Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Trump could have just poo poo on the floor and Graham would have acted like it was America's finest moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Seph posted:

Has there ever been a freshman lawmaker as young and as visible as AOC? I can't think of any. In fact I can't think of any freshman representative that I've paid attention to besides her. So I wouldn't take the (fair, IMO) criticism that she's unpolished as sexist. She just happens to be new and in the spotlight.

Henry Clay was a feshman a month shy of his 34th birthday when he was Elected Speaker of the House. Was instrumental in getting us into war with Britain within the year.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Him being The Dumb Corinthian kinda makes sense

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

With how boring and awful it was it makes it even more funny and pathetic that Graham went all in on Hannity calling it "Trump's finest presidential moment"

A valium moment maybe
Did Van Jones say he was presidential?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

bobjr posted:

Trump could have just poo poo on the floor and Graham would have acted like it was America's finest moment.

"I would like to see one of those parasite riddled founding fathers form a bowel movement as solid as Trumps". - Lindsay Graham

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Please stop engaging bad faith trolls.

The AOC interview was awesome and the poster above nailed it by calling out the huge double standard between male and female politicians. "Oh no she looked at her notes" seriously? Just this week she had to defend herself from essentially being called totally clueless because she misinterpreted one statistic. So she course corrects and brings notes and that's also not acceptable. Funny how that works.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope no one reads the NYT.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Catalyst-proof posted:

Oh gently caress. You think he's just trying to starve out the Department of Justice so the investigation stops? Like, it's not four dimensional chess or anything. It's probably the only thing on his mind. Stop the investigation. Stop the investigation. So he has an out. "The shutdown could go on for months or years." Long enough to stave off the Mueller report, he's hoping.

That might work if the Mueller Report wasn't an essential service that was being funded regardless.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

CelestialScribe posted:

Listen, I've said before I'm not a fan of AOC. She's super green and she's said some stupid stuff.

But far out, supporters in this thread need to make a choice.

She's either green, needs time to prepare and is trying her best.

Or, she's the next coming of Christ and ready to run for president when the time comes.

You can't have both.

She's one (1) of four hundred and thirty-five (435). Seems like she's doing ok.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fulchrum posted:

That might work if the Mueller Report wasn't an essential service that was being funded regardless.

What if we created an Investigation Coin Crypto to support Mueller?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1082840855180963840

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

So the thread is going to spend more time fighting about AOC instead of discussing a nationally televised presidential address/campaign ad or the Manafort news today.

I’m not sure I should be surprised really.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Also Celestial Scribe is a drat Aussie so his hottakes of US Reps are kinda meaningless.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Big Wet President can read out loud for eight whole minutes without stuttering or blurting out racial slurs. So Presidential!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Retro42 posted:

So the thread is going to spend more time fighting about AOC instead of discussing a nationally televised presidential address/campaign ad or the Manafort news today.

Yeah, we kinda just found out that the thing Mueller is accusing him of lying about is that he loving colluded with Russia on the voter targetting

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1082839415075061760

The New York Times will absolutely damage the next Democratic nominee whomever it is.

The comments are rightly dragging them but the ratio seems weird

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Right wing voters literally believe Dems want unlimited illegal immigration to win elections

While they are disenfranchising everyone they can to hold onto power.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro42 posted:

In fairness the presidential address was a giant ball of nothing, but yeah, the Manafort stuff is the actual news of the day.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

This is very stupid and needlessly inflamatory.

The reason there were people saying "Huh, this is one of the first times I've heard her and she's kind of underwhelming" is because there were a LOT of people making a huge deal about her speaking and saying she should give the direct address and how she should be given a spot at the DNC that will blow everyone away and its too bad she has to wait to run for President and GO AOC! So expectations were built up.

And that's not remotely her fault. Its the personality cult following and it does a disservice to a very good political upstart. Just like accusing people of being misogynists if they have mild criticisms of her speaking skills is unnecessary and does a disservice.

People getting excited about AOC are not responsible for the actions of people tearing her down lol, this is some incredible gaslighting, like "it's liberals' fault we conservatives voted for Trump" level gaslighting.

A woman is making a big splash in politics, that makes a ton of people uncomfortable so they look for any excuse to tear her down and show that she's overrated and that leads to ridiculous criticisms like a newbie doesn't sound like Obama did after 20 years on the job, nobody is forcing them to do it lmao they're showing their rear end all on their own.

STAC Goat posted:

Also you know very well that the people attacking her mistakes in RWM are not the same people posting in this thread.

