Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol the IPI sent me a letter to try and get me to leave the union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What an odd story the petition revoking thing is becoming. The kid candidate had an order of protection placed against him from an ex-girlfriend last year.

https://capitolfax.com/2018/12/18/ives-backs-krupa-even-after-allegations-emerge/

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

KDdidit posted:

What an odd story the petition revoking thing is becoming. The kid candidate had an order of protection placed against him from an ex-girlfriend last year.

https://capitolfax.com/2018/12/18/ives-backs-krupa-even-after-allegations-emerge/

Sounds like the kid might be kind of a piece of poo poo.

Edit: shocking I know

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
We already knew he was a college republican.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Part of me hopes he goes on some Trump inspired angry refusal, shouting "fake news!" during public tirades.

Part of me worries that it might work :ohdear:

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

We already knew he was a college republican.

quote:

The filing in the Circuit Court of Cook County Domestic Violence division describes Krupa as a “controlling” boyfriend who “isolated” Schmidt from her friends, whom he referred to as “liberal faggots.”

checks out

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

KDdidit posted:

Jeanne Ives continues to be the dumbest politician in the state.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love that Kass thought "reporting" this story in a few columns would be a great burn on Madigan (rightfully still makes MM look bad), but it turns out it just brought to light what a weasel the kid is.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mike-madigan-anne-stava-murray-democrat-speaker-legislature-springfield/

I don't remember seeing this come up in the thread, but basically Naperville state rep runs on a campaign of not supporting Madigan for speaker (on account of his workplace harassment inaction) and now she gets threats of retaliation if she does this. Oh and also she was "forcibly kissed" at a dinner but she didn't care to elaborate.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

KDdidit posted:

I love that Kass thought "reporting" this story in a few columns would be a great burn on Madigan (rightfully still makes MM look bad), but it turns out it just brought to light what a weasel the kid is.

Eh, it was a bullshit move regardless of what a scumbag this guy is.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ArgaWarga posted:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/mike-madigan-anne-stava-murray-democrat-speaker-legislature-springfield/

I don't remember seeing this come up in the thread, but basically Naperville state rep runs on a campaign of not supporting Madigan for speaker (on account of his workplace harassment inaction) and now she gets threats of retaliation if she does this. Oh and also she was "forcibly kissed" at a dinner but she didn't care to elaborate.

Why can't politicians at least pretend to be decent people?

the linked article posted:

Stava-Murray also alleges in the letter that she was “forcibly kissed” at a separate dinner with lawmakers, “as were three other first-year female legislators.” A male colleague was not kissed but was greeted with a firm hand on his shoulder.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

LLSix posted:

Why can't politicians at least pretend to be decent people?

My hope is that her coming forward and talking about not just getting kissed but also being harassed about her vote (plus the stuff AOC is doing as an incoming congresswoman) means things are kind of changing or improving, but optimism just seems so pointless these days :smith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
An interesting read about public pensions I saw on capitol on how pensions work and are evaluated.

I'm obviously biased as I have a stake in it but it seems like a fair argument to make.

http://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/funding_public_pensions_-_publish.pdf

Being the paper

https://capitolfax.com/2018/12/18/i-just-dont-see-it-happening/#comment-13064242 posted:

The pension “crisis” is a canard. It was literally created by accounting rules changes that bring public pension accounting into line with private pension accounting. But the two are vastly different, primarily because unlike private businesses, government cannot go out of business.
Illinois pensions are about as well-funded now as they were in 1970, when the current constitution was passed (about 40%). So for the past almost 50 years, Illinois has had a pension funding “crisis.” Yet no fund has run out of money, no payments have been missed, no checks bounced.
Why is this? The answer is that as long as contributions into the system (the state’s contribution, employee contributions and earnings on investments) at least equal the current payouts, the pension system is stable. That’s what has happened in Illinois over the past 50 years, at least long term.
For those of you who are actually willing to think about pensions and why the “crisis” really isn’t one, I encourage you to read the following document, which lays it all out:
http://haasinstitute.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/funding_public_pensions_-_publish.pdf
As this document indicates, 60% funding is probably sufficient for nearly all public pension plans. Moreover, liabilities probably should be amortized over 50 years, not 30 as the accounting rules require. Make these two changes to the underlying math, and you will find that Illinois’ pension funding problem largely goes away. Yes, 40% isn’t 60%, so we do need SOME attention to it, but the Chicken Little “sky is falling” doomsday projections are nothing more than political statements. The IPI, Tribune, etc. hate government and public employee unions. Unfortunately, the accounting industry gave them a sledgehammer to bludgeon public unions in the pension funding issue. But in reality, the issue is largely a non-issue.
What WOULD create a true crisis is changing the system so that current employees no longer pay into the pension funds. Take that funding (and the state matching funding) away, and now you face a situation in which current inflows do not equal current outflows. In this scenario, the pension funds could eventually fail. That’s what the IPI, Tribune, and similar right-wing ideologues want.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Dexo posted:

An interesting read about public pensions I saw on capitol on how pensions work and are evaluated.

