Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I do my best to like Aqua because the only alternative is to hope they do something with Kairi and it never happens. Even when she's the secret end of game stinger reveal they do nothing with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I like Aqua.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aqua is at the normal level of stupid for a KH character
Terra is on some next-level poo poo tho

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

chumbler posted:

Aqua is the only competent person in BBS and possibly all of Kingdom Hearts

Sora is the most competent person in Kingdom Hearts because he murdered the gently caress out of the problems everyone else caused.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Terra is overall dumber but I wanna give a special shoutout to Ventus who has my favorite opening to any KH game ever.

Where he's laying in bed checking out a wooden keyblade and he suddenly turns to see a man in a black and red muscle suit, with a full helmet just standing around in his room. Maked Man tells him "Terra might do something iunno" then OPENS A DARK PORTAL AND JUMPS IN and Ventus doesn't tell their master, doesn't tell aqua. He tells no one. Because he instantly trusts the weird evil boy.

:psyduck:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Aqua is the closest to a badass character in KH so I hope she gets more PC roles someday.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/1082683538560962560

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What is this pervasive insistence that Aqua is smart or competent? She’s literally been wandering around in the dark lost for a decade.

Say whatever you want about Sora, even Mickey couldn’t do jack poo poo without his help.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Renoistic posted:

Aqua is the closest to a badass character in KH so I hope she gets more PC roles someday.
Sora got way more poo poo done than her what game series are you even playing?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Aqua not being the one to gently caress everything up (even though she kinda did unknowingly by saving Terranort) feels less because she's smart and more because no one else in the plot actually cared about her. Terra would be a lot less effective if Xehanort hadn't taken a liking to him. Aqua's just ignored.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The only thing Aqua did that helped the main plot along was beat up possessed Venture and then taking him to Castle Oblivion.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

melodicwaffle posted:

Personally I find the people who fawn over her and call her a waifu infinitely weirder, because fixing people's messes is not a substitute for having an actual personality.

Again, different strokes.

Stop judging me and my waifu ok

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

melodicwaffle posted:

Personally I find the people who fawn over her and call her a waifu infinitely weirder, because

because calling a character your waifu is inherently weird?

melodicwaffle posted:

because fixing people's messes is not a substitute for having an actual personality..

oh uh ok that works too I guess

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like Aqua because she’s a female playable character in a series with very few women and I am a women and like playing as ladies because in most games you can only play as men.

That’s what it is for me, and I know several people who feel the same way. Maybe if Kairi was playable and also showed the personality she sort of had at the beginning of KHI, I’d have choices.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

I like Aqua because she’s a female playable character in a series with very few women and I am a women and like playing as ladies because in most games you can only play as men.

That’s what it is for me, and I know several people who feel the same way. Maybe if Kairi was playable and also showed the personality she sort of had at the beginning of KHI, I’d have choices.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure she's going to be playable in this game.

Kairi should be but we'll see how that goes

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Burkion posted:

If it helps, I'm pretty sure she's going to be playable in this game.

Kairi should be but we'll see how that goes

I think they did reveal a combat model for Kairi as well, but again we need to see how that ultimately goes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unlucky7 posted:

I think they did reveal a combat model for Kairi as well, but again we need to see how that ultimately goes.

I'm now picturing Kairi as a mecha, thanks

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Nomura Batman but it's Kairi.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This isn’t Xenoblade Chronicles

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Augus posted:

because calling a character your waifu is inherently weird?

...yes? Unless it's being done to make fun of the weebs who say it seriously.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Aqua not being the one to gently caress everything up (even though she kinda did unknowingly by saving Terranort) feels less because she's smart and more because no one else in the plot actually cared about her. Terra would be a lot less effective if Xehanort hadn't taken a liking to him. Aqua's just ignored.

The same could be said for Sora in KH1 tbf.

The BBS characters just kinda suffer from being made to be tragic and sad. I still think Terra and Aqua come out as pretty ok in the end, but Ven is kinda lame.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
EDIT: Sorry, I was ranting

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 8, 2019

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

TheLoneStar posted:

Sora got way more poo poo done than her what game series are you even playing?

Judging by 0.2 and that extra scenario in KH2 she's been fighting heartless in their home turf for like +10 years. They have plenty of time to turn her into a damsel but you got to admit that's pretty badass.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not even that he took a liking to Terra. His plan was always to body swap, and his choices were a skinny teenage boy, a skinny woman with a ballerina’s body, or a giant, ripped dude with an awesome head of hair, seems like the choice is clear when you consider all he ever cares about is more power.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It looks like this game still uses the camera from 0.2 and not the camera from KH2. Which sucks because KH2 had way better camera controls

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s not even that he took a liking to Terra. His plan was always to body swap, and his choices were a skinny teenage boy, a skinny woman with a ballerina’s body, or a giant, ripped dude with an awesome head of hair, seems like the choice is clear when you consider all he ever cares about is more power.

Well he also used the power of darkness by himself briefly, and would be easier to manipulate because he didn't become a master.

This is also the world where a talking mouse is the strongest being alive

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Aqua’s fuckups are miles less than Terra or Ven, but at the end of the day, they’re all students of Master Fuckup

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Renoistic posted:

Judging by 0.2 and that extra scenario in KH2 she's been fighting heartless in their home turf for like +10 years. They have plenty of time to turn her into a damsel but you got to admit that's pretty badass.

