Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dareon posted:

Personally, I want less of the huge tracts of land animal cultures, more small claves that you can pick as a challenge option. A family of dragons in Wales, the Cat Queen of Egypt, sweep up out of Subsaharan Africa as a hedgehog Khagan...

Yeah I'd like an option that generates animals but where the animal regions are smaller than "ducks own the entire continent of Africa." It seems like missed potential when playing animals usually starts you in a giant monoculture blob, maybe bordering another giant monoculture blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Playing my first game, as an irish earl as is often recommended.

I was pretty pleased with myself when I married the heirless duchess of York, making my son the heir, but as soon as my wife died (I didn't do it, really!) he ran off to live in England and lost all claim to Ireland. If I had died before my wife, would the opposite have happened (he'd lose the claim to York)? If I had given him some land in my domain, would he have stayed my vassal and heir when my wife died?

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I suspect the issue there is that you're on either Gavelkind or Tanistry. If York was on Primogeniture you would've been fine, if it was on Gavelkind you might still be screwed but tbh I'm not sure

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, right! So where are they stored? I assume in the CK2 folder in your Windows profile, but is there a separate folder for shattered worlds, or are they tucked away somewhere else?
(Since yeah, that might explain a few things, seeing as I have generated quite a few new shattered worlds... :v:)

C:\Users\{user}\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\save games\alternate_start

MinistryofLard posted:

Do they not get cleared automatically?

no

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Crusades are SUPER op when they unlock early. The Pope probably paid me 15k in total, allowing me to finance a takeover of Byzantium from within by like 1000. The giving you vast sums of gold just for taking part is tuned at a ridiculous level, as I've never had this much legitimately before. (I've never done a merchant playthrough)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
If anyone feels like they just can't get enough CK2 from the Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings 2 the video game, I recommend you seek out a copy of Barbra Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. It's historical non-fiction written in a very narrative style that details just how crazy, intense, unbelievable, petty, and wild the actual events of the 1300s are. It doesn't read like a dull history textbook talking about the past, instead it feels very alive with people were scheming up the same type of poo poo they still do today - or perhaps even more.

https://www.amazon.com/Distant-Mirror-Calamitous-14th-Century-ebook/dp/B004R1Q296

Some of the CK2 plots/scenarios aren't ridiculous enough to match reality. For example, if you thought the "borrow money from the jews, then expel the jews for free money" move was little too gamey, consider one upping your game to match that of real life rear end in a top hat father/son combo Phillip "the Fair" and Louis X. In 1306 Phillip "the Fair" expelled the Jews, wiping out not only his own debt, but that of many peasants in his domain. Later, his son, Louis X invited them back and restored the peasant debts to the Jews (exempting his own of course) on the condition that the crown recover a 2/3 share of whatever the Jews could collect on their old debts.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 8, 2019

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

Crusades are SUPER op when they unlock early. The Pope probably paid me 15k in total, allowing me to finance a takeover of Byzantium from within by like 1000. The giving you vast sums of gold just for taking part is tuned at a ridiculous level, as I've never had this much legitimately before. (I've never done a merchant playthrough)
Nomads also get stupid amounts of gold and nothing to spend it on

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

lurksion posted:

I mean it's totally going bite him in the rear end because once I figure out how to get the duchy of Jerusalem, I'm coming for him next. :v: Even with the buffs to playing as a Catholic I can't seem to do anything but go Pagan, especially now that Hellenism is playable.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

lurksion posted:

It all goes towards making your horde bigger so you can get more land to pillage so you can get more gold so you can make your horde bigger...

Really just sink all of it into merceneraries so you can go to war with China.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Captain Beans posted:

In 1306 Phillip "the Fair" expelled the Jews, wiping out not only his own debt, but that of many peasants in his domain. Later, his son, Louis X invited them back and restored the peasant debts to the Jews (exempting his own of course) on the condition that the crown recover a 2/3 share of whatever the Jews could collect on their old debts.

Phillip the Unfair, more like :smug:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Personally I like the story of the Knights Templar lending out money and then the King of France accused them all of heresy and destroyed them.

lurksion posted:

Kind of accurate? Some steppe nomads wound up with ridiculous amounts of wealth (at least from a eurocentric perspective) from being able to control the silk road, but it's not like they were gonna build something huge with all that cash.

When the Mongols conquered China and then popped up in the west, there are accounts of them wearing fine, fine clothing, but then all tattered and such because the mongols didn't believe in washing laundry. Like they were all bankers who lost all their money in the stock market.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally I like the story of the Knights Templar lending out money and then the King of France accused them all of heresy and destroyed them.

