Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I prompted for a discussion about pessimistic Cosmic Horror vs. optimistic Cosmic Sci-Fi twice and not even you went for it, so that doesn't really feel like an honest complaint anymore.

I missed you saying that in all the hubbub so I am sorry because I am all for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I would like a classic Resident Evil style survival horror game that takes place entirely in a theater that was foolish enough to try putting on a production of The King In Yellow. It could start off like Parasite Eve did and then evolve into Silent Hill-ish twitch monsters and alien geometries from there. Thoughts?

That would be pretty incredible if you delve really hard into the aureolin palette and watery decay, like a more yellow hued Silent Hill 2. Bring the idea of Carcosa being a state of mind for an entire city to fall into when on the right track of critical mass depression and pent up mania - with the concepts of “dying poets and mad artists” a lot of Hastur stuff has, you can even paint it as a modern society so crushed by work and lack of creative expression that it ends up exploding out in a mentally ill and reality-deforming way when inspired by the play, taking basic hidden desires and creative urges of NPCs and amplifying them to death mania levels under the influence of the play and Carcosa manifesting

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Black August posted:

That would be pretty incredible if you delve really hard into the aureolin palette and watery decay, like a more yellow hued Silent Hill 2.
Yellow, water and shadows as an aesthetic theme sounds very solid to me. "Along the shore the cloud waves break, the twin suns sink behind the lake, the shadows lengthen in Carcosa." Silent Hill already has a very musical theme, in that the industrial noise music is probably the second thing anyone will tell you about if you ask them what they remember the most about the series, right behind blood and rust. I wonder if it would be possible to recapture that effect, but more as cacophony of the "music of the spheres" concept.

I imagine something a lot like the sunset phase of Bloodborne there, but less gothic and maybe more late 19th century baroque. Something like a turn-of-the century museum or opera hall - lots of tall windows and a golden evening sun casting long shadows over bloodstains. I really loved the bloody red sunshine of Bloodborne for atmosphere. It made everything feel so much more starkly drawn and dream-like than the night or paleblood phases do, so I would definitely love to see a game recapture that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna a Lovecraft game where you paint highly detailed paintings of a underground society of flesh eating ghoul dogmen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A diner dash clone based off of Cool Air

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://gematsu.com/2019/01/alien-blackout-announced-for-smartphones :rip:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ah good, 5 Nights in Nostromo.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Five Nights With A Xenomorph.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sorry, but yellow and water seems like a bad combo personally.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it worked for Persona 4.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

quote:

a unique fear-inducing horror mobile game experience that will test the inner nerves of both Alien and horror fans alike

The inner nerves.
The copywriter who penned this must have a curious anatomy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

The inner nerves.
The copywriter who penned this must have a curious anatomy.

The choice of "Both alien and horror fans alike" also implies they think aliens and horror are two entirely unrelated subjects :allears:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

A game so scary, it stabs you right in your medulla oblongata.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is the saddest thing they could have done with the Alien: Isolation assets.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is the saddest thing they could have done with the Alien: Isolation assets.

Incorrect. Could've been a gatcha title.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

exquisite tea posted:

Night in the Woods is a story screaming "this all is about capitalism. The hole is capitalism. It's capitalism" and yet galaxy-brained thinkers still ask "but what about the cultists at the end, what happened to them?" There's really very little ambiguity unless you're new to the whole idea of theme.

I just played Night in the Woods for new year's eve, that game is the best. I loved the message, it is way on the nose and I can't imagine how people would have trouble getting it. Bea goes right out and says near the end "old men killing the youngs and the poors to get back some past that barely existed" which I don't see quoted nearly enough. I'd really like to see a sequel just to see these characters again because I miss them already, but I can't imagine how a sequel could work, story-wise.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Yellow, water and shadows as an aesthetic theme sounds very solid to me. "Along the shore the cloud waves break, the twin suns sink behind the lake, the shadows lengthen in Carcosa." Silent Hill already has a very musical theme, in that the industrial noise music is probably the second thing anyone will tell you about if you ask them what they remember the most about the series, right behind blood and rust. I wonder if it would be possible to recapture that effect, but more as cacophony of the "music of the spheres" concept.

I imagine something a lot like the sunset phase of Bloodborne there, but less gothic and maybe more late 19th century baroque. Something like a turn-of-the century museum or opera hall - lots of tall windows and a golden evening sun casting long shadows over bloodstains. I really loved the bloody red sunshine of Bloodborne for atmosphere. It made everything feel so much more starkly drawn and dream-like than the night or paleblood phases do, so I would definitely love to see a game recapture that.

I know exactly what you mean. That period of sunset right before twilight, with extremely high contrast and the soaking of fire colors. Like the moments in Silent Hill 3 before the mall goes dark.

Add in a lot of black water, gossamer curtains, baroque architecture, pale overgrowth, stagnant pools, sulphuric lights and candles, and an everpresent deep sunset through leering windows, and you’d have a proper Carcosa aesthetic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Sorry, but yellow and water seems like a bad combo personally.

