Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tashilicious posted:

n.. no

no

what

no!

It's delicious!

Don't believe me?

Just ask the dishes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Even robots know that pizza rules are fake

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I, for one, welcome our new pizza rulers.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Is that... ripe, pan-fried plantains and bacon jam on a... biscuit? scone?

If so, absolutely would. But that plate is for like a table of four. It would be hideously rich.

upgrade menu: add coconut milk whipped cream and a drizzle of pineapple syrup for $1.50

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

Even robots know that pizza rules are fake

crab pizza, crab pizza, look like crab, taste like pizza.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

My Mom made, and called it exactly the same thing, so that term has crept as far north as SW Ohio where I grew up. When my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Europe, I saw "goulash" on the menu in an awesome back alley restaurant in Vienna, Austria, and I said, "drat, I'm famished I'll have that". My head literally exploded. Moving out of the, um, "agrarian" part of the state was the best loving decision I ever made in my life. If I hadn't, I would've gone through life thinking "goulash" was macaroni, hamburger, and the cheapest spaghetti sauce you could find (minus cheese, of any kind, which was an abomination unto the face of God). And I wouldn't have met my wife, either.

It's far worse in reverse. I spent the first decade of my life in a soviet-occupied Eastern Bloc country where we had actual goulash (of questionable quality, no doubt) quite often.
As a teenager I came to the US as exchange student. The first time someone tried to cook "goulash" there I thought they were loving with me. It didn't help that the person was averse to using any spices at all, salt included. They also didn't like breaking up the meat as it cooked so you'd end up with giant clumps of unseasoned ground beef in your bland macaroni.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

That's actually 50% Peppermint Schnapps, and 50% DeKuper's Chocolate-Cherry liqueur. It's pretty high octane stuff, so if the glass isn't finished, we keep it in the fridge so the alcohol doesn't evaporate off. I guess we should've at least covered it though.

This is a taste crime. Why did you make a chocolate Robitussin cocktail.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
In my house goulash was peas, corn, egg noodles, onions and chicken in a "cheese" sauce. The sauce was usually one of those big rear end glass jars of queso blanco cheese dip. It was pretty white trash delish.

The worst meal my mom made was poo poo on a shingle or some kind of hamburger helper meal, both were bland as gently caress and so gloppy disgusting. Her cream of mushroom soup chicken was a close third on the scale of gloppy and bland. My dad wasn't a veggie person so we rarely had green stuff. And vegetables were limited to like, potatoes, corn and peas.

If you wanted something made spicy, you threw red pepper flakes on it until you were content.

e: That reminds me, there's this gigantic open-air market nearish Sacramento that I used to go to and they had some little Chinese stall that sold a really basic stir fry of onions, cabbage, noodles and chicken. I have no idea if that stuff was loaded with MSG or if the veggies were just that good because of arriving fresh at the market that day but I would buy a plate and cover it with red pepper flakes and eat it as fast as possible, it was so loving delicious.

empty sea has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jan 8, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

stereobreadsticks posted:

I had never heard of any of this growing up on the west coast. In college I studied abroad in Budapest and naturally ate a ton of actual Hungarian goulash. Years later a co-worker who was originally from Wisconsin brought some "goulash" to an office party. I've never been so disappointed in anything in my life.
That reminds me of how in West Germany, Jägerschnitzel is traditionally a breaded veal cutlet with a mushroom cream sauce, while in the East it's a breaded slice of sausage with noodles and mass-produced thin tomato sauce. If you go from one part to the other without knowing that and visit a cafeteria, it can throw you for a loop.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
drat, I really feel like I lucked out with parents that can cook. My mom is originally from Ohio, so we had a couple weird midwestern dishes that made it to the table on occasion, but I don't recall any of them actually being bad, and she knew how to use the spice rack. I actually get a little nostalgic for her ambrosia sometimes, or that cranberry jello salad she'd make for Thanksgiving.. and for the longest time I couldn't understand kids that don't like fruit or vegetables because I'd never had a gross veggie in my life (okay except maybe brussels sprouts, but I like those now) until I went to someone else's house for dinner.

