Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Stealth truly breaks this game. Getting into fights when in ninja gear is a bad idea, but once you get high enough level you can just ghost past enemies without a second glance. The only time I ran into issues is when I had a couple of hard locks and very perceptive guards in the Ashlands.

Really need to start leveling my knockouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah now that I have a new game to play (if i can't fix my crashing issue) i'm going to play a stealth runthrough. I've heard its broken, i've /kinda/ seen it. Now I want to truly break it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Install the texture/ground clutter mods posted previously if you have stability or load time issues. They help a lot with the games video memory problems

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

RabbitWizard posted:

In the towns around the hub most of the weapon dealers have 2 locked weapon lockers at ground level. There are about 15 swords in one of the lockers ranging from 500 to 3.5k SELL value.
Even if you sell to the thieves guild, you make ~10k. Sending in one guy with a thieves backpack and good stealth (which is easy to train) and Hobbs with a giant backpack means it takes you 2 minutes to make 10k in every town you visit.
Hauling your 150kg loaded Hobbs to the next town and selling there also doesn't hurt.

After experiencing this exciting gameplay loop often enough, I ran my main char towards the holy nation and beat up some guards. They made me a slave. I lockpicked everything, stole things, ran away from guards for a bit, stole some more and ran off with a 50k bounty on my head.
Then Hobbs picked me up and turned me in. I escaped the cage, picked up Hobbs and we ran off with our 50k.

This game is incredible.

Ah yes, the Bag Man.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Stealth truly breaks this game. Getting into fights when in ninja gear is a bad idea, but once you get high enough level you can just ghost past enemies without a second glance. The only time I ran into issues is when I had a couple of hard locks and very perceptive guards in the Ashlands.

Really need to start leveling my knockouts

You can totally fight in light armor if you've got defense over 30 and use light weapons. Three mediocre ninjas get hands-off wins against a pack of dust bandits. If you're willing to micro and use stealth/speed, the required number of ninjas is, of course, one.

How Disgusting fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 7, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I keep my bounties as a badge of honor. They stick once you get to 10k or so and never fade so you can just work on being the most infamous dickhead in the world

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If you knockout someone do they know who knocked them out magically? Or if I knock out a shopkeep/guard with no witnesses, will they just wake up to a bare shop?

Normally I just Rob them at night, but the ranger shop in strange town is actually a fortified shop with town guards in it. I want those masterwork xbows!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Donkringel posted:

If you knockout someone do they know who knocked them out magically? Or if I knock out a shopkeep/guard with no witnesses, will they just wake up to a bare shop?

Normally I just Rob them at night, but the ranger shop in strange town is actually a fortified shop with town guards in it. I want those masterwork xbows!

I've broken into shops after 24:00 when everyone is in bed, whacked them in the head while they were asleep to make them properly KO'd and cleaned out the store. If you whack everyone in the building then it's 100% chance to steal everything. They have no idea what happened after they wake up.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

How Disgusting posted:

Ah yes, the Bag Man.

You can totally fight in light armor if you've got defense over 30 and use light weapons. Three mediocre ninjas get hands-off wins against a pack of dust bandits. If you're willing to micro and use stealth/speed, the required number of ninjas is, of course, one.

Dust bandits, sure, but a dude with a missing arm and a broken bottle can fight dust bandits in a pinch. I'm referring more to the swarms of dudes you find around artifact sites at times.

That said, dodge tanking is absolutely a thing if you have the stones to try it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
my favorite start so far has been 5 peeps (in this case, Skeletons) that spawns you at the Waystation on the edge of the Grey Desert: you have access to a bar and a 24/7 construction shop with both flavors of Skeleton Repair Kit, lots of books for research, and plenty of resources to get the purchasable tower in town up and running that replenishes often. the tower itself has enough room for whatever storage you might need, a level 6 research bench, and the small wind generators to keep it all running. you get frequent raids as well as nearby wandering camps, both usually sand ninjas, that can be easily kited into the harpoons and killer guards to get your squad kitted out in good light gear that also sells pretty well. having the bandits chasing you get flattened by the orbital lasers that pound the area which your perfect robot body is immune to also never gets old.

