Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Absurd that place-shifting your own cable subscription is "a legal can of worms" but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HDHomeRun even has it hardware locked to check the TTL on the connection, and won't let you access the streams outside your network even if you have the bandwidth to do so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RIP Aereo

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

When you say 'place shifting', do you mean more than simply watching the live TV channels over the WAN? Because I can do that. It's just sharing it with external people that doesn't work, if I don't say they are part of my Home.

I figured it was just a fig leaf to say they don't (easily) enable piracy of that contwnt

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

EL BROMANCE posted:

HDHomeRun even has it hardware locked to check the TTL on the connection, and won't let you access the streams outside your network even if you have the bandwidth to do so.

Yeah that poo poo is obnoxious. Luckily you can restream hdhr stuff with ffmpeg pretty easily:

ffmpeg -i http://hdhomerun.ip.address:5004/auto/v69 -c:v copy -c:a copy -format mpegts -listen 1 http://127.0.0.1:6969

Then just open port 6969 (or whatever) to the machine running ffmpeg, and you can open http://external.ip.address:6969 in VLC

If you have a fast machine you can even improve the quality a bit on interlaced channels with yadif, reencode to h264, split the output to a file, etc etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I need to mess about with ffmpeg on it more, get it to reencode it down to h264 4mbit or so. Never really need it, but it's fun to mess with things until they work and then ignore them forever. Plus useful when something inevitably stupid kicks off in my local area and I have local news feeds I can send to friends.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I know I'm the guy who keeps bringing up Emby in the Plex thread but you can share Live TV/Recordings with it.

Also HDHR's ttl lock doesn't work with it (or Plex) if you are using remote transcoding, which is likely to be the case anyway, since the stream is just going to Emby/Plex itself. Similar to the ffmpeg workaround (in fact that is for all purposes the same thing).

I stream live TV on my iPad outside my house all the time with the Emby client. Last September I watched a football game from my hotel in Amsterdam (I live in Texas) that way.

Plex yanked it because they have higher profile partnerships and thus probably throw out a lot of corp-speak like "optics" around the office, although how this is any different from the thousands of people sharing their pirate media collections is unclear to me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Plex server tells me it's not accessible from outside my network but I downloaded the app on my phone and it seems like it let me stream 1 minute of something from my server (when I was only connected to cell, wasn't using my network), so is it lying to me? How do I tell for sure?

And if it's not, how do I fix it? I'm on ATT Uverse using one of their routers and my server is hard wired to their router (it doesn't have wifi).

I've been farting around in this thing and haven't stumbled onto the answer, if there is one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you using the web view of the server, and the page that tells you if it’s connectable or not? If so, give it a bit of time... I find it defaults to ‘no’ then switches to yes once it’s done a test or something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Mine is the exact opposite, displays yes for like 1/2 a second and then no.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
does your router have UPnP enabled? if no, you’ll need to manually port forward 32400 to your plex box and configure plex to know that it’s a manual forward

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Friends don't let friends enable UPnP.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dren posted:

does your router have UPnP enabled? if no, you’ll need to manually port forward 32400 to your plex box and configure plex to know that it’s a manual forward

As far as UPnP:

But in general that's kinda what I been trying to do but jeezus what do I really do.

Like is it this thing:

or this thing:

And if so, what do I put where? Like the only number i know is the 32400 but this thing got source and destination and from and to and I tried the more obvious inputs and still haven't gotten it to work.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

bird with big dick posted:

As far as UPnP:

But in general that's kinda what I been trying to do but jeezus what do I really do.

Like is it this thing:

or this thing:

And if so, what do I put where? Like the only number i know is the 32400 but this thing got source and destination and from and to and I tried the more obvious inputs and still haven't gotten it to work.

It's the Apps, Pinhole, DMZ setting. Follow the Port Forwarding directions for your router/modem model here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1123072?gsi=IzLr5HPy

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
That's the screen from a Pace 5268AC if I'm not mistaken - do you have AT&T Gigapower? There are other Pace models so maybe it's one of those instead, but they all kind of suck regardless... anyway:

Short Term:

You want to create an Application Profile under Apps, Pinhole, DMZ (call it "Plex) and for the protocol, use TCP, for port range 32400 (both), map to host port you can leave blank or put 32400 in as well. Forward it to your Plex Server ip. It is a good idea to give the latter a DHCP reservation so it always get the same ip.

