Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Devor posted:

Hey Bob, I can't figure out how to troubleshoot my faction standing to check it for the quest I'm building. The last guy who knew how to do it got fired 2 years ago

Uh, poo poo, I guess I'll add a debugging window for you to use to look at your standing. But the guy who knew how to limit permissions to use the debugger window got fired last year

gently caress it, just let everyone use it and call it a feature

~fini~

Heh, it's actually nicely done. I was surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I’m pretty sure I’ve made several iterations of “they’ll never release a faction ui” over the years and wow holy poo poo they do it after firing most the staff.

Just got off work and opened steam and... https://store.steampowered.com/app/987350/PlanetSide_Arena/

hahahahahahaha holy poo poo, they're selling redesigning re-releasing Planetside 2 (a free-to-play game) as an Arena Shooter and charging people $60 for it at full price (currently 50% off for pre-ordering!) Yeah Daybreak!!

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 14, 2018

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

My favorite random faction name so far is The Hotwingz. Apparently the cinder wasps in burning woods belong to it

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp
If you're on Phinigel, make sure to:

A. Top up your Frogloks of Guk faction
B. Bottom out your Vox faction

These have implications for running Old Man Mckenzies!

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Oh poo poo patch notes

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/test-update-12-04-2018-patch-notes-and-discussions.253075/

Highlights:
- Melody now skips to the next song if a recast timer hasn't elapsed, instead of interrupting the melody.

- Added a MOTHER loving Faction Window that allows you to check your reaction and standing with every group in EverQuest.
- - This new window can be accessed by clicking the EQ Button and selecting Character -> Faction Standings or by typing /faction.
- - Hovering over a faction name or reaction entry will display your current reaction value with a group as well as the number of points needed to reach the next reaction rank.
- - Hovering over the standing progress bar will display your current standing (how much you have done to help or hurt this group) as well as the minimum and maximum possible standing with the group.

Wow, putting a nail to almost 20 years of "mystery" about how faction works.

I remember when Velious was current content and how people would port to CS to check their CoV faction after grinding in Kael, by conning the wyverns there. No more!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Hoohah posted:

running Old Man Mckenzies!

:suicide:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

If you're on Phinigel, make sure to:

A. Top up your Frogloks of Guk faction
B. Bottom out your Vox faction

These have implications for running Old Man Mckenzies!

What is that and why do I care? Coming from you I'm sure it's solid advice, just need some context, heh

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

What is that and why do I care? Coming from you I'm sure it's solid advice, just need some context, heh

Old Man Mckenzies are monster missions in SoD, put in as a "clever" catch-up mechanic. Basically you run the three original dungeons (Sol B, Dead Side L Guk, and Live Side L Guk) and kill each of the named that will be up, once per day. Once you beat all of them, you can open the chest and get a 650-ish HME item. This item is not usually important enough to actually keep, but you can also sell it for a Mckenzie Brew, which is currency.

Completing an OMM group mission rewards:
1. 1 Brew
2. 3% Regular XP
3. 3 AAs
4. Like 150 plat.

The real big thing is that there are two raids, Lord Nagafen and Lady Vox. Finishing these raid tasks will reward two items, which can be sold for 3 brews each. Additionally, you get the same group mission rewards except 2 brews instead of 1. These items, however, are 950 HME (roughly the same as SoD Tier 3 loot from Plane of Earth/Rallos/Korafax raids).

You can buy all of the items, and more, from all five zones once you complete them once. It takes a few weeks to be able to afford raid items at 42/63 brews, but this is a great way to "fix" gear issues you might have from the accelerated expansion schedule.

The group missions themselves aren't hard, but the goal is to do them fast. If you can do them with super high speed, you can get them done within an hour, pick up 15 AAs and 15% xp, and your brews. You can only select one of each class, but since efficiency is not what you care about, pick casters and just blow poo poo up. You only need 3 people to do a group mission.

The raid missions aren't much harder, just load up 6 mages and go to town with pet walling. Pulling Magus Roykl is a bit of a bitch. You need 6 people who have gotten raid/lockout credit at least once for any event from Solteris, Mansion, Crystallos, or SoD Kithcor and beyond.

Now why does the Frogloks of Guk faction matter? Because you can move around live side L Guk without having to invis, which will save a ton of time.

Bottoming out Vox faction means that the charm, Symbol of Disloyalty to Vox, is full power.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They're now selling lifetime subscriptions for $300 and it's making me wonder what Daybreak will even be in three years.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bankrupt

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Republicans posted:

They're now selling lifetime subscriptions for $300 and it's making me wonder what Daybreak will even be in three years.

with limited quantities available of the lifetime subs. Greasy as gently caress

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Trying to dump 1.2 million in "lifetime" subs for the holidays, that smells bad as gently caress stay away.
I suspect another layoff / sunsetting is depending highly on these sales.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think EQ has many years left in it, just based on my time playing another now dead ancient MMO (Asheron's Call). That game held on for a shockingly long time with a player base probably 1% the size of what EQ has right now.