I'm obviously biased as I have a stake in it but it seems like a fair argument to make.

Being the paper

In general, you should be skeptical and not welcoming of people who tell you that they can raid your pension and you will be unaffected.

While it's true that a 100% funded ratio is a target and not a requirement, and there are more measures of pension health than just a funding ratio, a cash accounting system like the commenter is suggesting makes the pensions extremely sensitive to demographic shifts. It makes things much harder if you have an aging population (like Illinois has!) or a dropping population (like Illinois has!) Pensions are much more robust if you account for your costs when they are actually incurred at an appropriate interest rate like everywhere else on the planet does.

This is also at odds with most professional discussion on public pension accounting. The debate among the accounting, actuarial, and economic experts has generally been between people who think that pension liabilities have been adequately stated and people who think that pension liabilities have been grossly understated.

Also, that paper takes a much more measured approach than the commenter does - the comment is not at all a summary of the paper.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

esquilax posted:

In general, you should be skeptical and not welcoming of people who tell you that they can raid your pension and you will be unaffected.

While it's true that a 100% funded ratio is a target and not a requirement, and there are more measures of pension health than just a funding ratio, a cash accounting system like the commenter is suggesting makes the pensions extremely sensitive to demographic shifts. It makes things much harder if you have an aging population (like Illinois has!) or a dropping population (like Illinois has!) Pensions are much more robust if you account for your costs when they are actually incurred at an appropriate interest rate like everywhere else on the planet does.

This is also at odds with most professional discussion on public pension accounting. The debate among the accounting, actuarial, and economic experts has generally been between people who think that pension liabilities have been adequately stated and people who think that pension liabilities have been grossly understated.

Also, that paper takes a much more measured approach than the commenter does - the comment is not at all a summary of the paper.

I should say I only quoted the commenter to give a source for where I saw it from.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The pension crisis idea is being pushed by the same people who claimed Social Security would run out when the Baby Boomers started to retire in 2015. And Social Security is still as solvent as it's ever been.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

And the underfunding problem itself was caused by ostriches who think you can just take money from the pension funds without it affecting your ability to pay future obligations

Illinois isn't going to explode in 15 years if we don't fix the pensions. But if we ignore it things will get worse and worse until there is actually a solvency problem. It's a lot like climate change in that respect

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Being the paper

Doesn't this kind of ignore that we're having to borrow to pay those pensions? And we've been backloading those pension bonds?

The problem isn't with pensions, it's with the last generation of politicians that stuck us all with the bill.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/1075514634029928453

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 14, 2021

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

vyelkin posted:

Here's a hosed-up story about the Champaign Police Department:

https://corruptcu.com

Jesus Christ.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

good lord. made me think of this article (in Chicago): https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/bn5a55/city-of-silence-117

in both articles the abused are white males with resources. now imagine if they had been black and poor.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Acab but that post just keep going and going and going and going

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/BlueRoomStream/status/1078339228218654722

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Good piece by wbez on the intermingling between Ed Burke's law practice and city-council duties:

quote:

“His law practice and clients and business interests are so significant that they’re constantly conflicting with the business of the city and his obligations as a public servant,” said Juliet Sorensen, a law professor at Northwestern University and former federal prosecutor in Chicago who wrote a book on public corruption.

In that environment, the clout of an alderman like Burke, who took office in 1969 and is the longest-serving alderman in Chicago history, could be more important than his vote, Sorensen said.

“The fact that he himself doesn’t cast a vote doesn’t necessarily mean that he has zero influence on the matter before the council,” Sorensen added.

Burke earlier this year, for example, presided over a heated three-hour hearing on a taxpayer subsidy for Illinois’ largest Catholic health system, Presence Health, heaping praise on witnesses and sparring with opponents before announcing his abstension during the roll call vote at the end. The subsidy was approved anyway.

Meanwhile, the feds are still mum on any case against him they're building.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Willa Rogers posted:

Good piece by wbez on the intermingling between Ed Burke's law practice and city-council duties:

Meanwhile, the feds are still mum on any case against him they're building.

Not anymore. Stolen from the Chicago thread.

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

Man_of_Teflon posted:

good lord. made me think of this article (in Chicago): https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/bn5a55/city-of-silence-117

in both articles the abused are white males with resources. now imagine if they had been black and poor.

A few years ago I was chilling with my camera on Michigan Ave during a late night storm and briefly pointed my camera at a passing cop car. They immediately slammed on their brakes, got out of the car, told me that by recording them I had committed felony wiretapping, and that if I didn't delete the video I would be arrested. I knew this wasn't the law, but I complied because I didn't want to find out if this was a cop who might be willing to claim he found me pissing on a sidewalk. So many people think "if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" and while my situation turned out to be a non-event, it scares me to think how many people out there have been a victim of cops power tripping over fictitious crimes. Especially since Chicago is leads the nation in false confessions.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Actual filing can be read here re: Burke. I wouldn’t get my hopes up the guy is slippery as an eel and this isn’t his first set of corruption charges (he’s beaten the rest).

