Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Literally 2 posts above yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mahoning posted:

Literally 2 posts above yours.

Oh ffs :doh:

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYmaO5xzlw

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Billy Crystal is going to be on color commentary for an LA Clippers game because... reasons

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He's a legit clippers fan and has had season tickets for a long time I think. Also I think they'll kinda take what they can get when it comes to celebrity fans. They've been surprisingly competitive this year but I also don't think they really care about much other than developing their young guys until they can make a run at Kawhi in the offseason so why not

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ, stephen

quote:

“I don’t want to come across as harsh or unsympathetic to Josh Gordon,” begins Smith, before doing exactly that. “But let’s be very, very clear here, you’ve got a whole bunch of people out there talking about ‘it’s a disease, it’s a disease,’ because it’s an addiction. Well I’m not going to debunk or eliminate the notion that it’s a disease, but how did it become one? Because you can’t get addicted to something you never try. This isn’t cancer. This isn’t Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, or something like that. This is self-inflicted.”

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Whoa the ".......WHO WAS ON CRACK" guy has bad addiction takes I'm floored

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’ll never forget a couple of years ago when some dumb rear end Oscars exec signed off on letting him wear blackface in the intro. It wasn’t even that long ago.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1077981390103240706

i got an e-mail about it and the acc network is indeed a reason for this dispute

wouldn't be surprised to see a few more of these in the next year, i know last year there was one with the former cablevision for the same reasons

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah carriage disputes have been a lot more frequent lately.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1079407140303974400

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NBCSChicago/status/1080514614977327105

between this and the cubs starting their own channel, the local wgn has no more sports

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think LeBatard pissed off the Gods, because both Mean Gene and Super Dave died today

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

holy poo poo. Mene Gene i felt bad about but I loved Bob Einstein. This sucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fear not, college football fans, ESPN is going to beat off over CFB every bit as much as they do the NFL all off-season

I mean, this isn't very different from normal, but now all the moreso.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1080572317539852288?s=21

when the stubbornness of the people who run the rose and sugar bowls have consequences

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

get angry internet

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1080826899633459200

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah scheduling coaches for that film room might be more trouble than it's worth, plus there's a massive college football coaching convention/conference every year that basically starts the weekend of the national championship.

E: Crossposting a cool read from Wyshynski about how Spanish hockey announcers translate the game

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 3, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/NBCSChicago/status/1080514614977327105

between this and the cubs starting their own channel, the local wgn has no more sports

gently caress that sucks. I've been without cable, and not even using a streaming service for a couple years now. I'd sign up for the playoffs if I really needed to, and just watch whatever games I could get on WGN during the season. Might end up signing back up, but I'll probably hold out and just watch less.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/1081724100601614336

we need refcam in all sports and leagues immediately

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was not aware the Eagles had a spanish language radio crew and their call of the missed FG last night is pretty great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you can't get enough sexism, racism, antisemitism, and just general unfunny shitheads with your sports, good news! Now you can pay barstool!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1082825625294000133

i was listening a recent richard deitsch' podcast with james andrew miller and this idea was floated around

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Would they drop Monday night then?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Would they drop Monday night then?

Possibly. ESPN isn't happy at all with what they're forking out for MNF.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i get that it's impossible without flex scheduling but it feels like monday night games suck rear end like 80% of the time

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should get rid of Thursday games and do a Monday doubleheader all year.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should get rid of Thursday games and do a Monday doubleheader all year.

Im all for it for football reasons and you can squint and imagine yourself having a beer and watching the game with randy moss but espn would probably gently caress it up and bring back dilfer and have frank caliendo as a sideline reporter

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I seriously don't get why they haven't added an extra bye week. With fantasy football and inevitable sports gambling legalization, people can get by without their favorite team playing. It gives the league and networks an extra week of games and would allow them to set the schedule so that most Thursday night games come after the team's bye.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Timby posted:

Possibly. ESPN isn't happy at all with what they're forking out for MNF.

The MNF deal sucks, yeah, but they need the NFL as live programming something fierce.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

hifi posted:

Im all for it for football reasons and you can squint and imagine yourself having a beer and watching the game with randy moss but espn would probably gently caress it up and bring back dilfer and have frank caliendo as a sideline reporter

You just could sell it as separate packages to replace the money you lost

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The entire NFL TV model needs completely revamped. The whole Sunday package screams "we're doing it this way because this is the way we've always done it." Time slots, blackout rules, Sunday Ticket.....it's all outdated.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

The entire NFL TV model needs completely revamped. The whole Sunday package screams "we're doing it this way because this is the way we've always done it." Time slots, blackout rules, Sunday Ticket.....it's all outdated.

A lot of it has to do with the current contracts. They're super favorable to the NFL and their partners. "Exclusive streaming rights? Why am I going to give that up?" -Direct TV. And the NFL will gladly milk that for all that its worth.

There is a critical tipping point that will eventually cause it to change, but as long as the CBS and Fox contracts are valid (the Sunday day/afternoon game rights ones), don't expect much to change. It remains the only major US sport where only a fraction of the games are not on broadcast television.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah for as much as streaming has grown in popularity, broadcast network TV is still an absolute goliath, and the big cable networks aren't that far behind.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

A lot of the owners are still old guys who are scared of change in how broadcast is done.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Isn’t there, like, a bona-fide law that says every NFL game needs to be shown OTA in their local market unless blacked out?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Isn’t there, like, a bona-fide law that says every NFL game needs to be shown OTA in their local market unless blacked out?

I don't know if it's an outright law but yeah I'm about positive there's something in the broadcast deal/contract/whatever with the NFL and local markets.

I believe Detroit came super close to this coming into effect a number of years ago when they came dangerously close to having a game blacked out. May have been in their winless year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think they ended the attendance blackout policy. They still have "home game blackouts", which means that if you're the network with two games that day, and the opposing network has one and is carrying the local team, you can only show the game that is NOT opposite of that game. It used to impact Milwaukee but they ended that a few years ago as well.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The issue is the OTA agreement. It’s why the games on ESPN and NFL Network are shown on local broadcasters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's some conspiracy theory thats says the guy who negotaited MNF on the NFL end was a former ESPN employee still salty he was let go and intentionally screwed over ESPN and gave NBC a much better deal for SNF