No, that’d be part of the idea. You’d want that discomfort and concept of filth, of not being able to trust any source of water- you’d want most sources of water to be black and gray anyways, liquid shadow to complement the pale hues of the light. You want that ugly aesthetic of ‘ancient neglectful nursing home’ or ‘unkempt master bedroom of alcoholic poet with terminal illness’, a use of fever palettes that isn’t blood reds, rust browns, and burned blacks. Pale pale yellow, grays, hard contrast blacks, vivid fiery yellow, dark purples- the palette of someone dying of organ failures.

Silent Hill 1/2/3 did a lot with its hues in this way to set mood. SH1 was a lot of browns and grays, almost subdued in the opiate haze way. SH2 went for the palette of water and suicide, with tons of greens, blues, and mildewy shades. SH3 went complete meth bender hues, with bloody bright reds, fire colors with oranges, heavy rust, and death black- basically 1s scheme cranked to max saturation.

A palette like 2s shifted more to yellows would be pretty good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking of something harsher. Sunlight on desert sand, not sunlight on a foggy morning. You know of late 19th century Egyptomania? That period of time where people where robbing tombs for mummys to grind up and eat as health tonics? It's part of the reason the Necronomicon was written by an Arab and one of Nyarlathothep's forms is the black pharaoh. The whole "North African mystique" thing was a big deal around that period of time and informed a lot contemporary architecture. There are so many games these days that are designed around industrial decay, I'd like to see something with a color palette more inspired by the dry crumbling of the cradle of human civilization. It makes things feel palpably more ancient to me.

Giving the NPCs the general color scheme of a fading bruise and watery rot would be an interesting way to set that off, though. Modern pressures and social illness contrasted by an otherworldly force that has played with humans since before recorded history.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Sorry, I was joking. But yeah, this concept has legs. It can also be worked with the idea/book as vector/source element that others were discussing in here as an underexplored horror concept some time ago. That was a major theme of the King In Yellow, iirc, particularly with fixation/obsession. Could tie in opium imagery, addiction and theory of mind, perhaps? Playing from the perspective of someone under its effects?

I'm less sold on the abandoned baroque imagery only because it's been used more thoroughly. I like the idea of applying the stagnation to a modern context, which is more in keeping with those first locations in SH3.

edit: Korsakovia might also be a comparison point.

edit 2:
vvvv yes that's a fantastic point of comparison as well.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Black August posted:

I know exactly what you mean. That period of sunset right before twilight, with extremely high contrast and the soaking of fire colors.
Like this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/864100/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

That was a major theme of the King In Yellow, iirc. Could tie in opium imagery and theory of mind, perhaps? I'm less sold on the abandoned baroque imagery only because it's been used more thoroughly.
Opium imagery is something I could certainly see fit in there. Chambers was big on decadence of that kind and I've visited some recreations of historic Chinese opium barges. They also tend towards golden colors, shining candle light, intricate patterns and stark shadows, because that's apparently what an opium high causes to feel particularly pleasant to the user.

The baroque thing was just me thinking about the architecture of the kind of turn-of-the-century style theater I'd enjoy seeing this being taking place in, but I'm open for suggestions. I also considered saying art deco instead, but that's a bit too heavily connected to the Bioshock franchise these days, which might suggest the wrong connotations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sounds like an Alien themed attempt at Dreadnaught so could be okay?

It probably won't be but maybe this time wait a little before deciding it's a bad game? Or am I the only one who remembers how Evil Within was a lovely game because it had an unkillable instant death ghost chasing you the entire game? Or how RE7 had no combat?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can kind of see how Five Nights At Nostromo could be a good game, if they use the CRT-chic aesthetic to obscure the fine details. Maybe use motion trackers to track both your pawns and the alien, but don't mark which blip is which so that if an alien takes someone out you can't tell if the returning blip is friend or foe unless you pay attention. Or make performing actions similar to the saves in Isolation: manual, slow, clunky, and takes you away from the situation.

I just don't know how much horror you can get off of a mobile.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It wasn't originally developed for Mobile, but Skyhill was a pretty good game for that. Lots of weird notes and ambiguous situations for a game about escaping a skyscraper full of mutants.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FNAF translated well enough to the tablet market, but since the series revolves more or less entirely around jump scares, I'm not sure it's the kind of horror people would be looking for in a sequel to Isolation.

