Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I just remembered how when Trump cut off aid to the PA even the Israeli government thought that was too harsh, and they shoot teenagers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just remembered how when Trump cut off aid to the PA even the Israeli government thought that was too harsh, and they shoot teenagers

Oh it's entirely interested on their part; don't worry.

US aid to the Palestinian territories meant that the US were the ones footing the bill for mitigating the damage caused by Israel. Without mitigation, the Palestinians will only become more desperate and therefore less easy to control. After all, the entire strategy of Israel to keep stealing land and wealth from their Helots is to make them too afraid to rise up by making them feel they have something to lose. This is why Israel loves to commit the war crime of collective punishment.

Now there's one less thing that the Palestinians can be afraid of losing. The solution is either to find another patsy that will pay for, effectively, funding Israel's continued illegal occupation; or they'll have to pay for it themselves. The first seems highly unlikely; the second is outright impossible, any Israeli government that would spend even just one shekel of taxpayer money on making conditions slightly less worse for the slave-caste would be immediately overthrown.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, and that is why Israel would be against cutting off aid since it will just make it worse for people in the territories to the point where violence will return

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's just newspeak, reframing the occupation as liberation and the palestinian call for sovereignty as a call for ethnic cleansing has been with us for a long time. Ya'll are just used to arguing within homogenous leftist communities.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

https://pics.me.me/hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

The thing is that the saner parts of the Israeli government don't want the PA to collapse. There's plenty of tough talk and bluster, but out of all the major Palestinian factions, the Fatah-led PA is the one most willing to cooperate and collaborate with Israel. The cooperation isn't just lip service, either - the PA security forces directly collaborate with the IDF, sharing intel and even suppressing anti-Israel factions. If Fatah loses control of the West Bank, power will fall to more violent groups, and Israeli settlements are so intermingled with Palestinian villages that the IDF can't effectively defend against a significant uptick in violence there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The thing is that the saner parts of the Israeli government don't want the PA to collapse. There's plenty of tough talk and bluster, but out of all the major Palestinian factions, the Fatah-led PA is the one most willing to cooperate and collaborate with Israel. The cooperation isn't just lip service, either - the PA security forces directly collaborate with the IDF, sharing intel and even suppressing anti-Israel factions. If Fatah loses control of the West Bank, power will fall to more violent groups, and Israeli settlements are so intermingled with Palestinian villages that the IDF can't effectively defend against a significant uptick in violence there.
Has there ever been a major Palestinian uprising against an illegal settlement any time recently?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'd never encourage anyone to read all that, but here's a sampler from the latest page of it:

How is that blindly defending the IDF? I literally said their actions in Gaza were a provocation. Did you even read what you quoted?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Aren't there literally people paid to do PR work for Israel by posting? I doubt SA would be a target, though, and of course there are also just good old fashioned brainwormed ideologues willing to carry water for just about any awful thing you can think of.

I don't know which explanation I would find more discomfiting with regards to KJI's perseveration.

You realize that my views are pretty much identical to the Obama administration, US public opinion, and most western European governments? Either you are not familiar with what I've actually posted, or you're living in a bubble.

HootTheOwl posted:

On the other-hand, Bibi.

He's a disingenuous cynic who wants to maintain power more than anything else.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the head of the jewish state embracing an outright fascist is a very good look.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Ultramega posted:

I don't want to contaminate this thread too much but wow holy gently caress this dude kept bringing up how palestinian cities like halhul or ramallah are effectively apartheid cities concerning jews which is really loving funny considering the situation in Hebron.

What's he been saying about Halhoul? It's my paternal village by the way. Well, town now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the head of the jewish state embracing an outright fascist is a very good look.
This isn’t even the first one he has been cool with (that would be Victor Orban)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has there ever been a major Palestinian uprising against an illegal settlement any time recently?

There haven't been major Palestinian uprisings in general - the status quo has been pretty much unshaken for more than a decade. In the West Bank, Abbas cooperates with Israel to shut down all dissent and ensure a relatively peaceful and stable West Bank, while Gaza has been sealed off and isolated.

However, the Intifadas were a big problem for Israeli authorities. Since settlements were often built near major West Bank infrastructure and close to Palestinian villages in order to claim as much Palestinian land as possible, with little thought given to security and sustainability, the settlements are extremely difficult to defend from any meaningful threat.

It's likely not a coincidence that Israel undertook both the withdrawal from Gaza and the building of the West Bank security barrier, both of which reduced the vulnerability of settlements, during the Second Intifada. However, whatever one thinks about the success rate of the West Bank wall (there was a decline of violence, but many other Israeli and Palestinian actions happened while the wall was being constructed, so it's impossible to isolate just the wall's impact), it's been rendered obsolete by the passage of time. The period of peace after the last Intifada led to complacency, and settlement expansion has led to many new settlements outside Bibi's border wall.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Notice the date.

