Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Id rather have a master sword and rich/varied combat than lock press button whackathon where you also gotta equip new/worse weapons every few secs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Mario is a delicately-prepared lobster roll and Zelda is a seafood special at Subway

Panther2103
Jan 7, 2019

Whorelord posted:

the only good streamer is danny brown

That's an unpopular opinion? His streams are actually entertaining compared to 99% of other streams.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Tim Burns Effect posted:

still better than twilight princess, the worst zelda game

I don't play any Zelda games but I was curious about this because I thought that game was highly regarded

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TP isn't perfect but i like the visual style of all the dark world stuff a lot. It's a polarizing game though

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Twilight Princess had like a 15 hour tutorial. Can't speak to the remake.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Watching streams is a poor substitute of having actual friends and watching them play games in the same room and is probably causing mental illness.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Also, I didn't find the world of BOTW anywhere near as empty as you all are describing. Even ignoring the contents of the shrines, the world is peppered with towns and villages, stables, ruins to explore, mini bosses, dragons, fairy fountains, and some cool surprises. I agree that the combat wasn't super fun when played straight, which is why I usually just climbed to the top of a tower, looked for something cool, and then flew there.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't play any Zelda games but I was curious about this because I thought that game was highly regarded

It has the most plot of any zelda, and most of it is quite bad. It also has some of the ugliest motherfucking NPC's in zelda history, and you are expected to care for them quite a lot when they get stolen by the big bad guys. You rescue them and the smallest and ugliest one of them all sets up a shop in hyrule where he will fleece the hell out of you by selling expensive garbage while patronizing you the entire time.

Midna and wolf link are fun characters, but the internet community has sexualized both to an absurd degree, even though midnas proportions are that of a classically animated baby character. For reference, here's a disney animator showing the classic proportions of a "cute" character.

The last couple dungeons are painfully boring with dull mechanics. A double hookshot sounds cool until the entire dungeon is hookshotting a floating flower pot, waiting 15-30 seconds for it to fly to a spot where you can hookshot another one to get over there, rinse and repeat for like half an hour. The whole dungeon is over a bottomless void where if you miss or get hit by anything you drop and zone out and have to start over again.

The overworld tried for a modern-day open world game, but the wii can't really support that, so it's segmented sections of open field that are truly boring to navigate through, and makes the whole game feel like a shoddily-connected series of uneventful tubes.

Almost every collection quest and random reward is rupees in a game where money means nothing. You can walk around with a full wallet and buy nothing the entire game.

Olaf The Stout fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 8, 2019

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

TP initially benefited from a ton of hype around it being the supposedly mature and serious Zelda game. The N64 and GC gave Nintendo a bad reputation of being too kid friendly and people went absolutely apeshit when the TP trailer came out. Everyone was hyper defense about it when it first came out but over time I've definitely seen public opinion turn on it. Most of that game is an absolute chore.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Olaf The Stout posted:

Midna and wolf link are fun characters, but the internet community has sexualized both to an absurd degree, even though midnas proportions are that of a classically animated baby character. For reference, here's a disney animator showing the classic proportions of a "cute" character.

Those Disney animators knew exactly what they were doing.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Twilight princess is the best 3d Zelda game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

a bone to pick posted:

Twilight princess is the best 3d Zelda game after Wind Waker

True.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
People were hyper defensive over TP which was the source of the “8.8” meme. The game really just felt like a paint by numbers Zelda game if I recall (haven’t played it since 2006). The dungeons were boring, the opening segment went way too long (a massive criticism of Zelda games and Japanese game design in general) and it just felt lifeless. The open world didn’t feel like much of a step up from OOT and the bosses were basic “use item found in dungeon to beat boss who has the exact same easy to recognize pattern”. The game was scrapped and done over in development and you can see why: it just doesn’t feel Zelda in scope. Every Zelda game felt like it brought something new to the table and here was something made to plug a release quarter.

It’s also funny how everyone lost their poo poo over “grim and gritty” Zelda when the trailer dropped and here we are with Wind Waker being seen as a damned classic. That was the game everyone went “lol too kiddy” on back then. Even Majora’s Mask, seen as the weird dark horse at the time, is regarded as top tier Zelda while TP is just “there”.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Also, I didn't find the world of BOTW anywhere near as empty as you all are describing. Even ignoring the contents of the shrines, the world is peppered with towns and villages, stables, ruins to explore, mini bosses, dragons, fairy fountains, and some cool surprises. I agree that the combat wasn't super fun when played straight, which is why I usually just climbed to the top of a tower, looked for something cool, and then flew there.

Yeah whenever people call BOTW empty I have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah whenever people call BOTW empty I have no idea what the gently caress they are talking about.

Botw putting stuff everywhere is probably its main strong point don't know how people could call it empty. Looking at the map it looks less like an open world and more of a public minecraft server, just stuff all over the place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

a bone to pick posted:

The weapon system in New Vegas is perfect, second-best goes to the STALKER games.

I dunno about that but then again I mostly enjoy playing New Vegas just for the weapons. I just like the designs, everything from the dinky pistols to the cowboy guns and even assault rifles has a nice design and a bit of personality to it, without even getting into the unique weapons. The (default) weapon mods are nice and understated without going too crazy.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

The weapon system in New Vegas is perfect, second-best goes to the STALKER games.

Both of those games I ended up finding and using a very over powered weapon for most of the game making the other weapons pretty useless so I wouldn't call them perfect.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flannelette posted:

Both of those games I ended up finding and using a very over powered weapon for most of the game making the other weapons pretty useless so I wouldn't call them perfect.

Which one was it?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

My beef with twilight princess was that it reused the same engine and a lot of the sound effects from wind waker so the way a lot of characters moved felt like wind waker but didn't look like wind waker and the two just really didnt mesh for me. Something about it just always feels off

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which one was it?