According to 0.2 (and Ansem's reports in 2, which for a long time I thought were talking about the realm in-between separate from the realm of light and dark but is apparently talking about the realm of darkness) time does not flow in the realm of darkness, so while in the realm of light it was ten years from Aqua's perception it could very well have only felt like a couple of hours.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gologle posted:

According to 0.2 (and Ansem's reports in 2, which for a long time I thought were talking about the realm in-between separate from the realm of light and dark but is apparently talking about the realm of darkness) time does not flow in the realm of darkness, so while in the realm of light it was ten years from Aqua's perception it could very well have only felt like a couple of hours.

She clearly feels like she's been there for a long time. She comments on how long it's been constantly. Maybe not 10 years, and she hasn't really visibly aged, but a long time.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Linear Zoetrope posted:

She clearly feels like she's been there for a long time. She comments on how long it's been constantly. Maybe not 10 years, and she hasn't really visibly aged, but a long time.

Yeah. If I remember right she even talks about how it’s only a matter of time before she loses her drat mind and goes bonkers.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Aqua deserves a better plot than playing mom to her buddies.

Billzasilver posted:

Aqua’s fuckups are miles less than Terra or Ven, but at the end of the day, they’re all students of Master Fuckup
Yeah, the real stupidest character in the Kingdom Hearts franchise is Square itself

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Greyarc posted:

Aqua deserves a better plot than playing mom to her buddies.
Does she? Does she really? Though honestly her "cleaning up after the boys" situation is played up in the fanbase way more than what's in the game itself.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finished platinum for BBS, it was an alright game. I think I enjoyed the Armor of Eraqus fight the most because it changed for the characters. The unknown was a pretty flashy fight but it is really cheap. Ice cream beat can die in a fire though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 9, 2019

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

TheLoneStar posted:

Does she? Does she really? Though honestly her "cleaning up after the boys" situation is played up in the fanbase way more than what's in the game itself.

Yeah? She's one of the smarter people in the cast despite growing up sheltered thanks to Eraqus, and her lawful good stance would be an interesting balance to Sora's wreck-em-all style of heroism. Plus, after her stint in Darkness Land she could probably swap a lot of thoughts with Riku. Her being from an older generation would give another viewpoint to the newer crew, too. With more experience, she should now be a Master like Eraqus was trying to be, except, you know, wise.

And the "cleaning up after the boys" thing is kind of her whole main story in BBS, so hard to play it up more than it already is.

Your last four posts have all been dunking on Aqua, so trust me, you've gotten your opinion on her across. It's pretty drat depressing that any time someone dares to like a female character, some people assume she's only liked because she's a waifu or some junk. Sometimes, people like female characters because they think they're good (or can be good) as plain old characters.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Decided to just check out the recap video in the OP because BBS would probably take me too long and I would not get anything done in DDD because I would be too busy playing with my Meow Wow.

If...they can pull off all the plotlines converging in KH3, it would be impressive. It will probably be a mess. It is likely going to be a little bit of both.

Also interesting is that DDD seems kind of like Chain of Memories in that they are rather elaborate table setting games that establishes the new villains while also explaining away why Sora had a power reset.

Also, KH characters look weird in UE4. Not to say it wouldn't grow on me, but...yeah.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

^that's what monster's inc sora and toy story sora are there for, to make regular sora not seem so weird.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Greyarc posted:

Yeah? She's one of the smarter people in the cast despite growing up sheltered thanks to Eraqus, and her lawful good stance would be an interesting balance to Sora's wreck-em-all style of heroism. Plus, after her stint in Darkness Land she could probably swap a lot of thoughts with Riku. Her being from an older generation would give another viewpoint to the newer crew, too. With more experience, she should now be a Master like Eraqus was trying to be, except, you know, wise.

And the "cleaning up after the boys" thing is kind of her whole main story in BBS, so hard to play it up more than it already is.

Your last four posts have all been dunking on Aqua, so trust me, you've gotten your opinion on her across. It's pretty drat depressing that any time someone dares to like a female character, some people assume she's only liked because she's a waifu or some junk. Sometimes, people like female characters because they think they're good (or can be good) as plain old characters.
It's kind of what Augus said earlier, she's about normal-level stupid for a Kingdom Hearts character. I mean sure she's smarter than Terra or Ventus, but that's not really saying much.

Aside from Enchanted Dominion and Deep Space, her story isn't like that at all.

Well the discussion has been about Aqua a lot lately, so I'm discussing her in multiple posts, yes. That's sort of the point of a forum. And I love how you're trying to pull that strawman argument with a straight face.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Do you guys think we'll see significantly more of young xehanort playing chess with young eraqus?

Do you think young eraqus was even more stupid as a child than as an adult?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Eraqus is a stupid name, I don't care about the dumb backwards thing. It's dumb. Oh poo poo, I just received a ransom note from the villainous Ibojnihs!!!!!!!!! I love Eraqus now!!!!

Anywho, I like Aqua. She basically plays straight man to the dumb everything of the franchise. Sometimes she herself let's the dumb get to her. That's okay, I still trust her. She's a good _______-year old kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Eraqus is a stupid name, I don't care about the dumb backwards thing. It's dumb. Oh poo poo, I just received a ransom note from the villainous Ibojnihs!!!!!!!!! I love Eraqus now!!!!

Anywho, I like Aqua. She basically plays straight man to the dumb everything of the franchise. Sometimes she herself let's the dumb get to her. That's okay, I still trust her. She's a good _______-year old kid.

she's like Sora in a lot of ways, because she cares about her friends and she will just do whatever to protect them without thinking about it, even if that includes sealing herself in the dark world for years.

she seems to have a much better grasp of what's going on in general than Sora, though, which I guess isn't saying much.