Sure is a head scratcher given that we were told that the embassy had already moved?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Hong XiuQuan posted:

What's he been saying about Halhoul? It's my paternal village by the way. Well, town now.

Nothing in particular beyond acknowledging that it is a town in the west bank. Dude turned out to be a complete loving android who was claiming ridiculous poo poo like how israeli jews who wander into the west bank get lynched, how they sprayed sewage into the tomb of the patriarchs, etc basically a lying gently caress.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Ultramega posted:

Nothing in particular beyond acknowledging that it is a town in the west bank. Dude turned out to be a complete loving android who was claiming ridiculous poo poo like how israeli jews who wander into the west bank get lynched, how they sprayed sewage into the tomb of the patriarchs, etc basically a lying gently caress.

Ahahaha what? We notoriously love defiling our own prophets. Can't recall a lynching happening in Halhoul but I can tell you that the first word of one of my baby cousins (back in 2002) was 'dbabeh' (tank) because of the Israeli tanks regularly rolling through the streets in the hills. That was pretty apartheid of us.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Five Palestinian factions are forming a new political body in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip in an attempt to break the political duopoly of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas's Fatah movement and Gaza-rulers Hamas.

The factions announced the formation of 'The Democratic Caucus' at a news conference on Thursday, with the stated aim of challenging the two main Palestinian political parties.

Leaders said they would work toward holding presidential and parliamentary elections, and protecting human rights in the occupied Palestinian territories.

The new coalition is comprised of leftist and secular political parties, including the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP), the Palestinian National Initiative (PNI) led by Mustafa Barghouti, the Palestinian People's Party, FIDA, and other independent national figures.

Don't know enough about these 5 factions to comment but it sounds interesting. Marwan Barghouti will of course be released to lead it. :v:

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2019/1/4/new-palestinian-political-body-aims-to-rival-abbas-hamas

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 4, 2019

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Your link is broken

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I accidentally put a period at the end of it.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the real tomb of the patriarchs is my vagina

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

avshalemon posted:

the real tomb of the patriarchs is my vagina

the ark of my covenant will shower the tomb with light rain

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Netanyahu hyped up a big speech over his corruption charges. He wants to be able to face the states witnesses against him lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The hell is going on in Israel

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1082484248026800131

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thought y'all would appreciate the conversation this sparked with my Israeli boss.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is his eldest son the one that cheaped out on paying for a blowjob (and it was insanely cheap to begin with) and uses "bro" every other word?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

is his eldest son the one that cheaped out on paying for a blowjob (and it was insanely cheap to begin with) and uses "bro" every other word?

yea he fuckin rules

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Israel: "Why can't Palestinian activists who oppose Israel do so peacefully? There is no equivalence to the black civil rights movement because black people chose boycotting buses over bombing them."

"Fine, we'll boycott Israel."

Israel: WOAH hold up there

It is also illegal for Palestinians in Israel to boycott the occupied territories

So when people say there is no equivalency to the civil rights movement, you are absolutely right. Palestinians can't even boycott settlements. At least black people could boycott racist establishments.

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 9, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

DEA posted:

It is also illegal for Palestinians in Israel to boycott the occupied territories

You may also like: Shawarma, the classic Israeli street food,

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently a civil rights museum in Birmingham is revoking an award they were going to give to Angela Davis because she supports BDS. This is becoming insane.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think the solution is to boycott the organizations that boycott BDS.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently a civil rights museum in Birmingham is revoking an award they were going to give to Angela Davis because she supports BDS. This is becoming insane.

:yikes: That's hosed up.

edit: you should post an article if you have one, out of curiosity.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683250815/civil-rights-award-rescinded-from-angela-davis-after-jewish-community-objections

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/...impression=true

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

FlamingLiberal posted:

I need the biggest supporter for civil rights you have

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Finally some more details about this

https://www.haaretz.com/us-news/hol...jOzNp0v9QB1Wdqs

quote:

The Birmingham Holocaust Education Center wrote to the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute on January 2 expressing "concern and disappointment" about the plan to honor Davis with an award named for minister and civil rights pioneer Fred L. Shuttlesworth. The letter urged the institute to "reconsider your decision."

The Holocaust group cited "recent outspoken support" of a boycott, divestment and sanctions campaign against Israel, Al.com reported.
In a statement posted on its website over the weekend, the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute said, "Upon closer examination of Ms. Davis' statements and public record, we concluded that she unfortunately does not meet all of the criteria on which the award is based."