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Oracle posted:

Actual filing can be read here re: Burke. I wouldn’t get my hopes up the guy is slippery as an eel and this isn’t his first set of corruption charges (he’s beaten the rest).

He's only been investigated before, never charged or indicted. The feds don't indict someone if they don't have the case made cold. They have some absurdly high conviction rate.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sound Insect posted:

A few years ago I was chilling with my camera on Michigan Ave during a late night storm and briefly pointed my camera at a passing cop car. They immediately slammed on their brakes, got out of the car, told me that by recording them I had committed felony wiretapping, and that if I didn't delete the video I would be arrested. I knew this wasn't the law, but I complied because I didn't want to find out if this was a cop who might be willing to claim he found me pissing on a sidewalk. So many people think "if you do nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" and while my situation turned out to be a non-event, it scares me to think how many people out there have been a victim of cops power tripping over fictitious crimes. Especially since Chicago is leads the nation in false confessions.

when i lived in Chicago and still when I talk about Chicago people talk about all of the violence in the city and ask about how dangerous it was and stuff like that (I'm from Iowa so that's kind of the conception of big cities, especially Chicago which is seen as some sort of hell hole unless you're between Michigan Ave and Wrigley Field), and I try to explain that the police are way scarier than any gang violence or other horrible fate they might imagine would befall someone. I lived in Rogers Park so it's not like there was never any violence around (but definitely not much in the way of coordinated gang poo poo) but you can't really be scared of that because there's not really a face to put to that unless you're just really racist. The police on the other hand, they drive around in their cars and are on foot and make themselves plenty known. ACAB for sure.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Burke resigns from head of Finance Committee. Rahm 'asked' him to. This poo poo appears to be serious. Interesting. Also the picture in this article makes him look a freakin' old school mafia don, right down to the pinky ring.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looks like a lot of mayoral candidates are tied up with Burke. Toni might have it the worst. The donation was for her campaign and she's got one of Burke's moron kids on the payroll for like $125k a year.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Looks like a lot of mayoral candidates are tied up with Burke. Toni might have it the worst. The donation was for her campaign and she's got one of Burke's moron kids on the payroll for like $125k a year.

Eddie Jr.'s not on the payroll anymore (he resigned a couple months ago) but they had hired him to run the county's emergency-preparedness program, usual a master's degree job, and he has a bachelor's. He couldn't even provide proof he was actually working at certain times for which he was paid.

Some story about Jr. mentioned that the Shakman decree just expired. From the suntimes story:

quote:

“I am proud of the work we’ve done over the last eight years to bring this suit to conclusion and, as Mike Shakman said, this is a good day for Cook County government and a good day for the people of Cook County,” Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle said, calling the decision a “substantial milestone.”

There were no objections and no one spoke in opposition to the decision, which will effect about 10,500 employees offices Preckwinkle oversees, including the Cook County Health and Hospitals System, the Office of the Independent Inspector General and the Public Defender.

The jungle primary is next month, right? Have there been any recent polls?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Eddie Jr.'s not on the payroll anymore (he resigned a couple months ago) but they had hired him to run the county's emergency-preparedness program, usual a master's degree job, and he has a bachelor's. He couldn't even provide proof he was actually working at certain times for which he was paid.

Some story about Jr. mentioned that the Shakman decree just expired. From the suntimes story:

The jungle primary is next month, right? Have there been any recent polls?

Apparently the Chicago Federation of Labor did a poll recently, but I can't find the actual poll. All I found were some articles that reference Mendoza and Preckwinkle would go to a runoff, and Mendoza would likely win a runoff. Had Preckwinkle at 21% and Mendoza at 16%.

The race is really just getting started since petition signatures were certified right before the holidays. I have zero clue who I'm voting for.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Neal Sales-Griffin is a leftist tech nerd, so he's the Gooniest candidate.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah, I’ve got no idea who I’m voting for. I was leaning Toni but she’s had a lot of stuff (Burke, the sexual harassment accusation) where she has no decent response.

Lol at progressive organizations that are behind Toni that loudly complain about Eniya taking money from Kanye but silent about Burke.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

There's no perfect choice but I am leaning towards Amara as the person who most gives a poo poo about all of Chicago. Also she is a badass athlete and smart person and I trust she will have an adminstration not full of traditional Chicago-style shitheads.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I get a weekly text spam from Paul Vallas still. Can't unsubscribe from it either.

Amara would probably be my choice right now. Everyone else just seems terrible.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea, after a little bit of extra research, I'm leaning Amara for my usual progressive vote that 5% of the other electorate votes for. It's interesting this time around because there seem to be multiple viable candidates from the large bases that could split a lot of votes. Chico and Mendoza could be splitting that latin vote, Preckwinkle and Wilson could split the African-American vote, and Daley, Vallas, and McCarthy could split the white vote. Very real possibility that the "winner" of the first election doesn't even crack 30%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

hmm Mendoza made a progressive property tax proposal and then immediately backed away from it

https://capitolfax.com/2019/01/08/mendoza-floats-tiered-property-tax-system/