Then in Plex, under Settings/Remote access, check the box for "manually specify port" and enter 32400, then apply. You may need to restart your Plex server at this point.

Don't mess with UPNP.

Long term:

Get a better gateway from AT&T and throw the Pace 5268 in a large trashcan with some gasoline. Step back a safe distance and set it on fire. I prefer the Arris BWG210-700 because you can do true ip passthrough with it, whereas with the Pace there's a lovely DMZ+ mode that, while it will forward everything to a better gateway behind it like passthrough does, is still kind of poo poo.

You can call AT&T and tell them you want the Arris because you are having problems with the Pace and they'll send someone out to replace it for you (for some dumb reason, going to the BWG210 requires a tech visit even though there's literally nothing the tech does you couldn't do yourself). I've personally done this in the past in case it isn't obvious.

Then get a better wireless router to sit behind your AT&T gateway and passthrough everything to it. I built my own pfsense gateway appliance but that can get kind of involved and frankly almost any recent consumer-grade router/gateway is better than what AT&T gives you in all respects.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

My Plex server tells me it's not accessible from outside my network but I downloaded the app on my phone and it seems like it let me stream 1 minute of something from my server (when I was only connected to cell, wasn't using my network), so is it lying to me? How do I tell for sure?

And if it's not, how do I fix it? I'm on ATT Uverse using one of their routers and my server is hard wired to their router (it doesn't have wifi).

I've been farting around in this thing and haven't stumbled onto the answer, if there is one.

I have U-verse, and here's what I had to do to get it to allow remote access. Go here:

then here:

where you add an entry for each of the following:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/201543147-what-network-ports-do-i-need-to-allow-through-my-firewall/

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Hi guys - I have a couple questions that I wanted to ask the sages here on SA:

I have a pretty high horsepower laptop and it works as a Plex server great, runs 4k no problem. The only issue is when I got the laptop I didn't anticipate ever really needing major storage on it, so I got a 256GB SSD on it. Now that it's serving as our household Plex server, the storage on it sucks.

My questions are:

1) Can I just get external WiFi storage for it and have that fix the problem, without encountering much in the way of performance drops? I.e. the laptop is still the server it's just pulling what it's processing from the external storage wirelessly.

2) Some cheaper ($300 range) WiFi storage with NAS functionality, like the WP Passport Pro, claim to be able to act as a Plex server independently. Looking at the specs on these makes me really skeptical though. The higher end NAS with good enough specs look like they could do it no problem, but they're too expensive. Has anyone used something in the $300-400 range as a dedicated Plex server and not had issues with it?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I use my old HTPC (an Acer Revo 3610) as a NAS. It's got a whopping 4GB of RAM and has 2 or 3 USB drives hanging off of it and also runs Sonar and Torrents. My Plex server is my nVidia Shield which does all the transcoding stuff.

The old NAS just server files from the USB drives to the Shield and which I then watch on Plex/Kodi/mobiel/FireStick, etc.

I know as soon as I go Hog Wild on an expensive NAS someone will come up with a new unlimited Cloud drive or something.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Bonzo posted:

I use my old HTPC (an Acer Revo 3610) as a NAS. It's got a whopping 4GB of RAM and has 2 or 3 USB drives hanging off of it and also runs Sonar and Torrents. My Plex server is my nVidia Shield which does all the transcoding stuff.

The old NAS just server files from the USB drives to the Shield and which I then watch on Plex/Kodi/mobiel/FireStick, etc.

I know as soon as I go Hog Wild on an expensive NAS someone will come up with a new unlimited Cloud drive or something.

I think that answers it - if the HTPC is just storing the stuff but the Shield is processing it without any problems, I think I can just stick a big external storage on my laptop and have it work fine. At least if it doesn't I'm not out a lot of money.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So since plex sync and transcoding blows, what are my other options? Id like some simple way to say "transcode and copy these files to my tablet for offline viewing"

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

vaginite posted:

Hi guys - I have a couple questions that I wanted to ask the sages here on SA:

I have a pretty high horsepower laptop and it works as a Plex server great, runs 4k no problem. The only issue is when I got the laptop I didn't anticipate ever really needing major storage on it, so I got a 256GB SSD on it. Now that it's serving as our household Plex server, the storage on it sucks.