I was very annoyed however by the fact a nearby hill I built my first base on was not as unscalable as it looked and ended up being impossible to neatly wall off every part when invaders would clip through the ground like mole men. I found a perfect place in the Fog Islands later which was impregnable save for three narrow paths up, with 100% fertility and tons of stone, copper and iron, but it may be too large because despite walling it off and building an entire city from end to end I'm pretty sure I'm still getting Fog Men randomly spawning inside it--nothing I can't handle now that my bots are decent and fighting now, but still vexing. I imagine it has something to do with having camp spawn settings ratcheted up to max

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay this game never landed with me while it was in Early Access but I guess I'm going to have to get it the next time there's a decent discount.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I get that it's for balance, but it kind of sucks when I put all this effort into walking off my base and creating a choke point around the gate and all these bandits just chop through the walls on the other side of town. Don't really see the point of turrets at that point

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

I'm simultaneously unsurprised and crushingly disappointed that after making 360 kilos of hash and hauling it across a plateau full of death rays, a hell swamp of acid rain and death robots, and a desert full of giant murder bugs, I was only able to pull about 50k of profit because the only source that'll actually buy weed at its insane markup in the UC is the thieves, who cut it in half, are only present in like half the cities, and run out of money after two fistfuls. I ended up having visited every single city without clearing out that bottom row of the inventory and realizing I'd have made ten times as much money mining copper and selling to Squin in all the time it took me to produce this much hash.

Man, this blows. Why even give this stuff a 1400% markup if nobody in the game actually buys it at that? I was assuming I could hawk it to more shops than just like, three.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah drug sales suck

Booze is superior in every way

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The superior money making method is to steal all the chainmail sheets, skeleton repairkits, blueprints, etc in a city and then hoof it to the next where fencing chance will probably be above 100% and clear out every shopkeepers cash. Then do it again

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought I was tough enough to hire a group of mercs to capture the Gorillo King. I took 4 tech hunter mercs and about 12 mid-20's dudes over to the prison tower, thinking, these guys aren't so tough when you hit em with enough blades. I was so, so wrong. The Gorillo King himself Babe-Ruthed a few of my guys straight off the ledges, and his goons one-hit murdered a few others by punching their sternums inwards.

Lesson learned, I didn't bring enough mercs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

The superior money making method is to steal all the chainmail sheets, skeleton repairkits, blueprints, etc in a city and then hoof it to the next where fencing chance will probably be above 100% and clear out every shopkeepers cash. Then do it again

:hai:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Power Walrus posted:

I thought I was tough enough to hire a group of mercs to capture the Gorillo King. I took 4 tech hunter mercs and about 12 mid-20's dudes over to the prison tower, thinking, these guys aren't so tough when you hit em with enough blades. I was so, so wrong. The Gorillo King himself Babe-Ruthed a few of my guys straight off the ledges, and his goons one-hit murdered a few others by punching their sternums inwards.

Lesson learned, I didn't bring enough mercs.

You'd think we'd get blacklisted at some point

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, this was my first save file and the entire goal all along was to make an outpost that just grew a poo poo-ton of weed, then go out and become a weed baron, and then conquer the world with my weed riches.

I'm like 90 days in now and im still considering starting over in annoyance because my crew mostly has 30 as their best stat in anything combat-related and all the rest of their good skills are related to farming, weed, and research. I might restart and just do a low-headcount run where I actually start wandering around and getting into fights to become a kung fu master and see more of the world than just the Border Marches and surrounding environs.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Daeren posted:

Yeah, this was my first save file and the entire goal all along was to make an outpost that just grew a poo poo-ton of weed, then go out and become a weed baron, and then conquer the world with my weed riches.

I'm like 90 days in now and im still considering starting over in annoyance because my crew mostly has 30 as their best stat in anything combat-related and all the rest of their good skills are related to farming, weed, and research. I might restart and just do a low-headcount run where I actually start wandering around and getting into fights to become a kung fu master and see more of the world than just the Border Marches and surrounding environs.

I've got a squad of about 20 guys around the same time stamp and I make plenty of money just wandering around exploring the map. I've got about 5 solid fighters, 5 newbs and the rest somewhere in between. You won't get crazy rich like it seems that you can do with industry, but its more than enough to keep me going and occasionally buy some fancy poo poo.