That said I do think when they lose (or lay off) their developers they are going to put the game on maintenance mode rather than try to hire and train replacements. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen within two years.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Lifetime subs are definitely a sign of decline. At least with it being a limited time offer with a limited number available it seems like less of a cash grab than it could be, but then again they could be playing on artificial scarcity so people buy these up quick. Just have to remember that you're gambling on "the life of the participating game(s)" and the chance that whoever buys up Daybreak actually honors the lifetime sub.

Besides, if you really want to flash your cash go with the $199.99 one year sub with the golden armor and bag. :wotwot:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

RCarr posted:

Bankrupt

Morally for years.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Republicans posted:

what Daybreak will even be in three years

sold to a korean company

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Yeah.. this reeks. Also means a new TLP is likely to be announced soon i'm sure.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

gently caress VT

That is all.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Zone!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I never did do VT, but I did get keyed for it right before I quit. Was proud I managed to get all the shards solo. Breaking into the ssra basement via deep was tense as hell, especially when I aggroed like six poxed skeletons at once.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Republicans posted:

Annnnnd it's sold out. Grats Daybreak on the easy $1.2m.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Anarch posted:

Annnnnd it's sold out. Grats Daybreak on the easy $1.2m.

And, it's back for 6k more.

Do any goons do the Krono baron routine? I'm looking to pick a few up.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why but the holidays always makes me nostalgic for EQ. I'm on Agnarr as Gabbon a 10 halfling cleric trying to complete my newbie armor quests if anyone wants to offer some help.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

iddqd posted:

I have no idea why but the holidays always makes me nostalgic for EQ. I'm on Agnarr as Gabbon a 10 halfling cleric trying to complete my newbie armor quests if anyone wants to offer some help.

I made an iksar necro a few days ago , but on Vox server. I've never played EQ before, AO was my first mmo. I'm actually liking it so far, but I'm assuming I'll be gimped playing the free-to-play version.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Republicans posted:

I never did do VT, but I did get keyed for it right before I quit. Was proud I managed to get all the shards solo. Breaking into the ssra basement via deep was tense as hell, especially when I aggroed like six poxed skeletons at once.

VT is a cool concept. It feels like they just ran out of time to make the boss fights interesting and padded the zone out with an enormous amount of trash to extend the time required to complete it. It's just a really tiring clear as a healer, just takes too much constant attention while churning through seemingly identical trash packs.

Hey Phinny players, how is SoD going? Are the mercs available now at the same strength as the ones on live? I've totally burned out on leveling due to Coirnav's lovely xp rate and was thinking of checking out mercs on Phinny, and probably leveling a small box team

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Solarin posted:

seemingly identical trash packs.

This was considered challenging raid content design back in the day. Look at wow early wow raids also.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Kak posted:

I made an iksar necro a few days ago , but on Vox server. I've never played EQ before, AO was my first mmo. I'm actually liking it so far, but I'm assuming I'll be gimped playing the free-to-play version.

Up to level 70ish, the only major difference is mercenaries. Ftp has garbage mercs, but all-access has journeyman level, which is capable of soloing most early content. After level 70 you'll start to feel the pinch. Not only will you be capped at 1000 alternate ability points (which is not a lot) but all access accounts can get all AA free, through autogrant, up to level 105. You'll have to grind them out by diverting xp away from leveling.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

iddqd posted:

I’m still in the mood to play some EQ but it’s lonely on Agnarr. Any groups going on a certain server? Test maybe? I’d love to start a little gnome SK or level a cleric/chanter/shaman/something useful to a group.

E: I think I'll play on Phinny unless otherwise told in this thread!

e2: Name is Tumben and I'm a gnome SK. Having a blast. I love this game.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 9, 2019

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Phinny just got mercs and it is awesome.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
I just hopped on phinny since I've been looking for a fix lately and the grind on corinav was just too brutal.

I've got a 25 necro if anyone wants to group I'm on European time send a tell to mortainious.

I'd appreciate any tips or tricks you goons have as I'm new to pet classes and the expansions on the server.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
-Get a merc. I think tank merc is best for lower levels until like the 70s or maybe even up to 80? If you're using a pet class, maybe rogue merc is best.
-Turn on auto-grant AA
-Check your /claim. Especially if you have an old account, you'll have some exp pots in there.
-Check your Veteran AAs. Lesson of the Devoted is a 30-min exp buff you can use once a day. You want to get in a good groove and pop it every day if you can.
-Check out heal pots on the Bazaar. They're awesome (although probably not needed with mercs until later)
-Fill gear with Bazaar poo poo (Defiant is cheap and decent enough for leveling)
-Store items: warm milk, cookies are super useful IMO, and pretty cheap. Get phantom froglock illusion wand for a levitate clicky. You can spend $35 on a TLP bundle that gives you a 40-slot bag. They also have other bag options. Get at least one huge loving bag, 2-3 more won't hurt.