My questions are:

1) Can I just get external WiFi storage for it and have that fix the problem, without encountering much in the way of performance drops? I.e. the laptop is still the server it's just pulling what it's processing from the external storage wirelessly.

2) Some cheaper ($300 range) WiFi storage with NAS functionality, like the WP Passport Pro, claim to be able to act as a Plex server independently. Looking at the specs on these makes me really skeptical though. The higher end NAS with good enough specs look like they could do it no problem, but they're too expensive. Has anyone used something in the $300-400 range as a dedicated Plex server and not had issues with it?

You can easily just use a USB HDD for this; you could do NAS and map a drive, but if there's a disconnect and PMS can't find the drive for a while it may cause issues (like deleting the library entries from your master DB.)

I don't think that portable WD Passport can transcode, but their PR2100/4100 can do it no problem, and you can find them in that price range on eBay, used.

cr0y posted:

So since plex sync and transcoding blows, what are my other options? Id like some simple way to say "transcode and copy these files to my tablet for offline viewing"

You could just use Handbrake. :shrug:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Atomizer posted:

You could just use Handbrake. :shrug:

Yea i probably will, i just really wish plex would get its act together and fix its poo poo.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I plex sync’d a bunch of stuff this weekend and it was fine. Everything that got requested for sync converted on the server with the app closed. I had to go into the app and refresh the downloads and sync page to get it to download but it downloaded fine. The whole thing took a while but whatever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

vaginite posted:

The tricky thing with either of these is that you're now multiplying the bandwidth load on your wifi network. If the laptop and storage are both connecting wirelessly, then that means your router is going to try and have to handle:

a) The file-read bandwidth from the NAS to the router, aka the full bitrate of the file
b) Same amount of bandwidth, from the router to your laptop
c) The transcoded Plex output from your laptop to the router (whatever bitrate you play at)
d) The transcoded Plex output from the router to whatever device is playing it

Whereas playing off of local storage you're only dealing with the last two. And while 802.11ac networking should be able to handle this in theory, things are rarely ideal.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

The tricky thing with either of these is that you're now multiplying the bandwidth load on your wifi network. If the laptop and storage are both connecting wirelessly, then that means your router is going to try and have to handle:

a) The file-read bandwidth from the NAS to the router, aka the full bitrate of the file
b) Same amount of bandwidth, from the router to your laptop
c) The transcoded Plex output from your laptop to the router (whatever bitrate you play at)
d) The transcoded Plex output from the router to whatever device is playing it

Whereas playing off of local storage you're only dealing with the last two. And while 802.11ac networking should be able to handle this in theory, things are rarely ideal.

What if I have a really good router - 1300 Mbps. The issue is the laptop is where I download my media too so lugging around a USB drive with it is a pain in the rear end. It's all parked in the same room too so should be getting close to optimum transfer speed on my router. If even then it's going to be an issue I might just buy and configure an Nvidia shield and park storage on that, then deal with transferring downloaded media to it.

e: Also thanks on the PR2100/4100 recommendation, I'm seeing some on ebay and might go that route, found a few that look like good deals.

vaginite fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 7, 2019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

vaginite posted:

What if I have a really good router - 1300 Mbps. The issue is the laptop is where I download my media too so lugging around a USB drive with it is a pain in the rear end. It's all parked in the same room too so should be getting close to optimum transfer speed on my router. If even then it's going to be an issue I might just buy and configure an Nvidia shield and park storage on that, then deal with transferring downloaded media to it.

You won't get 1300 Mbps and the more devices that are heavily using the wifi the less reliable it will be. If you want to try what you are describing, try it. People are just (correctly) advising you that it's not likely to end well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I should mention that my NAS and Shield are wired, not using WiFi if that matters.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

cr0y posted:

Yea i probably will, i just really wish plex would get its act together and fix its poo poo.

Well Plex works just fine for its primary features: automatic media management and transcoding. There's certainly a use-case for offline sync/downloading, but that's ultimately a secondary concern for the project, and it does work fine for some of us.

vaginite posted:

e: Also thanks on the PR2100/4100 recommendation, I'm seeing some on ebay and might go that route, found a few that look like good deals.

