Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

As far as we know, Seinfeld doesn't have a button under his desk to lock the door on those 17 year olds that he dates.

Yeah, but NBC probably wouldn't hire a 17 year old so Matt still somehow manages to be less creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did Seinfeld get me tooed and I missed it or something?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He dated a high schooler in the 90's.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Teenage Fansub posted:

He dated a high schooler in the 90's.

#metoo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Who didn't date a high school in the 1990's?

EDIT: schoolER.

I wish I was popular enough to date a whole high school.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 6, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Who didn't date a high school in the 1990's?

That'd be really creepy for several posters here for the opposite reason it's creepy that Seinfeld did it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is the original four-hour cut of Chris Marker's A Grin Without a Cat still available anywhere? Or is the re-edited three-hour version the only one that you can watch nowadays?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is the original four-hour cut of Chris Marker's A Grin Without a Cat still available anywhere? Or is the re-edited three-hour version the only one that you can watch nowadays?

If anyone knows this answer to this I'd be very interested in this too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why did Mission Impossible Fallout get such good reviews? I just watched it last night and it was the most generic action movie I've ever seen. Tom Cruise plays Ethan Hunt, The Man With No Personality, who does generic action things for two hours without cracking a joke. I couldn't ever get a handle on who he was supposed to be -- the fight scene with the Asian guy was great, this guy just clowns on Hunt and Henry Cavill for like fifteen minutes, and I thought okay, this is a secret agent who's getting too old for this poo poo. (Because holy poo poo did Cruise look like a middle-aged dad with a paunch, and not someone who should be thinking about getting in kung fu fights.) But no, the next couple scenes show how Hunt is ACTUALLY a super badass who fights off multiple knife-wielding assailants with no mistakes and doesn't ever look worried. I guess the Asian guy was just an extra-super badass? So then you sit through another hour of by-the-numbers action like car chases and kicking a guy out of a helicopter without Hunt ever smiling or getting upset or saying anything interesting. I mean, it wasn't a TERRIBLE movie, but it was so blah and generic that it felt like they were writing a script for James Bond but they couldn't get the license, so they just stripped out every ounce of character and ran with it anyway.

It sounds like I'm hating on Tom Cruise, but I just watched Edge of Tomorrow too, and I thought he did a great job in that (and actually looked like an action hero). Would I have liked it more if I'd seen the other Mission Impossible movies? I watched the first couple when they came out like twenty years ago. :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm in the same boat in that both of McQuarrie's Mission: Impossible movies have left me feeling really quite cold. Then again, I don't think it's possible for the series to hit the high points of Ghost Protocol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

。Hola SEA!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The Gamera series, not counting flashbacks.

Which? The 90s Gamera flicks have both the ornithologist character Mayumi and Asagi in more than one of them

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 8, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mi: falout was a plot designed around stunt scenes they thought of with little advance planning. Thats why it rules

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mission Impossible movies are very popular overseas. So it's one of those series where the films just have to break even domestically for them to keep cranking out sequels. Kind of like Transformers.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=missionimpossible.htm

Tom Cruise has played Ethan Hunt longer than any actor played James Bond.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Mission Impossible has always required a level of suspension of disbelief that I just couldn't reach, so they've always had a limited appeal for me. I thought Fallout was just ok until the helicopter scene, which is fuckin amazing. But I'd be satisfied with just watching the big action setpieces from these movies by themselves and save myself the hassle of having to slog through two hours of dumb plot.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I quite enjoy them because Tom Cruise has some crazy unmatched level of on screen charisma, plus watching him do all these insane stunts just makes it better. I probably couldn't recount the plot of any of the last three movies but I will swear up and down to how fun they are to watch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

I quite enjoy them because Tom Cruise has some crazy unmatched level of on screen charisma, plus watching him do all these insane stunts just makes it better. I probably couldn't recount the plot of any of the last three movies but I will swear up and down to how fun they are to watch.

I literally walked in on the free climbing scene from, idk MI:2? and was like, dang I kinda wish I was seeing this movie instead

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first and last was MI3 not because it sucked but because I don稚 know how you can top Philip Seymour Hoffman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, you can't. MI3 is the best one. But each following entry is really solid and fun in its own way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

3 was probably my favorite, and that was a big part of why. Watched all except the first 2 in the last few months (mainly because of the Fallout hype) and yeah, Fallout got a bit overhyped.

