Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

S.J. posted:

And I can't speak for anyone else, but in my area we had a few individuals who were dead fixed on being huge pieces of poo poo and intentionally trying to get the game to die in the area, including going out of their way to lie to local players about whether or not people were playing, where they were playing, and even lying to Carl at Warmachine Weekend about there being no one in the area that would be interested in organizing a WMW qualifier. And these guys regularly talked to a lot of players/organizers all over the country.

Yeah there's that too. I think it's just weird console-wars style tribalism. People are super susceptible to that kinda poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah there's that too. I think it's just weird console-wars style tribalism. People are super susceptible to that kinda poo poo.

Well, in this persons case, it was a long time habit of his to try and sabotage games and poo poo on local player groups. Fortunately I don't have to deal with him anymore!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I do think that WH40k’s resurgence is a major factor, and it’s one I hadn’t considered. When it’s good, it really is the 800 pound gorilla in the room, taking up all the space and choking off other games. Wargames live and die by having a critical mass of players and once they start to dip, they can spiral fast.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I'm in a really similar boat to Koreban, in that shortly after mk3 came out I stopped playing weekly, and since then (like around two years ago is it?) I haven't really played, despite wanting to. It's a two hour drive to my gaming store, and doing that, knowing ill only get one or two games in its pretty rough, but knowing that I won't recognise the list I'm against and it will almost certainly be an "opportunity for learning" (read: loss) makes it doubly unappealing. I think you really have to be able to play often to be able to play at all now, is the problem.

What has also factored in for me is playing Rhulic and Cephalyx. I'm well aware that they were never going to be as well supported, and that's totally fine. But when Mk3 came out, they didn't update the rules for Mercs for a long old time, so it felt like this limbo, where games weren't 'real', like, these aren't the real rules so it didn't count. Almost everyone got buffs, so that we hadn't felt like the battles were skewed. When they finally sorted it all, they announced a round of CID for everyone, so almost immediately again it felt like "well these still aren't the PROPER rules" so games felt a bit weird. I can totally appreciate that this is more a me thing than a PP thing, but I honestly wish they hadn't been as explicit with the "rolling CID updates" biz. The net result is basically the same (factions get buffed when they look in need of one) but there's also this feeling that like, models who have been through a CID are better than ones that haven't, so CID vs non-CID isn't a real game...?

I think, an important distinction in all of this though, is not that the balance or game or maintaining of the game or even complexity of the game is bad, I think the only problem with Warmachine at the moment is the perception of it. Like, if PP created a separate website that was just analysis of different lists, with nice photos, and detailed explainers on how they worked and why, it would go a really long way. At the moment, if a CID comes out and I don't follow it, after it's released I can't really work out the implications just by looking in war room. So I feel a bit lost. A site that just tracked a few current lists for each faction, that I knew was officially updated regularly, would be super helpful.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 7, 2019

MetricUnit
Jan 2, 2005

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did the IKRPG content released in No Quarter get collected in a book? I'm trying to track down some of the stuff put out across several issues.

http://ikrpg.info/ has a really great publication index for looking up any abilities/careers/etc

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Warmachine Weekend qualifiers and points series just went up! Super excited that our local event, the Bugeater GT, got selected as a qualifier event again this year!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

hell yes Kingdom Con, I can't wait

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I picked up a Khador battle box for this journeyman league (although I played Khador a couple years back I didn’t have the caster or a Decimator) and holy poo poo this is the worst plastic I’ve ever worked with. The mold lines on the legs aren’t raised lines, they’re slight indents - it goes much of the way around the leg so it almost seems like 2 halves that were badly fused together. There’s a huge lump of residual plastic on the hood plate over the head and weird swirling patterns like giant fingerprints on the body. I’ve put together plenty of plastic jacks and lots of models from other games and never seen anything this bad. How did they think this was acceptable quality control, especially for brand new players/hobbyists? Not trying to be a hater, just genuinely baffled.