The origin of Friday the 13th

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

If anyone feels like they just can't get enough CK2 from the Paradox Interactive's Crusader Kings 2 the video game, I recommend you seek out a copy of Barbra Tuchman's A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century. It's historical non-fiction written in a very narrative style that details just how crazy, intense, unbelievable, petty, and wild the actual events of the 1300s are. It doesn't read like a dull history textbook talking about the past, instead it feels very alive with people were scheming up the same type of poo poo they still do today - or perhaps even more.

https://www.amazon.com/Distant-Mirror-Calamitous-14th-Century-ebook/dp/B004R1Q296

Some of the CK2 plots/scenarios aren't ridiculous enough to match reality. For example, if you thought the "borrow money from the jews, then expel the jews for free money" move was little too gamey, consider one upping your game to match that of real life rear end in a top hat father/son combo Phillip "the Fair" and Louis X. In 1306 Phillip "the Fair" expelled the Jews, wiping out not only his own debt, but that of many peasants in his domain. Later, his son, Louis X invited them back and restored the peasant debts to the Jews (exempting his own of course) on the condition that the crown recover a 2/3 share of whatever the Jews could collect on their old debts.

I feel like that's either a sarcastic nickname or he was pale or blond.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Changing clothes is a lot more complicated than you'd think too. I've tried mucking around in save files to replace certain digits of the Properties string, but it always changes back to what was already there if a character changes into their armor and back.

There used to be a little mod on the PDX forums called Customizable Attire that unfortunately went defunct once Holy Fury came out -- I tried messing around with that to see if I could bring it up to date but oof, I can barely figure out how it even works.

I think Better Garbs has that functionality now?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SlothfulCobra posted:

Kind of accurate? Some steppe nomads wound up with ridiculous amounts of wealth (at least from a eurocentric perspective) from being able to control the silk road, but it's not like they were gonna build something huge with all that cash.

When the Mongols conquered China and then popped up in the west, there are accounts of them wearing fine, fine clothing, but then all tattered and such because the mongols didn't believe in washing laundry. Like they were all bankers who lost all their money in the stock market.

steppe tribal confederations were primarily oriented towards trade. they didn't accumulate fortunes inadvertently or by accident, it was the #1 goal of most steppe leaders; chinggis was actually an exception to this rule, given that his repeatedly stated motivation was literally to be recognized as king of the entire world (although even in that case, his invasion of Khwarizm was made significantly easier by collaboration with muslim merchant cartels who found the mongols easier to work with). i'm not familiar with that particular anecdote but tbh it sounds like dan carlin racist bs, like the ol "mongols didn't recognize other cultures as even human maaaaaaan" canard

sorry if i come off as testy, but central asia and pastoral nomadism are a central area of research for me and it's exhausting how much accumulated cultural baggage is hung on the "steppe savages" myth

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah, the popular image of the Mongols is as a huge horde of nothing but scary horse archers but they were really into assimilating other cultures into their army and they were very open to other religions. The Mongols that arrived in Europe were a hugely diverse group some of them armed with cutting edge technology like firearms and explosives.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Fuligin posted:

sorry if i come off as testy, but central asia and pastoral nomadism are a central area of research for me and it's exhausting how much accumulated cultural baggage is hung on the "steppe savages" myth
tell us some more.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

“The fair” generally refers to looks, not morality

Speaking of something I really dislike in CK2 is how common nicknames are. They should be relatively rare for exceptional individuals or genuinely unique people; when I see that every duke-level pagan has a nickname related to arm wrestling and the past 6 Byzantine emperors are named “son of satan” I get pissed off. Don’t get me started on the combat event that forces you to choose between 4 lovely nicknames or that sponsoring a mass conversion, even of a two county duke in the middle of nowhere, gets you “the missionary”.

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 9, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
one tengri game i got "the horse shepherd" twice because of those remote conversion events and holy crap is that a stupid nickname

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

“The fair” generally refers to looks, not morality

Speaking of something I really dislike in CK2 is how common nicknames are. They should be relatively rare for exceptional individuals or genuinely unique people; when I see that every duke-level pagan has a nickname related to arm wrestling and the past 6 Byzantine emperors are named “son of satan” I get pissed off. Don’t get me started on the combat event that forces you to choose between 4 lovely nicknames or that sponsoring a mass conversion, even of a two county duke in the middle of nowhere, gets you “the missionary”.

Yeah, nicknames are annoyingly common at the emperor level. The problem is that generally they're awarded at high prestige and when you're an emperor you can do literally nothing your entire life and still be making GBS threads prestige just because of all the titles you hold. Not to mention all the "automatic" titles from various way of life focuses or other event chains.

Actually an easy fix for the way of life/event granted ones would be to limit them to some kind of cooldown once it's been awarded, to represent the fact that like, someone building a really neat observatory is noteworthy the first time someone does it, less so for the 15th. This would probably mean the AI eats them all up pretty quickly, but you could make the cooldown start only when a player gets one of those titles (or maybe make it a game rule so you could choose).

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If it makes you feel better, nicknames are annoyingly common at the emperor level in real life. Without them, how would we tell Anastasius Dikoros The Two-Pupils from Constantine the Fifth The poo poo-Named? Most rulers of that period just putzed around for a few years before choking to death on a pretzel. The nicknames were a necessary shorthand to keep medieval scholars from eating a crossbow.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

At least give me a dropdown to select which nickname I want, assuming I qualify for several

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I think Better Garbs has that functionality now?

