Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I checked my weight for the first time since Thanksgiving, and I’ve added an impressive 15 pounds in that 6 weeks. On the other hand, I just tied my squat PR (albeit one that’s not remotely impressive in any objective sense), one that was set 4 years and 1 knee surgery ago. I guess the object lesson is fear my mighty love handles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Intruder posted:

I was gifted one for Christmas. I'm currently marinating some chicken overnight to try this

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/belizean-stewed-chicken-instant-pot-low-carb/

I was just using mine last night and realized I may have forgotten to recommend one of the best things to get: the non-stick ceramic inner pot.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Thaddius the Large posted:

I checked my weight for the first time since Thanksgiving, and I’ve added an impressive 15 pounds in that 6 weeks. On the other hand, I just tied my squat PR (albeit one that’s not remotely impressive in any objective sense), one that was set 4 years and 1 knee surgery ago. I guess the object lesson is fear my mighty love handles?

You have truly obtained the GAINZ.

If I'm to believe the scale that was at my sister's place along with my bathroom scale I've been using, I gained then lost some weight over the holidays. I'm still about 20-30lbs over what I want to be, and now I know I need a complete nutrition overhaul to help me hit my goals. Right now I'm debating if daily caloric reduction and/or intermittent fasting is the way to go. Goons that have done either/both, what say you?

(Yeah the smartest thing would be to talk to my doctor & get referred to by a nutritionist)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

amputate a limb

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Intermittent fasting actually works by basically tricking you into limiting your calories. Just count your calories.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Intermittent fasting actually works by basically tricking you into limiting your calories. Just count your calories.

Eh, not really. You consume the same amount of calories just over a shorter window than normal.

But I do agree that AA should track his calories to see how many he is consuming and adjust accordingly.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Both of you prepare your full thesis to support your argument by Friday.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I also gained 15lbs over the holidays. My beer advent calendar was a bad idea that only compounded the problem. And even after I get back to where I started I still have another 30-40 I want to lose.

I’ve started intermittent fasting again. It works really well for me but got hard to keep up with over the holidays due to weird schedules. And once I recover from the muscle I pulled in my back last week I’m gonna start swinging kettle bells again.

My resolution this year is to drop 50lbs which includes the 15 I gained recently and I think it’s totally doable.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is there an american diet where I can eat as much as I want, but simply only gain a small amount of nutrients and poo poo out the rest? Like a diet if you wanted to eat at Cheesecake Factory every day.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Kalli posted:

Is there an american diet where I can eat as much as I want, but simply only gain a small amount of nutrients and poo poo out the rest? Like a diet if you wanted to eat at Cheesecake Factory every day.

Only eat vegetables.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Popcorn is pretty healthy for something you can eat a lot of actually especially if you get regular popcorn not the cheddar or kettle corn varieties, and you poop it out mostly

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
5 pounds of creamed spinach for every meal, gotcha.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Only eat vegetables.

well all right

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I got a gift card for Cheesecake Factory for Christmas. I kind of just want to give it away. I definitely don't want to eat there.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

I got a gift card for Cheesecake Factory for Christmas. I kind of just want to give it away. I definitely don't want to eat there.

I volunteer as tribute

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My brother-in-law joked that Cheesecake Factory is a good 1st date spot as their menu is so ridiculously varied you & your date will find something to eat.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A slice of that cheesecake and the lowest calorie salad still clocks in at 2000 calories.

Man you could pretty trivially hit a 4k meal there

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

cheesecake factory is just gross

the food is gross

everyone is fat and dumb

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Cheesecake Factory is Applebees for basic whites in their 30s, the kind that wear clarks boots and think a bushy beard is a replacement for personality or culture

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Speaking of fat, dumb people and bad food, the department next to mine had a potluck in December. Here was the big hit:

This was on a piece of paper printed and delivered to all of our desks because of popular demand. The two guys I sit with got in and were over the moon about having this recipe. "I'm going to make this tonight" and "I've been asking her for this for weeks because it was so good".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i think that outside the obscene amount of thousand island that looks pretty solid.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Salad

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Lmao that looks awful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

like kraft has a fat free cheese that's just good enough to trick you and you could measure out your proportions pretty easily.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

FizFashizzle posted:

i think that outside the obscene amount of thousand island that looks pretty solid.

It wasn't too bad, just bland, but someone had to wait a month for this recipe to be printed out before they could attempt it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

I’m just imagining them calling this a “healthier version of a Big Mac!”

