Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

berzerkmonkey posted:

In my personal experience, Army Painter paints tend to be gritty and I haven't had good luck with them.

As for your dread, if you are going to spray Mephiston Red from the rattlecan, you won't need a primer. The GW sprays are primers AND base paints.

You definitely don't want to be spraying inside the house. Do you have a garage or car port attached to the house?

Yeah, apart from the washes, I haven't been too inclined to buy any more Army Painter paints (save for their rattle cans, since they're a bit cheaper than Citadel)

With the Mephiston Red paint, my worry was more so that the blue plastic would still show up a bit through the paint, and make it look purple-ish or something. I was just thinking of doing a undercoat in a more neutral color first before spraying the red on.

I don't have a garage or carport. I could probably spray from the shed door, but it would still be affected by the humidity.

I should clarify that when I was talking about working inside the house, I was referring to using the Tamiya Plastic Cement. When I want to assemble something, I do it out in the shed for ventilation, and I wear simple respirator mask. However, it'd be easier and more convenient if I could do it inside. I thought if I set up a fan in the window to blow air out and wore the mask, I'd be okay, but I don't know if that would suffice as proper ventilation, and even if it did, I think the smell would still linger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Badablack posted:

P3 paints are great, the Menoth highlight is like the perfect white and they’re actually easier to airbrush for me than a lot of other stuff (with proper thinning and mixing) but drat if P3 didn’t look at GW’s awful flip top pots and decide the could outdo them in lovely paint pot design.

At the very least, the P3 pots actually seal, so the paints don't just randomly dry out on your desk.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, apart from the washes, I haven't been too inclined to buy any more Army Painter paints (save for their rattle cans, since they're a bit cheaper than Citadel)

With the Mephiston Red paint, my worry was more so that the blue plastic would still show up a bit through the paint, and make it look purple-ish or something. I was just thinking of doing a undercoat in a more neutral color first before spraying the red on.

I don't have a garage or carport. I could probably spray from the shed door, but it would still be affected by the humidity.

I should clarify that when I was talking about working inside the house, I was referring to using the Tamiya Plastic Cement. When I want to assemble something, I do it out in the shed for ventilation, and I wear simple respirator mask. However, it'd be easier and more convenient if I could do it inside. I thought if I set up a fan in the window to blow air out and wore the mask, I'd be okay, but I don't know if that would suffice as proper ventilation, and even if it did, I think the smell would still linger.

If you're worried how the red paint will look over blue plastic, there's an easy way to find out, just spray it onto a piece of sprue, and see how it looks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, I picked up GW's retributor gold spray because I'm very lazy and I have a problem: the spray is a much lighter tone than the potted paint, which is almost brassy. This is kind of an issue because I need to touch things back up and was hoping for a relatively simple basecoat-contrast-detail scheme to expedite painting; does anyone know a gold that does match retributor gold (spray)?

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Have you tried going over it again? Remember aerosol paints are by necessity way thinner than the potted ones. The colour beneath will affect it much more.

Two thin coats and all that.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I have the same experience with the spray tbf, even with multiple thin coats. It's pretty close but not quite as warm a gold as the pot. I just go over with a very quick thin coat of the potted stuff after spraying. Same goes for the macragge blue spray for my ultras, it's a slightly different tone to the pot.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-postin

Kitbashed a Necromancer for my Legion of Nagash. Added some green to tie him in with the Nighthaunt units (just a tiny bit)

Get my airbrush setup in a few weeks, so a few more green dudes to go before I tackle the bigger stuff.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
xpost!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Does anyone here have any experience with using water effects on a base? I need advice on how to contain it to the base and have the water right up to the bases edge.

Specifically, I intend to base my Drycha as if she is stepping from a stream onto the stream bank. I can easily do everything but the stream itself easily, but I don't know what to use as a buffer dam to keep the water effects confined to the base while it dries.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with using water effects on a base? I need advice on how to contain it to the base and have the water right up to the bases edge.

Specifically, I intend to base my Drycha as if she is stepping from a stream onto the stream bank. I can easily do everything but the stream itself easily, but I don't know what to use as a buffer dam to keep the water effects confined to the base while it dries.

A thin piece of plasticard, bent to follow the curve of the base, and hotglued on to make sure it seals?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I use plastacine. Water right and moldable to how you want to block off areas.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've seen people use just painters masking tape to dam up for water effects/resin.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Who was the goon with the dope beach tau? Those bases are really cool.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Who was the goon with the dope beach tau? Those bases are really cool.

I might match that description, in my case since I just use the basic vallejo stuff which has good enough surface tension that I just pour enough on at a time that it covers without rolling off the base. If I wanted deeper water I would just do multiple passes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

R0ckfish posted:

I might match that description, in my case since I just use the basic vallejo stuff which has good enough surface tension that I just pour enough on at a time that it covers without rolling off the base. If I wanted deeper water I would just do multiple passes.

