Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They were so very good when I saw them last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

I saw them open for Sunn O))) and they kicked rear end. Went in knowing nothing about them and they were fantastic! Definitely worth seeing live if you can.

I saw them open for goatsnake and watched them shoulder to shoulder with Greg Anderson but it's been a few years now

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Holy poo poo, just discovered Lingua Ignotia.

Its like a more organic, electroliturgical female Author&Punisher or something, have no idea how to classify it. Might not fit here, but there's some drone influence, lots of noise, and she toured with The Body.

And her backstory is insane, I'm not the right person to try to explain it, but Noisey did a decent article on her: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/kzqzwn/lingua-ignotas-liturgical-noise-is-a-celebration-of-obliteration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGMJPQNZ34

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
This is extremely my poo poo, I'm buying all her poo poo on bandcamp right now.

edit: just hit the piano and classical singing, gently caress yeah.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 5, 2019

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

It's pretty dope. I just burnt both albums to a cd for my car.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Eat The Rich posted:

It's pretty dope. I just burnt both albums to a cd for my car.
My dude it's 2019 have you considered some form of mp3 player or are you an unfortunate soul who doesn't have an auxiliary input?

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Varg posted:

My dude it's 2019 have you considered some form of mp3 player or are you an unfortunate soul who doesn't have an auxiliary input?

I had a cassette tape thing that broke. My car has a 6 cd thingie, so I've been listening to dopethrone on repeat lol

Also this track of Lingua Ignota's first album is intense and stays that way until screaming and crying. She's incredible.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Eat The Rich posted:

I had a cassette tape thing that broke. My car has a 6 cd thingie...

This is awesome. And I'm being serious.

I still listen to CD's from time to time in my truck as well, although most of the time I utilize the auxiliary input for my old school iPod. I don't have any music on my phone, so I don't bluetooth any music.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I used to stream from Spotify all the time but I like making mixed cds. I also collect vinyl and sometimes they come with a cd and those gotta go somewhere!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Eat The Rich posted:

I used to stream from Spotify all the time but I like making mixed cds. I also collect vinyl and sometimes they come with a cd and those gotta go somewhere!

You might want to go with one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Zj4i7YYsM

:q:

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I feel like it would ruin the record before you even made it out of the driveway

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slothful Bong posted:

Its like a more organic, electroliturgical female Author&Punisher or something, have no idea how to classify it. Might not fit here, but there's some drone influence, lots of noise, and she toured with The Body.

And her backstory is insane, I'm not the right person to try to explain it, but Noisey did a decent article on her: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/kzqzwn/lingua-ignotas-liturgical-noise-is-a-celebration-of-obliteration

I caught her open for The Body last year and she loving put on one hell of a show. It's been seared into my mind, and I've tried to explain her set to a bunch of people and they look at me like I'm a crazy person.

The whole set was lit only by a few metal clamp lights that she arranged as she wanted throughout. For her last song she started with all but one slung over her shoulder and she was swinging it around and screaming curses at us. Eventually the light would stop working and she'd drop it to the floor and grab the next one. She was pacing around in heels, and she'd wind up dragging the broken lights around with her, scraping and clanking while she kept on cursing the crowd.

I know she's at Roadburn this year and she loving deserves it, good on her.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

you should post about her in the industrial/noise thread since that doesn't get hardly any traffic and there's really nothing doomy about her music

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

A human heart posted:

you should post about her in the industrial/noise thread since that doesn't get hardly any traffic and there's really nothing doomy about her music

Will do! I actually didn't even realize there was an industrial/noise thread. Thanks!

I kinda disagree about the last part though. Her music draws from some of the same religious imagery and funerary feelings that have run as an undercurrent in SDS, and while she's making circuit bending orchestral operatic screaming stuff, I can't really disconnect that from the doom side of things.

She's not making doom, but holy hell is she reaching into an utterly bleak and profound/profane place to make her music. And isn't flipping religion's shibboleths on its side a big part of the foundation of sds music to begin with?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It definitely hits the droney doomy marks musically and atmospherically for me. It’s really good stuff too jeez :eyepop:

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

HOF tour cancelled

Matt Pike posted:

"Dear friends, fans. To my brothers, my crew, and anyone else this affects. I do apologize for the inconvenience of this cancelation.

"I feel as though I'm explaining lightning striking twice. For I wanted nothing more in the world to play these songs live, nor ever cancel something I say I'm gonna do.

"I am a warrior for our art and have endured some painful things to what we do. The timing of this and repeating nature are my nightmares and almost impossible. Nevertheless, to save yet another toe, my big one. I have been grounded by circumstances out of my control. I will have more of a medical report to come. Right now I'm at great risk of losing it, and or a bigger portion of my foot due to diabetes. Which I have been managing very well. It just shows how this disease can affect our lives.

"Please forgive me, and if you know anything about me, you know this is not like me. We will be back!!!!"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/high-on-fire-cancels-electric-messiah-tour-2019-due-to-medical-emergency/

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Sucks extra hard for Toke and Year of the Cobra, I've played with both those bands, and they're rad as gently caress bands and people. Toke stocked up extra hard on merch so if you guys wanna get a shirt or album from them I'm sure they would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW_mr2LhdzY

https://tokenc.bandcamp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgacWVlr_i4

https://yearofthecobra.bandcamp.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Shakenbaker posted:

I know she's at Roadburn this year and she loving deserves it, good on her.