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Managed to limit the amount of junk food I got for Christmas but screwed it up because Christmas candy was like 90% off and ended up bringing a bunch home anyhow.:sweatdrop:

I have no New Year's resolution but will be looking into restricting my calorie intake in the coming months. Think I'm going to start dialing back on beer. Only averaging a beer a day now and my aim is going to be to cut back on quantity in favor of quality. Maybe set aside one night where I open up a number of something nice.

This is also tricky because when my local bottle shop puts things on clearance they don't gently caress around. If the owner wants something out the door it's probably going to end up 80% off and I'm a cheap, cheap man.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

with the proper amount of lettuce: 1 Bag

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Speaking of fat, dumb people and bad food, the department next to mine had a potluck in December. Here was the big hit:

This was on a piece of paper printed and delivered to all of our desks because of popular demand. The two guys I sit with got in and were over the moon about having this recipe. "I'm going to make this tonight" and "I've been asking her for this for weeks because it was so good".

That recipe sounds boring as gently caress and has completely out of wack proportions. Cut the beef in half and cook it with 2 strips of bacon. Cut the "chedder" cheese to 1/4c sprinkled on top. And cut that ungodly amount of dressing to like 2 tbsp.

Actually I'm gonna make that because it sounds like a decent alternative to taco salad.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I really love her podcast. It always puts me in a good mood.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

one dill pickle

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
3/4 cup dressing jesus christ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

one of my two new years resolutions has been losing about twenty pounds and really focusing on my health after my first quarter of grad school. things flew off the rails for a lot of reasons. The main thing is I don't have that structure of a competitive crossfit gym. For the past six or seven years, I always had that thought in my head that I was training for a cf competition, and that's gone. Even if I was, I'd just embarrass myself at this point. The elbow is shot, the lungs are gone, and everything is starting to hurt all the time.

The diet im doing it RP. It's nothing fancy, just periodization to keep my insulin sensitivity high. A typical meal will be 5 oz meat, 50 oz carbs, 1/2 serving of fats, small serving of veggies (i do chopped up cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes with a splash of balsamic vinegar) etc. You eat 3-4 times a day. With these diets I've found it's best to just forget about what you're eating and think of it as something you have to do. I eat a lot of ground turkey and brown rice.

I'm having a lot of trouble motivating myself to go to the gym. I have a fine gym and people are friendly there, but I miss doing crossfit. I did some workouts over my break and it was distressing how badly ive lost my lungs. It took me a long time to get good at crossfit, but man did I get bad fast. Here, it's really rough to commit to a CF schedule. Classes are when they are, and if I can't get there, I can't get there. I almost have to have just a regular gym to fit in my fitness when I can, since the studying is so insane.

On top of that, without much info on how to do a regular gym routine, I've been doing an old tried but true weightlifting program I've always loved.

Even if you don't do the oly lifting, this will do the trick for you

http://jaredenderton.com/lsu-shreveport-lifting-program/

Even then, with something I've always loved doing, it's really hard for me to find the motivation. And this is when I'm still on break. I don't know what I'm going to do once school starts back. I've never really done a tried and true body building program and i think i'd hate it. Maybe train as a power lifter (my back squat and deadlift are respectable) but my bench press is pathetic.

I bought an assault bike for my apartment I hardly ever use.

Sigh. I think I might just buy a crossfit membership over here and try my best to make it work. maybe i should just start doing steroids.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

one of my two new years resolutions has been losing about twenty pounds and really focusing on my health after my first quarter of grad school. things flew off the rails for a lot of reasons. The main thing is I don't have that structure of a competitive crossfit gym. For the past six or seven years, I always had that thought in my head that I was training for a cf competition, and that's gone. Even if I was, I'd just embarrass myself at this point. The elbow is shot, the lungs are gone, and everything is starting to hurt all the time.

The diet im doing it RP. It's nothing fancy, just periodization to keep my insulin sensitivity high. A typical meal will be 5 oz meat, 50 oz carbs, 1/2 serving of fats, small serving of veggies (i do chopped up cucumbers and peppers and tomatoes with a splash of balsamic vinegar) etc. You eat 3-4 times a day. With these diets I've found it's best to just forget about what you're eating and think of it as something you have to do. I eat a lot of ground turkey and brown rice.

I'm having a lot of trouble motivating myself to go to the gym. I have a fine gym and people are friendly there, but I miss doing crossfit. I did some workouts over my break and it was distressing how badly ive lost my lungs. It took me a long time to get good at crossfit, but man did I get bad fast. Here, it's really rough to commit to a CF schedule. Classes are when they are, and if I can't get there, I can't get there. I almost have to have just a regular gym to fit in my fitness when I can, since the studying is so insane.