Yeah, you're the one I was thinking of.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

I have probably neglected to say how great these paint jobs are: they are great.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

You bases inspired me to do my Saga Viking bases the same way.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
According to their Facebook page, Scale75 is about to launch a KS for a new line of paints. Ow my wallet.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

R0ckfish posted:

This is so drat cool!! Which "vallejo stuff" is this?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Quidthulhu posted:

This is so drat cool!! Which "vallejo stuff" is this?

26.230 Still Water, with a touch of sotek in it to give colour.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Stephenls posted:

According to their Facebook page, Scale75 is about to launch a KS for a new line of paints. Ow my wallet.

Oh no :(

I mean, I'm excited but - my credit card is already limping along.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished off these ghosts today.

Did these guys based on the Games Workshop tutorial and I'm really not happy with them. The tutorials from the guy who isn't Duncan often leave me not very happy. I'm definitely not painting the other two like this. Any ideas on how to salvage them besides stripping? I don't think they are worth stripping and re-painting, especially with 42 other guys to paint from the Blackstone Fortress box.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Chainclaw posted:

Did these guys based on the Games Workshop tutorial and I'm really not happy with them. The tutorials from the guy who isn't Duncan often leave me not very happy. I'm definitely not painting the other two like this. Any ideas on how to salvage them besides stripping? I don't think they are worth stripping and re-painting, especially with 42 other guys to paint from the Blackstone Fortress box.

The only thing dragging them down is the eye lenses. Brighten them up to orange, preferably using a gemstone effect.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The spookghosts look good, but what exactly was the process on the spindle drones? A heavy drybrush?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Chainclaw posted:

Looks like you're trying to dry brush with too much paint on your brush. You could just apply another layer of black base coat to the carapace and try again.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Looks like you're trying to dry brush with too much paint on your brush. You could just apply another layer of black base coat to the carapace and try again.

Yeah. For a supposedly simple technique, drybrushing is actually really tricky to do well. You need to have way, way less paint on your brush, to the point where it feels like you're not getting any paint at all on the model -- and then just drybrush for a really long time.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just checked Airbrushes prices. My god we're getting hosed in the rear end in Europe. Patriot 105 goes for 140€, only $65 in the US. Sotar 20/20 is $97 in the US, but a wooping 220€ in France. And Amazon bills you $5 for international shipping so...

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Furism posted:

Just checked Airbrushes prices. My god we're getting hosed in the rear end in Europe. Patriot 105 goes for 140€, only $65 in the US. Sotar 20/20 is $97 in the US, but a wooping 220€ in France. And Amazon bills you $5 for international shipping so...
Why are you checking the worst brand to buy in Europe? You're not likely to get the amazing US deals, will get hosed by overseas shipping, and might have repair problems.

Do check Iwata and Harder & Steenbeck though, IIRC those are the preferred brands to buy in Europe.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I tried this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEwK76mco68
It sounds like I need to just get way better at dry brushing when I use it. Try and have much less paint on the brush.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
With dry brushing I like to use a paper towel and just brush over it until nothing appears on the paper. Paper towels have a bunch of ridges that help you see when nothing is left. At that point there will still be enough on the brush to catch the edges.

You can always add more.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up a mek gun:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Also on the topic of Scale75:

Am I correct in assuming that WÖLFE - THE BATTLE OF THE ATLANTIC is the book that Scale75 compiled all the demos that came with the individual Warfront paint sets, in the same way that Easy Painting Process is the book where they compiled all the demos from the Scalecolor and Scalecolor Fantasy & Game eight-paint boxed sets?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Pierzak posted:

Why are you checking the worst brand to buy in Europe? You're not likely to get the amazing US deals, will get hosed by overseas shipping, and might have repair problems.

Do check Iwata and Harder & Steenbeck though, IIRC those are the preferred brands to buy in Europe.

I didn't know they were the worst to buy in Europe.

I bought from Amazon US. I still saved 120+€ so that's okay. For the next one I'll follow your recommendation.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Badger have European distributors that do repairs and service, what nonsense.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Did anyone get a confirmation email from the badger sale, or a shipping notice? I only got the paypal "we took your money" confirmation.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Did anyone get a confirmation email from the badger sale, or a shipping notice? I only got the paypal "we took your money" confirmation.

I bought a patriot through the sale last year and as I recall I got the paypal receipt and then a shipping notice like 3 months later.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yeah it's not a fast process.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I bought a patriot through the sale last year and as I recall I got the paypal receipt and then a shipping notice like 3 months later.

Haha you spelled week wrong right? Should have trusted my gut reading the edgelord warnings on their order page about being patient and not asking questions or seeking updates OR ELSE.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Haha you spelled week wrong right? Should have trusted my gut reading the edgelord warnings on their order page about being patient and not asking questions or seeking updates OR ELSE.

the earliest orders last year took about 5 weeks. It's the bottom of the bottom in terms of priority for the company to ship out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Yeast posted:

the earliest orders last year took about 5 weeks. It's the bottom of the bottom in terms of priority for the company to ship out.

How she goes boys.