Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

That link isn’t the combat log :colbert:

I'll just put it here since I'm clearly incompetent and it's not very long

quote:

*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
** Starting New Arena **
🍆 strikes at Jim but the shot is deftly parried by the silver maul!
Jim attacks 🍆 but He jumps away!
🍆 bashes Jim in the left foot with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the neck with his silver maul, bruising the muscle and shattering the upper spine's bone!
🍆 bashes Jim in the left lower arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle through the cow leather left glove!
The force twists the left elbow, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the muscle!
🍆 bashes Jim in the left lower leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the fat!
Jim misses 🍆!
🍆 bashes Jim in the left hand with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle through the cow leather left glove!
Jim misses 🍆!
Jim: Can it all end so quickly? Begone fear!
Jim misses 🍆!
Jim charges at 🍆!
🍆 looks surprised by the ferocity of Jim's onslaught!
Jim collides with 🍆!
🍆 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
🍆 stands up.
Jim misses 🍆!
🍆 strikes at Jim but the shot is easily deflected by the silver maul!
Jim attacks 🍆 but He jumps away!
Jim: I've been wounded. It's annoying.
🍆 bashes Jim in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
Jim misses 🍆!
🍆 bashes Jim in the right upper arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
Jim bites 🍆 in the right upper arm, tearing the muscle!
Jim charges at 🍆!
🍆 looks surprised by the ferocity of Jim's onslaught!
Jim collides with 🍆!
🍆 is knocked over and tumbles backward!
🍆 stands up.
Jim bashes 🍆 in the lower body with his silver maul, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the left foot with his silver maul, bruising the bone!
The force bends the left ankle, tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone and tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone!
A ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
🍆 falls over.
Jim bites 🍆 in the second toe, left foot, tearing apart the fat!
Jim latches on firmly!
Jim shakes 🍆 around by the second toe, left foot and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The second toe, left foot is ripped away and remains in Jim's grip!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the left upper arm with his silver maul, bruising the fat!
🍆 is no longer stunned.
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim attacks 🍆 but He rolls away!
🍆 bashes Jim in the right hand with his platinum war hammer, bruising the fat through the cow leather right glove!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the upper body with his silver maul, bruising the muscle and bruising the heart!
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim attacks 🍆 but He rolls away!
🍆 strikes at Jim but the shot is parried by the silver maul!
Jim attacks 🍆 but He scrambles away!
Jim kicks 🍆 in the left hand with his right foot, bruising the muscle!
The force pulls the left wrist, tearing apart the muscle and tearing apart the muscle!
🍆 loses hold of the platinum war hammer.
🍆 attacks Jim but He jumps away!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right lower arm with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right lower leg with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right foot with his silver maul, bruising the fat!
Jim punches 🍆 in the right lower arm with his right hand, bruising the bone!
The force pulls the right elbow, tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone and tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone!
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right lower arm with his silver maul, bruising the fat!
🍆 kicks Jim in the lower body with his right foot, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the left lower arm with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right upper leg with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
🍆 kicks Jim in the right hand with his right foot, bruising the fat through the cow leather right glove!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the left upper leg with his silver maul, bruising the bone!
The force bends the left hip, tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone and tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone!
🍆 misses Jim!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right foot with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
🍆 scratches Jim in the left hand, bruising the fat through the cow leather left glove!
🍆 bites Jim in the left upper arm, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right upper arm with his silver maul and the injured part is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
An artery has been opened by the attack!
The force twists the right shoulder, tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone and tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone!
A ligament has been bruised and a tendon has been bruised!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right hand with his silver maul, bruising the muscle!
Jim bashes 🍆 in the right lower leg with his silver maul and the injured part is crushed!
The force twists the right knee, tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone and tearing apart the muscle and bruising the bone!
🍆 gives in to pain.
Jim bashes 🍆 in the head with his silver maul, but the attack is deflected by 🍆's small copper cap!
The force pulls the neck and the upper spine is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!
A tendon in the upper spine has been torn!
Jim grabs 🍆 by the right upper leg with his right lower arm!
Jim locks 🍆's right hip with Jim's right lower arm!
Jim bends 🍆's right upper leg with Jim's right lower arm and the right hip collapses!
A ligament in the right hip has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Jim releases the joint lock of Jim's right lower arm on 🍆's right upper leg.
Jim releases the grip of Jim's right lower arm on 🍆's right upper leg.
Jim grabs 🍆 by the thumb, right hand with his silver maul!
Jim grabs 🍆 by the right ear with his left upper arm!
🍆 has bled to death.
Jim: Death is all around us. The horror consumes me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

First of all, thank you for using my fighter's native tongue when stating his name. Respecting and preserving his cultural heritage was very important to him, right up until he died.

