Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

The months following 911 were the most surreal thing I've experienced. The local news had to warn people about jogging while wearing gas masks. My middle school had a detailed plan of how to respond to a chemical weapons attack. The national guard had troops stationed in the airports to make people feel "safe".

It's weird how little that period of hyper paranoia is discussed in mainstream culture. The only show I remember pointing out how absurd it all was is South Park.

The nearest mall to me closed down on 9/11, despite being thousands of miles from ground zero and in a town of under 50,000 people. It reopened after it became clear that there was not a Gladio-style network executing terror attacks across the Midwest. Looking back on that time is absolutely surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I suddenly remembered how in the 04 election people would say Bush "kept us safe". My dad would say this and when I reminded him of 911 (never forget lol) he would say it "didn't count"

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died
I'll always remember how 911 was both this really sensitive thing you had to tiptow around and ban Dio songs over, but you'd turn on Modern Marvels: Concrete or whatever and they'd find a way to make it about 911.

gently caress better memory: also towards the end of Bush's presidency there was a coordinated effort among rightwing media to get people to think 911 happened under Clinton.

Carl Von Awesomwitz has issued a correction as of 23:39 on Jan 8, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Well I'm glad all that craziness is done and definitely won't happen again!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

You shouldn't have to hide your hairline when you're that young.

It's hard to live your life as twenty toddlers in a suit

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

chaleski posted:

My mostly white preppy high school would have Muslim students go from class to class and do a little speech thing just to let everyone know they weren't all violent extremists, I think the girl being really nice and widely liked helped a bit

I also distinctly remember hearing people, like full grown loving adults, talking about the chances of a terrorist attack happening here, like Al Qaeda would give a poo poo about attacking Sacramento lol

in baton rouge they evacuated the state capitol building (it's one of the tallest that makes it a target!!!!1) and blocked off the interstate around downtown

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

I suddenly remembered how in the 04 election people would say Bush "kept us safe". My dad would say this and when I reminded him of 911 (never forget lol) he would say it "didn't count"

that poo poo was fuckin eeeeeeverywhere

"no terrorist attacks on american soil since 9/11" is like "this convicted murderer hasn't killed a single person since that first one"

and it wasn't even true - those anthrax mail attacks started up like later that month

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
poo poo was, in fact, nuts.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that poo poo was fuckin eeeeeeverywhere

"no terrorist attacks on american soil since 9/11" is like "this convicted murderer hasn't killed a single person since that first one"

and it wasn't even true - those anthrax mail attacks started up like later that month

also the DC beltway sniper(s) in 2002

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

its a real shame there werent any other major attacks after 9/11 the us would have deffo destroyed itself after that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
those anthrax attacks happened to senators

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HobbitGrease posted:

Dio - Holy Diver

whattttttttttttttttttttttttt
It seems to be based on a bunch of radio executives playing 3rd grade level word association while watching TV

System Metternich posted:

The days and weeks immediately following 9/11 were weird enough over here in Germany, I can’t imagine how they must have been in the US. I’m imagining flags and awkwardly shoehorned-in patriotism (and xenophobia) everywhere, am I right?
Every

Single

Car

My mom's coworker's husband is Lebanese and was stopped and patted down on the afternoon of 9/11 while jogging on a sidewalk in suburban CT. I can't even try to guess guess how many times I heard people say "towel head" over the next few weeks in high school.

Spergin Morlock posted:

and it would always magically go to orange right before every election
And literally every time something politically inconvenient for the administration happened.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcQmpg2IBcM

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://youtu.be/IAirvNGLZqw

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
for every crazy thing we can remember about post 9/11 there are like five crazy things that became normal and are still going on

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i saw one of those see-thru decals of a giant rippling flag across a truck's rear window the other day

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Didn't the UK probably assassanate some spy who didn't want to play ball with the fake WMD evidence?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Didn't the UK probably assassanate some spy who didn't want to play ball with the fake WMD evidence?

David Kelly. He was a scientist, not a spy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

the onion was so good back then:

https://local.theonion.com/security-beefed-up-at-cedar-rapids-public-library-1819566183

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ-uawJQ-M

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Are there any books or articles detailing the collective paranoia and jingoism gripping the US after the attacks? As a culture historian, this sounds like a super interesting (and also depressing) topic.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump saying wrt to the various DNC hacks that it could be "Some 400 pound goon laying on a mattress"

....And hillarys email server being setup by a goon who when it was found out purged his reddit and forums account

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Claire McCaskill writing op-eds about how to win elections in red states in the middle of packing her poo poo and going home because she lost

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

zegermans posted:

Claire McCaskill writing op-eds about how to win elections in red states in the middle of packing her poo poo and going home because she lost

Her rambling about how she's not "one of those crazy democrats" who yells at republicans and then getting trounced a few days later was some exquisite schadenfreude.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
lol at me circa 2012 thinking John Huntsman would have any kind of political capital in the future presidential elections

my :basta: moment

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

the endless stream of “here’s how Bernie is gonna win” articles even when Hillary has clinched the nomination

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

the endless stream of “here’s how Bernie is gonna win” articles even when Hillary has clinched the nomination

the endless stream of “here’s how Hillary can still win” articles even after Trump won.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

and then here comes 2020 and Bernie is the only loving chance of beating Trump, lol

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Fellbat posted:

the endless stream of “here’s how Hillary can still win” articles even after Trump won.

jill stein walking away with millions from libs and using them to pay her staff a lot of money

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

zegermans posted:

mccaskill melting down about people having the audacity to question her voting record, telling them to STFU and blaming them for her loss

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
hillary going on tv the day after the election like

"please help me, the illuminati have denied me further youth injections, I don't have much time left"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Javid posted:

hillary going on tv the day after the election like

"please help me, the illuminati have denied me further youth injections, I don't have much time left"

as terrible as Trump is and has been for the world over the past couple of years, it is a consolation prize to think about her venal, sociopathic ego being shattered into teeny, tiny bits. just imagine being a fly on her wall on election night.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
people would go looking for hilldog in the woods like Sasquatch

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

System Metternich posted:

Are there any books or articles detailing the collective paranoia and jingoism gripping the US after the attacks? As a culture historian, this sounds like a super interesting (and also depressing) topic.

Fiasco by Thomas Ricks is about Iraq specifically but the first part covers how the Bush administration used the hysteria to push their fabricated case for war

Speaking of Iraq, Paul Bremer firing the entire Iraqi army overnight lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Remember when Howard Dean made that weird yell and it effectively ended his presidential candidacy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Comrayn posted:

people would go looking for hilldog in the woods like Sasquatch

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

shyduck posted:

Remember when Howard Dean made that weird yell and it effectively ended his presidential candidacy

perhaps for the best, if his future career in lobbying for the health insurance industry is any indication. to think the Dem establishment considered him a threat at the time...

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc

Convention floor fight! Second ballot! Defecting superdelegates! Some procedural bullshit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

as terrible as Trump is and has been for the world over the past couple of years, it is a consolation prize to think about her venal, sociopathic ego being shattered into teeny, tiny bits. just imagine being a fly on her wall on election night.

she'll have to cry herself to sleep in her pile of money