The Institute's statement did not say what specific criteria Davis did not meet.

So after getting a human rights award removed from Angel loving Davis, they say this

quote:

Layman said the Holocaust education organization is willing to meet Davis with when she comes to her hometown.

"(We) would be happy to have a conversation with Prof. Davis," Layman said. "We believe that through open, respectful dialogue, mutual understandings may be reached."

idiots and hypocrites

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Do non-profits have to publish a list of donors somewhere, with the amounts donated? My theory is some big donors are very pro-Israel and threatened to stop donating if she gets the award.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

DEA posted:

Israel: "Why can't Palestinian activists who oppose Israel do so peacefully? There is no equivalence to the black civil rights movement because black people chose boycotting buses over bombing them."

"Fine, we'll boycott Israel."

Israel: WOAH hold up there

That is American policy though, not Israeli. And that bill isn't the proposal to ban boycotts at the behest of NGOs (which is separate and has no chance of passing), its stated purpose is to permit states to divest from companies participating in BDS.

quote:

His bill -- or rather, Title IV of his bill (the other three titles cover defense authorizations for Israel and Jordan, and tightened sanctions on Syria) -- does one thing: it states that state anti-BDS laws (of the second-type, above) are not preempted by federal law.

If that sounds technical, it is. Rubio's law doesn't itself impose any penalty or restriction on persons engaging in BDS. All it says is that if a state passes a law limiting its own investment or contracting to entities which disavow BDS, such a law wouldn't be deemed to conflict with any federal statute (preemption hasn't been a major feature of debates over BDS bills, but presumably Rubio is worried about Crosby v. National Foreign Trade Council).

I would have written the bill more broadly by instead focusing on state policy on companies that discriminate on the basis of national origin (which I think would both cover BDS, as well as some Israeli companies engaging in impermissible conduct.) I think broadly there are two issues at play here - what's acceptable for a governmental body as opposed to a private citizen, and the validity of boycott tactics in general. For consistency, if boycott is a valid tactic, then it either always must be or never be. And people like Greenwald who are screaming about this proposal are the first to complain about private citizen boycotts of BDS.

You're also glossing over how there are wide degrees of boycotts, from settlement boycotts that frankly a lot of Zionists support, all the way to the formal BDS movement arguing, per Chomsky and Finklestein, that the Israeli state must cease to exist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kim Jong Il posted:

the formal BDS movement arguing, per Chomsky and Finklestein, that the Israeli state must cease to exist.

this poo poo should be probatable by now

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
That is an accurate portrayal of their views. I'm making actual arguments and citations, and you are not.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/finkelstein-disowns-silly-israel-boycott-1.31716

quote:

He said: "I'm getting a little bit exasperated with what I think is a whole lot of nonsense. I'm not going to tolerate silliness, childishness and a lot of leftist posturing." He said the Palestine Solidarity Movement's campaigns for refugees' right to return and equal rights for Israeli Arabs were a cover for its desire to see the destruction of Israel. "I loathe the disingenuousness," he said. "We will never hear the solidarity movement [back a] two-state solution."

https://newrepublic.com/article/122257/unpopular-man-norman-finkelstein-comes-out-against-bds-movement

quote:

Indeed, Noam Chomsky has also come out against BDS in support of Israel’s existence. He calls the attacks on Finkelstein “completely uncalled for, indeed outrageous.” He says that Finkelstein “had cogent and rational arguments” and “has done more for the Palestine cause than all those who launched these disgraceful attacks combined.”

And certainly both have given other pro-BDS quotes, but I portrayed their views on that point correctly.

I agree with them solely in the sense that the formal BDS movement (not necessarily all of its adherents) makes the right of return a requirement, and that is inconsistent with Israel's existence. One state or a binational state is something else, you can debate the merits all you want, but it's not Israel. Barghouti literally gives interviews where he says he wants to replace Israel with a one state solution, so the claim that the formal BDS movement wants to end the Israeli state is a tautology. I did not say harm Israelis or Jews, although I don't think BDS's objectives are at all obtainable, and are in fact an impediment to the two state solution. Fortunately, most BDS support is pretty soft (relatively), and would largely disappear with better Israeli policy.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 10, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I support BDS and if it results in the transformation of Israel from an apartheid, ethnonationalist state into a truly pluralistic democracy, then it'll have achieved the goals I see in it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Germany managed to still exist despite being forced to stop being an ethnostate at the point of a gun, I think plucky 'lil isreal will be fine.