Links:
http://www.raidloot.com/ - Note that it also has an AA section that's good for browsing if you're not in-game.
http://eqitems.com/ - Good for looking per-expansion at options available to you. TBH I've been the one submitting gear to this for several expansions, so it probably only has raid gear for the most part.
https://eq.magelo.com/ - Good for knowing how you are against various caps (hp regen, mana regen, attack, etc) if you set up your character. The Spells section is also super useful getting raw data on WTF a spell/song is doing.
https://phinnyprogress.com/ - When you're ready to raid, this shows you active guilds with links to their site. Goons aren't consolidated in any one guild. I'm in Entendre and do our front-page updates. Hoohah is RL of EoE. We have some goons in OGC (the only super-hardcore guild on the server). EoE, Res, CoC, Ent, RG3 are all fairly similar guilds (casual-friendly, but with set raid times, you're expected to not-suck, and a focus on raiding regularly and getting content down in a reasonable time), with the notable differences (personalities aside) being that RG3 is the last Euro guild (I think they're Euro?), EoE uses loot council. The rest of their differences are mainly around raid times. AA is a "new" guild that's composed of the ashes of a few guilds that collapsed. LOTA is a super casual raid guild that still downs content, all super nice folk.

At some point it'll probably be good to level lock and grind AA. You can wait until you're 80 or 85 if you want, but you'll be notably gimpy compared to everyone else, even with autogrant. I remember stopping at 50 and level locking with a tank merc and grinding AA in The Hole as a good option like 4-5 years ago when it first went FTP. I really don't know what the best choice is though (to grind AA along the way, or just get 85). If you're looking to join a raid guild, probably just get 85 and deal with AA later, so you can start getting raid scraps.

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
That is a great start thanks so much for your help!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
For phinny, I'd say getting 60 and farming the hole (the ghosts at the end of the path when you jump in at paineel) for AA's and then 75 and going to paw for more AA's is the way to go. You could stop at 51 and do some griegs end I guess or velks dogs (hotzone). Plane of fire might be good at 65 with a merc.

If you're a melee class then just go to paw, pop lesson and pull run from the zone in to the top of paw and pop riposte disc and any other thing that boost dmg. It'll take a bit of practice first few goes. Camp out and come back in 20mins when riposte is back up and then run to the zone in. Rinse repeat.

Stopping and getting some AA is far better than getting max level and then getting AA.

After that, you may need to get a healer merc if solo and head over

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Are AA's significantly easier to get at lower levels? Or is it just because groups are hard to find and mercs arent as effective at higher levels?

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
I'd say its kinda just a sweet spot between aa per kill, mob health at a reasonable amount, merc power etc.
Like your aa per kill will go up at higher levels, but also the mobs take longer to kill etc.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Doctor Party posted:

Are AA's significantly easier to get at lower levels? Or is it just because groups are hard to find and mercs arent as effective at higher levels?

There are some zones that are really good for AA farming. It's just making the most of it as you level up. Since you are solo, well molo (merc + you), the experience is a lot better than going to max level then starting your AA grind. Also, AA plays a pretty big part in character development so if you're a tank or healer or something like that then you are a hurting your group. Even DPS characters can poo poo on a group with just auto granted AA's.

It might be a bit lonely stopping off to get AA's but it's actually faster in the longer run than getting max and starting the AA grind.

I do highly recommend hitting the hole at 60 and 75 in paw for ALL your offensive, defensive and QoL AA's that aren't auto granted. 75-85 I don't know which zone. I've never played that era on live and currently on a break from Phinny if I even go back due to lack of decent guilds that are similar to my play style or who aren't toxic far right cunts (OGC).

Equality
Feb 26, 2007
Is there a cheap weapon that doubles as all instrument types for a new bard? I started one on phinny but couldn't use my songs for some weird reason?

I'm already thinking of rerolling from necro since it seems like the name of the game is to support your Merc... Thinking either bard or shaman. Which of these is more fun to solo with anyone have any experience?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I don't know if I'd say the name of the game is to support your merc - especially since which merc works best changes in the 80s.

I love my bard. Super fun class, lots of utility, super versatile. But things won't die fast. With Boastful Bellow though, you can do some interesting tricks to kill poo poo (like hit it, fade, then when it goes off, finish the mob, or repeat).

There's nothing that I know of that gives a bard all song mods aside from the epic. The ratio of the 2.5 epic is garbage tier come like...TSS/TBS if you're a raider. If you're just doing group content though, and can get you someone to get your orb from CoA, you're probably fine.

Buy defiant gear though as a starting point (although I don't know what level it starts at) - it all has song mods on it. Starting with TBS, they're uniform for which slot the mods appear in. Before that it was a loving nightmare to gear once I repped the 2.5.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Gloomingdeep armor you get from the tutorial is reskinned Crude Defiant so thats a good way to get a full suit right out the door.

Also I didn't realize how quick leveling is these days. On Phinny I'm almost 40 and I made my little SK two days ago! The tank merc definitely helps plow through things. I've just been hitting the hotzone 10 levels above me and blitzing through mobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If you're level 40, go to velks. You can probably stay there till 60.