I bought one building in Hub that I stuck a research bench and some storage into and that's all the real estate that I have.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You'd think we'd get blacklisted at some point

If the Tech Hunters had any sense of self-preservation my faction would be kill-on-sight.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I am genuinely in love with this game.

I started off with a super small scale mining operation just north of the Hub. That sucked and was untenable on account of bandits, but I used my meager profits to go to Squin and hire more men after I got tired of being driven off. I returned and created a larger scale, equally untenable mining operation. I thought "Kang is a million times stronger than myself and Hobbs, and Ruka is OK, surely they can protect me from bandits." I was mistaken. There's really a shocking number of bandits in this place.

I was once again driven out of my mine, and I used my meager profits to go to Stack and hire more men. I suspect you know where this is going. I returned and created an actually pretty nice mining compound. This was good while it was good, then it wasn't. I attracted the attention of the Holy Nation, which was fine. I also attracted the attention of the Band of Bones, which was less fine. A knock-down-drag-out (literally) fight that lasted probably a good two hours of real time ensued. I won, but it wasn't pretty. My miners started more and more to resemble Dust Bandits. When the Black Dragon Ninjas decided to visit, I decided that the mine wasn't worth it.

I stripped the camp of resources just prior to their arrival, and we evacuated with everything of value. A dozen of my worn out miners made the relatively uneventful trek to Squin, and we set up a safe house. Beds, food. No fear. The Shek were rude, but there was no worry of a bandit attack with the Hundred Guardians at the gates. It was liberating, in a way. We had money, too. Nothing crazy, but we weren't scraping by.

We started hunting bandits. Wiping out the local Dust Bandit camps and selling the excess gear. The quality of our weapons and armor slowly improved as we stripped the Dust Bosses of their slightly better stuff. Soon there were two dozen of us. When I turned in the Dust King to the authorities in Squin, I decided that it might be worth revisiting the old mine.

It was abandoned, and it was largely untouched. The walls and gates were damaged, but there was really nothing worth stealing. With the increased manpower and resources, everything advanced quickly. Research, income, resources, defenses. I had nothing worth studying because I didn't have the ancient science or engineering. I had money, but there was nothing worth purchasing in the nearby towns. The resources flowed in, and I had multiple full storage containers for everything I could produce. I could not make food, but it was easily purchased. 50 thousand cats became 100 thousand. A Black Dragon raid was defeated in a hail of crossbow bolts and a tense battle inside of a bughouse. Nothing like the narrow victory over the Band of Bones.

I grew dissatisfied. Why am I harvesting these resources? Who cares? We again stripped the camp of anything valuable. We stashed it in Squin. I had purchased a map from the Tech Hunters that showed an ancient ruin not far to the east. Where else to find ancient science and engineering than a ruin? That was the next step. We stocked up on food, bolts, and sleeping bags. 28 now, we marched east. Nobody stood in our way. Bandit groups fell, crushed by our numbers and strength. We arrived at the edge of a place called the Deadlands. Ruka cursed about Kral's foul tits, and she was right. We couldn't proceed. Most of us, anyway. We had recruited two skeletons in the swamp. We built a camp on the edge of the Deadlands, and the skeletons were sent forth. The location discovered on the map was a warehouse full of angry robots. My skeletons were weak. They moved on. The iron spiders were few and far between. The Black Desert City, though, was actually quite accessible to even weak skeletons. There I found the ancient science and engineering research that I wanted. My skeletons returned, poorer perhaps, but their mission was accomplished. The weapons I saw were beyond what I had ever imagined. I could have purchased some, but I held off. It expanded the scope of my ambitions.

We reoccupied the mine. We made steel and leather. Armor and weapons. Then we abandoned the camp again, setting up in Squin with tremendous resources, smiths producing spectacular goods, squads going off on their various errands around the world. Soon enough, the cycle will repeat. I'll retake my mine when I run low on resources. When I have enough ancient science and engineering to produce something new. Then we'll march off to some far corner of the world when that grows tiresome.

