Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Dragon's Crown is a good game and it's a shame the thread for it on the games board never took off because of goons dog piling it to prove how not sexist they are.
Edit:games is filled with some huge rear end tightwads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nier Automata doesnt even look fun

It looks like trash. Why people care extra about it is beyond me

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Nier Automata doesnt even look fun

It looks like trash. Why people care extra about it is beyond me

it's pretty and novel but not a good game, like an anime bioshock infinite

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Smoke Break posted:

Yep, this is the worst opinion in the thread.

Also, you're equally obsessing over the "objectification" of literal polygons. Just as bad as the nerds that sexualize it in the first place.

I really wonder how many of these people are going all Claud Frollo over polygons.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

I'll have you know I'm a woke gamer who only enjoyed Automata after spending half a day adjusting the camera setting not to accidentally sully the experience with unsightly upskirts of video game butts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Dragon's Crown is a good game and it's a shame the thread for it on the games board never took off because of goons dog piling it to prove how not sexist they are.
Edit:games is filled with some huge rear end tightwads

I didn't read that thread but can confirm that it was a good game

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't read that thread but can confirm that it was a good game

I was hoping to find some battle buddies in it but it was just a bunch of brave boys rallying against cartoons tits and asses. Game I enjoyed a lot though it becomes a slog of a grind by the end game.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

a new study bible! posted:

Hey man, Nier is a transcendent game Adjusts camera for a sick upskirt of 2B that speaks to the nature of existence.

Anyone that's played the game knows you don't have to adjust the camera and just self destruct her skirt off.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SpazmasterX posted:

Anyone that's played the game knows you don't have to adjust the camera and just self destruct her skirt off.

You either have enough time to play games or bitch about poo poo in them that has no effect on gameplay. You can't do both. This is the criteria I generally use to find reviewers who aren't loving retarded.

It's also why AVGN is still relevant after 10 years of buffalo diarrhea jokes and Jason Schreir got called a soyboy who loves burly dwarves by a japanese artist who worked on DC despite trying to be a "real games journalist".

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

CrRoMa posted:

Seeing people fawn over Nier Automata (still) is loving sad. Its like star wars, a cool fun time that i enjoyed then moved on with that a certain subset of geeks latch on to and treat with this extreme reverence. Its loving sad when its a movie about spaceships and light swords but its borderline pathetic when its an alright videogame with overtly sexual themes that pander to the audience.

The next stinking nerd that goes on about 2B being the greatest games character ever should be made to go vegan and take up running. gently caress off with obsessing over toys made for teenage boys. Jesus.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

The whole "mini classic systems" craze sucks rear end, but that Neo Geo one is tempting as gently caress and looks 10 times cooler than the rest of them.

The best mini system is the one you make yourself and fill with emulators

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Super Mario 3d World is better than Nier and Breath of the Wild.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best mario game is Mario all stars + super Mario world for snes

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

This is 100% on point, but Yoko Taro has nobody to blame but himself for it.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Nier is so bad that "the game isn't supposed to be fun," is an actual point that people argue to defend it.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
they should make super mario 3d world 2. but make all the levels as hard as champions road

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Nier is so bad that "the game isn't supposed to be fun," is an actual point that people argue to defend it.

The original? People hugely exaggerate how bad it is more than anything. It's just a very mediocre action RPG with some neat ideas that don't really come to fruition.

You are probably thinking of Drakengard or just have been listening to too many memelords.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I dunno who says that. Nier was fun.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

jimmyjams posted:

they should make super mario 3d world 2. but make all the levels as hard as champions road

:hmmyes:

Champion's Road is the best level of any platformer ever. It's so loving hard, but designed perfectly so that anytime you die is your own fault.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

If you thought Nier: A was fun to play you probably really like dynasty warriors.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Unpopular Videogame Opinions About Games You Haven't Played

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Or eating paint

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this thread's got some fuckin dorks in it

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Bionic Commando 2008 is a genuinely good action platformer/third person shooter that was marred by a lovely storyline and unnecessary tonal shift from the first game. It getting slammed by journos for not being an open world game and expecting them to learn how to swing well didn't help either. Also the soundtrack is fantastic so it's a shame it was the death knell of the bionic commando reboot project.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What's your unpopular video game opinion nerd

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

turn your monitor on

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChazTurbo posted:

Bionic Commando 2008 is a genuinely good action platformer/third person shooter that was marred by a lovely storyline and unnecessary tonal shift from the first game. It getting slammed by journos for not being an open world game and expecting them to learn how to swing well didn't help either. Also the soundtrack is fantastic so it's a shame it was the death knell of the bionic commando reboot project.