It does, but Better Garbs is hideous IMO. I wish they'd release that function separately from the rest of the mod.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
You ever try to get people to call you a nickname of your own choice in real life?

Granted, you and me aren't emperors.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my current game the dude I started out as was an absolute beast and git the name "The Great Lion". His descendants, aside from old "Knuckle Slammer", have been lame-os like "The Squealer" and "The Milkdrinker".

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

It does, but Better Garbs is hideous IMO. I wish they'd release that function separately from the rest of the mod.

Oh, I thought... n/m, I thought you were trying to do the same thing I was and look at the functionality of things like that to figure out how to mod things to change portrait-wise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yadoppsi posted:

One last question: how do I make zoroastrian Divine marriage work? There's exactly 1 kid in the 2nd generation who doesn't have one of the negative purple genetic traits. At least I'll be able to introduce some diversity into the Gene pool because the Caliph's sister is in my dungeons and will soon enough be my new rulers concubine.

go full satan, seduction focus, crap out as many kids as you can and eat/sacrifice the ones that get bad traits

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
satan is the best way to clear out people you don't need or like

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
mod idea: give dog and cat cultures the ability to castrate prisoners, change the text to "Neuter Prisoner"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, I thought... n/m, I thought you were trying to do the same thing I was and look at the functionality of things like that to figure out how to mod things to change portrait-wise.

Oh, gotcha. True, I haven't poked around inside that one too much yet, but I remember someone on the PDX forums asking about separating the functionalities and the creator said it was too ingrained with the rest of the mod to separate. Probably worth looking into, though.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
I am diving into CK2 again after a long absence and was wondering what the current up-to-date beginner/noob/newbie learning guides&advice are.

Basically, where to start, what to do, and so on and so forth, to get to learn and experience the game a bit alongside all the awesome stuff the DLC brought.
Also any recommended mods?

Any and all information is very welcome! Especially detailed (i.e., Count X in year Y focus on Z).

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Newbie island is Ireland in the 1067 start. Pick a count with a vassal and go for gold. If you've already played it before you should be able to pick it up again and find out the changes along the way.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wouldn't a Shattered World where everyone's a one-province dude and with defensive pacts/Mongols/Aztecs turned off be better? In the early game, you don't have to worry so much about politicking, just conquering dudes for a bit. Then as you go on and your realm expands, you hand off your lands to just enough dukes to manage, and thence forth. With a few Great Conquerors around you can even have larger realms to play off against.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
How the gently caress did this happen. Somehow one of my clans managed to split itself sending me over max clans (which normally can never go above 9)

I guess that a kingdom was created, but did not have its inheritance synced up for some reason. And :iiam: happened and it somehow spawned a new nomadic clan title instead of just doing a feudal?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 10, 2019

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Should I be taking a prestige hit for landless sons while following an Enatic clans religion? That doesn't seem quite right.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So a neighbouring kingdom asked for my help in converting their nation- what should I expect? I suspect it's because her realm's sandwiched between my empire and another, but for *~roleplaying~* reasons I decided toa ccept her offer and sent my Court Imam to preach in her capital. Did I do a stupid?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommissarMega posted:

So a neighbouring kingdom asked for my help in converting their nation- what should I expect? I suspect it's because her realm's sandwiched between my empire and another, but for *~roleplaying~* reasons I decided toa ccept her offer and sent my Court Imam to preach in her capital. Did I do a stupid?

Depends? Were you planning on conquering that territory later? Then you just lost the easiest CB to do so.

It's basically an event chain to simulate the Byzantine Orthodox conversion of Kievan Rus. You're sponsoring their conversion to Islam, send them imams to help that process, get event where you can send them gold to build mosques, etc. It's a cool event chain, I recommend you try this out at least once.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Magil Zeal posted:

Should I be taking a prestige hit for landless sons while following an Enatic clans religion? That doesn't seem quite right.

The real prestige hit is for having sons, giving them land just makes people grumble and say "yeah okay fine"

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

MaxieSatan posted:

The real prestige hit is for having sons, giving them land just makes people grumble and say "yeah okay fine"

The trick is, of course, that I believe having enatic succession prevents you from actually giving land to sons :v:

Guess I'll just marry them off to foreign kingdoms.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I'm having a mysterious prestige drain, there's no pop up or anything in the log I can see. I'd just go from 15k prestige down to like 1k. I only noticed because I saw the ambition to become exalted and was very, very confused. The only thing I could figure is that my first daughter would constantly leave and rejoin my court. I landed her to stop that, would that be the issue? It's very weird to just lose prestige with no warning, and it wasn't a passive drain since my prestige gain was at +50 a month the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Magil Zeal posted:

Huh, that's odd, I'm playing an Enatic game right now and I'm 99% certain the landless sons prestige hit disppeared when I reformed.