned is at least a bit better in the switch version since your damage per break isn't capped now. Manhandla is still a giant piece of poo poo, though.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fooling around in DW3 after however long and the stage-specific NPC voices are really something.

This is clearly just one guy who isn't even trying to sound like three different officers.

Also got 100% on Orochi 4, and unsurprisingly I haven't really done anything with it since. Odd to think that it's "lacking" despite having 170 characters and however many battle scenarios. Something's just missing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Schneider Heim posted:

To add on to some other things, 2D Zelda is horribly underrepresented.

Also, since you like FE, you'll probably better understand why there are as many clone characters; you're less playing as a character and more playing as their class. Sakura, Takumi, Anna, and Niles all have the same move set, because they're all Archers. Their stats are very different, though, which allows them to be used for different situations. Camilla and Minerva both play the same, because they're Malig Knight and Wyvern Rider respectively, but Minerva's strength is basically S++ tier. You will use different characters of the same or similar class differently across the various missions.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Fooling around in DW3 after however long and the stage-specific NPC voices are really something.

This is clearly just one guy who isn't even trying to sound like three different officers.

Also got 100% on Orochi 4, and unsurprisingly I haven't really done anything with it since. Odd to think that it's "lacking" despite having 170 characters and however many battle scenarios. Something's just missing.

"Ok, read these lines like you're a sniveling twerp that got shoved into a battlefield on accident"
"That's... awfully specific"
*Flashes money*
"IS THIS HOW YOU REPAY LORD COW COW?!?"

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Aside from how absurd it is to start co-op on the Switch, Hyrule Warriors looks pretty fun. I got it for a friend and got to try it yesterday.

Bought WO4 for the Xbone and I agree that it feels very flat. Especially after 3 and it's going back in time to save officers motif.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Well, based on the responses, I guess I'll get both! But FE first, as I need to improve my Zelda knowledge.

Sad about WO4, I played 1 and 2, found 2 to be mechanically better, but less fun given its storyline. 1 really made use of its cast and the interactions were all great and pretty inspired. Shame because I'm a huge fan of SW4 and that's what WO4 is getting?

BTW, is Spirit of Sanada good?

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Spirit of Sanada involves way too much "walk around a village and read text boxes" between stages, but I thought the gameplay itself was fun. I bought it for around $20 I think and didn't regret it.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I love the presentation and style of Spirit of Sanada, there's some downtime between battles but to me that part is enjoyable too.
Plus I think Masayuki might be my fav SW character now, too bad he wasn't in WO4.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Takoluka posted:

To add on to some other things, 2D Zelda is horribly underrepresented.

I feel you on this, but at least it gets some representation in what was originally DLC stuff. Of course, that really just means that it's all adventure mode stuff without story.

At this point, I really just want a sequel that brings in the champions, though. Urbosa would be fun as hell if they set her up right.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Reive posted:

I love the presentation and style of Spirit of Sanada, there's some downtime between battles but to me that part is enjoyable too.
Plus I think Masayuki might be my fav SW character now, too bad he wasn't in WO4.

The between-battle downtime piece took up less time as the game went on as well, I wasn't the world's biggest fan but after the introductory stuff I stopped minding it so much. Masayuki is great and I liked Sasuke a fair amount as well even if he was hard to get a hang of.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I dunno why everyone else is so down on WO4, I recently bought it for Switch and am having great fun with it. I actually didn't like WO3 as much as everyone else here, unfortunately, due to playing SW4 beforehand (which WO3 came out before) and all the SW characters having their old movesets was such a bummer that I eventually ended up trading the game in. WO4 doesn't have that problem, plus it has the really cool magic system (as well as the Mock Battle feature, Jesus Christ I wish that was in every Musou/Warriors game). I just wish they hadn't gotten rid of all the cool guest characters like Ryu Hayabusa.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Put the characters from All Stars in a good musou, please.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Simon The Digger posted:

I dunno why everyone else is so down on WO4, I recently bought it for Switch and am having great fun with it. I actually didn't like WO3 as much as everyone else here, unfortunately, due to playing SW4 beforehand (which WO3 came out before) and all the SW characters having their old movesets was such a bummer that I eventually ended up trading the game in. WO4 doesn't have that problem, plus it has the really cool magic system (as well as the Mock Battle feature, Jesus Christ I wish that was in every Musou/Warriors game). I just wish they hadn't gotten rid of all the cool guest characters like Ryu Hayabusa.

The problem with the game isn't that it's bad (it's actually quite good). The problem is that it's short. Once you finish the story there's basically nothing left to do.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
And DW9 is getting more DLC than WO4, which is amazing

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I have got to give Omega Force credit, they're really trying to salvage DW9. I downloaded that full game demo and kept it on my PS4 and I swear every month I get a big update for it, so I look at the patch notes on the system and it's this laundry list of Things People Didn't Like being fixed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

Put the characters from All Stars in a good musou, please.

This

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They can leave out the furries.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Actually, add more furries.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

HOOAH JOHN, FACE ME IF YOU DARE.

God I love the DW3 voice "acting". I feel like a kid again hearing all this dumb poo poo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
All-Stars never interested me because it was a bunch of games I've never heard of. Kinda like those two anime dudes in WO3U. (Their series was Stein something?) Honestly I wish the WO series had more historical warriors from other parts of the world. Just always seems weird that only warriors from two parts of history are pulled together to fight. Especially when their brought together by Olympian gods. :shrug:

Just let me pit William Wallace against the forces of Cao Cao :black101:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's a dude from an Atelier game, if that's why you mean.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

all stars was doomed from the second they didn't include bo jackson as a playable character

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

all stars was doomed from the second they didn't include bo jackson as a playable character

Yeah it's this. I even voted for him in Japanese in their surveys!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah lack of Bo Jackson is a clear mistake on their part.

To be honest, at least for me All Stars would probably have been fine if the whole game was set to be in the middle brave levels rather than having to deal with the unfun slog of low levels and nothing mattering at high, on every map.

Also get rid of Naotora's invincibility super or at least don't have her in seemingly every drat map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

Also get rid of Naotora's invincibility super or at least don't have her in seemingly every drat map.

That was one of my biggest problems with the game