I am willing to concede that at least some of those people are just dumb and didn't connect "person dragged day in and day out for every middling mistake on a figure" and "person starts bringing notes to interviews"

E: also "person is deliberately misquoted in a media campaign to smear her" and "person writes down precisely what she wants to say when talking to the media"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 9, 2019

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Why do we even give a gently caress about the reaction "within his orbit"? They're gonna say he was great no matter what. It's not giving us information it's just giving more spin time to them

blah

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Retro42 posted:

The Manafort news has been discussed for hours already and Trump's inane ramblings were just more of the same. It might be news if he said anything of substance whatsoever.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

As if, I'm pretty sure they stop letting guys that fat on horses, it's bad for them.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

...I don’t think I’ve ever seen a “mouth > eyes” edit where it‘s so difficult to tell it’s an edit.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 9, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Right wing voters literally believe Dems want unlimited illegal immigration to win elections

I mean, I do.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Honestly I feel Angry Ranting Trump would have gone over better, because then you would see news outlets talk about how passionate he is. This just reminds you when you see a grandparent at thanksgiving and they just start quietly rambling and you feel bad at how old they look.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
You know, I just realized that I wish we actually had politicians who were fit enough to reenact this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUC2EQvdzmY

Also: Really looking forward to whatever else comes out of the Manafort stuff this week. Maybe that is why orangeman was so low energy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bobjr posted:

Honestly I feel Angry Ranting Trump would have gone over better, because then you would see news outlets talk about how passionate he is. This just reminds you when you see a grandparent at thanksgiving and they just start quietly rambling and you feel bad at how old they look.

Never forget every major media outlet is DYING to write the trump redemption story. They want nothing else than for him to pivot. If he had signed that ridiculous 25 billion dollar for the wall bill there would have been paper bricks written about how he had cut through the partisan divide, etc.

They're never going to stop giving him that chance.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

pseudanonymous posted:

As if, I'm pretty sure they stop letting guys that fat on horses, it's bad for them.

Trump would rather donate five million dollars to the NAACP than risk trying to get on and off a horse in view of a camera.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

bobjr posted:

There was no way it could have gone better. The expectation was for a major announcement or speech. That’s the whole point of a national address. Instead it was written as a defensive political rant. Trump lost this round before it started.

Edit: Personally I think he loses support within the party because of this. It did nothing to help and pulled the focus right back on him even harder.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 9, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The "more video" clip is a pro-click. A great combination of passion and policy. AOC did a fine job tonight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro42 posted:

There was no way it could have gone better. The expectation was for a major announcement or speech. That’s the whole point of a national address. Instead it was written as a defensive political rant. Trump lost this round before it started.

Yeah, everyone knew this was going to be a waste of time. Only the panicky folk really expressed anything different or worried that the networks had given Trump the key to change America's minds.

And by the news reports even Trump seemed to realize this was a loser and didn't want to do it.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So much for Kushner's predictions.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How many other nationally televised presidential speeches like this have there even been? I only remember one from Obama, when we started bombing ISIS. I remember a few from Bush, about 9-11, invading Iraq, etc. I think Clinton had a few, including one when we thought we found proof of past life on Mars lol.

Like this has to be the biggest wet fart of all speeches like this, right?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So I take it I didn't miss anything important by doing dumb side quests in Breath of the Wild, huh.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tibalt posted:

So I take it I didn't miss anything important by doing dumb side quests in Breath of the Wild, huh.

You missed a few koroks probably

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Honestly his advisors are even bigger loving idiots than he is.

Trump's one unique oratory strength is his arrogant, mocking cadence and tone. He is at his best (worst) when he can be combative. His idiot advisors thought a man that is literally all style should go completely on substance, which is a gently caress awful strategy because the man is a vacuous hole in terms of intellectual ability

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TulliusCicero posted:

Honestly his advisors are even bigger loving idiots than he is.

It helps that his advisors are just yes men.

But like their logic actually is consistent. "Demcrats don't want a wall, so just call it something else and they'll be happy!" "People criticize him for ranting angrily, so have him say the same stuff calmly and they'll love him!" Its the same pattern of stupidity at least.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Tibalt posted:

All you missed was the opportunity to play a better game.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Glad they let a sleepy Trump go on TV to weakly read the bad tweets he made last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
After watching Chuck and Nancy's response that boiled down to 'we agree we need lots of racist border control but walls are icky so gently caress off' it genuinely is nice to see AOC going on a major network to say 'but why are we even funding ICE at all though'.