Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is 8 mins also how long Donnie can be up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I am not certain whether a wall is necessary or not. I look forward to cogent arguments from both sides tonight and will form my opinion afterward.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Retro42 posted:

Don’t underestimate the Both-sidesism of the media. If the Dems go loud 10 seconds later the shutdown will start being blamed on everyone instead of just trump.

I guess, but at the same time this whole thing is Trump holding a gun to his own head and making demands, forgetting that doing that requires people to care if you live or die

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

is 8 mins also how long Donnie can be up there.

No way he can get up, let alone for 8 mins.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CuddleCryptid posted:

I guess, but at the same time this whole thing is Trump holding a gun to his own head and making demands, forgetting that doing that requires people to care if you live or die

BUILD THIS WALL OR I DIE LIKE A DOG

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

I mean, it's just safe to assume that everyone and everything is somebody's fetish

I assure you, I am nobody's fetish.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

eyebeem posted:

Most of America: :hmmyes:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

the only person in politics as dumb as sarah palin is trump and even then he's probably slightly smarter.

We do have proof that Donald Trump knows the name of a newspaper, after all.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sorry Stormy I already have plans to watch planes.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

white sauce posted:

Just a troubled young man, I'm glad the judge went easy on him :rolleyes:

yea its pretty crap in this case, though the tweet thread said the judge was just following the (white people) sentencing guidelines. But it will probably come with a lot of requirements, such as no associating with any white supremacy / white power people, meetings, possibly GPS monitoring. Really easy to violate release conditions.

Dude should still do at least 10 years in prison tho, 2.5 years after sentencing is BS

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

feedmyleg posted:

That's less than my brother got for selling weed.

The tweet also fails to take into account that you can often shave 30 - 50% of a sentence off (depending on your location) for "good time" spent in jail/prison, i.e. generally avoiding problematic behavior for the system.

So 2.5 years to go doesn't conform with the reality of the situation at all if he hasn't had issues and is good time-eligible.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Sorry Stormy I already have plans to watch planes.

Watch both. It's the only true way to get into the danger zone.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Username post combo

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I want to see CNN broadcast the speech live, but every time he fibs they pitch his voice just a little bit higher.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

snorch posted:

I want to see CNN broadcast the speech live, but every time he fibs they pitch his voice just a little bit higher.

Same, but every time he lies it's the entire Bee Movie

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

KillHour posted:

I assure you, I am nobody's fetish.

You're the one that posted the Chris Christie dancing video, right? Someone might have been into that.

eyebeem posted:

He'd get better results if it was BUILD THIS WALL OR THIS DOG DIES.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So let me preface this by saying I agree with AOCs tax ideas.

Now tell me how in this fully global economy can you enforce a 70% marginal tax rate on the rich?
They can easily offshore their income or even just pack up and leave. Wouldn’t actions like that further weaken the US economy? Unless you take a authoritarian style restriction to the freedom of movement. I don’t see how you can stop it.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

snorch posted:

Every dog in the country goes batshit 30 seconds in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I was gonna binge watch some 30 Rock but glad to know I have some options now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kraftwerk posted:

Now tell me how in this fully global economy can you enforce a 70% marginal tax rate on the rich?
They can easily offshore their income or even just pack up and leave. Wouldn’t actions like that further weaken the US economy? Unless you take a authoritarian style restriction to the freedom of movement. I don’t see how you can stop it.

"People break laws" isn't a reason not to create laws.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Its not that easy to offshore your income unless you just stop doing business in the US, which they can't/won't.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dear thread,
I refuse to watch him live(it’s literally the only thing this is for, his ego) but I won’t turn down a link to it at half speed like the previously linked vid.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kraftwerk posted:

They can easily offshore their income or even just pack up and leave.

Rich people love living in the United States

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

white sauce posted:

Rich people love living in the United States

They also love living in states with higher taxes like California and New York, so it doesn't even apply in cases where moving is relatively easier

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kraftwerk posted:

It would require policing the rich more, but that isn't as Orwellian as it sounds. Remember that the IRS already knows how much money people make through the corporations that they are a part of, it isn't a secret hidden value. Even more so for capital gains. The rich just employ tax lawyers whose entire existence is to move money around where it isn't technically in the states anymore.

It's more complex than this but I can see them starting to go "it doesn't matter where the money ended up, your company that operates in the US made X dollars, you received Y of that according to your own records, therefore we want Y*0.7."

Granted this is based on the idea that they aren't cooking their books like a celebrity chef, but then it's just a straight up crime.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Kraftwerk posted:

Where are they gonna go? Let them leave if they want to.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Whoopi Goldberg needs her taxes raised immediately.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

In addition to what people said, they still have lives in the U.S. They may not have much in common with the common people, but those few things include family, friends and favorite places to be, and moving to another country makes it inconvenient to get to them no matter how wealthy you are just due to physical distance.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Lemming posted:

They also love living in states with higher taxes like California and New York, so it doesn't even apply in cases where moving is relatively easier

Where people live and where they claim they live are often very different things.

It is not uncommon for the very wealthy to claim residence in a no income tax state and live in a high tax high service state.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

You can't restrict the freedom of human movement but you can absolutely restrict the movement of capital. If they can't bring the money in without it being taxed, they can choose between being rich outside the US, having a middle-class standard of living inside the US, or just paying the drat taxes.

Also if all the rich people leave the US someone will just become rich in their stead. The rich aren't as irreplaceable as they like everyone to believe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Nancy Pelosi should be the one to speak. She is the Speaker of the House and 3rd in line if Trump is Impeached and leader of the opposition. She is currently leader of the Democratic Party.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

It would require policing the rich more, but that isn't as Orwellian as it sounds. Remember that the IRS already knows how much money people make through the corporations that they are a part of, it isn't a secret hidden value. Even more so for capital gains. The rich just employ tax lawyers whose entire existence is to move money around where it isn't technically in the states anymore.

It's more complex than this but I can see them starting to go "it doesn't matter where the money ended up, your company that operates in the US made X dollars, you received Y of that according to your own records, therefore we want Y*0.7."

Granted this is based on the idea that they aren't cooking their books like a celebrity chef, but then it's just a straight up crime.

This isn't how marginal income taxes OR international tax law works.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kraftwerk posted:

They can easily offshore their income

We don't have to worry about that part because they already do it

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Gatts posted:

Nancy Pelosi should be the one to speak. She is the Speaker of the House and 3rd in line if Trump is Impeached and leader of the opposition. She is currently leader of the Democratic Party.

I actually think this is a good argument for Pelosi giving the response. Schumer should not be in sight.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stormy Daniels folding laundry just doesn't have the allure of video games.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I want to buy Jim Acosta a beer.

https://twitter.com/RealSaavedra/status/1082726174025904128?s=19

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kraftwerk posted:

The worst case scenario is that the rich go all Atlas Shrugged and take their wealth to the depth of the sea. And honestly, if that happened, good riddance. The people dont need the rich as much as the rich need the people.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

Whoopi Goldberg needs her taxes raised immediately.

hosed up but true

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm so glad KarateChopgate didn't cause Acosta to become submissive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How to lose all your friends in one easy DVD

quote:

each box includes a bonus DVD with lessons that aim to teach men how to convince their other male friends to follow their path. 

Trailer is amazing

https://youtu.be/GMMMEnpYcEM

Also