Depending on your specific wifi configuration, it may be half-duplex in the worst-case scenario, which means only one device can receive or transmit at a given time, which is a problem in any sort of streaming scenario. Having one endpoint (say, the client) on wifi and the server wired is fine. Also, with a more capable AP that can use multiple channels, antennas, and frequencies this would be less of an issue: having the server connect at 5 GHz and the client at 2.4 GHz would not cause any interference between the two.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Well Plex works just fine for its primary features: automatic media management and transcoding. There's certainly a use-case for offline sync/downloading, but that's ultimately a secondary concern for the project, and it does work fine for some of us.

Depending on your specific wifi configuration, it may be half-duplex in the worst-case scenario, which means only one device can receive or transmit at a given time, which is a problem in any sort of streaming scenario. Having one endpoint (say, the client) on wifi and the server wired is fine. Also, with a more capable AP that can use multiple channels, antennas, and frequencies this would be less of an issue: having the server connect at 5 GHz and the client at 2.4 GHz would not cause any interference between the two.

Thanks - I do have multiple bands on my router, but I think I'm gonna take your prior advice. I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-4TB-My-...azky6:rk:1:pf:0

Seems legit, lots of big red takes a lot of time to ship text but it's probably coming from overseas, and can just wire straight into my router unless it's some sort of ebay scam seems like a good solution - unless you think there is something better I can do. Tbh I'd probably go up to $500.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Recertified on something that holds lots of data would have me a little worried, especially if it comes from far away where people give even less of a gently caress than GameStop people.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Recertified on something that holds lots of data would have me a little worried, especially if it comes from far away where people give even less of a gently caress than GameStop people.

Yeah seems shady - gently caress it I'm OK with this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GLRX674/ref=twister_B07HHPB2JD?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

This would work as a server and storage right?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know how much space you have but you could get a cheap, old server like a DL380 or something and throw a new HDD in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PROLIAN...cCY6O:rk:6:pf:0

It's not power efficient compared to modern machines but it will transcode anything you throw at it and more.

edit: ok maybe not 4k transcoding it's passmark score is 10186, plex says

quote:

Very roughly speaking, for a single full-transcode of a video, the following PassMark score requirements are a good guideline for the following average source file:

4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
4K SDR (40Mbps, 8-bit HEVC) file: 12000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
1080p (10Mbps, H.264) file: 2000 PassMark score
720p (4Mbps, H.264) file: 1500 PassMark score

edit edit: actually it should do 4k, I read the description again and it's got 2 processors in there

Dren fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 8, 2019

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

vaginite posted:

What if I have a really good router - 1300 Mbps.

You'll never get that from a single client to another and unless you are using LAG with 2GBe connections you won't even get that with multiple clients aggregated. Don't rely on wireless for a NAS is the basic advice you should stick with. Unless you seriously know what you are doing and have the right equipment in place.

vaginite posted:

The WD My Clouds are supposed to be decent for Plex. A Shield TV would also work, you can hook USB drives up to it, and as a bonus it is also a pretty kickass client. And cheaper overall. Check the Plex forums and see what other users are saying about their setups with both.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
This should be interesting:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/07/plex-plans-to-offer-ad-supported-movies-and-more-premium-subscriptions/

Plex going for a build-your-own-Roku type service.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

Dren posted:

I don't know how much space you have but you could get a cheap, old server like a DL380 or something and throw a new HDD in it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-PROLIAN...cCY6O:rk:6:pf:0

It's not power efficient compared to modern machines but it will transcode anything you throw at it and more.

edit: ok maybe not 4k transcoding it's passmark score is 10186, plex says

Spec chart helps alot - thanks - think I'll consider a shield per the later comment though.

Ixian posted:

The WD My Clouds are supposed to be decent for Plex. A Shield TV would also work, you can hook USB drives up to it, and as a bonus it is also a pretty kickass client. And cheaper overall. Check the Plex forums and see what other users are saying about their setups with both.