Second of all, oh my god, ha, I thought I'd switched him to a molemarian, WHOOOOPS :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Blood on the arena floor. It's an Armokmas miracle!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tunicate posted:

calm down it was just bad munki

Yes but what I wanted to happen did.

The arena floor is now covered in kobold paste.

Also I wonder what would have gone down if you were a molemarian.

I had no armor except a hat

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I fixed the combat log entry and even modified the combat log viewer script a little.

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_combat_log.php?733

(note that emojis don't work on the rest of the site yet, but I know how to fix it and will get to that)

edit: Also that was one of the funnier writeups I've seen, plz do more, Tunicate, tia.

edit2:

quote:

🍆 stands up.
:laugh:

quote:

🍆 falls over.
:(

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 13, 2018

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

I'm completely bloody shit at this!

quote:

Jim bashes 🍆 in the head with his silver maul, but the attack is deflected by 🍆's small copper cap!

This is why you should always use protection.

Lady Teacup
Dec 6, 2016

Maugrim posted:

Give me powers and I will run all remaining fights and just post the results and combat logs

Tunicate posted:

Give me full powers and I will run exactly one fight and then get bored and become impossible to contact

Well, I don't even have DF and so can't run any fights, but if you make me a commissioner I promise to run at least as many fights as the others have. At the very least, it will be silly if we have everyone in the thread promoted before we even finish the first round.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Make me a commissioner and I will fake enough results to get us through this thing

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

Make me a commissioner and I promise I will never get around to running any fights.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Make me commissioner and I will ensure that tournaments will never be completed, retroactively.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ROUND EIGHT

In the red square, this fowl-mouthed fighter is going hell-for-leather, breaking taboos like she'll break your spine, it's Duck Fucker!

In the blue square, this cool cat just wants to axe you some questions, a tiger man with a battle plan, it's KITTY!

As the bell rings, the fighters rush forward. Duck Fucker's elf feet propel her faster than the sluggish KITTY, not at all slowed by the massive two-handed sword she's carrying. It's nice to know that at least SOME fighters know how much weapon they can handle.

KITTY springs around like a maniac, with three impressive dodges that are so preemptive our combat reporter refuses to register them. With hops like those, he should be called TIGGER!

When they finally close to combat, they find themselves evenly matched. The fighters trade a ferocious spiral of parries, dodges, and counters. Duck Fucker stabs KITTY in the arm, and he returns the favor with an axe to the leg!

Both of them are injured, but Duck Fucker keeps the upper hand by whacking KITTY in the head, then slashes him in the shin so hard his thigh bends. The stuffed animal theory gets more support by the minute!

A slash to KITTY's lower arm has me convinced! You can see stuffing coming out of the seams as his upper arm twists apart! The battleaxe that was crudely sewn to his hand falls to the arena floor.

Now that he's done playing with axes, TIGGER springs forward to give Duck Fucker a big hug, knocking her to the floor. Unfortunately, this horseplay gets a little out of hand, and TIGGER accidentally steps on Duck Fucker's wrist and breaks it.

Duck Fucker cuts his wrist off in retaliation, and enjoys the payback.

She enjoys it so much, she decides to get some more, turning the stuffed tiger into an oversized pincushion.

Christopher Robin is going to be so disappointed.

The winner: Duck Fucker!

Combat Log: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/view_combat_log.php?734

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 19, 2018

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hm. Why didn't she drop the sword? It's a two handed weapon, she only had one usable hand, I thought that would cause it to be dropped.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

goatface posted:

Hm. Why didn't she drop the sword? It's a two handed weapon, she only had one usable hand, I thought that would cause it to be dropped.

I think a two-handed sword can be used with one hand, depending on character size/maybe strength? I wouldn't think an elf would be big enough to do that either though.

Klokwurk
Sep 18, 2010

An averagely-sized elf (or dwarf) shouldn't be able to use a 2-handed sword at all.
A slightly larger than average elf (or dwarf) should be able to use a 2-handed sword in 2 hands.
A particularly large elf (or dwarf) should be able to use a 2-handed sword in one hand.

I have no idea if arena mode generates creatures at their average size or what, and I don't know if it checks at all to see if a creature should be able to use a weapon you've assigned to it. Also, at least in fort mode, weapon handedness has been very bugged for years, so basically, who knows what's going on.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think we should take this thread to the next meta level and run a tournament of tournaments, where everyone starts a tournament and each tournament competes with its opponent tournament by finishing a round of fights.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I think everyone can use two handed weapons single handed right now, just with a very large skill penalty.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

my dad posted:

I think everyone can use two handed weapons single handed right now, just with a very large skill penalty.

The game used to be a whole lot more clear about how all this worked. The current website rules for weapons and hands were based on Vox's findings from six or seven years ago before he finished law school, and I don't think the DF site ever fully explained how things were changed.