Gorgeous Mohammad
Oct 15, 2009
I'm doing an all hiver no gods, no queens freedom seekers run. I was planning on building a settlement early and keeping mercenaries on hand to protect me since I've never used them. I decide to make my settlement in Gut since it looks cool and the beak things will provide me with all the food and leather I'll ever need. I scout it out, pick a location and head back to town and pick up some mercs. When I get back to the spot I chose I start working on a storm house.

This is when I begin to realize I severely underestimated the beak thing population. The mercenaries kill maybe 10 beak things by the time I finish putting up the house. They're exhausted but more and more beak things continue to show up. The mercenaries put up a valiant fight but are quickly over ran. Now my guys are stuck inside the storm house watching as over 20 beak things break out into a terrible feeding frenzy on the corpses of my brave mercenaries. There are so many beak things going at the bodies that I think they became stuck on each other and turned into an unmoving murder blob right outside my door. In an attempt to get them to move I chose a sacrifice to run outside. However I forgot to put everyone else on passive so as soon as the sacrifice is attacked everyone else runs to his defense and are instantly slaughtered.

Gut is still a pretty little area with alot going for it. I'd like to try and come back to it sometime. I think if I could just get some walls up before attracting dozens of beak things then it wouldn't be too hard to live there.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Gorgeous Mohammad posted:

I'm doing an all hiver no gods, no queens freedom seekers run. I was planning on building a settlement early and keeping mercenaries on hand to protect me since I've never used them. I decide to make my settlement in Gut since it looks cool and the beak things will provide me with all the food and leather I'll ever need. I scout it out, pick a location and head back to town and pick up some mercs. When I get back to the spot I chose I start working on a storm house.

This is when I begin to realize I severely underestimated the beak thing population. The mercenaries kill maybe 10 beak things by the time I finish putting up the house. They're exhausted but more and more beak things continue to show up. The mercenaries put up a valiant fight but are quickly over ran. Now my guys are stuck inside the storm house watching as over 20 beak things break out into a terrible feeding frenzy on the corpses of my brave mercenaries. There are so many beak things going at the bodies that I think they became stuck on each other and turned into an unmoving murder blob right outside my door. In an attempt to get them to move I chose a sacrifice to run outside. However I forgot to put everyone else on passive so as soon as the sacrifice is attacked everyone else runs to his defense and are instantly slaughtered.

Gut is still a pretty little area with alot going for it. I'd like to try and come back to it sometime. I think if I could just get some walls up before attracting dozens of beak things then it wouldn't be too hard to live there.

Yeah the beak things can be pretty brutal, especially against less-adapt troops. And then sometimes there are dozens of them at once.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I find myself enjoying this game much more with crafting and building jacked all the way up and hunger down significantly. You can still spend dozens of hours doing tedious bullshit even with the faster speeds, if you want. But it frees up a lot of time for doing the actual fun stuff: fighting and exploring.

It doesn't feel cheesy at all. Though the game can be cheesy as hell in many other ways, laffo. It really tricked me at first. The game makes you think its gonna be all stern with you but after learning it you realize it will let you get away with any flavor of ridiculous bullshit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I keep my bounties as a badge of honor. They stick once you get to 10k or so and never fade so you can just work on being the most infamous dickhead in the world

Especially when the most infamous dickhead terrorist in this game translates to "guy who frees slaves and is generally an alright human being"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah i'm slowly trying to figure out how to get the first bunch of martial arts points, because after running up and down Squin for like 3 days with a few full backpacks and a dead body on my shoulder i was at 78 strength and realized that one of my punches is doing about as much damage as a hit from one of the guards. if i can get like 20 points of martial arts i imagine i'm going to just be walking around ripping peoples' hearts out like kano.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:allears:

Man, Beep has so much hidden dialogue.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do you actually stage a prison break from Rebirth? I have recruited a couple of extra people and my squad all have 30-ish Stealth, dodge and Strenght, and would be fast enough to run away from people if I managed to find some extra food, but each time I try to run away the guards at the gate beat me up easily.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Coolguye posted:

yeah i'm slowly trying to figure out how to get the first bunch of martial arts points, because after running up and down Squin for like 3 days with a few full backpacks and a dead body on my shoulder i was at 78 strength and realized that one of my punches is doing about as much damage as a hit from one of the guards. if i can get like 20 points of martial arts i imagine i'm going to just be walking around ripping peoples' hearts out like kano.