The IMAX stuff at the end was real nice tho, was waiting for those shots all film.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MI series is great because it's got the best of the Bond style stunts and action set pieces combined with the Fast and Furious your crew is your family spirit.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, you can't. MI3 is the best one. But each following entry is really solid and fun in its own way.

It is also the latest movie I can remember with "rap theme that uses the title of the film"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8nu6mMZOA

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The only "bad" Mission: Impossible movie is the second one, and that's just because it drags and Ethan Hunt is too horny for my liking. The last act rips though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

The only "bad" Mission: Impossible movie is the second one, and that's just because it drags and Ethan Hunt is too horny for my liking. The last act rips though.

I'm still pissed that that was one of the DVDs that was stolen when my apartment was burglarized on Christmas Day 2005.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Timby posted:

I'm still pissed that that was one of the DVDs that was stolen when my apartment was burglarized on Christmas Day 2005.

That sucks. But it would be very funny if that was the only thing stolen from your apartment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

That sucks. But it would be very funny if that was the only thing stolen from your apartment.

They stole my OG Xbox and Super Nintendo, all the video games, a leather jacket, and my frozen pizzas.

They left my beer and all my video equipment and the engagement ring I gave to my ex-wife the next month.

Fuckin' tweakers.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Was number 2 the one where they couldn稚 get enough of masks that look just like other people?

Because that got old after the 2nd or 3rd time they used it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They use it in every movie I think, it's a bit worn out tbh as it kind of opens the door to "why don't you just fix it with a mask" to a bunch of problems.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was number 2 the one where they couldn稚 get enough of masks that look just like other people?

Because that got old after the 2nd or 3rd time they used it.

They used masks like nearly a dozen times in the second one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

EL BROMANCE posted:

They use it in every movie I think, it's a bit worn out tbh as it kind of opens the door to "why don't you just fix it with a mask" to a bunch of problems.

They turned it into a running gag that Simon Pegg never gets to wear one. But they usually only use it once a film, it was used a ton in the second.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, the second one has a ton of masks because the villain has access to the same tech, being a rogue agent, and he uses it not just for heists but to, like, test his girlfriend's loyalty. With the third one on you start seeing scenes of the face-making machine not working right, or ID systems that masks aren't good enough for, presumably to claw back some space for spy missions where they don't solve everything with a quick 3D print.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ghost Protocol specifically has a gag where they can't use a mask.

But then the villain is using one.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The screenplay of 2 is such a mess they just use it every time they write themselves into a corner

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah #2 is the only one I haven't seen (despite owning a copy, I think I bought it second hand specifically to watch the MTV Movie Awards bit again).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The theme song and the masks are the things that connect it to the original tv series (which it is amazingly still in continuity with).

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
The first film was suppoused to end with everyone revealing they were someone else and double-crossing each other. I guess the mask-shenanigans in the second film is residue from that.

It's a very De Palma touch anyway.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The series is so old that in the first one I think the good guys used PC's and the bad guys used Macs. And the top of the line IBM laptop they used was 75mhz and had no USB ports. Oh, and it ran Windows 3.1.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The series is so old that in the first one I think the good guys used PC's and the bad guys used Macs. And the top of the line IBM laptop they used was 75mhz and had no USB ports. Oh, and it ran Windows 3.1.

"Thinking machine laptops? I'm talking about the 686 prototypes, with the artificial intelligence RISC chip..."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

"Thinking machine laptops? I'm talking about the 686 prototypes, with the artificial intelligence RISC chip..."

hahaha

I知 not just talking about my pc, I知 talking about my life. I can稚 seem to get that through to you. I知 not just talking about one system, I知 talking about every user, I知 talking about form, I知 talking about content, I知 talking about interrelationships. I知 talking about Steve, Bill Gates, GNU, Linux.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Timby posted:

Their super secret spy list was on a floppy disk, and at one point Ethan types an email to the mole person using the address:" Max@Job 3:14" , the space is left in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

couldcareless posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I thought he would have some charisma, but in Fallout he was basically completely devoid of personality. He didn't even seem that invested in the job. Stunts were pretty good, though.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Their super secret spy list was on a floppy disk, and at one point Ethan types an email to the mole person using the address:" Max@Job 3:14" , the space is left in.

Holy poo poo, I remember that now. Yeah, I said the last MI movies I'd seen were twenty years ago, but I thought I was exaggerating. First one came out in 1996. We're getting old. :(