So if I get an Nvidia shield and cat5 it in to my router, wire it to something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235160

That should be a good setup right? I know there is some nuance to transferring files to a shield formatted drive but can live with that. Also thanks a bunch for your guy's help I know this is a pain in the rear end.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Interesting shift

quote:

Plex plans to offer ad-supported movies and more premium subscriptions

Sarah Perez@sarahintampa / 3 hours ago

Media software maker Plex is preparing to take on The Roku Channel and Amazon Prime Video Channels, possibly as soon as this year. The company is in discussions with rights holders and content providers, with a focus on bringing free, ad-supported movies to the Plex  platform – similar to how The Roku Channel got its start. It’s also talking to premium networks and content providers about offering their programming and subscriptions through Plex.
The talks follow the company’s recent partnership with music service TIDAL.
By working with TIDAL to sell bundled subscriptions to its streaming music service along with the Plex Pass subscription, Plex had to build certain transactional capabilities into its platform that it didn’t have before. That has paved the way for Plex to expand its subscription offerings to include new partners in the future.
“Now we have the ability to sell other services and bundles,” noted Plex co-founder and Chief Product Officer, Scott Olechowski, in a discussion this week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. “We’re bundling a Plex Pass with TIDAL. That took a little bit of backend work,” he continued. “You can imagine a bunch of different premium [content] that comes together in a single or multiple bundles, potentially.”
In Plex, content is organized not by source but by type – like music, movies, TV, etc. So when Plex rolls out premium content and subscriptions, it would show its users what sort of movies they have access to based on their subscriptions within the app’s movies tab. The same goes for TV and so on.
Premium content is only one area of interest for Plex going forward. It’s also looking to offer ad-supported content – like ad-supported movies.
As Plex expanded beyond organizing personal media collections to offer access other media – like podcasts, news, and web series, for example – it built out its ad tech platform, too. Today, Plex serves ads in its streaming news and web series, and is now capable of doing so for ad-supported movies.
“We have the ad integration that we didn’t have before. That wasn’t there a year and a half ago,” Olechowski pointed out.

“I think, from a commerce perspective, we’ll have ad-supported, we’ll have free obviously, and we’ll have subscriptions. And I think we would like this year to launch transaction [capabilities] as well, just as an option for certain types of content,” he said.
Plex isn’t ready to launch these new offerings yet, to be clear. It needs to work on the DRM portion and the transactional components for one-off purchases before it’s able to finalize deals with content providers or launch features for the Plex user base.
However, that could be coming as soon as this year, Plex believes.
“We have a bunch of conversations that make it potentially possible in 2019,” Olechowski said.
Beyond the technical considerations, there are also larger issues Plex needs to figure out before these products would launch to users – like which deals make sense for Plex, how will the offerings be bundled together, how the economics will work, and more.
“Now, it’s really a question of what’s the right order of battle, given the conversations we’re having with content providers who are all super excited about getting content into Plex,” added Plex CEO Keith Valory. “We can’t do it all at once,” he said.
While Plex doesn’t have deals to announce at this time, it’s confident it will get them done.
“The market is heading in this direction,” said Valory. “People realize there are too many services, too many silos. There’s just too much. It’s just madness. So if there’s a way to get in front of these users – and do it in a way that they love it – they want to be part of that,” he said.

Tldr plex is in the works to stream ad supported movies and shows, it just needs to get the DRM, pricing, etc right.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

What do you mean

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't think content rights holders will be super jazzed about adding their content to a platform that only really exists to play pirated crap without major concessions. And if the Plex team is working on chasing that money, the rest is sure to take a back seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

vaginite posted:

Thanks - I do have multiple bands on my router, but I think I'm gonna take your prior advice. I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-4TB-My-...azky6:rk:1:pf:0

Seems legit, lots of big red takes a lot of time to ship text but it's probably coming from overseas, and can just wire straight into my router unless it's some sort of ebay scam seems like a good solution - unless you think there is something better I can do. Tbh I'd probably go up to $500.

That one's fine, but I've seen that seller before and was apprehensive about purchasing from them due to the seemingly excessive processing time and also the whole "power adapter may not be included" thing; I mean is it or isn't it, let me know if I have to purchase one or not!

vaginite posted:

The only things that concern me about that one is that since it only has 2 bays, capacity is limited and it can't do RAID5, which is the one RAID level I'd be interested in using in such a configuration. You're then limited to RAID0 or 1 (realistically the latter, or JBOD, because you don't need RAID0 as even Gigabit Ethernet is a bottleneck for a single good drive.) The 4-bay PR4100 is the more flexible variant.

Also I'd suggest going for the diskless version and adding your own drives, it should be cheaper overall.