Holy poo poo that’s crazy. Always shocks me when industrial/noise/PE stuff somehow breaks through to a big audience. She did that fast, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:stare:

https://vault.thirdmanstore.com/new...uMBuKjxEx_jeNMY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Slothful Bong posted:

Will do! I actually didn't even realize there was an industrial/noise thread. Thanks!

I kinda disagree about the last part though. Her music draws from some of the same religious imagery and funerary feelings that have run as an undercurrent in SDS, and while she's making circuit bending orchestral operatic screaming stuff, I can't really disconnect that from the doom side of things.

She's not making doom, but holy hell is she reaching into an utterly bleak and profound/profane place to make her music. And isn't flipping religion's shibboleths on its side a big part of the foundation of sds music to begin with?

Anti religious stuff is more of a black metal thing that's crossed over to other parts of metal over time, and lots of doom metal(like most stoner stuff) doesn't share it. there's also way more respected pro religion doom metal than probably any other subgenre(Trouble for example).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

Anti religious stuff is more of a black metal thing that's crossed over to other parts of metal over time, and lots of doom metal(like most stoner stuff) doesn't share it. there's also way more respected pro religion doom metal than probably any other subgenre(Trouble for example).

Even Sabbath crossed into that territory at times. Though the best explicitly Christian doom-related band is Paramaecium.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Monolord sell t shirts that picture a burning church on them

And bongripper don't need much explaining either.

Although I will say it's a lot more light hearted than black metal when it comes to the anti religion thing.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Laserface posted:

And bongripper don't need much explaining either.

Satan Worshipping Doom is an explicitly religious piece.:colbert:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Bongripper are very great, but they deserve a better drummer. Better yet, their drummer should stop sucking and start training because I'd hate to see any of em go.

In other news, Sleep announced yesterday and now I have a boner which will apparently last until mid April

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sleep announcing a tour on the same day as High on Fire canceling for the second time is weird. I guess Matt expects to be recovered by April? Either way I wouldn’t make travel plans for it if I were in Europe.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

drat, I am so glad I got to catch HoF when they recorded their two NYC shows for the live albums, and then Sleep at Terminal 5 around the same time.

That was 2013 or so and he was lookin pretty unhealthy, sucks to hear it's diabetes takin his extremities.

Toes on Fire? High on Insulin? I'll let myself out now...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

He's been off the drink for a long time now but yeah it's obviously had lasting effects on his overall health.

It's sucks because he's never played better than that last few times I've seen them. Hopefully he gets on top of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

He's been off the drink for a long time now but yeah it's obviously had lasting effects on his overall health.

It's sucks because he's never played better than that last few times I've seen them. Hopefully he gets on top of it.

Ha I thought you were talking about Bongripper's drummer for a sec

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Laserface posted:

Yeah, the performances I saw were really good - but really, what's with SDS guys and losing toes? Didn't Dixie Dave from Weedeater also do the same?

E: I guess feet don't help you smoke weed, so they're not that important.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Slothful Bong posted:

Yeah, the performances I saw were really good - but really, what's with SDS guys and losing toes? Didn't Dixie Dave from Weedeater also do the same?

E: I guess feet don't help you smoke weed, so they're not that important.

Guys in sludge metal bands are not exactly known for having healthy lifestyles.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Slothful Bong posted:

Didn't Dixie Dave from Weedeater also do the same?

I thought his toe loss was more gun related.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Laserface posted:

Not that long, I was slamming a bottle of Jameson with him about a year ago in an elevator in Dallas. Although a few years ago in California, also in an elevator, he refused a shot from my bottle of Jameson, so yeah, he's up and down.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 9, 2019

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sleep announcing a tour on the same day as High on Fire canceling for the second time is weird. I guess Matt expects to be recovered by April? Either way I wouldn’t make travel plans for it if I were in Europe.

Welp, Matt should know what he's doing :P Either way, they're coming to my town so I rushed to buy an earlybird ticket.

Btw, I'm more excited to see Sleep this year specifically, as the Sleep release was an absolute gem.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 9, 2019

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Mr. Pickles posted:

welp, Matt should know what he's doing :P

Btw, I'm more excited to see Sleep this year specifically, as the Sleep release was an absolute gem.

they were super-tight with great sound in Richmond (although they didn't play enough new stuff). also, as he was walking off the stage, Matt managed to casually flick a pick the length of the venue and catch me in the ear; it hurt enough that i thought someone elbowed me. fortunately, i found the pick and kept it!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Having a foot amputated is pretty metal, but not yet as metal as when the dude from Slayer had flesh eating disease (RIP)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
and both are far more metal than falling off a mall escalator

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
pls don't offer known alcoholics booze

yes I know in the end it's his choice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

and both are far more metal than falling off a mall escalator

But neither are more on brand for a particular band

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Blast Fantasto posted:

Having a foot amputated is pretty metal, but not yet as metal as when the dude from Slayer had flesh eating disease (RIP)

What is the most metal of injuries? I imagine each genre has its own hierarchy of wounds/diseases, so let's stick to SDS.

If some sludge guy got stuck in a furnace, I feel that would take the cake. Maybe a stoner dude dying from his hydro grow collapsing on him? No clue about doom guys, though if Ahab got eaten by a whale I don't think anything could ever top it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Valfar the frontman of Windir froze to death in the frostbitten wilds of Norway. It’s hard to top that.

e: oh wait you said SDS only sorry!