Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

quote:

Researchers have identified a critical "hard-coded credentials" vulnerability (CVE-2018-7800) affecting Schneider Electric floor-standing EVLink Parking units (version 3.2.0-12_v1 and earlier) that could allow attackers to compromise the EVLink Parking device, according to reports. While researchers say it is unclear what additional access can be obtained by compromising the EVLink Parking device, they point out that the device is part of the EVLink Parking network that is remotely managed by a cloud-based central system. According to Schneider, the flaw can be addressed by applying the provided patch or mitigated using a firewall configured to block unauthorized access from remote or external users.

this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

speaking of meltdowns what's the status of the big spectre/meltdown hullabaloo from last year? how many systems out there are thought to still be vulnerable?

variant 4 came out and ms made a new mitigation for it. melt/spectre mitigations are still disabled by default for their server os's but win10 has them on by default and windows now has the microcode update bundled to mitigate spectre for most intel platforms you'll see in the wild. new cpu's are shipping with the microcode "fixes" built in but it will be years before we have silicon that is actually engineered around this issue. we'll likely see continued optimizations around syscall performance hurting disk calls from NVMe's that work around the performance impact of the mitigations before we see a true fix.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

this is good

ahh yes the advanced hacking technique of "hard-coded credentials"

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Github, on behalf of Microsoft, will be allowing unlimited free private repos for free accounts. I don't know if this is ol' drown out competition with free services thing or just let's try to accumulate all the data thing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

Github, on behalf of Microsoft, will be allowing unlimited free private repos for free accounts. I don't know if this is ol' drown out competition with free services thing or just let's try to accumulate all the data thing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

That girl looks like one of my cousins’s kids and every time I see it I go all :3:.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CmdrRiker posted:

free private repos can only have three collaborators, so it is pretty drat limited anyway

besides there is a bunch of enterprise features they still charge for, just microsofts modern realization that you want to rope in hobbyists with free tools to the extent possible, the real money is with cost-insensitive companies

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

free private repos can only have three collaborators, so it is pretty drat limited anyway

besides there is a bunch of enterprise features they still charge for, just microsofts modern realization that you want to rope in hobbyists with free tools to the extent possible, the real money is with cost-insensitive companies

I mean, tbf hasn’t this been their strategy with universities as well?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I might be too :tinfoil: when it comes to my data, but it is really strange to me when competitors use each other's tech services. I worked for a backup company that used project management software that was owned by a competitor's parent company and a major retailer that uses AWS services. I can't imagine most companies have their poo poo together enough to actually do anything nefarious with the data, but it still leaves me side eyeing stuff like FREE GITHUB FOR EVERYONE!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, tbf hasn’t this been their strategy with universities as well?

Yeah, make the kids in college learn your tools and then the companies that will hire them are forced to pay the service contracts. It works pretty well, I'm fine with it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1082687485887471616

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You can download it and cut out the pieces. It's not sold as a box game:

https://pen-testing.sans.org/blog/2018/10/02/sans-pen-test-poster-pivots-payloads-boardgame

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Midjack posted:

https://pen-testing.sans.org/blog/2018/10/02/sans-pen-test-poster-pivots-payloads-boardgame

This is something I am going to print and never tell anyone about because I will feel like a giant loser.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Midjack posted:

yeah. i should have linked to the pdf. i get lots of stuff from sans but i only do a course every few years. the only one i've really liked was the ics one i did years back

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

always a pleasure to see the classics still going strong

https://twitter.com/taber/status/1082716704730431488

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

NoneMoreNegative posted:

always a pleasure to see the classics still going strong

https://twitter.com/taber/status/1082716704730431488

was coming to share this, thread with a few more of the uncovered redactions:
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1082714380800798720

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Did chrome stop trusting disa.mil government CA? https://www.disa.mil/cybersecurity/network-defense/antivirus

:tinfoil:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ill field it this time: military signs their own certs

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Bhodi posted:

Did chrome stop trusting disa.mil government CA? https://www.disa.mil/cybersecurity/network-defense/antivirus

:tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/1082756012396797952

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

trust chain on that is completely hosed. you're not allowed to have an upstream trust intermediate have an expiration before the expiration of the downstream trust.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

trust chain on that is completely hosed. you're not allowed to have an upstream trust intermediate have an expiration before the expiration of the downstream trust.

how do you even achieve that

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

okay welcome to the loving dumbest pki implementation I have ever seen:

wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19
DOD ID SW CA-38 exp 9/23/21
DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19 <-- lol
DoD Interop Root CA 2 exp 8/15/19 <-- lolè
Federal Bridge CA 2016 exp 5/15/20
TSCO SHA256 Bridge CA exp 2/19/19 <-- who the gently caress is this?
Alexion Pharmaceuticals Issue 2 CA exp 8/2/27 <-- WHO THE gently caress IS THIS??