I’d send it back for a replacement in the hopes that this was a bad batch (but I’ve heard lots of other complaints) but the league starts Thursday. So these bad boys are getting a LOT of battle damage.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

That era of their plastics are notoriously lovely.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, those are by far the most inconsistent plastics ever. Sometimes they're perfectly fine and sometimes they're just hosed. Sorry dude.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Fortunately my Khador Army is very thematically battle damaged to cover my lovely painting skills. So once I’m done with the first few weeks of this journeyman I’m chopping the arms off this Juggernaut and Decimator and turning them into Marauders.

Continuing Khador chat: for those folks looking for Man o War Strike Tankers, Discount Games Inc should have them back in stock today.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Grymkin CID: Welcome to the Year of the Pig! :woop:

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

The CID system of course does one thing that Warmahordes had always avoided in the past. When books dropped they used to drop for every faction - or at least for half the factions. This meant that although there was power creep in the game it was never "The most powerful faction is the one with the most recent army book". That's just obnoxious. And as a Skorne player the whole thing about Mk3 was half-assed.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

My wife and I used to play WarmaHordes, but stopped around 2014. We’re starting to get back into it, but keep seeing people talk about CID. I didn’t see anything in the OP, so can someone explain what CID is?

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2019

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Community Induced Development. PP puts up rules for upcoming models and existing models in need of buff/nerfs. The community is asked to test those and report back, with updates every week to proposed rules.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Community Induced Development. PP puts up rules for upcoming models and existing models in need of buff/nerfs. The community is asked to test those and report back, with updates every week to proposed rules.

Is this the reason I can’t as easily find lists online as I used to?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Not that I'm aware? Though, they shut down their official forums, save for the CID portion. As a result, much of the discussions have moved on to Facebook.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

Not that I'm aware? Though, they shut down their official forums, save for the CID portion. As a result, much of the discussions have moved on to Facebook.

Maybe that’s it. Today I Googled “Harbinger of Menoth List” and got almost nothing from MK3.

Fake edit: I guess that could be because Harbinger sucks now, but that doesn’t even make sense to my MK2 brain.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Maybe that’s it. Today I Googled “Harbinger of Menoth List” and got almost nothing from MK3.

Fake edit: I guess that could be because Harbinger sucks now, but that doesn’t even make sense to my MK2 brain.

http://wmh-wtc.com/
Slightly out of date due to when it was, and also potentially issues as the lists are built with the team format in mind. Still useful though.

https://www.discountgamesinc.com/tournaments
Use the filter on the left to get down to Menoth->Harby and you'll see people were doing business with Harby at the tail end of the year, so she's still legit.

I think the lack of the forum means most poo poo goes on in FB groups now - which suck for searchability.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Conflict chamber is where a lot of lists get stored, which I think is what the DGI lists are made from.

Harbinger is pretty strong in the Exemplar or Faithful Masses theme from what I remember though.

Iceclaw posted:

The forums are still there, just not the faction specific subforums.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Harbinger is back to being one of the best casters in the faction, her feat bubble is just smaller now

Protectorate Army - 75 / 75 points
[Theme] The Faithful Masses

[Harbinger 1] The Harbinger of Menoth [+27]
- Crusader [10]
- Devout [9]
- Sanctifier [14]
Allegiant of the Order of the Fist [3]
Champion of the Order of the Wall [8]
Champion of the Order of the Wall [8]
First Mate Hawk [4]
High Paladin Dartan Vilmon [0(6)]
Paladin of the Order of the Wall [4]
The Covenant of Menoth [0(4)]
Choir of Menoth (min) [4]
Idrian Skirmishers (max) [15]
- Idrian Skirmisher Chieftain & Guide [0(5)]
Press Gangers (max) [12]
- Attendant Priest [3]

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I think the only menoth casters that don't really see play at all are feora1/2 and durant. Warmachine casters always kinda run together for me though. Like I remember looking at the Cygnar list and only being able to remember what half of them do. Horde casters always feels more differentiated, I dunno.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah she was in a sad place for a while and then Faithful Masses showed up with a million nice things for her:

* Allegiants
* Champions
* a guaranteed wall to hide behind
* a damage buff for any heavies she takes
* access to merc units in theme

and then the Exemplar changes provided:
* CMD10 -> 12 (a huge change)
* more warjack points

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Harkano posted:

I think the lack of the forum means most poo poo goes on in FB groups now - which suck for searchability.

