Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I kind of feel it should be Pelosi.

Until we have a nominee, she's the party's defacto leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Charlz Guybon posted:

I vote Jimmy Carter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pelosi's a good enough politician to know she's not a good enough speaker. Being a leader includes knowing what tools for what jobs.

As said an immigrant or person with a direct connection to the issue would make a lot of sense.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
It would be funny as hell if Mueller dropped a bomb sometime before the motherfucker's speech.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

A coalition majority of senators could call to replace the speaker with someone who will bring it to the floor and then can vote on it.

You can do almost anything with a majority

the Senate doesnt have a speaker

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah but she’s an uninspiring and stilted speaker. She’s not going to be able to deliver at the level we need here.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

selec posted:

Yeah but she’s an uninspiring and stilted speaker. She’s not going to be able to deliver at the level we need here.

One of the new Democratic WoC would be great, but I fear they wouldn't be seen as credible yet seeing as they've been on the job for a week.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
The obvious answer is the surprisingly woke Axl Rose

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Seeing an old woman on screen stuttering and shaking would definitely not be a good look imo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Could it be argued that in this great capitalistic scheme of ours, TV networks have a fiduciary responsibility to air Trump's bullshit speech, if not just for how many more eyeballs will be tuned in?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Your Taint posted:

One of the new Democratic WoC would be great, but I fear they wouldn't be seen as credible yet seeing as they've been on the job for a week.

Honestly, throwing a freshman congressperson on network tv to address the President on like Day 5 probably isn't the best decision in the world. And like, as much as it makes sense in a broad sense it isn't really the issue at hand.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
I almost feel like it's a feature not a bug that the rest of the awesome House freshmen are also doing a bunch of poo poo that isn't getting much focus, people who are tuned in still know they're doing some great stuff but the whole right wing hate machine is fixed on AOC and it took calling their thrashing pustule of a president a motherfucker for them to even briefly notice how much more they have to worry about than her.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Your Taint posted:

Tomorrow, if declared, will be the 32nd concurrent state of emergency in the US.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1082466696215101442

at what point does this entire nation just flip over into Emergency State as a permanent status

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Majorian posted:

To be fair, it doesn't help that it's so close to "Talib," which is also a real name.

Ahem.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Fart City posted:

at what point does this entire nation just flip over into Emergency State as a permanent status

If this works, both sides will be constantly declaring states of emergency just to get anything done. This is like the worst, most broken German board game.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Your Taint posted:

It would be funny as hell if Mueller dropped a bomb sometime before the motherfucker's speech.

Watching Trump poo poo his pants in real-time during the speech on national television would loving own

:getin:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fart City posted:

This isn't as crazy as it looks - each emergency has to specify which emergency powers it uses - ie the president can't deploy fighter jets because California catches on fire - and some things do work well treated as a sustained crisis

You have to re-up them over a year, also

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BarbarianElephant posted:

If this works, both sides will be constantly declaring states of emergency just to get anything done. This is like the worst, most broken German board game.

It won't work

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fart City posted:

Approximately negative-two years from now

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Guys its going to be Obama.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

This is sad. Very sad. I have a BA in history and I'd trade it for nothing.
Good news! Many, and probably most undergrad "polisci" programs these days are mostly history lessons.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Jack2142 posted:

Holy poo poo they should have to show a live camera of his reaction to that too in that case so we can see how deranged he gets.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Jack2142 posted:

That Kennedy guy with the moist lips.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

That wouldn't be a terrible plan. He has one of the highest approval ratings in politics right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should hire Christian Bale for the rebuttal

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jack2142 posted:

"I didn't call to tell him I wanted the Wall either."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason that no-one is mentioning the obvious answer? Someone who is charismatic, credible, experienced, a leader of Democrats, and would cause Trump and his supporters to have rage strokes?

Get Obama.

Edit: damnit, beaten.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Is there a reason that no-one is mentioning the obvious answer? Someone who is charismatic, credible, experienced, a leader of Democrats, and would cause Trump and his supporters to have rage strokes?

Get Obama.

Someone did. Like 10 posts ago.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I honestly fear for anyone who has to follow that orange buffoon. Imagine having a speech (or two) prepared, one for "I give up, but actually I won" and one for "I am declaring an emergency and building the wall on the DoD's dime" and instead Dotard-in-Chief shits his diaper and declares hispanics illegal and order the nuking of Lichtenstein or something.

Anderson Cooper: Well, the bombs are in the air. Thoughts and prayers to the soon-to-be former citizens of Vaduz. Now to Congressman Adam Schiff for a rebuttal.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

Get Obama.

good luck peeling him off the beach on billionaire island

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Good news! Many, and probably most undergrad "polisci" programs these days are mostly history lessons.

Are you sure? Where I went, Political Science involved some history, but then it veered into making us read thousands of pages of stilted academic writing regarding trying to fit everything into some categorizable political theory instead of (what I found to be) more interesting things like describing evidence and establishing primary sources.

LitigiousChimp
Sep 14, 2002

Sputty thinks I'm awesome and I deserve a kitten avatar!

Enkmar posted:

Could it be argued that in this great capitalistic scheme of ours, TV networks have a fiduciary responsibility to air Trump's bullshit speech, if not just for how many more eyeballs will be tuned in?

Why would the ratings matter? It’s not like they’re going to be selling commercial time during the speech.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Enkmar posted:

No.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I was reading Piketty's book and he said if you get rid of PAYGO one generation gets totally screwed. He was taking in regards to social security. Is that an issue for the bill proposed ten pages back?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LitigiousChimp posted:

Why would the ratings matter? It’s not like they’re going to be selling commercial time during the speech.

I'd argue the other way, in fact: we need to agree on something else to watch during his speech to drive home the point that even as President, Donny T can't command the United States to pay attention to him.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You know what I just realized? Despite the seemingly constant chaos, Trump's approval ratings are probably the most consistent/stable we've ever had. I mean, they're constantly bad, but still. That's crazy.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
A few pages ago, some folks were taking about just being bored of Trump, which is kind of terrifying. If people stop caring and paying attention to news about him, the news may just start only covering actual news about him. That might give him the impetus to start doing really crazy poo poo to get the attention that he craves.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are all the networks broadcasting him? George H.W. Bush tried to get prime time coverage for a speech and got snubbed because it was an obvious political ploy. This should probably be treated the same. Just because you're President doesn't mean you get to interrupt television.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Are all the networks broadcasting him? George H.W. Bush tried to get prime time coverage for a speech and got snubbed because it was an obvious political ploy. This should probably be treated the same. Just because you're President doesn't mean you get to interrupt television.

Yeah but HW was boring as gently caress. Trump gets ratings. That’s it, that’s the entire incentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

KillHour posted:

You know what I just realized? Despite the seemingly constant chaos, Trump's approval ratings are probably the most consistent/stable we've ever had. I mean, they're constantly bad, but still. That's crazy.

Yeah, it's really weird how stable they are. They don't go up and down like most Presidents. The only time his approval has been above his disapproval is the month he was elected.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

Hopefully this is a good sign for losing in 2020 if Democrats nominate someone more appealing than a potato.