Straingly it always ends up being a gauss rifle. In stalker any good assault rifle with a scope can make most weapons obsolete even in close quarters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flannelette posted:

Straingly it always ends up being a gauss rifle. In stalker any good assault rifle with a scope can make most weapons obsolete even in close quarters.

Understandable, the gauss rifle is just so loving fun and satisfying to shoot. Did you find the unique one? It's a SA reference!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

With the Signature Weapons Mod you can make any weapon level up with you. In the end the only weapon that could counter the immensely powerful legion is the humble switchblade.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The whole "mini classic systems" craze sucks rear end, but that Neo Geo one is tempting as gently caress and looks 10 times cooler than the rest of them.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The neo geo mini seems to ship with 40 pissy street fighter clones

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The neo geo mini seems to ship with 40 pissy street fighter clones

i would've bought it if it just had garou: mark of the wolves and metal slug x, but the neo geo mini actually had blazing star, shock troopers, samurai showdown etc, so it's a pretty good cross-section of the neo library.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

After reading the last few pages of Zelda/Mario chat I have to ask. When is the last time Nintendo made just a regular Mario game? I don't include Maker. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since 64, but all I can remember recently is poo poo like Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, whatever. I just recently watched a video where Mario runs around the entire game with some idiotic water gun backpack. Is this all the series is now, just dumb gimmick games?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BubbaGrace posted:

After reading the last few pages of Zelda/Mario chat I have to ask. When is the last time Nintendo made just a regular Mario game? I don't include Maker. I haven't owned a Nintendo console since 64, but all I can remember recently is poo poo like Sunshine, Galaxy, Odyssey, whatever. I just recently watched a video where Mario runs around the entire game with some idiotic water gun backpack. Is this all the series is now, just dumb gimmick games?

the new super mario bros. series are straightforward side-scrollers, there's another one coming out soon

there's also 3D Land and 3D World which are just "go to a place and get a thing" style stages like SM64

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

BubbaGrace posted:

what would you consider a "regular" mario game? they're all pretty insane.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

what would you consider a "regular" mario game? they're all pretty insane.

I mean just a straight forward platform game. No open world non-sense, gimmick weapons, go-karts, fighting games, tennis courts or god knows what else they are doing these days.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They made so many back-to-basics 2D platforming New Super Mario Bros games that people actually got sick of them. Other than that, you pretty much picked the outlier with Sunshine as it's the only mainline 3D Mario that revolves prominently around a gameplay-changing gimmick, the Galaxy games and Odyssey just use variants on the Mario 64 moveset, plus some gimmicks but only if you consider things like powerups and Yoshi to be gimmicks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BubbaGrace posted:

I mean just a straight forward platform game. No open world non-sense, gimmick weapons, go-karts, fighting games, tennis courts or god knows what else they are doing these days.

Super Mario 3d World. Also known as the best Mario game ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiB8P-qrBAg

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 8, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Super Mario 3D World is impossibly good and needs a Switch port way more than NSMBU+NLU.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The touch mechanics are easy, but the blowing ones will require a bit of change. Probably switch to touch or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I got sick of 3D World, but I dunno, maybe I'd like it with another go. The Wii U was just kind of a chore to play games on for a few reasons, at least for me. (not all of them relating specifically to the Wii U) It's probably going to get a Switch port at some point in any case.

Nobody really treats the Mario spinoffs as the same as the mainline Mario platformers, unless they're deliberately being stupid. It's not like Rayman or something where the gimmicky spinoffs end up taking over the franchise, they're separate things.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Seeing people fawn over Nier Automata (still) is loving sad. Its like star wars, a cool fun time that i enjoyed then moved on with that a certain subset of geeks latch on to and treat with this extreme reverence. Its loving sad when its a movie about spaceships and light swords but its borderline pathetic when its an alright videogame with overtly sexual themes that pander to the audience.

The next stinking nerd that goes on about 2B being the greatest games character ever should be made to go vegan and take up running. gently caress off with obsessing over toys made for teenage boys. Jesus.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Hey man, Nier is a transcendent game Adjusts camera for a sick upskirt of 2B that speaks to the nature of existence.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I got sick of 3D World, but I dunno, maybe I'd like it with another go. The Wii U was just kind of a chore to play games on for a few reasons, at least for me. (not all of them relating specifically to the Wii U) It's probably going to get a Switch port at some point in any case.

Nobody really treats the Mario spinoffs as the same as the mainline Mario platformers, unless they're deliberately being stupid. It's not like Rayman or something where the gimmicky spinoffs end up taking over the franchise, they're separate things.

Yeah, something about the 3D World/Land games just felt kind of phoned in. I played a ton of the 3DS one, but it just felt like it was missing SOMETHING and I don't know what.

They are interesting to look at as what Mario 64 could have been if they had just 3D-fied the sidescrollers of the NES and SNES.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

CrRoMa posted:

Seeing people fawn over Nier Automata (still) is loving sad. Its like star wars, a cool fun time that i enjoyed then moved on with that a certain subset of geeks latch on to and treat with this extreme reverence. Its loving sad when its a movie about spaceships and light swords but its borderline pathetic when its an alright videogame with overtly sexual themes that pander to the audience.

The next stinking nerd that goes on about 2B being the greatest games character ever should be made to go vegan and take up running. gently caress off with obsessing over toys made for teenage boys. Jesus.

Yep, this is the worst opinion in the thread.

Also, you're equally obsessing over the "objectification" of literal polygons. Just as bad as the nerds that sexualize it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Panther2103 posted:

That's an unpopular opinion? His streams are actually entertaining compared to 99% of other streams.

in this thread probably not but as most people on twitch would probably choose some overgrown sperm that screams a lot, it sort of is