Why the gently caress doesn't this stop at DoD Root CA 3 is beyond me but even that they hosed up your root should always have the last expiration date

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I 100% assure you the actual mil systems are pushing all their hosed up root and intermediate certs through GPOs to override the numerous PKI validation errors

hahahaha Alexion is a Symantec-issued cert mischief managed

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Alexion Pharmaceuticals Issue 2 CA exp 8/2/27 <-- WHO THE gently caress IS THIS??

Why the gently caress doesn't this stop at DoD Root CA 3 is beyond me but even that they hosed up your root should always have the last expiration date

holy heck

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

You forgot Diginotar Root CA X3

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

what the actual gently caress

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

what in fuckin tarnation

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I wonder if they attempted to somehow shim in the Symantec trust chain behind the DoD Root CA after the fact when all the contractors and whoever on non-mil systems didn't have it in their trust store and complained about the validation errors. That sounds like something dumb enough for Symantec to try for a buck. There shouldn't be any trust chain to civ computers on this at all.

fyi there's like 4 or more different trust chains on this mess depending on your browser/os/phase of the moon

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.disa.mil&s=156.112.108.76&hideResults=on

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2019

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

Ah the Pine Gap CA

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

I wonder if they attempted to somehow shim in the Symantec trust chain behind the DoD Root CA after the fact when all the contractors and whoever on non-mil systems didn't have it in their trust store and complained about the validation errors. That sounds like something dumb enough for Symantec to try for a buck. There shouldn't be any trust chain to civ computers on this at all.

fyi there's like 4 or more different trust chains on this mess depending on your browser/os/phase of the moon

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=www.disa.mil&s=156.112.108.76&hideResults=on

This might be an example of someone having more responsibility than they have experience or training.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

The amount of fuckery I see in those various attempts at trust chains would take a team of the finest idiots you could find years to achieve

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The amount of fuckery I see in those various attempts at trust chains would take a team of the finest idiots you could find years to achieve

truly military grade encryption

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

in my experience, upnp is usually the result of having had too much beer

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Most likely answer: They've cross signed the CA (as everyone does) but due to wacky devices and whatever old CAs they trusted had to cross sign it to something dumb.

Do that for each CA and you see something like that.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

apseudonym posted:

Most likely answer: They've cross signed the CA (as everyone does) but due to wacky devices and whatever old CAs they trusted had to cross sign it to something dumb.

Do that for each CA and you see something like that.

Does that mean that this list is unordered once past the first few levels (DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19) and since the CAs are cross signed the "wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19 < Alexion Pharmaceuticals Issue 2 CA exp 8/2/27 && wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19 > DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19" dates can still be valid?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PCjr sidecar posted:

truly military grade encryption

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

Does that mean that this list is unordered once past the first few levels (DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19) and since the CAs are cross signed the "wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19 < Alexion Pharmaceuticals Issue 2 CA exp 8/2/27 && wwww.disa.mil exp 11/18/19 > DoD Root CA 3 exp 2/17/19" dates can still be valid?

The bag of certs in a TLS connection is unordered (except that the first one is the server cert), so if you have something like:

Server -> Intermediate -> Root where Root is also Cross signed by Old the bag of certs might be Server, Intermediate, Root_crosssigned

For devices that have Root in their trust store they will build Server -> Intermediate -> Root (Root_crosssigned is ignored) and on old devices you'd build Server -> Intermediate -> Root_crossigned -> Old, you might do this for multiple levels if you have a CA that is itself cross signed by something newish, correct clients prefer trust anchors in path building so it works nicely.

However, the server is just returning the leaf and not any other certificates and that's the actual issue. The certificate paths you're seeing in SSLlabs are just possible paths given their set of known certificates so yeah with cross signing you can see a bunch of weird ones but that doesnt mean that's what is actually used and its just SSLLabs trying to find valid paths by following every possible bridge it knows about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

it's the interoperability certificate so we need to have it signed by everyone we interoperate with, duh

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well this is a tome of a bug report: https://hackerone.com/reports/409850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

RWC going well so far

https://twitter.com/durumcrustulum/status/1083059647211323392

https://twitter.com/durumcrustulum/status/1083060483031269377

https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/016.pdf