Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zesty posted:

I wish they wouldn’t do early access with DLC.

it's stand alone, not dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Ok?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I just did my third playthrough of the main game to prepare myself for Below Zero, and goddamn the endgame is really weak, to the point of being non-existent. By the time you’re geared enough to explore the late-game biomes there’s pretty much nothing left to do besides the one mandatory visit to the Containment Facility.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Comrade Koba posted:

I just did my third playthrough of the main game to prepare myself for Below Zero, and goddamn the endgame is really weak, to the point of being non-existent. By the time you’re geared enough to explore the late-game biomes there’s pretty much nothing left to do besides the one mandatory visit to the Containment Facility.

i love how you get the blueprints for ion batteries and ion power cells at a point in the game where you have absolutely no need whatsoever for either of them

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Zesty posted:

It's not really DLC, it's a standalone expansion so I don't have a problem with it. And early access is a good thing for small developers.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i hope that since they're making a new map from scratch it means they don't have to include the dumb terraforming code that's still in subnautica and therefore make below zero run way better and have far fewer bugs

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

i hope they find a way to add in even more bugs, and worse ones

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i love how you get the blueprints for ion batteries and ion power cells at a point in the game where you have absolutely no need whatsoever for either of them

They're great to put in time capsules at least.

Subnautica's early access history really shows at times. Especially with the ending being rather rushed and anticlimactic gameplay-wise. It's really calling out for a big, varied endgame zone where you need to use all the skills you've learned and tools you've made.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Subnautica's early access history really shows at times. Especially with the ending being rather rushed and anticlimactic gameplay-wise. It's really calling out for a big, varied endgame zone where you need to use all the skills you've learned and tools you've made.

They definitely spent more time working on the survival + tech-up aspect instead of how it fits into the story.

If they had put in a temporary zone that you have to prepare for, then it would have made more sense. Kinda like the 'away' missions in GTA games.
That way you would have a reason and gravity to prep your Cyclops and choose between the two dock vehicles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tetrabor posted:

They definitely spent more time working on the survival + tech-up aspect instead of how it fits into the story.

If they had put in a temporary zone that you have to prepare for, then it would have made more sense. Kinda like the 'away' missions in GTA games.
That way you would have a reason and gravity to prep your Cyclops and choose between the two dock vehicles.

A long distance voyage to a different part of the planet? Not sure how the engine might handle that, but it would seem fitting.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I didn't know they made physical copies for early access items.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A long distance voyage to a different part of the planet? Not sure how the engine might handle that, but it would seem fitting.

The deep sea, where the Ghosts live?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They should have made the ion batteries mid-game finds in somewhat hidden parts of the map. Having them pop up so late had me rolling my eyes, I was way too kitted by the time I found them

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I haven't finished subnautica but I am an impatient bugger so I have read a whole bunch about it and the plot, and it seems like they could have benefited from a couple ideas:

- have the conditions within the world change according to a timer or scaled to your tech/build progress so that you need to continually adapt and apply what you have learned. Like maybe the safe shallows aren't so safe anymore, etc

- the extent to which you as a player interact with the story is super limited - you are an archaeologist, and not the Indiana Jones type. The world and story they've created isn't as limited as they made it seem, so it's quite a shame that they left it at what it was

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I think having Reaper territory shift over the course of the game would have added needed challenge. Once you've gotten everything you need out of the Aurora, there's not really much reason to go within their hunting grounds.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Or just having reapers not have territory at all, just have them wandering around the whole biome so you have to be constantly looking over your shoulder rather than just getting a feel for the danger zones and avoiding them.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It was probably the initial intention to have the safe shallows be the actual safe zone but the reapers just clipped into them anyway koolaid man style

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

We know the last bit of Subnautica at one point from the concept art was going to be a biome called the Black Field, said zone would be a massive underground area with thermal vents everywhere spewing massive amount of carbonized minerals in the water. Visibility would be nearly none-existent and player would have to navigate the zone using alternative means like using sonar, trail of light sticks, or the pathfinder tool while dodging large sightless predators that lurked in the "ink". I guess they never had time to make it work. :shrug:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 8, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Back Hack posted:

We know the last bit of Subnautica at one point from the concept art was going to be a biome called the Black Field, said zone would be a massive underground area with thermal vents everywhere spewing massive amount of carbonized minerals in the water. Visibility would be nearly none-existent and player would have to navigate the zone using alternative means like using, trail of light sticks, or the pathfinder tool while dodging large sightless predators that lurked in the "ink". I guess they never had time to make it work. :shrug:

I think one of the big problems is that while the game cries out for mechanics around light/darkness and clarity/obscurity, there's no way to implement them because player vision already has severe technical limitations. For instance, while seeing a light in the distance (a wreck, your submarine, the lure of an abyssal monstrosity...) might be an appealing concept, there's no way to implement it with the current draw distance and pop-in because anything that's close enough to be rendered is also close enough to be entirely visible.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Oasx posted:

It's not really DLC, it's a standalone expansion so I don't have a problem with it. And early access is a good thing for small developers.

ok?

Zesty posted:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
When I get around to actually finishing the game (got 5 things to collect first, you know), i think i'm just gonna throw a bunch of ion batteries/power cells in a time bank with a note that say's "Surplus tools from another world".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Microcline posted:

I think one of the big problems is that while the game cries out for mechanics around light/darkness and clarity/obscurity, there's no way to implement them because player vision already has severe technical limitations. For instance, while seeing a light in the distance (a wreck, your submarine, the lure of an abyssal monstrosity...) might be an appealing concept, there's no way to implement it with the current draw distance and pop-in because anything that's close enough to be rendered is also close enough to be entirely visible.

Though that kinda already happens with base windows and Moonpools I can see from way back. Possibly not intended.

Ion batteries and power cells seem pretty common in time capsules. I threw in a Stillsuit, since it seems by the time you unlock it it's pointless anyway.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I left a bunch of alien tablets and a note to keep them with you while exploring, I hope I did good :ohdear:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tetrabor posted:

I would like to see a 'chapter 2' segment actually, where it gives you the choice to turn hunger off - as in an acknowledgement of 'hey, you've survived and got self-sufficient and are growing your own food! now its time to explore and hurdle new challenges - we can assume you're self sufficient from now on out, would you like to tunr hunger off?'

timn
Mar 16, 2010

I think his point is that there's no functional difference between this being early access and the original game being early access. It's not an add-on to the base game, it's arguably closer to a sequel ala New Vegas.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Any idea if the PS4 version of the new game will be out soon for us unwashed non gaming PC havers?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

TheParadigm posted:

I would like to see a 'chapter 2' segment actually, where it gives you the choice to turn hunger off - as in an acknowledgement of 'hey, you've survived and got self-sufficient and are growing your own food! now its time to explore and hurdle new challenges - we can assume you're self sufficient from now on out, would you like to tunr hunger off?'

a nutrient slurry suit and agriculture machine that turns marblemelons into soylent and then periodically shoves the resulting paste into your mouth

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

Hunger is part of the broader issue where the game has solid Metroidvania-y exploration elements (it's pretty satisfying to figure out how to get 2-3 of something to craft a new item item) but very poor survival/crafting elements (it sucks to mindlessly consume an identical water bottle every 10 minutes while mindlessly gathering 20 of something to craft 10 components I've already crafted).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
can't you just craft a wetsuit that automatically gravity sucks random fish into a waterproof grill and then feeds it into your mouth every 5 minutes. That seems like a reasonable solution. 2 lithium 3 ruby 1 diamond

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sulla Faex posted:

can't you just craft a wetsuit that automatically gravity sucks random fish into a waterproof grill and then feeds it into your mouth every 5 minutes. That seems like a reasonable solution. 2 lithium 3 ruby 1 diamond

