Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

DoctorWhat posted:

I've never understood this attitude. There's a subset of players who, it seems, are remarkably resistent to the idea of getting better at fighting games/smash in a way you never see with, for instance, Celeste or other games that gate content behind challenges.

I wonder what it is that leads to this weird learned helplessness. Why buy a fighting game if you don't want to enjoy playing it?

Funny you bring up Celeste, the game with loads of optional cheats anyone can use, none of which will mark your save file with a big cheater icon or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn I love that transition into heavy synth. Is this track at all in ultimate?

I wish :smith:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I like when you get a Pokeball and throw it and a Pokemon helps you for a bit. That should be a feature in more games. That should be in the next Zelda

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah the easy way to win new challenger battles is world of light but that's gonna take way longer unfortunately

i love unlocking characters tho. we were smashing at my friend's place and it's fun cheering on the winner of a match when a new character shows up

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
lol one of Simon's combos ends with him leaping to his death

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So I got a kick rear end bonus and want to get a Switch, probably 80% to play Smash. It'd be my first new console since the Wii. Any suggestions on the best place to snag one at this point? I imagine the holiday bundles and whatnot are basically done.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s going to be basically the same anywhere. I wouldn’t recommend getting a used one, there’s some durability issues with sticks and d-pads and the joycons are a big enough fraction of the price I wouldn’t want to roll the dice on used ones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn I love that transition into heavy synth. Is this track at all in ultimate?

No. None of the battle tracks from Earthbound are in any Smash. It’s a shame.

I’d love to see Porky as a DLC character.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

shirts and skins posted:

So I got a kick rear end bonus and want to get a Switch, probably 80% to play Smash. It'd be my first new console since the Wii. Any suggestions on the best place to snag one at this point? I imagine the holiday bundles and whatnot are basically done.

You won't really save any money on it, but if you're into Diablo, Gamestop has a pretty cool looking exclusive Switch. They may still have them.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. None of the battle tracks from Earthbound are in any Smash. It’s a shame.

I’d love to see Porky as a DLC character.

I'd take Pokey instead.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s going to be basically the same anywhere. I wouldn’t recommend getting a used one, there’s some durability issues with sticks and d-pads and the joycons are a big enough fraction of the price I wouldn’t want to roll the dice on used ones.

Personally, if I HAD to go used, I would get a refurbished one from Nintendo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

Personally, if I HAD to go used, I would get a refurbished one from Nintendo.

Yeah, my refurb 2DS was really good and I didn’t have any quality problems at all. I mean, my new one is two weeks old and its stick is a bit jacked up already so who knows if buying new will save you anyway.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Thanks all! Hoping play over the internet works passably for Smash, it would be way cool for me to be able to connect with my friend a few states away.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Bought myself a switch for xmas. Great playing stuff in bed. First and only full priced game was Smash so far. I think it's an awesome game but the music for the opening video is so bad it is in fact shameful and even when I am in my bed alone I slam the lower volume button or press start to skip it. Thanks for listening.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Just got one for my dad. What are the best games we can get? Prefer co-op multiplayer. He also likes donkey Kong, I like scrolling shooters.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

burritonegro posted:

Just got one for my dad. What are the best games we can get? Prefer co-op multiplayer. He also likes donkey Kong, I like scrolling shooters.

The eShop has arcade ports of DK and DKjr for 8 bucks a pop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Maybe there wasn’t a Direct scheduled after all.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1082804144698585088

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
:great:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Zelda 2
Blaster Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJb8KSG1q74

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
also :great:

yosh trailer for the yosh story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcndZNVUxFM

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Only two games?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Oh hell yes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Reminder that you can get the JP version of the Nintendo Online app and potentially be able to play Zelda II with the FM channels from the Famicom Disk System in it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Only two games?

These are both worth two games each. We are getting 4 games worth. :toot:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Japan gets that weird fighting game too.

A weak month. Blaster Master is a good game, but Zero is the definitive version.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

A weak month. Blaster Master is a good game, but Zero is the definitive version.

It's good that those free games won't distract people from the more important gaming activity of this month, buying copies of Travis Strikes Again

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

It's good that those free games won't distract people from the more important gaming activity of this month, buying copies of Travis Strikes Again

:yeah:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Joy Mech Fight and it's a fun game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQ1mvtXcd4

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

November was also two games if you don't count the SP one.

Zelda 2 and Blaster Master both extremely good though.

Blaster Master Zero isn't really the definitive version of this game. It's a better game, it's a modern reimagining with tighter controls, but it isn't a remake, the map and scenario and powerups are different outside of a few areas. So if you've already played Zero, this has shittier controls, but is definitely different content worth playing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have released it here and called it the Joy Mech Club.

By the way, you can play any famicom game with your American Nintendo Switch Online account. You just need to create a Japanese profile and Nintendo account, log onto the Japanese eShop and download their Famicom app for free, but then open the app with your profile linked to your American Nintendo account.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 9, 2019

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1082811695142072320

Just wait until Pokemon Switch is just casually dropped.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol they're just tweeting the direct

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah, at first I was like hell yeah blaster Master but then I remembered that Zero was the first game I bought on there and it's great.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Lol they're just tweeting the direct

Guess we’re not getting one this month since that Yoshi trailer + date really seems like something they’d save for it.

Both are good choices but they should have given us a US only game too like Startropics or something to make up for the balance with the Japanese selections.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Y'all were talking about Dragon's Dogma earlier and yea its really good. I bought and played through it 3 times now. Really fun combat, amazing dungeon crawling, especially in the bitterblack isle stuff, and it has the best spell casting in any game ever made. No other game makes sorcerers feel as powerful and cool as Dragon's Dogma. Look at these gifs

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm getting reports that the Isaac update will be up on Switch tomorrow at 6pm.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm getting reports that the Isaac update will be up on Switch tomorrow at 6pm.

Sweet. I was just thinking of getting back into that game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
What's the update add?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The skeleton character and a bunch of new pills if I remember correctly.

Final update until the official Antibirth expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m stoked to play Zelda 2, I never had it as a kid and the platforming intrigues me