Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Xbone goons : posting sweet clips dumping on pubbies. Ps4 goons: whining about no swastikas, posting Vida on bad net code as they aim at rocks and not at any actual enemies, posts on why it's the games fault they can't see enemies and aren't killing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD

Skater h8er posted:

Xbone goons : posting sweet clips dumping on pubbies. Ps4 goons: whining about no swastikas, posting Vida on bad net code as they aim at rocks and not at any actual enemies, posts on why it's the games fault they can't see enemies and aren't killing people.

Hey I got sweet clips but if I upload them they look like rear end :(

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Might as well post some clips I've been hoarding.

I too have visibility issues sometimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJCWgFwuHaw

Using the weapons of the enemy against them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFqM0XMIGgo

Sometimes love can blossom on the battlefield, even if only briefly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPw-XNzpKMU

And yeah shareplay for the ps4 kinda sucks rear end.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

I think people just like to troll you cause you post like an obnoxious pre-teen

1v1 me brah

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t know how I can see enemies perfectly at every distance with my old rear end busted glasses and 1080p tv.

FastestGunAlive posted:

But also who tf thinks the game is absolutely perfect? I’m trying to get that game build thank u dice

It’s the best Battlefield I’ve ever played and my only real issue is not enough customization of your soldiers. Obviously not ~perfect~ but pretty close!

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

WALLGOD posted:

Honestly not sure why people are this hung up on a game where your super soldier avatar can sprint for miles without stopping and can operate every weapon and vehicle with no training all while taking a tank shell to the face and getting up via a magic syringe just to do it all over again.

Edit: in regards to realism

Ughhhhh

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish the overall look was a bit more consistently WW2 (I’m sure this will improve over time) and had swastikas but it’s not the biggest deal. The game is fun enough that none of that stands out noticeably when you’re in the action.

I get where this is coming from. I thought BF1 'felt' very WW1-ish but BFV so far just feels off so far. Like maybe too clean or something. It's hard to put my finger on.

Also they should have actual nazis and stuff but make them lose every game every time.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Idk. I know it's just a videogame and people should not be getting their knowledge from it, but.

When you introduce into cultural miasma a sterilized history to make it safe foreveryone, you risk making it the easy to forget how we got there.

Doomed to repeat and all that jazz.

If you want to say "it's just a video game" you can. God bless.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Bring back the loading screen messages from BF1 but it's all anti-facist quotes and dunking on chuds.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

There isn’t enough of the level changing destruction, like Shanghai, for my taste. It sucks that Devastation is pre-destroyed, that would be a sweet nap to just turn into rubble over the course of a conquest match.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Backprone really can be OP, it’s great. Backprone in certain corners and somehow people are oft blind to your existence even as you mow them down. Even better if a couple die on top of you, now it’s even harder to see that you’re hiding in the corner on your back.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Backprone is effective and also incredibly stupid. If they wanted to improve the new player experience, shooting the backprone option into the sun would be one small step in accomplishing that far better than the misguided "let's increase TTK across the board just after we finished fine tuning the balance" disaster of an idea they went with instead.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Bananana posted:

Idk. I know it's just a videogame and people should not be getting their knowledge from it, but.

When you introduce into cultural miasma a sterilized history to make it safe foreveryone, you risk making it the easy to forget how we got there.

Doomed to repeat and all that jazz.

If you want to say "it's just a video game" you can. God bless.

There's definitely a bit of that. There's practically no "these fuckers are evil" aspect to the Nazis in this, they're almost a sanitised version of the regime, just German soldiers fighting for their country. And again, I get why they went with this. It's a multiplayer game, and you need half the players to be the fascists in each game. A lot of people, most in fact, will just be "alright, I'm the bad guys this round" and that will be that. But in the current social climate there are some people who will enjoy unironically being the Nazis and nobody wants to be the game dev whose work gets weaponised to recruit for actual IRL neo-nazis.

There's no ideal way of handling the situation. If they put in Swastikas and all the fash iconography, it'll end badly. If they don't, it feels... well, not quite WW2 (though it's still a good game that I'm going to enjoy a lot). It just seems that 2018 was a hell of a year to release this game, and even 5 years ago they wouldn't even have had to think SO VERY CAREFULLY about how to address all of this. If aspects of the "feel" and aesthetic of the game are off, I blame the lovely way the world is going right now, not the game devs who had to try and find a way through this minefield.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I just want to play as a pink haired black nazi woman so I can trigger some chuds.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

red19fire posted:

There isn’t enough of the level changing destruction, like Shanghai, for my taste. It sucks that Devastation is pre-destroyed, that would be a sweet nap to just turn into rubble over the course of a conquest match.

I think I've said it before but my all-time favorite Battlefield map is White Pass from Bad Company 2. A quaint village, pristine at the beginning, but every house and building (except for the warehouse at A) can be completely loving leveled. By the end of the map you could always tell where the fighting was because there'd be no houses left in that area.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Kudos to the saints I played with last night who tolerated me not really contributing, and instead chasing my last gold cosmetic assignment for the Zh24.
Got em. Got em coach.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

If you're that upset about the lack of swastikas just create an emblem like all the chuds did in BF1 (when the emblem creator is launched).

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

CornHolio posted:

I think I've said it before but my all-time favorite Battlefield map is White Pass from Bad Company 2. A quaint village, pristine at the beginning, but every house and building (except for the warehouse at A) can be completely loving leveled. By the end of the map you could always tell where the fighting was because there'd be no houses left in that area.