On top of that, without much info on how to do a regular gym routine, I've been doing an old tried but true weightlifting program I've always loved.

Even then, with something I've always loved doing, it's really hard for me to find the motivation. And this is when I'm still on break. I don't know what I'm going to do once school starts back. I've never really done a tried and true body building program and i think i'd hate it. Maybe train as a power lifter (my back squat and deadlift are respectable) but my bench press is pathetic.

Sigh. I think I might just buy a crossfit membership over here and try my best to make it work. maybe i should just start doing steroids.

Do you even have 20 lbs of fat to lose?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Good luck Fiz. I’ve been taking a med that damages my tendons and ligaments for the last 4 months and basically just go to the gym to stretch and do cossack squats and pushups. Once I get off the med in March I plan on unleashing the beast but I feel like I can barely bench my bodyweight and a weight I used to squat for sets of 10 I can barely do twice

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you even have 20 lbs of fat to lose?

yeah i've gotten fluffy. I'm about at 200 right now. When I first started crossfit and was eating hard paleo, I was at about 165. That's the lowest I ever got. Mind you im only about 5'10 so that was really loving lean, like 8% bf. Also that was before I really got strong.

My ideal weight is probably around 180-185. I'd like to maybe get down to 175 just to see. I'm getting older and I can definitely feel the metabolism slowing down.

Also the drinking got really bad last quarter. I'd like to think I could stop but I need something to fill the void. Maybe that's making pickles I dunno. Weed doesn't work on me at all sadly.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I think I might actually try to start lifting a bit this year, but I've never done it at all outside of some directionless messing around in high school. I theoretically belong to Planet Fitness, but have no experience actually using any of the weights or machines, I more or less just treadmill occasionally.

Do you all know if there is a decent beginner program / guide for someone who knows literally nothing about the proper way to perform the exercises or how to use the machines correctly (if I'm not using free weights. I'd probably prefer to start on machines, since the free weights area at the gym is filled with people who know what they are doing and look intimidating). Like looking at the above link, I'm not entirely sure what RM is (is this a max you can do 10 times?), or how to do most of those things / even close to what amounts of weight to start with to not kill myself.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Good luck Fiz. I’ve been taking a med that damages my tendons and ligaments for the last 4 months and basically just go to the gym to stretch and do cossack squats and pushups. Once I get off the med in March I plan on unleashing the beast but I feel like I can barely bench my bodyweight and a weight I used to squat for sets of 10 I can barely do twice

It can't be easy on the joints to be constantly put in figure fours and sharpshooters

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Substandard posted:

I think I might actually try to start lifting a bit this year, but I've never done it at all outside of some directionless messing around in high school. I theoretically belong to Planet Fitness, but have no experience actually using any of the weights or machines, I more or less just treadmill occasionally.

Do you all know if there is a decent beginner program / guide for someone who knows literally nothing about the proper way to perform the exercises or how to use the machines correctly (if I'm not using free weights. I'd probably prefer to start on machines, since the free weights area at the gym is filled with people who know what they are doing and look intimidating). Like looking at the above link, I'm not entirely sure what RM is (is this a max you can do 10 times?), or how to do most of those things / even close to what amounts of weight to start with to not kill myself.

What you really want is a basic wendler program, or a starting strength. There's a million of them and I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

You want to aim for something that focuses primarily on the main slow lifts (deadlift, squat variation, press variation) and then adds in some accessory work after. There's lot of ways to break it up: 3 - 5 day splits, depending on your schedule.

The only thing is that you really need a trainer to help in the early days. Once you spend a few months learnign the lifts and figuring out how to stretch and take care of yourself, you can go off on your own. It's really important in the beginning though to build a good technique foundation, and for that you really need a coach. posting videos to the internet is fine, but it doesn't beat someone being there and teaching you as you go.

If there's a weightlifting gym in your town, they'll have coaches available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I've gone back and forth with RP since I asked you about it like a year ago lol I just can't bring myself to buy it for whatever reason. Could be because I'm pretty happy with my regimen right now but I do think I want to take it to another level in 2019 so I may end up pulling the trigger on it soon.

I hear ya on how quickly it goes away though, it's kind of crazy you can devote so much time and energy to building yourself up, years in fact, then in a matter of months your body is like lol yea not so fast fatty after a month or two.