In general I think you should be able to render all the rote tasks obsolete with base facilities. You can already handle water and food with melon beds, just need some kind of autominer for various resources.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Fabricate robo-miner. Requires 1 scanner room, 1 propulsion cannon, 2 seamoths, computer chips, copper wire, and enameled glass. Proceed to strip-mine the place.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just started and I'm getting mixed signals from the radio messages I'm getting about the Aurora. I interpreted the "hey the core is gonna go radioactive soon" as a warning, but then when it does you get rewarded with the radiation suit. I put the suit on to hang out closer to the Aurora and now I'm being told that poo poo's gonna hit the fan in 24 hours, but is that just another scripted thing that's supposed to happen or am I actually expected to do something about it this time (or ever)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I just started and I'm getting mixed signals from the radio messages I'm getting about the Aurora. I interpreted the "hey the core is gonna go radioactive soon" as a warning, but then when it does you get rewarded with the radiation suit. I put the suit on to hang out closer to the Aurora and now I'm being told that poo poo's gonna hit the fan in 24 hours, but is that just another scripted thing that's supposed to happen or am I actually expected to do something about it this time (or ever)

You are expected to do something about it but there's no actual time pressure.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Also 24 hours doesn't seem to mean an in-game day. The thing seems to blow up about half an in game day after your PDA tells you its going to go in two hours

timn
Mar 16, 2010
IIRC the radius of the radiation cover will steadily increase to an annoyingly wide area until you go do something about it. This can actually be pretty annoying since wearing the full radiation suit precludes using the rebreather.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

timn posted:

IIRC the radius of the radiation cover will steadily increase to an annoyingly wide area until you go do something about it. This can actually be pretty annoying since wearing the full radiation suit precludes using the rebreather.

It only spreads to a set distance. Still very annoying though.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

There's not even anything valuable in the crash zone either, so the only reason to go there is plot reasons and Prawn suit parts. I wish the crash zone had actual good loot at a depth where you need the rebreather, so you have incentive to both A, unfuck the engine and B, go back there afterwards. That'd also tie in really well with the whole "It explodes sometime into the game" thing, where the crash zone would be really good earlygame salvage that you lose access to after a while.

E: Like, what if the Aurora crashed over a giant chasm, or even an entrance to that late-game zone? Lots of gucci loot at the bottom of the chasm, but you can't reach it immediately after the crash (or with the radiation up) due to depth. Plus you have the opportunity for some good aesthetics, maybe put the entrance to the ship over the chasm itself.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 9, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I actually like to loot the Aurora's surroundings fairly early for the number of easy batteries you can score. They're convenient to grab since you need a lot of them for early crafting and swapping out in your various tools while you're still working on getting a real base set up. I think you can also get a lot of purified water and nutrient bars which is useful if you're playing in survival mode.

EDIT: Not to mention I think you can get few quick scannables in the immediate area too.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Picked this up when it was free, having a lot of fun with it in Freedom mode. I've started spoiling myself a little bit, but I have some minor questions down below. What it really makes me want is a roguelike version, where the planet might make Creepvines or you might have to kill a fish with sinewy structure to get the fabric. Ideally, could swing wide enough so that you might have The Martian setup.

Purple tablet: makes the teleporty aliens wanna come mess with me??
Multipurpose room: I had the scanner & moonpool long before I found them in the floor of that cave. Also how do I stack them? Does that work?
Aurora: Do I have to fix it "before" the explosion?
Seamoth: Does it "attract" enemies? Like the alien can grab me out of it, and the big monster thing broke one of mine. Can i just swim around and be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JawnV6 posted:

Picked this up when it was free, having a lot of fun with it in Freedom mode. I've started spoiling myself a little bit, but I have some minor questions down below. What it really makes me want is a roguelike version, where the planet might make Creepvines or you might have to kill a fish with sinewy structure to get the fabric. Ideally, could swing wide enough so that you might have The Martian setup.

Purple tablet: makes the teleporty aliens wanna come mess with me??
Multipurpose room: I had the scanner & moonpool long before I found them in the floor of that cave. Also how do I stack them? Does that work?
Aurora: Do I have to fix it "before" the explosion?
Seamoth: Does it "attract" enemies? Like the alien can grab me out of it, and the big monster thing broke one of mine. Can i just swim around and be fine?

Multipurpose Room: You can indeed stack them, just build a second one on top of your first one and it'll auto connect if you align it right. Recommend doing this from outside, easier.

Aurora: No, there's no time constraint on that.