Or even just in anything loosely associated with it, really. It's hard to convey the sense of being stalked in a dark, cramped space on something phone-sized that you're meant to play on the bus or whatever.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I would figuratively kill for a Five Nights At Freddy's VR game

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Totally stealing the Carcosa-as-a-theater-play bit for my weekly Cthulhu game and this article on

Black August posted:

That would be pretty incredible if you delve really hard into the aureolin palette and watery decay, like a more yellow hued Silent Hill 2. Bring the idea of Carcosa being a state of mind for an entire city to fall into when on the right track of critical mass depression and pent up mania - with the concepts of “dying poets and mad artists” a lot of Hastur stuff has, you can even paint it as a modern society so crushed by work and lack of creative expression that it ends up exploding out in a mentally ill and reality-deforming way when inspired by the play, taking basic hidden desires and creative urges of NPCs and amplifying them to death mania levels under the influence of the play and Carcosa manifesting

Totally stealing this bit for my Cthulhu RPG group using this article on millennials as the burnout generation as fuel for the fire.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I'm not really a mobile guy. I've got a desktop and a laptop, and if I'm stuck somewhere, I might play something like Wayward Souls or fuckin' Bejeweled...so perhaps I'm not the right person to ask about this. Nonetheless, it seems like you'd lose a lot of the tension and horror of, say, Alien: Isolation (played on a big screen in a dark room with headphones) by trying to replicate some of the experience on an iPhone. I guess you might be able to play it on a tablet or stream it to a TV but, still, this seems like really lame news to me. Maybe that's not what they're going for. Either way, it's a good thing that I didn't get excited by the first indications of a new Amanda Ripley game.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 7, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

al-azad posted:

Totally stealing the Carcosa-as-a-theater-play bit for my weekly Cthulhu game and this article on
Please post about it somewhere in Tradgames once you're done with it, I'd really like to see what you end up making of the idea.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

Totally stealing this bit for my Cthulhu RPG group using this article on millennials as the burnout generation as fuel for the fire.

I don't think it's out or know when it will be but I almost pulled the trigger on this last year

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1721105501/the-yellow-king-roleplaying-game-from-robin-d-laws

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Danaru posted:

I would figuratively kill for a Five Nights At Freddy's VR game

There’s at least one fan game but an official one is in the works:

Scott Cawthon on 11/12/18 posted:

FNAF VR: (40% complete)

This game is looking terrific. I’m working with a company called Steel Wool to bring the VR game to life, and these guys are making some crazy stuff. If you liked repairing Funtime Freddy up-close in Sister Location, just wait until you try to do something like that in VR, up close, personal, with these huge animatronics that are just one mistake away from jumping at you. I refused to test it the first time and had my son Braden test it instead. (The repair section is one small part of the game.) And, for the first time, you’re going to all get to see an actual stage performance from the classic band!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Neato. Not a big fan of FNAF or VR because I'm too poor too afford it but I like seeing Scott Cawthon working on stuff

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I would be found dead of a heart attack with a VR visor on my face if I ever tried FNAF VR, jesus christ

I already don't play the games since intentionally subjecting myself to constant jumpscares is so not what I look for in life.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s at least one fan game but an official one is in the works:

:bisonyes::yeshaha::bisonyes::yeshaha::bisonyes:

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Cardiovorax posted:

FNAF translated well enough to the tablet market, but since the series revolves more or less entirely around jump scares, I'm not sure it's the kind of horror people would be looking for in a sequel to Isolation.

Or even just in anything loosely associated with it, really. It's hard to convey the sense of being stalked in a dark, cramped space on something phone-sized that you're meant to play on the bus or whatever.

I played a couple of iOS horror games, including the Dead Space one, back when I was still buying mobile games (now I have way too many and can't afford the new devices so no new games), and it *can* work just as well as a PC/console, even on a phone, but much like a watching a great horror movie on a device it will depend a lot on your environment. You'll need a dark room, decent headphones/buds, few distractions, etc.

So while I was as surprised as anybody that A:I's follow-up is on mobile of all things, I also don't regard it as an abomination. Tablet screens these days are sufficiently large enough to replicate the experience of playing a AAA game on a laptop, and that can also be as legit as any other setup if done right. (I was surprised that when Mofi bluetooth controllers came out that mobile games didn't go for an even more premium experience than they already were with stuff like Rockstar's ports and other console titles getting ported, but I guess the sales numbers just weren't there.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Agent Escalus posted:

I played a couple of iOS horror games, including the Dead Space one, back when I was still buying mobile games (now I have way too many and can't afford the new devices so no new games), and it *can* work just as well as a PC/console, even on a phone, but much like a watching a great horror movie on a device it will depend a lot on your environment. You'll need a dark room, decent headphones/buds, few distractions, etc.
Sure, but If you have to be basically sitting at the equivalent of a desktop PC workstation + peripherals anyway, you might as well make it a PC or console game outright and get the benefits of superior controls, hardware and screen size. At that point, it's only nominally a mobile game anymore. You can theoretically take it with you, but it's really not meaningfully playable anywhere except in your own home.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Do we live in a world dumb enough yet where somebody would think a marketing campaign of people screaming in horror in public restrooms is the new 'Claim your product is so scary it warrants a free diaper'?

"So terrifying you'll be glad you can play it on the toilet!"

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Morpheus posted:

Incorrect. Could've been a gatcha title.

A pachinko machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
No, no, no.

A hidden object game.

Where you have to tap an icon when it flashes in order to hide from the xenomorph.