It's pretty much this. With everything being on facebook, stuff's all fragmented and it's much harder for anyone to find any good resources unless you are willing to give Zuck your entire life history.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
There's also Lormahordes if you want a more traditional forum with everything in one place.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

So is there a schedule for this year's CID yet? Even if Pigs aren't going to get much in the way of new models it would be nice to have some of the older stuff get overhauled so it's more usable.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
So far nothing. I imagine we would see more information coming out once Hungerford and co can plan it all out and we should see something in the near future with the dev hangouts.

Then again after seeing all the nerds get angry at pirates getting taken off the schedule maybe they’ll go back to everything is a mystery?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Infernals should be next month, but we haven't heard of anything after that. Farrow definitely need help, so I wouldn't be shocked if they get at least a look at their rules.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

HMS Beagle posted:

Infernals should be next month, but we haven't heard of anything after that. Farrow definitely need help, so I wouldn't be shocked if they get at least a look at their rules.

I really hope they do, because I've always thought Pigs were cooler than Gators. Barnabus 2 excluded, of course.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Let’s all pray that this the year of Carver on a chariot and, if their really is a God, that we get the Pigtaur.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I think the whole idea they've been trying to hammer into people since CID started is that there is no fixed yearly schedule, outside of a new faction. They're running CIDs off their model production schedule, which they publicly want to keep a mystery. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a Carver2 for this year.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I feel like Minions has been in a weird place through all of MK3, and with Grymkin getting a second CID before Pigs, it seems like they're on a plane for releases/work even below the 'limited' factions. And I can live with that, but I'd like them to take the time to communicate about it better.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

It wouldn't really do them any good from a business perspective to tell your customers no new products you care about are coming out for a long time. The mystery of what's next in CID is super frustrating because more often than not it's for models or factions you don't play, but if PP blatantly said "No new pigs in 2019", someone who is interested in picking up pigs with the hope CID could happen just won't buy them.

You want to put a schedule out there enough to drum excitement, like a new faction every year, R I O T Q U E S T, and saying *maybe* CID will happen for stuff you care about, but you don't want to put it so far out there you discourage sales for product that won't see updates.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Grymkin is explicitly a 'limited' faction. This communicates to the customer an expectation about how often they're going to get new product so they don't get discouraged. With the Grymkin getting their 2nd CID slot, it seems that my faction is in a tier below 'limited' and I'm discouraged. All I can do is assume the worst, which doesn't encourage me to buy models or continue playing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

counterspin posted:

I feel like Minions has been in a weird place through all of MK3, and with Grymkin getting a second CID before Pigs, it seems like they're on a plane for releases/work even below the 'limited' factions. And I can live with that, but I'd like them to take the time to communicate about it better.

Yeah, Cephalyx are similar. I'm always super sympathetic to not getting any updates, because they always said it was a minor faction, and actually the change from MK2 to 3 was pretty cool for Cephalyx, plus we got a second caster, but it's been such a rough ride otherwise.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

I've been doing some research and come up empty. Is there an image of a symbol of Kossk anywhere?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

!Klams posted:

Yeah, Cephalyx are similar. I'm always super sympathetic to not getting any updates, because they always said it was a minor faction, and actually the change from MK2 to 3 was pretty cool for Cephalyx, plus we got a second caster, but it's been such a rough ride otherwise.

Cephalyx arguably have the same diversity as the rest of the mercs, tho. Not entirely the same thing. Convergence is in a worse spot.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

counterspin posted:

I've been doing some research and come up empty. Is there an image of a symbol of Kossk anywhere?

There might be one in one of the RPG books? I’m not home right now so I can’t check.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Hey my dudes, am I seeing any of you in two weeks at ATC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Excelsiortothemax posted:

There might be one in one of the RPG books? I’m not home right now so I can’t check.

I glanced through the 2nd ed Minions book, but couldn't find it. Doesn't mean it isn't there.