This isn’t the correct opinion thread.

Also for some reason the game crashes on startup nowadays

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jimmyjams posted:

turn your monitor on

Hahaha drat!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

If you thought Nier: A was fun to play you probably really like dynasty warriors.

Look if you can point me to another game where a big fat dude with a pot can air juggle 50 dudes for an hour alongside a pretty boy with feather fans that shoot lasers and tornadoes I'll happily switch.

I liked Nier (and Automata) but they're definitely more about the story, setting, and music than they are about the gameplay.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the Zelda dynasty warriors is really fun and sometimes you want to run around slicing through entire mobs of dudes

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
koei warriors games are really fun to play if you only play one every five to ten years

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I liked Nier (and Automata) but they're definitely more about the story, setting, and music than they are about the gameplay.

Yeah dude that's what makes them poo poo games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChazTurbo posted:

I think you're talking about Bionic Commando 09 and not ReArmed from 08, right? If so, then I agree, BC09 is one of my absolute favorite games of the PS360 gen. It loving rules, and has the best swinging of any game ever made, not to mention great music and phenomenal level design. Additionally, I loved that the story was an over-the-top 80s action flick and had zero issues with whatever tonal shifts might exist.

RIP Grin.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rearmed is good too but doesn't have dead wife arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91wTtZ2Qg0k

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Rearmed is good too but doesn't have dead wife arm.

My thoughts exactly :colbert:

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

I think you're talking about Bionic Commando 09 and not ReArmed from 08, right? If so, then I agree, BC09 is one of my absolute favorite games of the PS360 gen. It loving rules, and has the best swinging of any game ever made, not to mention great music and phenomenal level design. Additionally, I loved that the story was an over-the-top 80s action flick and had zero issues with whatever tonal shifts might exist.

RIP Grin.

Yeah. My bad. I was year off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo they shot themselves in the foot by making the protag the most generic looking video game dork ever. It may very well be an awesome game that I should play one of these days, but angsty looking white dreadlock guy made it so immediately unappealing.

It came out just when people were really start to hate that style of character design and people really liked that they kept the 80's cheese in REarmed. Just seemed like having the game star some gears of War reject was a super misguided move.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 9, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

veni veni veni posted:

Imo they shot themselves in the foot by making the protag the most generic looking video game dork ever. It may very well be an awesome game that I should play one of these days, but angsty looking white dreadlock guy made it so immediately unappealing.

It came out just when people were really start to hate that style of character design and people really liked that they kept the 80's cheese in REarmed. Just seemed like having the game star some gears of War reject was a super misguided move.

There was that whole period of game design where everything was blotchy brown and bloom and every protagonist had to be a grim brown haired white guy who communicates entirely in scowls and tepid one-liners, or maybe has a mild racial stereotype sidekick to deliver one-liners for him. Dudebro games basically. Which caused everyone to somehow conflate nerds with dudebros despite that I remember nerds were bitching nonstop about it the whole time.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There was that whole period of game design where everything was blotchy brown and bloom and every protagonist had to be a grim brown haired white guy who communicates entirely in scowls and tepid one-liners, or maybe has a mild racial stereotype sidekick to deliver one-liners for him. Dudebro games basically. Which caused everyone to somehow conflate nerds with dudebros despite that I remember nerds were bitching nonstop about it the whole time.

There was a weird dissonance in 09 where spencer would be a lot more hammy/less grimdark in game than in cutscenes. I'd have to hunt it down but I recall reading an article where it's stated that capcom pushed from dreadlock spence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nerds should be happy for being conflated with their betters