Just go out and punch a bunch of hungry bandits. You're gonna keep getting knocked out but so long as your actual squad is nearby you'll be fine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, a character with 100 in MA in this game basically turns Kenshi into Fist of the North Star.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once you hit toughness 50 or so you can suddenly stand to have 15 people hit you at once and not get staggered, especially with armor. Because staggers are based on damage taken, modified by toughness. So once you get the gently caress beaten out of you a few times, suddenly it takes you 10x as long to go down and now even lovely attack skills start putting work in.

Also high dodge with clothing that doesn't lower it is hilarious, because you'll spend minutes taking no damage only to suddenly fly kick someone in the head for 90 damage and instantly put them in a coma

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

How do you actually stage a prison break from Rebirth? I have recruited a couple of extra people and my squad all have 30-ish Stealth, dodge and Strenght, and would be fast enough to run away from people if I managed to find some extra food, but each time I try to run away the guards at the gate beat me up easily.

At night unlock all the cages you can as fast as you can and once a bunch of people are following you, throw off your shackles and just make a run for it. Usually the guards will get distracted with NPC escapees. If they don't just keep running, they usually stop following around the time you get to the abandoned shack that should be marked on your map.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where in the hub do i sell stuff and what do i read to get started im just getting flustered and annoyed.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

where in the hub do i sell stuff and what do i read to get started im just getting flustered and annoyed.

You sell stuff in the bar, which is one of the few active buildings in the Hub

I was in the same situation a few days ago as I just bought the game. I think the turning point for me was to set very small, achievable goals. For example, mine copper until I can get into the thieves guild and use their training dummies. Run around periphery of the Hub with my crew until I find some hungry bandits, lure them closer to the gate and then get beat the gently caress up. At one point I saved enough money to buy a house and did some research, but didn't feel like figuring out how to establish an industry yet. I loaded up on food and medicine and traveled to Shek, which is more lively than the Hub (more bandits, more stores, etc).

My first few days playing I spent a lot of time just wandering near the Hub waiting for chance opportunities. At one point a gigantic goat herd wandered by and I used my fastest character to antagonize them into the Hub, where the thieves killed them for me.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

At the bar. Talk to the barman. Talk to Hobbs at the bar.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I played this for what felt like 10 minutes, was slightly overwhelmed. I managed to find Hobbs in Hub and Ruka in Squins and felt like I had a decent party going. We mined some ore and made a few thousand cats. Then I tried to fight one bandit and everyone except Ruka got knocked out. I picked everyone up when some kind of monster ran over and killed the bandit and then my main guy and Hobbs. Ruka kited everything back to Squins and the guards killed all the monsters and bandits. Ruka started selling everything leftover for a pretty huge profit (way better than iron mining) when the game crashed.

I had played for an hour and a half. Glad I didn’t bother customizing my main character at all and went with the default chick named “Meow” because she didn’t last long at all. I figured out how to heal, sleep, and cook. Does sleeping do a good job of healing wounds?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, sleeping on a camp bed heals 4x faster, sleeping on an actual bed heals 8x faster. I guess your next step is to hire another person and give them a medikit in case Ruka goes down again.

I assume you had a skin spider eat you. They suck.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Which makes it all the more satisfying when you come back with a team equipped with decent hackers and planks and chop all their stupid legs off.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Which makes it all the more satisfying when you come back with a team equipped with decent hackers and planks and chop all their stupid legs off.

In my run to go after the bug master and the return (without being able to kill him) I made sure to collect all of the fangs from the skin spiders I killed and put them on a pack beast. I counted them up after getting back to Last Stand and was able to confirm the deaths of 173 skin spiders.

Unfortunately I had used all of my crossbow bolts up before I got to the bug master so he kicked the rear end of my entire squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A guy has been experimenting in kidnapping the stone golem and having her fight the bug master.

It was 2w 5l when I read about it. Her axe is way too heavy for her. He had far better results after chopping off her arms and replacing them with lifter arms.