BC2 was so good. I have zero urge to go back to it but man that game really kept me interested the entire time it was at its peak.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Going back to it, bc2 seems so outdated compared to bf4. Roll on bc3 baby, maybe the price of that wont be slashed by 2/3 after a few months

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They can't put swastikas on the planes in IL2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad because they're banned in Russia (it's Russian devs) and they would get the youtube videos featuring them banned too. So they put this little series of 4 squares that stand in for it. Now obviously you can mod it in since it's PC but I already kind of got used to the whole "no swastikas for political reasons" thing. It's dumb but unfortunate. If we didn't have a IRL nazi problem it wouldn't be so bad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beastie posted:

If you're that upset about the lack of swastikas just create an emblem like all the chuds did in BF1 (when the emblem creator is launched).

Nobody is upset (here, anyway), but since Dice is big on the Serious Documentary Of War approach to the storytelling, and period correctness of weapons and environments and such, there's a pretty big thing missing from the environments. Not talking about uniforms or logos or anything, more things like world details. No banners or flags in Aerodrome, things like that. poo poo, Raiders of the Lost Ark was more period correct. Not that I give a poo poo either way, it could be set in space for all I care, it's just shoot mans at the end of the day.
Actually now that I think anout it, dear Dice could you make an unlockable/add on Stetson and bullwhip dress up set please?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

stevey666 posted:

Going back to it, bc2 seems so outdated compared to bf4. Roll on bc3 baby, maybe the price of that wont be slashed by 2/3 after a few months

I cannot wait for a BC3.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why did they remove the swastikas? Are we trying to censor nazis out of history or something

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CornHolio posted:

this except that map where you start in the desert military base on top of the hill and roll down into the dusty town on the way to the port

God drat BC2 ruled just do it over again with updated textures and bigger maps

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Rumor was the next game is gonna be BC3 set in Korea.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Zzulu posted:

Why did they remove the swastikas? Are we trying to censor nazis out of history or something

They have never been included in a BF game. Some people think Dice is doing a disservice to the memory of WW2 by not having them in this game. I lump these people in with the same people complaining about women in the game.

I know that the posters asking about the swastikas are in no way upset about women in the game, but it's the same level of pedantry to me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I just want to know why

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
edit

Zzulu posted:

I just want to know why

Why what?

You know what this game really needs? More tanks and airplanes and 400 person servers.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why the symbol is banned? Was it a rallying thing for real nazis or somethng?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Bruh. Look like four posts up. In some countries you can’t publish games with Nazi imagery. In the modern era they could do independent builds or versions or something by region/country but why put that effort in. They can easily foster a game that has ww2 feels without including swastikas, I’d say they’ve done an okay job at that. Sure there’s lots of iconic stuff missing (battles, weapons, vehicles, uniforms) but they also have that whack rear end release map they published. We gonna get more stuff eventually.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Yes

Also it's illegal in certain countries, I know in Germany at least and apparently Russia

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Zzulu posted:

Are you seriously asking if the loving swastika is a rallying icon for nazis? Because uhhhhh... yeah it is.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Zzulu posted:

did you just de-thaw from like 30 year cryo-sleep or something?

DEBATE ME BITCH
Jan 5, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julius CSAR posted:

Are you seriously asking if the loving swastika is a rallying icon for nazis? Because uhhhhh... yeah it is.

lol

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Beastie posted:

They have never been included in a BF game.

Really? Couda swore I saw a couple in BF1...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Beastie posted:

Literally no-one is saying that, and people making nazi imagery in the emblem creator is precisely WHY we can't get a more authentic WW2 game because look at the state of it.

Finger Prince posted:

Nobody is upset (here, anyway), but since Dice is big on the Serious Documentary Of War approach to the storytelling, and period correctness of weapons and environments and such, there's a pretty big thing missing from the environments. Not talking about uniforms or logos or anything, more things like world details. No banners or flags in Aerodrome, things like that.

Basically this. It's not just the logo, it's more that the overall visual language is just missing a certain something something. I think the customisation options exacerbate this somewhat too, as Allied soldiers are a real mishmash of British and American uniforms. They look mostly period appropriate, but it's not that whole cohesive and... well, uniform... look that you expect.

BF1 nailed the visual silhouette thing, with the whole support class gets backpacks, recon had long coats/capes, medics had crutches etc. I know some people like the customisation, but going to this after having classes you could eyeball from 200 metres, AND the other stuff about it not quite looking like WW2 due to a variety of things that don't follow the expected WW2 visual language we are all familiar with, and it's just all a little off.

But still having a good time with the game, and certainly when the vehicles are in play it gets much more of the experience I want from a WW2 game. Just can't yet find a class and/or weapon that clicks with me. In BF1 I was naturally drawn to scout and support, here I'm flailing in every category. Doesn't help that I hate the Lee Enfield so I need a bolt action more to my suiting.

I miss melee kills too. So far I've only got one, and I'm peering down iron sights at long distance targets more than I expected. Combat is happening at more extreme ranges this time, chokepoints around flags excepted. I still wanna unlock bayonets for any gun that can fit them, because I will not let that die in 2019.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Bayonet charges were broken garbage for the whole of BF1 and it's extremely good they they are gone.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Someone doesn’t like it up 'em.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Several rifles and the M1897 shotgun have bayonet options in the unlock tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I don’t mind melee kills taking a few hits at full health, but the forced kill animation on the final stab is annoying