Conversely, my husband hated pretty much every vegetable except broccoli when he was a kid, and just the other day realized it's probably because he's never had canned broccoli. He likes most vegetables now, but there are still a few he has hangups about. Meanwhile, most of my food hangups are from my dad straight up telling me not to eat something because I won't like it (usually spicy foods), then later trying to goad me into trying new things. Like, it wasn't malicious or anything, but drat there are a lot of things I thought I'd never like just because I'd never tried them before, and if I've never eaten it, it's because I don't like it. :psyduck:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I like spam, but not like this

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Noticed at the store there are like 10 flavors of SPAM now. Who the gently caress is eating SPAM?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
why aren't you?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

sneakyfrog posted:

why aren't you?

I'm on a Slime-Fast diet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
good job ridding the world of natto then I guess

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Noticed at the store there are like 10 flavors of SPAM now. Who the gently caress is eating SPAM?

I am, I think Jalapeno is the best SPAM

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I like spam but it's weirdly expensive for what it is, and also for what it isn't

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

WITCHCRAFT posted:

If so, absolutely would. But that plate is for like a table of four. It would be hideously rich.

upgrade menu: add coconut milk whipped cream and a drizzle of pineapple syrup for $1.50

It was biscuit French toast with bacon, caramelized bananas and whipped peanut butter.

Really good, but if anyone could eat it alone in one sitting, I don't wanna know about it. My leftovers were enough for two more breakfasts.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

tag yourself, etc etc

source

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now there's some loose kerneling.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm still mad my parents threw out their shelf full of 70's and early 80's cook books without asking me first :argh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Now there's some loose kerneling.

:golfclap:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

tag yourself, etc etc

I'm the blunt salad statement unintentionally falling in rhyme with the tenets of the French Revolution

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm the blunt salad statement unintentionally falling in rhyme with the tenets of the French Revolution

It may rhyme, but "no salad as entree" seems pretty far from liberté, friend.

Also they didn't put the accent in entrée, after so carefully using it elsewhere. Lazy work on this AI-generated menu.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Pastry of the Year posted:

tag yourself, etc etc

source

Dehumanize yourself and face Blood Lasagna

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

On second look, A CHEESE is a pretty strong contender.

e: aw man, the forum doesn't do the spaces. Generally: I've seen plenty of printed materials where the letter spacing was just bad, many where it was merely inconsistent, but this is the first one where the only appropriate term is arbitrary.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I'm the   S     N     A     I     L     S       $     1     0     .

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuevo posted:

Simpsons nailed this, I still think of this every time midwest spices comes up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za_KilRD-do
My roommate and I reference this constantly because her whole family is the most Minnesotan people ever when it comes to spices/flavoring of any kind. Meanwhile we have an entire cupboard devoted entirely to herbs/spices/salt varieties.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoth posted:

My roommate and I reference this constantly because her whole family is the most Minnesotan people ever when it comes to spices/flavoring of any kind. Meanwhile we have an entire cupboard devoted entirely to herbs/spices/salt varieties.

When I visited my parents for Christmas, I saw their spice drawer. I'd say about 2/3 of the jars in that drawer had never been opened and still had the plastic seal on them :negative:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Brawnfire posted:

I like spam but it's weirdly expensive for what it is, and also for what it isn't

But it's matchless!

I'm just picturing this being one long tubular olive in the center

Also "luscious glaze"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dixville posted:

But it's matchless!

I'm just picturing this being one long tubular olive in the center

Also "luscious glaze"

Like those Japanese cylinder eggs

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'll be honest, I don't see the point of most other spices when thyme and tarragon exist.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I'll be honest, I don't see the point of most other spices when thyme and tarragon exist.

ban this fool from every continent except europe

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

WITCHCRAFT posted:

LadyPictureShow posted:

It was biscuit French toast with bacon, caramelized bananas and whipped peanut butter.

Really good, but if anyone could eat it alone in one sitting, I don't wanna know about it. My leftovers were enough for two more breakfasts.

You motherfuckers, I am so hungry now and want both of these extremely badly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beef loves clove and nutmeg, this much I'm sure of

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ban this fool from every continent except antarctica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/30/antarctica-job-tips-survive-cold
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...fresh-food.html