That said, I'm guessing at some point it probably was fully explained, but I don't feel like going back to the DF changelog archives and reading all that poo poo, so I welcome anyone who might be able to summarize all of the changes for those whomst commissioneer, to do just that. There might be dorfbux in it for ya.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
new year new fights lets do this

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I'm still down

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Anyone want to run one?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i have a dumpy laptop that can do DF so am willing to run some. idk how i just looked at the arena thing last night but anything to get this moving again imo is good

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

i have a dumpy laptop that can do DF so am willing to run some. idk how i just looked at the arena thing last night but anything to get this moving again imo is good

Which tournament do you want to manage? The team tournament or the 1v1 tournament?

... eh, gently caress it, I just made you a commissioner for both, and you can decide what you want to run.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
And for instructions on how to run a tournament match, here is how it's done:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426500&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post433546430

And the latest modded version of Dwarf Fortress for the arena is here:

https://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_43_05_arena.zip

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Start a new tournament, obviously!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hell yeah Commissioner Foley Verbal has checked into the building. I'll read up on how to do things tonight and plan to finish/ or start a new tourney maybe a 1v1 dealio.

oh heck im gonna continue the current because my group is up to fight next!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ok reading how to do things took like 4 minutes so lets start this poo poo now.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ive forgotten my password for a 3rd time...

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We've all been there fam

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

ive forgotten my password for a 3rd time...

Lemme reset it for you brocephus

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Lemme reset it for you brocephus

Thanks guy lol

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

verbal enema posted:

Thanks guy lol

Check your PMs Teddy Broosevelt

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tomorrow is my day off (Tuesday) so we will get somr fights in for sure

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh we all believe you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
wait does this mean my teams fight is finally being ran?

Since this process tends to introduce fatigue in commissioners should we cut down on the full comedy write up? Like cut it to interesting / cool interactions

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I demand 1000% effort, commissioners are to be considered a consumable resource.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Eat my whole rear end you get what I can write up on this 4 year old Toshiba poo poo can i have

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That’s the spirit, I love it already

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Team fight of some lame chilly nerds vs Three Strong Women and Frick being run now.

this is the second version of the fight im sorry but i dropped lava into the arena and killed the whole enemy team my bad

e: so many screens just to catalog this fight goddamn are big brawls intense

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

verbal enema posted:

this is the second version of the fight im sorry but i dropped lava into the arena and killed the whole enemy team my bad

This sounds promising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ok dicks lets get this started (continued) ((again))
i cant find my mouse rn so forgive me for the huge timg screens but its this or nothing ya bastards also this fight took like 3 hours cuz believe it or not; dot ticking fights takes forever and i had to get really stoned

:siren: Round 3, Fight 2 :siren:

Feels A Bit Chilly (1-1) is on the left side of the arena.
Bowbold the Bold (Dance Officer) is a male dwarf. He wields an iron crossbow and wears leather armor, an iron mail shirt, and leather gauntlets.
Naked Snake (astus) is a male serpent man. He wields an iron large dagger and wears no armor.
Polybolos in Strangler Camo (AJ_Impy) is a male strangler. He wields two iron pilums and wears no armor.
Fourlearned Is (Coward) is a female molemarian. She wields a copper spear and a wooden shield and wears no armor.

Three Strong Women & Frick (1-1) is on the right side of the arena.
Deep AI Generated Kobold (jon joe) is a female kobold. She wields an iron pick and wears no armor.
NotTheEuphrates (Fuubi) is a female tigerman. She wields a bronze pilum and wears a copper cap and leather high boots.
Frick (Tiler Kiwi) is a male kobold. He wields a copper pilum and wears no armor.
Daisy (Verbal Enema) is a female werewolf. She wields a silver war hammer and wears an iron helm and an iron mail shirt.

Three Strong Women & Frick is a 1.63 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2366.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1450.00 dwarfbucks for Feels A Bit Chilly.

Here we have our intrepid fighters! A fine mix of ranged and melee on each team let's see how this plays out

Immediately both teams fire bolts, hurl javelins, and pilums to begin the desperate attempt to maim an opponent.

While the TigerwomanNotTheEuphrates takes a tremendous double hit and loses her ability to stand she does land a fine hit and lodges her javelin into the fat dwarfs leg. She is struck with doubt but vows to not give up. Bowbold the Bold comments on the horror of battle. Polybolos in Strangler Camo says nothing and prepares to throw another javelin

Frick's throw is true and slams into the slithering Naked Snake, mangling a portion if his spine but the Serpent Man remains upright.

Daisy prepares to initiate the first hand to hand combat of the match against the terrifying Fourlearned Is. Both of them are too slow and Deep AI Generated Kobold tries to get a jump on Naked Snake but gets stabbed as a result.

This fight would carry one team to victory.